Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New monitor. Would like advice on software, drivers pls for set up.  (Read 1596 times)

zod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2018, 05:55:46 am
  • I'm a llama!
Hi. recently been playing around with the following gear.

PC:
WinXP 32bit (not sure which is best for emulation, this or 64bit?, or another OS?)
4gb ram
Radeon 4850
core duo 2 E4000

Monitor:
Compaq P110
VGA
BNC

I would like some advice pls regarding setting up soft 15hz, groovy mame, crt emulation and the appropriate amd drivers.

IVe heard you can set up a 31khz to run at 120hz which draws the picture twice? then adding a scanline effect and turning the brightness way up you can acheive an effect similar to my sony BVM.
Got this info from the Sony BVM/PVM fb group.

Ive also hear something about a linux live disc being used for emulation?

Any help would be great.

Thanks  :D

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: New monitor. Would like advice on software, drivers pls for set up.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:53:04 am »
Forget Soft15Khz, you don't need it with a 31kHz scanrate. Win XP is pretty limited now as well, you should go Win7 or maybe even Win10.

I also don't *think* there's much point to using the modeline generation function built into GM, because native isn't going to be anything near 120Hz, and it won't give you any sort of integer sync (2x).

I'd recommend re-posting your request in the GroovyMAME subforum on here. crt_emudriver might let you generate modelines (in the VMM suite) more easily than anything else, and using them even if they're not refreshing at perfect 2x.

zod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2018, 05:55:46 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:57:35 am »
cheers. ill do that.

is there any tutorials out there?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:21:53 pm »
is there any tutorials out there?

Kinda, but not for 31kHz/120Hz 240p specifically. I'll link to the guide i wrote, as it kinda covers the basics and links to lots of other guides. You'll just have to figure out how to adjust for 31kHz rather than 15kHz. And don't worry about Atom15 or how to wire things up, as you can just use a VGA cable.

The monitor presets sticky in the GroovyMAME subforum on here is also good.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/87668-A-guide-to-connecting-your-Windows-PC-to-an-SD-CRT-TV-PVM-or-Arcade-Monitor