Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Games with webcam support?  (Read 8668 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Games with webcam support?
« on: January 20, 2018, 07:06:25 pm »
I'm considering adding a webcam to my cab, the only 2 games I know of that will make use of it are Daytona Championship and MK GP DX. Does anybody know of any other games that use a webcam? Also anybody have any idea on how to rotate a webcam image on a per game basis? I know the camera has to be rotated with Daytona and I've heard some cameras have to be rotated with MK GP DX. I don't want to buy a camera if I have to mount it in a strange way...

I was thinking about getting this camera. Since it will be easily mountable and look like a built in on my cab.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N07OHYF

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Games with webcam support?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 07:50:02 pm »
I would hold out a bit on buying a webcam.  We've got one guy that purchased the webcam in Daytona 3 in hopes that it might fix the billboard issues.... if it does then obviously that would be the one to get.  (It's about the same price.)

Since a webcam is a hardware device and the games tap into it directly, there isn't an easy way to rotate the image.  It might be possible to route it through a software based webcam like splitcam and rotate it via software, but most likely what will happen is the game will detect the real webcam as the primary camera and it wouldn't work anyway. 

By far the easiest solution would be to mount the camera on a servo arm and use a cheap avr to rotate it when needed. 

As for games that use webcams, I don't know of a lot.  I believe there are some in arcades right now, but unless they are made working that won't help you. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:02:38 pm »
I would hold out a bit on buying a webcam.  We've got one guy that purchased the webcam in Daytona 3 in hopes that it might fix the billboard issues.... if it does then obviously that would be the one to get.  (It's about the same price.)

Since a webcam is a hardware device and the games tap into it directly, there isn't an easy way to rotate the image.  It might be possible to route it through a software based webcam like splitcam and rotate it via software, but most likely what will happen is the game will detect the real webcam as the primary camera and it wouldn't work anyway. 

By far the easiest solution would be to mount the camera on a servo arm and use a cheap avr to rotate it when needed. 

As for games that use webcams, I don't know of a lot.  I believe there are some in arcades right now, but unless they are made working that won't help you.

The billboard is of no interest to me, I mean I'm not going to add a second lcd screen on to my cab for one game. Nor would I go thought the time or expense to do that for all 4 cabs on my 4 player setup as cool as that would be. I won't be going though the trouble of adding any kind of servo motor setup either, too much time and expense. I guess I'll just have to get a webcam and experiment with software. And if that doesn't work maybe I'll get lucky and both games will have the camera rotated the same way. Or maybe I can come up with a mechanism to rotate the camera manually if I decide I really need it...

Thanks for the response.

nugarp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 06:35:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 09:42:05 pm »
I had one of the ones the other guy pointed out in the Daytona thread delivered to my apartment tonight. I'll probably give it a go tomorrow when I get back and report on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 01:12:41 pm »
Yeah Daytona Championship USA and Mario Kart obviously. Daytona USA 1 actually had some kind of cctv camera thing but I've only seen photos or a giant camera sitting on dashboard, not sure what it did or just seperate monitor

Storm Racer G and Dead Heat had webcams too

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 01:54:49 pm »
Yeah Daytona Championship USA and Mario Kart obviously. Daytona USA 1 actually had some kind of cctv camera thing but I've only seen photos or a giant camera sitting on dashboard, not sure what it did or just seperate monitor

Storm Racer G and Dead Heat had webcams too

Yeah Dead Heat seems decent but its just too bad it cant be played in windows..., but I've played Storm Racer G at the arcade and it would be cool to see a dump of that someday, also Overtake is another cool game that I think had a webcam.

I'll be curios to see if someone can try a webcam with both Daytona and MK to see if they are rotated the same way...

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 03:12:51 pm »
They are not.

One thing I find wierd however is for me on mario kart the image is normal and daytona is sideways however a friend of mine his image in mk is sideways and then daytona is the opposite side

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 03:16:00 pm »
Well that sucks. Well when I get paid again I'll probably grab one and experiment with some software. If I cant find a solution there then I might just see if I can mount on on a hand rotatable base. Honestly MK is more important to me than Daytona so Maybe I'll just mount it properly for that.

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 05:52:47 pm »
The Daytona cam from the other thread doesn't seem to work in MKDX. It throws a namcam error. :-/

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 06:46:38 pm »
The Daytona cam from the other thread doesn't seem to work in MKDX. It throws a namcam error. :-/

what is a namcam error?

That sucks, I think the one I was gonna get is that same brand as that one you used. Can anybody that has used a camera successfully with MK let me know what the model of the camera was?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:00:56 pm by shaolindrunkard »

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 06:52:28 pm »
what is a namcam error?

That sucks, I think the one I was gonna get is that same brand as that one you used. Can anybody that has used a camera successfully with MK let me know what the model of the camera was?

Thanks

Namcam is what mkdx calls the camera. It doesn't boot if you turn on the camera and use the daytona webcam. The game will boot if you turn off the camera anyway. There goes my $40 investment for science lol.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 07:05:16 pm »
what is a namcam error?

Thanks

Namcam is what mkdx calls the camera. It doesn't boot if you turn on the camera and use the daytona webcam. The game will boot if you turn off the camera anyway. There goes my $40 investment for science lol.

That sucks, I really like the brand that makes that camera because they make a nice metal case with mounting bracket for those cameras, it looks really professional. At least more professional than strapping a Logitech to my cab. But I might have to do that...

Maybe mess with some software stuff? I heard there is a free version of manycam that might actually make the camera show up in windows as like a virtual webcam. I think here are a couple programs that do that.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 02:21:06 pm »
So I looked up the Camera that MK uses in the manual. Looks like its made by a Japanese company and is not available outside of there, also I couldn't find the exact model because I believe its obsolete at this point. But I believe it was a 640x480 UVC camera. So I think maybe that other camera that works with Daytona may be kicking an error because its running at a higher resolution. Even though its capable of 640x480. So I ordered a cheap ass 640x480 webcam off amazon and i'll get it tomorrow, gonna see if that will work with MK.

Still if anybody has successfully used a different camera with MK and could share the model, that would be helpful...

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 08:40:00 pm »
So guys I grabbed this webcam for dirt cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/A870-Microphone-Calling-Recording-Desktop/dp/B076SL3D6B

Good news is this camera works for both Daytona and MK. Bad news is this particular model cameras FOV is waaaay zoomed in. Especially in MK. So your face fills the entire frame and then some in both games. I can also confirm that both games make you rotate the camera and of course Daytona is to the right and MK is to the left go figure.

I'm going to order a couple other dirt cheap VGA webcams and see if I can find one with a more zoomed out FOV. I'd rather have to move my face forward than to have the image be to big.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:27 pm »
Both work on 1080p webcam I have

So I dunno if resolution of camera matters. But my image in mario kart was normal so not rotated at all

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 09:18:58 am »

So I dunno if resolution of camera matters. But my image in mario kart was normal so not rotated at all

Whats the model bro? Was the image in a decent place to line up with frame in MK?

Jin2k9

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2022, 08:44:17 pm
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 04:59:07 pm »

If you got the "Daytona Webcam" anyways could you still take the time to test it with the Daytona billboard setup and let us know if that works or not ?

dgrace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:57 am
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 04:48:56 pm »
Tank Tank Tank would also be a fun racing type game with a camera. It's not your traditional racing game but would probably work well with a wheel and be fun with the cameras. Looks like Argon  (demulshooter guy) got it working on linux vm recently.

clos2345

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2022, 08:29:38 pm
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 04:07:58 pm »

Hello Boomslang.  Can you tell me which webcam you use for Mario Kart?  I've tried three different ones so far:  HP 4310, Logitech C920 and Logitech C270.  All three require me to rotate the camera.  I also have Daytona 3 set up and use Fake Cam to rotate but that doesn't work on Mario Kart.  I was hoping to find a cam that worked normal on MK so I wouldn't have the need to physically rotate.  Anyway, thanks for any help.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 05:54:14 pm »
hm i use logitech c270 and it works fine on MK

then i need to use that program to rotate camera in daytona 3

clos2345

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 07:18:13 pm »
hm i use logitech c270 and it works fine on MK

then i need to use that program to rotate camera in daytona 3

Really!?  That's so odd.  Now I'll have to go out and rebuy to try it again.  Did you install official Logitech software or just plug and play?  Is there anything else in particular you may have done (i.e., settings changes in resolution)?  Anyway, I really appreciate that you replied.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 07:26:57 pm »
No i don't use official logitech software just plug and play

Don't believe I did anything different

np man, thats what we are here for!

clos2345

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 07:33:46 pm »
No i don't use official logitech software just plug and play

Don't believe I did anything different

np man, thats what we are here for!

Thanks for the quick response.  I meant to also ask if there are any changes that maybe needed to be made to a config file in TeknoParrot but I haven't read anything about doing so regarding the camera.  If you think of anything different that might help I'd greatly appreciate the feedback.  If not, thanks again for your help!

mickael28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 07:40:36 am »
Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the webcam in these games?

Is it just to take a picture so they keep that as your 'icon/logo' during the game, or does it have any other purpose within these games?

jayc001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2023, 06:14:55 am
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2020, 02:44:19 pm »
Did anyone find a camera that works well for both Daytona and MKDX?

Billkwando

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 10:42:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2023, 05:36:34 pm »
Did anyone find a camera that works well for both Daytona and MKDX?

I know this is hella old but for anyone finding it through Google (like me!) I had the wacky idea of just getting a gooseneck webcam and cranking it sideways, physically, as needed, depending on the game (rather than a camera rotation program):

It's super cheapo. I'll give that a shot and we'll see how it goes. :)

Here's the one I just ordered a pair of (one for each LAN rig), the cheapest one I could find with a gooseneck, lol. You get the idea though:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CN1CSPLZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll probably just stick the base to my rig with double sided scotch industrial mounting tape or industrial velcro.

I'm hoping the gooseneck is flexible enough that I can squish the camera down to the top of my wheel's drive housing, so it kinda peeks out through the top-center of the steering wheel. We'll see what the FOV allows for.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 06:01:22 pm by Billkwando »
"If you believe you're up against a swordsman who is proficient in the Way, you will lose."-Miyamoto Musashi