Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Adding a spinner to bartop  (Read 3608 times)

PsychoHeadache

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2018, 02:05:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Adding a spinner to bartop
« on: January 25, 2018, 10:28:18 am »
Go easy on me, first post.

I have a bartop built, and so far pleased with the results.  I did things mostly on the cheap just to see how it all works and may upgrade buttons/joysticks in the future.  In any case, it's built, all working well except I find that certain games would work better with a spinner rather than a joystick(most driving games and things like breakout).  I see there appear to be a couple of choices for a spinner; Spintrak and Turbotwist.  Are those 2 basically the only option?  Further question then is I see they have a USB interface and they also seem to have a couple of button inputs as well, do those button inputs need to be hooked up?  I already have 2 USB zero delay inputs with the 6 button/joystick input working.  Does the spinner show up as a third control or can it be auxillary to one of the existing USB zero delay inputs?  I am worried that just buying the spinner, plugging it into a USB port on the R-Pi will result in a third input but then the buttons won't work in conjunction w/ the spinner.  Anyway, hoping someone can point me in the right direction on how this all can work.

Thank you!

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Re: Adding a spinner to bartop
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:24:37 pm »
I would say you could use two buttons you use with the Zero delays could be wired to the spinner as well (so they will work for both the joystick/button combo and the spinner). Otherwise you can probably just setup the emulator (retroarch) to use the buttons from player 1/2 to work with the spinner (player 3) for several games.
I don't know for sure, but that's how I'm planning to setup my trackball.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 01:27:28 pm »
The spinners are basicly treated as single axis mice.
As for the buttons you can wire them if you wish but there is no need really just use your already wired buttons.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 01:32:39 pm »

PsychoHeadache

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2018, 02:05:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 04:06:09 pm »
Thanks for all the help.  All makes sense now.