Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Project: Widescreen Bartop Advice Needed  (Read 1441 times)

Crelox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 12:36:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
First Project: Widescreen Bartop Advice Needed
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:49:34 pm »
Ok, after much lurking and much more research and reading, I have an idea of what I'd like to do for my first build.  I understand this will be a hefty undertaking, but I enjoy a challenge.  That said, I need some advice...

My current parameters:

1.  I want to build a widescreen "bartop" as I want to play classics and modern PC type games as well in a wide format.  I'm thinking or a 22-24" screen in 16:9.
2.  I am learning toward some type of Weecade clone. 
3.  Construction will be 3/4" MDF which I plan on applying T molding.
4.  I may very well go without artwork at this time but want to cabinet to be painted nice in the end.
5.  PC build likely with mini ITX and traditional power supply and low profile GFX card (likely nececssary because of space)
6. Decided this is going to be a 1 player bartop.  It's likely never going to see much 2p time.  As a result, I'd like to see if I can get an 8way stick, 6 button japanese layout buttons, a trackball AND a spinner, and admin buttons on the panel in a comfortable layout.

Looking for advice on components or plans you would gravitate toward using for the cab design itself, how you would scale it for a larger monitor and what angle adjustments would be necessary to get the angle of the monitor right. I'm also curious as to your thoughts on the feasibility of making a CP like I described and if there any helpful tools to help me lay a CP out (other than the slagcoin layouts, etc. which I have)

I know these are pretty generic questions and parameters, but I'm trying to put this all together in my head and on cardboard, etc. before I start to go diving into the actual construction.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:51:46 pm by Crelox »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: First Project: Widescreen Bartop Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 01:31:05 pm »
19" 4:3 displays are widely available and and much better suited for what you are doing. Modern PC games are not locked to widescreen in any way. They will do 4:3 resolutions and a lot of them will even do rotated resolutions like 9:16. Not that this matters because modern PC games largely aren't playable with arcade controls anyway, and whatever experience you thought you might be gaining them playing them in an "arcade" is tossed out the window because it is a bartop.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Crelox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 12:36:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 06:00:21 pm »
Point taken. If I got the 19” route, given the bar top width dimension, ie standard WeeCade or slightly wider, is the CP layout I envision doable without being impractical?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:44:39 pm »
Point taken. If I got the 19” route, given the bar top width dimension, ie standard WeeCade or slightly wider, is the CP layout I envision doable without being impractical?

Yeah, just line it up like this. JOYSTICK, BUTTON BANK, TRAKBALL, SPINNER. That way all the controls share the same set of buttons. It fits easily on a 13" Poker cabinet so it should fit your barcade.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.