Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovy mame set up, drivers, crt monitors etc  (Read 2819 times)

zod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2018, 05:55:46 am
  • I'm a llama!
Groovy mame set up, drivers, crt monitors etc
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:58:23 am »
Hi. recently been playing around with the following gear.

PC:
WinXP 32bit (not sure which is best for emulation, this or 64bit?, or another OS?)
4gb ram
Radeon 4850
core duo 2 E4000

Monitor:
Compaq P110
VGA
BNC

I would like some advice pls regarding setting up soft 15hz, groovy mame, crt emulation and the appropriate amd drivers.

IVe heard you can set up a 31khz to run at 120hz which draws the picture twice? then adding a scanline effect and turning the brightness way up you can acheive an effect similar to my sony BVM.
Got this info from the Sony BVM/PVM fb group.

Ive also hear something about a linux live disc being used for emulation?

Any help would be great.

Thanks  :D

Jonny G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 05:59:46 pm
Re: Groovy mame set up, drivers, crt monitors etc
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 03:01:22 pm »
Take a look around here http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/

The live disc you referred to is Groovy Arcade. A stickied thread for it is on the main page of this forum.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Groovy mame set up, drivers, crt monitors etc
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 06:16:28 pm »
There are guides on the site linked in the post above, and i wrote one out that kinda covers the basics of connecting a 15kHz CRT to a PC - in your case you want 31kHz, so a VGA cable to connect it is enough.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/87668-A-guide-to-connecting-your-Windows-PC-to-an-SD-CRT-TV-PVM-or-Arcade-Monitor

And as i was saying elsewhere, you might need to and figure out how to make VMM generate the modes you want. Take a careful look at the monitor presets sticky in this subforum and see what you can glean. The super resolutions you'll be looking to add are all still going to be 2560x240, x256, 288 etc, only at 120hz (or 100Hz for 288) to get the 31kHz scanrate.

You may also need to disable modeline generation in mame.ini. Try with it on first, and see what happens. Either way, if you can get the resolutions in your system, retroarch and mednafen can use them with horizontal stretching. It's the vertical being 1:1 that's most critical.

If you don't like the way 120Hz 240p looks or moves, you can also try linedoubling to 480p. This is the normal route for using a 31kHz PC CRT, or at least the expected route. You simply set up your monitor preset for that instead of 120Hz.