Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: tapplastics smoked plexi for monitor bezel..36% or 57%?  (Read 1371 times)

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
tapplastics smoked plexi for monitor bezel..36% or 57%?
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:29:06 am »
wanted to get a second opinion here, which do you prefer and why??
https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_transparent_colors/519

is the 36% usable at all..maybe I need to crank up the monitor brightness thats it??

thx!!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: tapplastics smoked plexi for monitor bezel..36% or 57%?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:25:57 pm »
I actually use acrylic which has a transmission of half that. 

The ideal transmission percentage depends on a couple of things

What are you trying to achieve?  If you want it to completely obscure the presence of a monitor, even 36% probably won't do that.  I use the darker stuff for this, and the result is that you see nothing but the game display.  The great thing about this, if you are using a horizontally oriented 27" 4:3 CRT, is that vertical games are very close to a 19" display, with no indication that it is pasted in the middle of a horizontal display.  Horizontal games are obviously nice and large.

The other thing is what kind of display?  If LCD, you may have difficulty getting things bright enough for the really dark material, without lighting up the background, which would spoil the effect.  I think 36% would be fine for an LCD, but you'll probably see non-illuminated parts of the display through it.

Either way, you will probably need to boost the contrast and brightness, then tweak a bit to find what you like.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
Re: tapplastics smoked plexi for monitor bezel..36% or 57%?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:49:08 am »
its for lcd monitor. trying to see if I wanna spend like $60-70 on this or just make a wood bezel or something..

maybe I should order samples first