Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME Audio Skipping, not a Problem in MAMEUIFX or MAMEDev Versions  (Read 4271 times)

P.H.U.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2023, 01:25:21 am
  • I own my own arcade machines. Word.
I have a Dell Optiplex 390 that I am using for a cab build. With the embedded sound card, I am getting skipped audio beats even though the DOS console shows that the game is running at 100% speed. Thinking it is the default Windows 7 WDDM drivers causing the problem, I updated the drivers to the correct Conexant audio drivers from Dell. Still the same problem. Today, I disabled the embedded audio and installed a PCIe sound card. I was shocked to see that the problem followed with the new sound card!! I started playing around with the audio_latency switch. I noticed some improvement but no fix.

I decided to give MAMEUIFX a try and there was no audio skipping! I tried the same with MAMEDev's official build, no problems there either. Now I have MAME set 0.170 and 0.166. But I don't see a problem being due to the MAME set as I have used this same set for cab builds for a few years now. There is definitely something about the Dell Optiplex 390 that GroovyMAME does no like that is not related to the sound card. Any ideas what could be going wrong or what switches I need to turn on to resolve this?

Processor:  i3-2120 @3.30GHz
RAM:  8GB
Video:  Radeon HD4650 (still running default MS WDDM drivers)
Audio:  C-Media PCI Audio
When you find great deals on Craigslist for CRT based cabs, exuberance :laugh2: can be a bad thing!

Current Status of Cabs:  2-of-11 (and counting) working as desired  :applaud: :applaud:/:banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: GroovyMAME Audio Skipping, not a Problem in MAMEUIFX or MAMEDev Versions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:05:46 pm »
Which version? Which game/games? Any chance to see a log?
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 04:11:19 pm »
Which version? Which game/games? Any chance to see a log?

This happens with GroovyMAME 0.166 with the 0.166 MAME set. This happens with GroovyMAME 0.170 with the 0.170 MAME set. This happens with the GroovyMAME 0.193 with either 0.166 and 0.170 sets. Happens with sf2, sfiii3 as these are my go to games to test if my setup is working.

How do I retrieve a log?

Log for for GroovyMAME 0.170 for sf2:

EDIT:  See below post.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:21:38 pm by P.H.U. »
When you find great deals on Craigslist for CRT based cabs, exuberance :laugh2: can be a bad thing!

Current Status of Cabs:  2-of-11 (and counting) working as desired  :applaud: :applaud:/:banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 04:48:50 pm »
DELETED.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:22:04 pm by P.H.U. »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:02:16 pm »
Those are not logs my friend.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 05:14:51 pm »
Check my signature.

In the meantime, try:

groovymame.exe game -nosyncrefresh -nowaitvsync -notriplebuffer
Steps to create a log:

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 05:16:11 pm »
Those are not logs my friend.

This happens with GroovyMAME 0.166 with the 0.166 MAME set. This happens with GroovyMAME 0.170 with the 0.170 MAME set. This happens with the GroovyMAME 0.193 with either 0.166 and 0.170 sets. Happens with sf2, sfiii3 as these are my go to games to test if my setup is working.

How do I retrieve a log?

Log for for GroovyMAME 0.170 for sf2, sfiii3, dkong:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:23:19 pm by P.H.U. »

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 05:21:04 pm »
Check my signature.

In the meantime, try:

groovymame.exe game -nosyncrefresh -nowaitvsync -notriplebuffer

Whoops. I guess I asked he dumbest question ever. Missed your sig :).

Gave this a whirl. No difference if possibly, it made it worse. Here is the log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 05:28:56 pm »
There are certainly lots of sound overflows in there, don't know why.

I'm sorry to sound like a jerk asking logs and stuff, but what I need are the logs for 193, the only version that has a chance to get fixed. Whatever happened with 170, is in the past.

Steps to create a log:

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 05:37:06 pm »
There are certainly lots of sound overflows in there, don't know why.

I'm sorry to sound like a jerk asking logs and stuff, but what I need are the logs for 193, the only version that has a chance to get fixed. Whatever happened with 170, is in the past.

Don't apologize Boss. I appreciate your help and all you do for this project. Logs attached!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 05:56:23 pm »
Thanks.

Some things to try:

- groovymame game -syncrefresh

- groovymame game -sound xaudio2

- groovymame game -sound portaudio -pa_api "Windows WASAPI" -pa_latency 0.003334 -audio_latency 1
Steps to create a log:

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 06:02:15 pm »
Thanks.

Some things to try:

- groovymame game -syncrefresh

- groovymame game -sound xaudio2

- groovymame game -sound portaudio -pa_api "Windows WASAPI" -pa_latency 0.003334 -audio_latency 1

These all exacerbate the problem unfortunately.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 06:11:39 pm »
My last idea:

groovymame game -monitor lcd
Steps to create a log:

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 08:10:36 pm »
My last idea:

groovymame game -monitor lcd

Same. Exacerbates the problem.

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 10:57:20 pm »
When you try different versions, are you running them each in a separate directory?

INI and config files are not compatible across versions so unzipping it into an existing folder is bad.

Are you running aggressive anti-virus software?

Are there any background processes running?

This shouldn't be happening in this day and age, but maybe there's an interrupt conflict with another device on the PCI bus?

If your video card has an HDMI port, see if there's an HDMI audio driver installed for it.  I had that with a Radeon HD 4550 and it caused conflicts.  I had to uninstall the HDMI audio driver and I think I disabled the device in device manager to stop Windows from automatically installing a new driver.  It's been a while so I can't remember exactly.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 11:55:03 pm »
When you try different versions, are you running them each in a separate directory?

INI and config files are not compatible across versions so unzipping it into an existing folder is bad.

All the different versions of MAME are in there own directory and have their own *.ini files in their own directories. But the roms folders are pointing to a single location on the GroovyMAME folder. That shouldn't be a problem.

Are you running aggressive anti-virus software?

Are there any background processes running?

This happens on a clean install of Windows with Microsft Security Essentials installed or not. The intent is this goes into a cab so I don't care too much about making it secure. I only install the convenience roll-up pack, DX, VC++, .Net, and a codec pack.

This shouldn't be happening in this day and age, but maybe there's an interrupt conflict with another device on the PCI bus?

Let me disable some ports in the CMOS and see if that remedies things. Certainly don't need the serial port or whatever might be enabled. Perhaps I can disable the front panel audio while I am in there. Going to remove that PCIe sound card I picked up. It didn't help the problem at all. Also, keep in mind MAMEUIFX and MAMEDEV's version works fine! But I'll give it a shot.

If your video card has an HDMI port, see if there's an HDMI audio driver installed for it.  I had that with a Radeon HD 4550 and it caused conflicts.  I had to uninstall the HDMI audio driver and I think I disabled the device in device manager to stop Windows from automatically installing a new driver.  It's been a while so I can't remember exactly.

Let me give this a try. FYI, this happens only on this machine. I have built a half dozen or so boxes for this purpose and seems this is the only machine that has the problem. I have tried other HD4000 series cards, same problem. But yeah, will give this a shot.

Will be traveling for the next few days, but will report back then. Until then, let the ideas flow. Much appreciated.

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 01:24:02 am »

Let me disable some ports in the CMOS and see if that remedies things. Certainly don't need the serial port or whatever might be enabled. Perhaps I can disable the front panel audio while I am in there. Going to remove that PCIe sound card I picked up. It didn't help the problem at all. Also, keep in mind MAMEUIFX and MAMEDEV's version works fine! But I'll give it a shot.

Let me give this a try. FYI, this happens only on this machine. I have built a half dozen or so boxes for this purpose and seems this is the only machine that has the problem. I have tried other HD4000 series cards, same problem. But yeah, will give this a shot.

Will be traveling for the next few days, but will report back then. Until then, let the ideas flow. Much appreciated.

Before I left for work, I gave this a whirl. Just didn't get a chance to post the results last night.

According to the Device Manager, there is no conflict. In the CMOS, the "Serial" port is disabled on the mainboard, even though I don't see a serial connector on the back I/O panel. As far as I know, no IRQ conflicts. Again, the problem doesn't happen in MAMEUIFX or MAMEDev's versions. I will admit, this main board is funky at times. The HDD does not initialize on boot-up from time to time and I have to do a hard reset even though I am using UEFI, same thing even happens in Legacy Boot mode. But that doesn't explain why it would work in the other forks of MAME. I have also updated the BIOS to the latest version, reverted to the older version and back and forth, no change. I disabled the High Definition Audio Device in the Device Manager (HDMI audio), then uninstalled the driver. Still have the same problem. I am thinking this motherboard just happens to be cursed somehow.

Calamity, if this seems too isolated, then I would rather save your cycles for other things. I can go with MAMEUIFX or MAMEDev for this particular build since they work. Let me know if that is the best way forward.

kai

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 06:41:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I just got my Dell Optiplex 390 SFF 3 days ago and I spent 2 days to struggle with it against the sound skipping issue on Groovymame.
I got exactly the same issue as P.H.U got.
I used the latest 0.197 version and tried lots of combinations, but no luck.
Now I am inclined to believe Optiplex 390 is cursed, please stay away from it!! :badmood:

(I really do not want to switch to official mame since i like the Groovymame's "nearly 0 lag input")