Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel Plexiglass idea  (Read 2793 times)

instantaphex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2018, 01:40:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Control Panel Plexiglass idea
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:17:01 am »
I really would like to use sanwa buttons and joysticks but after opening up a fight stick that I have with sanwa buttons and a sanwa joystick, I don't think it would fit through the 3/4 mdf that I originally cut for the control panel.  My thought was to go with 5/8 inch mdf and 1/8 inch plexiglass on top and just cut out a big space where the controls would go (or maybe a big space per set of controls).  Would this work?  I'm worried that maybe the 1/8 inch would have too much give to it and would be annoying when I'm using it.  I guess I could just cut slightly bigger holes in the mdf relative to the plexi.  Another thought that I had was just use thick plexi only for the control panel and use a heat gun to bend it over the front of the panel.  I would really prefer not to go with happ buttons do you guys have any recommendations?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Control Panel Plexiglass idea
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 02:27:22 am »
I would just drill out larger button holes in the MDF.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:14:24 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:24:34 am »
sanwa buttons are really made for metal control panels... not wood... and surely not just bent plexi.

you are either going to have to find a drill bit to make a hole that TIGHTLY fits the button, wedging it in there without using it's latches, or choose a different button.

the time to choose your parts and materials is BEFORE you start cutting.

alternatively, make a metal overlay that can attach to your finished wood panel and make it part of the design.

instantaphex

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 02:37:07 pm »
Thanks for the heads up.  Ive started cutting my cabinet but I haven't cut out holes for any of the controls.  I figured I could leave a spot for the control panel and cross that bridge when I come to it.  So you're saying sanwa buttons won't work in plexi?  Given the tools I own and my skill level I don't think metal will be an option.  Why won't plexi work?

Edit:. I've noticed sanwa makes threaded buttons as well.  They still aren't long anough but surely using my plexi approach (perhaps with a rubber washer) would work right?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:41:07 pm by instantaphex »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 03:08:11 pm »
Just drill a bigger hole from underneath and get the Sanwa OBSN instead.  The ones you are thinking about are the snap in OBSF versions which are not what you want.  You want the one with the screw nut on the back.  https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-obsn-30mm-screw-button-white

In my How to Build a Vigolix video, I used 1/2 inch MDF, but it's the same process for 3/4" wood or MDF.
Cue it up to 16:35 and 30:31 respectively:
https://youtu.be/tXZQoQT0CDU?t=995
https://youtu.be/tXZQoQT0CDU?t=1831

DeL

Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:14:24 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 04:01:13 pm »
the correct answer here would be to router out the little area around the buttons so the wood is thinner there and they can properly snap in.

but you already mentioned limited tools/abilities.

the problem with "plexi" is that it's going to flex and give. assuming you properly support the plexi, this is a viable solution.

I would suggest as DeLuSioNal29 says and just drill a bigger hole in the panel (like 1 1/4), and the correctly sized hole in the plexi (30 mm) or (about 1 3/16)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 04:50:17 pm »
I would suggest as DeLuSioNal29 says and just drill a bigger hole in the panel (like 1 1/4), and the correctly sized hole in the plexi (30 mm) or (about 1 3/16)
That's the poor man's way of routing out a hole from underneath.  (And there's nothing wrong with that).  I have a nice router and I STILL do it this way.  It's so easy to do.  Give it a shot!

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

instantaphex

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:15:46 pm »
Awesome thanks a lo.  This is my first wood working project so there are bound to be some issues.  I think I'll go with think I'll do the 5/8ths MDF and 1/8th plexi and just drill bigger into the MDF than I do in the plexi.