Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Error patching 7950 bios with Atom-15  (Read 2125 times)

sgtsocko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2024, 04:15:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Error patching 7950 bios with Atom-15
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:46:00 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to patch to my Sapphire 7950 with Atom-15 but I'm receiving a message stating "Hook not possible. Not enough blank space below 0xFFFF." I was able to locate a modified version of Atom-15 which patched successfully but when I try to flash my GPU with it using ATI winflash I get "VBIOS image not found." I'm not sure if my card is even supported but I've attached my bios and any help would be greatly appreciated.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Error patching 7950 bios with Atom-15
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 05:08:21 pm »
I was to say ChrisVG managed to patch one of these cards a little while ago, maybe search for posts by him in this forum.

sgtsocko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:57 pm »
Yeah that's where I got the modified Atom-15 version from. There was another user is that topic, Dalba, who was having the same issue that I'm having. Calamity mentioned that his bios would have to be hex edited but there's no mention of what to edit and Calamity ended fixed his bios for him. That card also was also a 7850 too. I'll keep searching to see if I can come up with anything.

My card has a dual bios and I have other cards, so I dunno worst case scenario I try that 7850 bios and see what happens. I shouldn't have a problem recovering in case I need to.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 03:36:33 pm »
Your card's bios has only 341 bytes of free space at the end. At least 532 bytes are required for the patch. Your best chance if finding a smaller compatible bios that can be patched (same gpu, same vram, etc) and flash your card with it instead.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

sgtsocko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 04:58:23 pm »
so just an update on this,

This particular card, a Sapphire 7950 dual x boost, uses a modified reference bios. None of the reference bios for the 7950 will patch. So any reference designed 7950 is out of luck.

I've gone through a very large list of 7950 bioses from every manufacturer as well. The only progress i was able to make was one Gigabyte bioses that patched and flashed, but had a BSOD for ATIMDAG.sys when windows 7 loaded drivers. I could see the lowered resolution start screen though before it crashed. I tried uninstalling/installing different sets of drivers but no luck. Other bioses either won't flash or won't post.

Also, I was able to successfully patch and flash an RX480, not sure if anyone's attempted that before but it lacks analog outputs, so not really helpful for CRT use.

I may pick this up when I have more time. Going back to that Gigabyte bios and trying different drivers