Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Brought the wrong "width" quick disconnects - (.110) What width should I get?  (Read 1991 times)

80sarcadegames

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 09:03:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
As per the photos my first attempt at purchasing female quick disconnects was a learning experience and failure.
I brought 18-22 gauge but the width is ".110"
What width should I have gotten?

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
.250"

While you're out buying those... Buy yourself some decent measurement tools... Stainless steel ruler... Maybe even some calipers. :dunno
%Bartop

80sarcadegames

• Offline Offline
 :cheers: :D

80sarcadegames

• Offline Offline
Does the gauge matter?

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Does the gauge matter?
Not really in this kind of usage.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:27:37 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Those arcade buttons should be .187

and the full width tabs are .250 or 1/4 inch and those don't look full width

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
   I would venture to guess you will need a bit of crimping experience too, So all is not lost you can practice with those 110"S. and not be out anything.... Might want to giggle search that however, there is a learning curve and a rabbit hole full of indecision and pitfalls to do it correctly.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Grab a cheap caliper from harbor freight. It’s about $10. Extremely useful tool.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
Grab a cheap caliper from harbor freight. It’s about $10. Extremely useful tool.
   A 10$ caliper, from H/F?.... Oh dudes, how Jennifer needs a new crowd. :-\

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
   I would venture to guess you will need a bit of crimping experience too, So all is not lost you can practice with those 110"S. and not be out anything.... Might want to giggle search that however, there is a learning curve and a rabbit hole full of indecision and pitfalls to do it correctly.

Giggle search? Lol, that's my new favorite way to search!

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
   A 10$ caliper, from H/F?.... Oh dudes, how Jennifer needs a new crowd. :-\

He can get it at a store. For cheap. When he finds it useful and it breaks, and it will, he can then get a quality one.

Don’t expect to buy crimp and wire strip tools there. I have a ratcheting double h crimper and use my single non-ratcheting crimper instead. The double sometimes bends the crimp if it’s not inserted at the exact spot. With the single, I crimp the wire first and use the insulation wings as a stop against the tool. Then I do the insulation. 100% every time. I have strippers that clamp and pull the insulation off clean, even with a length guide to make every wire uniformly stripped.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
Well yes I guess, Not like its space station or anything, we are talking about small signal C/p wires after all, The point beings why waste 10$, he could buy a buttload of crimps for that kind of money.... Jennifer usually just  paws through coffee cans of crimps, looking for something I probably have somewhere but cant find, usually frustrated at the prospect, Finally driving to the store and just buying some more (and A slurpie while  at the mall)  Back at the bench, the fancy strippers you speak of are not used, because on some wire it is less than effective and distresses the insulation, So I use a razor blade and score the insulation carful not to score the wire , and pull it with a small side cutter(especially on small stranded) or burn it off with the torch, depending on gauge.... Ocd sets in so Jennifer gets on the interweb and goes to the BYOAC fourm (still sluping on her fun mall treat) and writes something profound. Laughing out loud at the silliness of some here, and wondering The whole time where did I last use my crimpers?  ::) 

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
He will use it for other things. It was just a suggestion.

Not sure how the strippers I talk of distress the insulation. It grips the insulation with half inch plates. Works well for me.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
He will use it for other things. It was just a suggestion.

Not sure how the strippers I talk of distress the insulation. It grips the insulation with half inch plates. Works well for me.
   Jenn is just messing with you ( :duckhunt)  You and the whole civilized world use those strippers.... Personal preference and old habits however I do cut them by hand.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
That Happ Super controller takes .187 female connectors as others stated.  1/4" inch connectors are usually for LED buttons to power them.  .110 is for Japanese microswitches.  (Sanwa, Seimitsu, etc).

It's always good to have all 3 on hand, so don't feel bad that you ordered the wrong ones.  You WILL end up using them one day.

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment: