Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Opinion needed  (Read 1625 times)

knid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2018, 07:10:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Opinion needed
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:46:54 pm »
So I'm in the final stages of building a Mame Cabinet. About 2.5 years ago I bought an X-arcade 2 player build your own bundle which collected dust until recently when I finally got back on project.
So here is my problem. The wiring harness included in the kit has very short wires. So much so that the daisy chained ground wires are stretched tight just to connect to the ground on the joystick switches. (I'm not impressed-btw)
The wiring  for my one and two player buttons don't reach either.

To get everything to fit wiring wise-I'll be doing a lot of splicing and adding onto the wires.

I'm wondering at this point if I should just get an IPAC and a wiring kit to cut and crimp my own wiring and forgo the x-arcade encoder....or whether it I use what I have and "MacGyver" my existing wiring.

Is there a negative impact if I go the route of splicing and adding onto the existing x-arcade wiring (other than looking like a dog breakfast)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
Re: Opinion needed
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:57:58 pm »
You can extend your wiring with no problems.

You might be happier with an iPac but since you got the xarcade already see if it works for you. I’m betting you can complete the wiring pretty quickly.

Scooby

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2020, 10:15:07 am
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 03:38:01 am »
Hi! I had to make a similar decision when I did my wiring. I just went for the cheapest solution. I soldered the wires directly to the contacts. Best connection you can get. No risk of loose connections. Take a look at the pic...

But you can extend your existing wires and make them as long as you like. But it will look a bit messy.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 05:45:29 pm »
Sell your x-arcade gear and buy better stuff now.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:25:50 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:59:27 pm »
$20 cash in hand for your xarcade gear.

knid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2018, 07:10:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 07:10:18 pm »
I'm kind of worried now about the x arcade kit I have.  What about it is not good?

If the encoder is garbage then wouldn't it make more sense for me to go with an ipac?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 12:54:20 pm »
Everything X-arcade makes is low quality. The encoder isn't terrible, but it is far from the best. The sticks and buttons are lower quality clones of Happ's old stuff. If you are going with a full cabinet then I suggest trying harder on the controls. Spend less on the PC.

I'm kind of worried now about the x arcade kit I have.  What about it is not good?

If the encoder is garbage then wouldn't it make more sense for me to go with an ipac?
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.