Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So I have this 500G hard drive with artwork...  (Read 3913 times)

Mattiekrome

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Laser Rocket Arm
Re: So I have this 500G hard drive with artwork...
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2018, 07:07:44 pm »
Interesting.

If somewhere along the line that drive starts getting mailed around again, I'd like a spot in the rotation

pezley

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 04:47:39 pm »
I have 500gb spare in my one drive I can give you access to? I can leave it there for a bit to give guys here a chance to download it.  Maybe zip it to 100mb chunks to make it manageable

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 10:27:12 am »
Think he disappeared - hasn't been back to the Forum in about a month and it's been 2 months with no decision on what to do and too many conflicts on how/who should have access to make it worth the effort involved - so chances are it's not gonna happen  :dunno

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Online Online
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2018, 12:05:32 pm »
Yep, I'm thinking the same thing.

Does anyone else still have this drive from the original recipients? We might be able to find someone else willing to put something up on a cloud drive.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2018, 12:10:05 pm »
Think he disappeared - hasn't been back to the Forum in about a month and it's been 2 months with no decision on what to do and too many conflicts on how/who should have access to make it worth the effort involved - so chances are it's not gonna happen  :dunno

I had a stack of spare drives, I was going to clone it a buncha times and spread the love.  Zero fox given.
No matter one's station in life, the Dance of Death unites us all.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2018, 01:22:06 pm »
Well that's disappointing...

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 07:22:47 pm »
Ignorant of this thread, I started a new thread with my ideas on how we can handle archiving of artwork:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158023.0.html

Hopefully Dervacumen returns someday. That hard drive is a perfect candidate for the vault. I'll send him a PM. :dunno

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 08:49:32 pm »
OK -

It's happening - sorry for dropping out. Never enough time in my day anymore.
Glad to see pbj is still as pleasant as always.
I am sending this to Malenko once I hear back from him - hopefully he'll take care of you guys! I'm sure he will.  :cheers:

Derv

Bringing to life a child's imagination.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 10:12:43 pm »
Address sent.  I have a couple drives I can clone and ship out; I'll eat the cost.  I'll probably make a torrent or something too
No matter one's station in life, the Dance of Death unites us all.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 10:44:14 pm »
Glad to hear from you again, Dervacumen.

Malenko, I'd love a copy. Or, I can wait for the torrent. Either way, I'd be happy to chip in some dollars if you send me your PayPal.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 11:00:01 pm »
Address sent.  I have a couple drives I can clone and ship out; I'll eat the cost.  I'll probably make a torrent or something too

Maybe we could set up a list and have each person pay to ship it to the next person after they clone the drive ( say give each person 3 days or so to clone it and get it out to the next person) that way the couple drives could make the rounds ( figure you send them to a couple people and then they clone them to a new hdd when they get it and repackage and send to the next person ( and post the tracking number here when sent so everyone can keep track of where they are and about how far down the list they are - so if needed they can swap positions if going on vacation around the time it's coming their way to keep it from sitting too long.) - then when the next person gets it they do the same ( figure they should fit in a small flat rate box so the cost wouldn't be very much in return for getting a chance to clone it.)  :cheers:
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:06:11 pm by JDFan »

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 11:45:32 pm »
Good idea!

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 11:47:33 pm »
Of course the virtual version of this is a torrent :)

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
    • Arcade Classics Games Cabinets
« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 11:47:50 pm »

Maybe we could set up a list and have each person pay to ship it to the next person after they clone the drive ( say give each person 3 days or so to clone it and get it out to the next person) that way the couple drives could make the rounds ( figure you send them to a couple people and then they clone them to a new hdd when they get it and repackage and send to the next person ( and post the tracking number here when sent so everyone can keep track of where they are and about how far down the list they are - so if needed they can swap positions if going on vacation around the time it's coming their way to keep it from sitting too long.) - then when the next person gets it they do the same ( figure they should fit in a small flat rate box so the cost wouldn't be very much in return for getting a chance to clone it.)  :cheers:

I'd love a copy of it too, but might cost a bit and take too long for the drive to come to Thailand.

Can you make a torrent out of the drive? It would be much easier. There is no need to publicise the torrent, just put a link/torrent file with this thread - or we could even limit that to just people that PM asking for it.

I also have a very large collection of arcade art buried in my 4.5 TB NAS. But My NAS is turned off as I can't find a replacement 1.5 GB hard drive for the one that has failed (nobody seems to sell them anymore). I don't want to turn it on and risk another drive failing until I have a new NAS to replace it.

Honestly, mailing a hard drive around is so 20th Century. It takes a long time, costs a lot of money, and puts all that valuable data at significant risk of loss.

All said, I'd rather "preserve" this 500GB drive + my own artwork data by putting it into a torrent. That way my artwork will be "backed up" by all you wonderful people downloading it.

Cheers, Zeb :D
Check out my latest projects!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
    • Arcade Classics Games Cabinets
« Reply #54 on: Today at 12:32:26 am »
Here's a thought... I buy new NAS, add my restored artwork data + this 500GB drive + anything else that comes along... and introduce a torrent (or small series of torrents, based on subject/purpose/media lines, to break up the chunk of data a bit). My NAS will always* be on. I'll keep permanently seeding from my NAS as long as necessary/possible. I have fibre-optic to the house, uncapped with a theoretical 30mbps from that (for downloading, not sure what the actual upload speed is.

Or someone else like malenko or yo1dog sets up something similar, I buy my new NAS anyway (because I want to regardless), download and add +1 to the permanent seeds available. Once we have 2-4 seeds with decent bandwidth it will be much easier for others to download as well.

* "always" as in almost always on of course. I do/will run the NAS on a UPS, but sometimes sheet happens or you need to update something.
Check out my latest projects!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31