Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: plastic pedal broken on steering  (Read 2649 times)

Chris2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2023, 09:34:34 am
  • Servin' up Bacon.
plastic pedal broken on steering
« on: February 15, 2018, 03:15:21 am »
Hey all, sorry if there is a topic on this already. I searched and didn't see one.

I have a cheap gamecube/xbox/ps2 wheel I picked up to use for some various games across those systems (including arcade collections of course). My problem is the brake pedal is broken off, the stem of the pedal was snapped in half. I wasn't fully aware of this when I bought it, my fault for not checking thoroughly the contents of the box  :P

The two pieces more or less 'fit' back together flush, so I think it should be repairable. But I'm concerned that with something that's literally stomped on by design that it might not last if I fix it poorly.

Is there a reasonable way to repair this and restore functionality, and if so, how would it be done? If not, I guess I can toss it, but I'd prefer to fix it if only to say I tossed out one less thing this week :afro:

Thanks all!
"Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?"

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:47:02 pm
Re: plastic pedal broken on steering
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:16:41 am »
I'd use JB Weld Plasticweld.
Clean the parts with 90% isopropyl alcohol.
Glue the broken surfaces together with the epoxy.
(make sure at least one surface is coated fully so there are no weaker empty spaces left in between the parts)
After that cures fully, coat the outside of the cracks with more epoxy.

Let it cure completely before subjecting it to any tests.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:19:49 am by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 03:42:26 pm »
If there is enough surface area you might also consider buying some mending plates and bolting both halves together for extra strength.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Builders-Hardware-Mending-Plates/N-5yc1vZasc4

Those little things work wonders assuming it's broken in such a way that one can use them. 

Also pedals are relatively cheap on ebay second hand as sim enthusiasts will upgrade pedals on their sets.  Since yours are the el-cheapo plastic kind anything would probably be as good or better.... you'd just need to re-wire them and possibly swap some pots. 

pixel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:17:39 pm »
In my experience,  JBWELD  is Garbage.

It was never stucturally strong enough for anything worthwhile... and would crumble with little stress.

Use  Quik-Steel  instead.

I believe quick-steel (plastics version / white)... is over 5000 psi,  when fully cured.
  It will be hard as a Rock,  in about 5 to 6 min flat.   So hard... that you will find it almost impossible to scratch with a metal nail.

Ive used it to make a custom adapter for a dishwasher hookup.   I messed up the first attempt,  as I didnt let it fully cure.. but,
the 2nd time... it held up Perfectly.   Mind you... the pressure of the water,  was very high.. and it never so much as leaked a single
drip.

Ive repaired cracked Laptops with it.   Ive used it to make keychain adapters.

Unlike JBWELD,   you can carve, drill, and shape it.. without it cracking and crumbling.

The stuff is absolutely the Best.

Just make sure you work Fast.  Maybe 2 min to kneed the mix... and 2 min max to place / shape...  as not long after that.. it will almost
immediately become an non-pliable Rock.

If not using the whole thing... fold the wrap over the end,  then insert it end down into the tube... and seal the tube with the stopper.
Store in a dark / cool  place,  and it should remain usable for some time after.  (You usually have to cut off a little bit of the end, as it
often gets a little crusty/cured)