Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor or 32" LED tv for a custom 2005 Golden Tee??  (Read 6250 times)

mpjmeyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2018, 11:05:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Monitor or 32" LED tv for a custom 2005 Golden Tee??
« on: February 07, 2018, 01:54:03 pm »
I purchased a 2005 Golden Tee for a couple hundred bucks about 2 weeks ago because the monitor display was going out and the current owner was wanting it gone.   I took the old monitor out and ordered a CGA to VGA converter and hooked it up to a 20" computer monitor just to test it out.  The picture was outstanding!!  I then chopped the top off the cabinet to modify it to look like a modern Golden Tee with a screen mounted on a couple posts coming out the case.   

I'm debating on either this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/westinghouse-32-class-31-5-diag--led-720p-hdtv/7617077.p?skuId=7617077

or this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-s271hl-27-led-fhd-monitor-black/6051018.p?skuId=6051018

The 32" led tv is 720p with an 8ms reactive time while the 27" monitor is 900p with a 5ms reactive time.   I'm not sure if I'm putting too much thought into this or if I would even tell a difference in the images since I am hooking a 13 year old system up to it via VGA.   I know with the monitor, it will power on/off when I power up the system and the tv will have to be powered up separately but I'm ok with that unless I can rig it up somehow.   Thoughts??

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
Re: Monitor or 32" LED tv for a custom 2005 Golden Tee??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 02:40:17 am »
I purchased a 2005 Golden Tee for a couple hundred bucks about 2 weeks ago because the monitor display was going out and the current owner was wanting it gone.   I took the old monitor out and ordered a CGA to VGA converter and hooked it up to a 20" computer monitor just to test it out.  The picture was outstanding!!  I then chopped the top off the cabinet to modify it to look like a modern Golden Tee with a screen mounted on a couple posts coming out the case.   

I'm debating on either this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/westinghouse-32-class-31-5-diag--led-720p-hdtv/7617077.p?skuId=7617077

or this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-s271hl-27-led-fhd-monitor-black/6051018.p?skuId=6051018

The 32" led tv is 720p with an 8ms reactive time while the 27" monitor is 900p with a 5ms reactive time.   I'm not sure if I'm putting too much thought into this or if I would even tell a difference in the images since I am hooking a 13 year old system up to it via VGA.   I know with the monitor, it will power on/off when I power up the system and the tv will have to be powered up separately but I'm ok with that unless I can rig it up somehow.   Thoughts??

Should have just left it alone and dropped the monitor in like so.

But since it is chopped go with the tv and later on just upgrade to the nighthawk system if you have a spare 1000$. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpjmeyer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 10:40:53 am »
That looks clean!!  Nicely done.  Yes unfortunately I've already started my project and a little too late for that but I'm sure it will still look good once I'm finished.  Not sure how to post photos on this site so you can check out my current progress here if you would like...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/118-game-room-equipment-accessories/2955602-32-led-27-monitor-custom-2005-golden-tee-machine.html

mpjmeyer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 03:45:32 pm »
Just an update, I opted for the 32" led tv which I don't regret at all.  Come to find out, once I power the tv on and connect the VGA, the picture looks fantastic.  Now as long as the tv has constant power, it will actually power cycle with the game in a sense.  When I power the game off, the tv will go into sleep mode after 1 minute of no signal and shut itself off, then if I power the game back on, the tv will detect a signal and automatically power back up.  I'm going to tap into the power wire inside the cabinet BEFORE the on/off switch so the tv will always have power if the game is plugged in.   Only time I will ever have to manually turn the tv on is if I ever unplug the machine

JPStine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2019, 01:47:27 am
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 12:56:45 am »
I need your help !! I am trying to do the same thing you did .... I bought the same led tv .. I tried running a vga cord directly from the video card but the picture is shifted to the right ... so I guess I’ll need to use the adapter.. I have one that is crazy to hdmi but it’s not working .. I think maybe it’s to much I need to do the cga to vga ... can you tell me what color wires from the adapter you used and what color did they pair to from the board ?  This is becoming so frustrating!! I’d love to get you on a call just to ask a few questions about your build ... thank you for any insight