Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Donkey Kong artwork for Project Mame  (Read 7443 times)

petitssuisses

Donkey Kong artwork for Project Mame
« on: February 03, 2018, 04:25:02 am »
Hi everybody,

I almost finalized the artwork for my - under construction - Project Mame cab (since 2014 !). But now it's time to get feedbacks before sending it to printing. Everyhing was made with Inkscape as I do not have any working version of Illustrator.
I made the choice not having decoration on the bezel. Marquee is based on the orginal DK cab (only resized to fit), and the other items are based on existing vectorized artwork (exept Pauline I vectorized and modified a bit)
So here it is !

I may have it too long under the eyes to have a judgement anymore... May you let me know what you think about it and if you have enhancement suggestions ?
Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:48:15 am by petitssuisses »

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Donkey Kong artwork for Project Mame
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:41:09 am »
A couple things stand out to me :

1.) Pauline's hair is blondeand skin is flesh tone on the side but orange with white skin in other locations
2.) Having 3 different Kong models is a bit off - The 8 bit on front - light chest and hands on side and dark chest and hands on marquee and CP
3.) different Jumpman model on speakers than the others on rest of cab
4.) Blue Donkey Kong lettering on Marquee while all others are red/orange

To me at least those kind of make it less cohesive and seems it was mix/matched parts rather than a single theme.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:45:14 am by JDFan »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:11:45 am »
A couple things stand out to me :

1.) Pauline's hair is blondeand skin is flesh tone on the side but orange with white skin in other locations
2.) Having 3 different Kong models is a bit off - The 8 bit on front - light chest and hands on side and dark chest and hands on marquee and CP
3.) different Jumpman model on speakers than the others on rest of cab
4.) Blue Donkey Kong lettering on Marquee while all others are red/orange

To me at least those kind of make it less cohesive and seems it was mix/matched parts rather than a single theme.

Pauline shouldn’t be bigger than DK, even if they’re not on the same side.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 02:27:50 pm »
The different models threw me off too. It is also entirely too red and orange for me.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 02:56:33 pm »
I actually don’t mind the custom color and look, but I agree about maintaining consistency with the art.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 06:33:31 pm »
At least it's not themed after an NFL team or comic book character.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

petitssuisses

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 08:01:19 pm »
Hi all, thanks for the feedbacks ! I'll turn the DK logos in blue, have a smaller Pauline (and bigger on the right side panel), and see if I can make some other changes for coherence.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 12:16:40 am »
Hi everybody,

I almost finalized the artwork for my - under construction - Project Mame cab (since 2014 !). But now it's time to get feedbacks before sending it to printing. Everyhing was made with Inkscape as I do not have any working version of Illustrator.
I made the choice not having decoration on the bezel. Marquee is based on the orginal DK cab (only resized to fit), and the other items are based on existing vectorized artwork (exept Pauline I vectorized and modified a bit)
So here it is !

I may have it too long under the eyes to have a judgement anymore... May you let me know what you think about it and if you have enhancement suggestions ?
Thanks in advance
Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

petitssuisses

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 10:46:30 am »
Hi everybody,

So here it is !

Thanks in advance
Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks !

petitssuisses

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 04:17:42 pm »
I took (almost) all your feedback into consideration, and here is the final layout. Many thanks for your advices.
Changes : Pauline is now smaller than DK; I harmonized skin colors for characters, clothes, and turned the logo main color to blue. I kept the 8-bit DK on the kickplate as I really like its retro style.

Finalized PDF files are available on my blog page in case you like or need them for your own creation. : https://www.petitssuisses.com/blog/decoration-donkey-kong-finalisee-commandee/ (in french, but you will easily find links to PDF on the page)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 04:25:57 pm by petitssuisses »