Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recommendation for front end to replace Maximus arcade  (Read 2810 times)

juan9999

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2019, 12:07:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Recommendation for front end to replace Maximus arcade
« on: February 05, 2018, 02:31:27 am »
I've been running maximus arcade for a while, but my HD crashed, so I upgraded to win10, installed maximus and it no longer works with latest version of MAME (.194).

I have a complete .194 romset and am looking for a simple front end (scroll through games and screenshots) that:
- Can work with arcade controls only (no keyboard/mouse)
- Supports jumping letters (A, B...)
- Supports Mame (arcade), retroarch (console)
- Can filter types of games from full set (e.g. no clones, favorites)
- Can (at least partially scrape)
- Is free/open source

I've tried:
- Launch box.  The free version does not support arcade controls, and only scraped some of my games
- Attract mode.  Does not filter on no-clones, working etc.  Scraping stuck at 1% for days...

Any suggestions that meet my criteria?

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Recommendation for front end to replace Maximus arcade
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:27:40 am »
- Attract mode.  Does not filter on no-clones, working etc.  Scraping stuck at 1% for days...

No, your wrong. https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Example-filters#no-clones

Join the attract mode forum and share your config files for help resolving your scaring issues.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:27:24 am »

I've tried:
- Launch box.  The free version does not support arcade controls, and only scraped some of my games

Any suggestions that meet my criteria?

You get what you pay for. Just pay a few bucks and get launchbox. Its worth it. Also the free version does support arcade controls you probably just have to enable controls in one of the menus.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 10:33:13 am »
Hyperspin will do all you ask as well.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:51:06 am »
IIRC it can be made to work but you need to edit your Gamelist.xml for Maximus - They made some changes to MAME that some front ends were not updated for so you need to edit your gamelist.xml file in order for it to find the game roms ( See this thread : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=148682.0 )

Last but not least, the instructions say to edit the gamelist.xml, not the mame.xml:
"IMPORTANT NOTE: Newer versions of MAME (150 and above) require a modification to the 'gamelist.xml' file that is created by Maximus when you first run MAME. If you don't do this, you will get an "INDEX OUT OF RANGE" error. To fix this:
1.Open gamelist.xml with Notepad. This file is big, so it will take a minute to open.
2.Hit Ctrl+H on your keyboard to open Replace.
3.Next to 'find what:' type "machine" without the quotes. Next to the 'Replace with:' type "game" without the quotes.
4.Click the 'Replace All' button, wait for it to finish.
5.Hit Ctrl+S to save your changes and then you can close Notepad."

juan9999

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 03:30:12 am »

No, your wrong. https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Example-filters#no-clones

Join the attract mode forum and share your config files for help resolving your scaring issues.

Awesome!  Will do.

juan9999

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 04:21:11 am »
IIRC it can be made to work but you need to edit your Gamelist.xml for Maximus - They made some changes to MAME that some front ends were not updated for so you need to edit your gamelist.xml file in order for it to find the game roms ( See this thread : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=148682.0 )

Last but not least, the instructions say to edit the gamelist.xml, not the mame.xml:
"IMPORTANT NOTE: Newer versions of MAME (150 and above) require a modification to the 'gamelist.xml' file that is created by Maximus when you first run MAME. If you don't do this, you will get an "INDEX OUT OF RANGE" error. To fix this:
1.Open gamelist.xml with Notepad. This file is big, so it will take a minute to open.
2.Hit Ctrl+H on your keyboard to open Replace.
3.Next to 'find what:' type "machine" without the quotes. Next to the 'Replace with:' type "game" without the quotes.
4.Click the 'Replace All' button, wait for it to finish.
5.Hit Ctrl+S to save your changes and then you can close Notepad."

Good to know!  What worked for me was the first part of the procedure.  I don't seem to have a gamelist.xml file