Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Samsung TXN2726  (Read 1635 times)

imtrashed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 02:47:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Samsung TXN2726
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:47:35 am »
Looking at picking up a Samsung TXN2726 27" CRT TV locally.  Think this might be a decent monitor for a MAME setup?  Of composite, component, and s-video inputs... would s-video be the best option (if I pick up a video card with s-video output)?  I feel like I would love to get this going in a new cab.  I'm enjoying my 19" arcade monitor, and I think a 27" picture would be awesome.  Anyone have any thoughts on a 27" CRT TV with these inputs? 

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Samsung TXN2726
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:58:15 pm »
It kinda depends on how much you care. S-video is easier and cheaper, but component with a crt_emudriver card or other 15kHz VGA source, and a decent transcoder, gives a far superior picture.

go here and ctrl-f for s-video

You have a PC connected to your current 19" arcade monitor? What hardware, and how does it connect?

You can always look into hacking RGB into the TV somewhere as well. There's a thread on the shmups hardware forum about doing it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:05:55 pm by buttersoft »

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 07:09:28 am »
It kinda depends on how much you care. S-video is easier and cheaper, but component with a crt_emudriver card or other 15kHz VGA source, and a decent transcoder, gives a far superior picture.

You have a PC connected to your current 19" arcade monitor? What hardware, and how does it connect?

You can always look into hacking RGB into the TV somewhere as well. There's a thread on the shmups hardware forum about doing it.
Yes, 19" arcade monitor hooked up via PC, VGA, J-Pac and a CRT Emudriver compatible card with CRT Emudriver.  I think I'll get the TV and then figure out which interface I want to use later.  Thanks! 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:08:24 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 07:14:09 am »
Keep the 19 inch monitor in place. Big screens don't add anything to the experience when you are already standing less than two feet from the screen. It can actually take away from game play. A pedestal style machine can use a bigger screen because you are standing further from the screen.

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:07:46 am »
Keep the 19 inch monitor in place. Big screens don't add anything to the experience when you are already standing less than two feet from the screen. It can actually take away from game play. A pedestal style machine can use a bigger screen because you are standing further from the screen.
Definitely keeping the 19" arcade monitor.  It's currently horizontal and I might rotate it to vertical (if I can figure out how to make that all work) and put this new 27" CRT TV in a new horizontal cab.  This new TV wouldn't fit in my old cab anyway. 

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 11:04:06 am »

Think I should pick up something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-to-Component-Transcoder-Retrotek-VGACTV1/192116647418

and go with a CRT_emudriver card via VGA converted to component to this TV? 

And could I do this with this TV turned on its side to run it vertically?  Will windows or Groovymame run a picture turned on its side?