Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New to this, need help figuring out how to connect arcade monitor to PC  (Read 1793 times)

Graham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2018, 01:52:50 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Kind of working in the dark here! I have a Nanao ms9-29a. I'm building a MAME cabinet and want to hook the monitor up to a PC. I was planning on going the crt_emu driver route with an older ATI card. I've done some research and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what I'm supposed to do to get this hooked up.

So after a bit of searching I found the bit in my pic. So that's got to be the input. However the guide here mentioned 6 to 10 pins for input, and in this case there's only 5 wires without anything going to the V pin. Is that bad or normal? Either way, the guide mentions routing the inputs to a video cable, but I have no clue what that actually means. What am I routing to, and how am I routing to it? Sorry if it's a dumb question but again, no clue what I'm doing.

Also is there anything else I need to know about connecting this monitor to a PC? Don't want to run into any setbacks down the line if I can avoid it

mourix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 11:22:08 am
Re: New to this, need help figuring out how to connect arcade monitor to PC
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 03:10:40 pm »
You've got red, green, blue, Hsync, Vsync and ground. This is really all you need as the extra wires on other cables are just extra ground leads. The reason there is only one wire going to Hsync is that jamma used combined syncs.

When you use a VGA adapter you just run all the wires to corresponding pins and a seperate Hsync and Vsync.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: New to this, need help figuring out how to connect arcade monitor to PC
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 06:53:04 pm »
What mourix said first.

I believe the MS9-29a is trisync, so 15, 25 and 31kHz, if not everything in between. Look in the monitor presets sticky in the GM forum for the recommended range settings.

And don't use an older ATI card, a Radeon R9 380 is about as high as it goes, but anything from the 5000 series up is good. More powerful cards are better for newer 3D stuff, of course, but you should check out any card before buying to make sure it has DVI-I or VGA. If that monitor is tri-sync 31kHz you will be able to run stuff up to about 960i if needed, so you can use modern titles if you want, stuff like teknoparrot, etc.

If you're stuck, i wrote out a guide to the basics a while back - https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/87668-A-guide-to-connecting-your-Windows-PC-to-an-SD-CRT-TV-PVM-or-Arcade-Monitor