Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Low Number of Modelines  (Read 1861 times)

thevidiot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:41:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Low Number of Modelines
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:54:34 am »
Hi, I am wondering if someone could point me in the correct direction here. 

I have an HD6700 and D9800, Windows 7 64-bit with latest GroovyMAME and CRT Emudriver packages.  I ran the AMD driver cleanup utility before attempting my latest install.

Calamity's driver installs fine.   I run VMMaker, and EDID works, D9800 detected, using "user_modes - super".    VMMaker however, only creates 30 modelines for my configuration.  My questions:

1. Should there be more than 30?
2. Does the number of modelines created depend on the number and type of ROMS present in the roms folder?
3. What data could I provide you, in order to assist in troubleshooting?

Many thanks!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Low Number of Modelines
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 05:50:04 pm »
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=46

There are two settings (ini) files for VMM, by default "monitor.ini" and "user modes.ini". Read the monitor presets sticky at the top of this subforum, then open these files and edit them.

You *can* generate modes from the mame.xml, but it's not worth it if you want to use super resolutions. And if you have to ask what super resolutions are, find the guides for installing crt_emudriver on that same site :)

thevidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:15:38 pm »
Thanks for the info. 

I had assumed that selecting the D9800 in VMMaker would have inserted all available modes into the ini, but it does not?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:52:16 pm »
Thanks for the info. 

I had assumed that selecting the D9800 in VMMaker would have inserted all available modes into the ini, but it does not?

It doesn't work like that. The idea is that different users need different list of modes, even if using the same monitor. The aim is total flexibility, even if there's some extra effort required on the user, basically to tell VMMaker which modes to add. Using super resolutions is the most "automatic" way to get things working.

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

thevidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:33:00 pm »
Interesting!  Thanks for the reply.  I did use the "user_modes - super.ini" file as instructed in the Crt Emudriver installation (http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1052#p1052).   I need to modify this file further in order to get more than the 30 modes with my monitor?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:52:10 pm »
I need to modify this file further in order to get more than the 30 modes with my monitor?

If you tell VMM to generate modes from a file, it only generates the modes in that file, and only those in the file that fall within the monitor specs (crt_range lines in the monitor.ini file) you tell it you have.

If you want more video modes, add them to the user modes.ini. If they're in the user modes.ini, consider creating a custom crt_range line (copy an existing one and modify is easiest). Just be sure your monitor can handle what you say it can - you won't kill it instantly regardless, but it's best to move in small steps if you're not sure.