Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vertical GroovyMAME setup advice welcome  (Read 3569 times)

pigjes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 05:26:28 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Vertical GroovyMAME setup advice welcome
« on: April 02, 2018, 06:20:05 am »
Hello,

I have just setup my vertical arcade cabinet, and could use some advice configuring GroovyMAME/VMMaker  ::).

My setup consist of a vertical orientated lcd, hd5450,GM 0.196 and the latest emudriver 2.0 beta 13.

Using the arcade_31 preset as custom, since my lcd seems to adjust fine with these settings (refresh seems correctly switched).
I tried to read up on the custom monitor settings, but seems above my understanding :) (and I have no idea about the lcd monitor brand or specs).

Desktop is set at 640x480x60, using mala as frontend. I have no rotation in windows (so orientation in windows is still horizontal).

Had to choose rotate_r in VMMaker, if I choose vertical in VMmaker, it would flag the super-resolutions as redundant (and I ended up with only 1 custom resolution).
Although in mame.ini I had to change rotate_r to vertical, otherwise the screen would not be the correct orientation.
Also had to enable triplebuffering or not everything would be super smooth. Autosync I had to turn off, otherwise soundpitch would not be correct (speed shows going from 98-100-102 percent constantly).

Everything seems to work fine, only resolutions 228x224 which get switched to 2560x448 have some black borders at the sides.

Is there a way to get it to stretch to full screen without loosing the correct aspect/refresh in a vertical setup?

To me it seems as this is the way it supposed to be (but couldn't hurt asking I suppose  :dunno).
Maybe I am doing something wrong, really no idea.
Any pointers or improvement ideas are very welcome.

Thanks for developing this great software and I really appreciate all help  :notworthy:.

Ps: attached are a galaga log and mame.ini

Best regards
Nico

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Vertical GroovyMAME setup advice welcome
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:09:40 am »
My setup consist of a vertical orientated lcd

Unless you have a variable refresh LCD, you should be using the -monitor lcd preset. Besides you don't need to create resolutions for this monitor, you'll always want to run at tha panel's native resolution (that's what the lcd preset does). Doing that will also allow you run with -autosync on. Forcing -triplebuffer all the time is a terrible configuration. Expect GM to adjust the game's refresh to that of your monitor, so depending on the game you may see a speed of 98%, 101%, etc., that's normal. If the resulting refresh is too different it will trigger -triplebuffer so the speed will be 100% but scroll won't be smooth. You can control when -triplebuffer is triggered by means of the -syncrefresh_tolerance option.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

pigjes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 08:30:09 am »
I guess it's a variable refresh lcd, since I see the osd on the monitor coming on and telling me its running at different refresh rates when starting a game (for example flying shark, the lcd osd is at 55hz refresh).
In that case, is it still advisable to run with the lcd option as you explained?

Thanks for the explanation!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 09:50:52 am »
I guess it's a variable refresh lcd, since I see the osd on the monitor coming on and telling me its running at different refresh rates when starting a game (for example flying shark, the lcd osd is at 55hz refresh).

Not necessarily. It can accept a 55Hz input but still update its panel at 60 Hz. If the scroll is smooth at 55Hz, then it's a variable refresh lcd. If it's choppy, it's not.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

pigjes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:05:04 am »
Aha ok, tested it with mortal kombat title screen scrolling and the scrolling seems smooth.

But I don't know why turning autosync on (and triplebuffering off), would give me such a change in soundpitch (punchout for example)?
Autosync off and pitch is perfect (f11 shows 100% speed all the time), but I admit that leaving triplebuffer off at this setting I seem to notice a tear (vsync?).

Maybe I will just try your suggestion and use lcd setting instead and see what this gives me.

Do you have any suggestions for a vertical setup, since choosing vertical in VMMaker does not generate modelines?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area  :dunno

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 10:19:47 am »
Do you have any suggestions for a vertical setup, since choosing vertical in VMMaker does not generate modelines?

For a vertical setup you either have to use rotate_r or rotate_l, to achieve the proper rotation. The "vertical" setup is only provided for maximum heterodoxy (guys insisting on running horizontal games on vertical monitor).

Steps to create a log:

pigjes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 10:21:18 am »
Thanks Calamity!

terranigma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2019, 04:03:17 am
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 05:33:27 pm »

For a vertical setup you either have to use rotate_r or rotate_l, to achieve the proper rotation. The "vertical" setup is only provided for maximum heterodoxy (guys insisting on running horizontal games on vertical monitor).

I use
Code: [Select]
orientation vertical

If you set this value in "vertical.ini" file, only vertical games will be affected.