Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: sequential shifting on sega model 2?  (Read 7460 times)

rushfanyyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2016, 11:14:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
sequential shifting on sega model 2?
« on: October 05, 2016, 01:38:51 am »
hi guys, i'm wondering if this is possible? works fine in supermodel but can't seem to make it happen in m2 (no option that i see to do it)  i'd love to be able to play daytona using manual

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
Re: sequential shifting on sega model 2?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 02:22:42 am »
Yeah you need an extra little program to do it. Forget the name exactly. Something like h2seq?

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error

rushfanyyz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:21:00 pm »
right on, thank you!  have you used this before on your setup?

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 09:25:59 pm »
yeah Ive used it before. works well

rushfanyyz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 11:07:43 pm »
awesome, i'm looking at it, i'm not sure how to install it, could you offer any tips on that?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 12:59:14 am »
Just run it, and leave it going.

Read the docs first to make sure you bind to the right options/button. I'm using Joytokey to bind my button presses to the up/down shift keys, and then I bound the actual gear keys to the emulator.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 11:23:25 am »
I find sequential shifting to be more of a pain with MAME games with Hi/Lo shifter buttons. It acts more like an "other gear" button.
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 11:45:01 am »
I find sequential shifting to be more of a pain with MAME games with Hi/Lo shifter buttons. It acts more like an "other gear" button.

Read the MAME section of the NOOB thread stickied at the top of this forum.  :P

EDIT: I guess that doesn't help if you have a sequential shifter that returns to center.  :-\

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:51:23 am by BadMouth »

rushfanyyz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 09:25:04 pm »
i set the shift buttons to the same thing i have in supermodel in the .ini but no luck.  i clicked the program before running model 2 but nothing seems to happen.  what am i missing?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 07:53:20 am »
I don't get why people would want to sequential shift in Daytona USA (not a criticism, just an observation) - Isn't being able to shift instantly from 4th to 1st or 2nd pretty essential to the whole gear drifting experience? Neither of the two wheels I've got have got proper stick shifters (they both have sequential flippers), so I assign buttons on the front of the wheels to the individual gears. It seems to work pretty well, maybe it might be worth a try as an alternative?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 09:11:19 pm »
i set the shift buttons to the same thing i have in supermodel in the .ini but no luck.  i clicked the program before running model 2 but nothing seems to happen.  what am i missing?

I'm not sure English is your first language, but... have you read the documentation for H2seq? Do you understand what it's supposed to do? Are you sure you've bound your keys right?

Essentially - in your emulator you assign the four gear keys to what you want. Doesn't matter what - you won't actually be pressing them. Then in H2seq, you bind the four gears to those same keys, and after that bind the two keys you actually want to use for up-gear and down-gear to those inputs. You only actually press the last two.

Run H2seq first, make sure it's set to turn on with your emulator, then launch your emulator.

I don't get why people would want to sequential shift in Daytona USA (not a criticism, just an observation) - Isn't being able to shift instantly from 4th to 1st or 2nd pretty essential to the whole gear drifting experience? Neither of the two wheels I've got have got proper stick shifters (they both have sequential flippers), so I assign buttons on the front of the wheels to the individual gears. It seems to work pretty well, maybe it might be worth a try as an alternative?
I find paddles to be a bit artificial for the way i like to play. I have a few older wheels set up with seats, and they have up-down stick shifts on the side. I like using the sticks as it makes things feel more arcadey. One day i might upgrade to FFB and h-shifters, but it'll cost a bomb.

rushfanyyz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 12:20:45 pm »
help me, what am i doing wrong?  i don;t know how to set it to work with the emulator.  i click the program and it does nothing at all, but it did create the config file.  here's what is set, first in daytona, second and third in the config.  i'm sure there's something stupid i'm doing wrong and not understanding

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 06:38:28 pm »
I haven't looked at h2seq for a while, but... I'm pretty sure you can't bind joystick buttons directly in H2seq. It only takes the keys listed, using the codes listed. I have no idea if those are standard codes or ASCII or what.

You don't need to redo anything yet. From right where you are now, the next step is to try binding the gear up/down keys in h2seq cfg file to actual keyboard keys, using the codes provided. Say DD and DB for "[" and "]" - simply because I can see those codes in your screenshot. So instead of JOY1_BUTTON13 and JOY1_BUTTON14, you put DD and DB. Leave everything else in M2emulator and the H2seq cfg file as it is.

Now double-click the H2seq program, and check the taskbar cion down the bottom right to make sure it's running. Hover the mouse over icons to find out what they are. If H2seq is there, open m2emulator, open a game, and test the "[" and "]" keys while driving to see if they work.

If that works up to now, and you want to use joystick buttons instead of [ and ], look into Joytokey to bind those buttons to input [ and ] for you. Or, if you're already using something like UCR you can just use that, but it's pretty nasty to get into. Joytokey is easier.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 01:27:43 am by buttersoft »

rushfanyyz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 11:41:31 pm »
thanks man, i'm going to read this carefully again when i have time to mess around w the program again.  thanks for having a look!

rushfanyyz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 11:15:32 am »
nothing.  how do i connect this program to the m2 emulator?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 06:24:18 pm »
You don't connect it, you just run it first, making sure to leave the Active Emulators option for model2 set to "1" (in your screenshot above.) When H2Seq runs, it sits in your system tray with a black icon with a white H and tiny red gear knob. Can you see the icon in the system tray?

You are using M2emulator, yes? (it works with the  multi_cpu exe or the standard exe)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 07:19:39 am »
Interesting little tool.

I'm actually looking for something that does the OPPOSITE of this. I want to be able to use my H-Pattern shifter in games that support *only* sequential shifting. Something like what Howard used to allow us to shift directly to any gear we want without having to go through each gear one by one.

Howard if you're reading this....is it possible to make a break-out app that mimics the behavior of whatever you used to accomplish this option in OR2C2C? This would be great for the Ridge Racer console games!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 02:05:40 pm »
It's possible, but it isn't easy.  The memory location of the current gear has to be found for any game/emulator in question and the location needs to be writeable so I can write back to it.  In addition some games require code to be removed/no-OPed before the gear shift can be controlled externally.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:10:47 pm
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2023, 12:02:33 am »
H2Seq works great for me. The issue is that once you are in 4th gear, if you restart the game, you are stuck in 4th gear. Even though it shows you are in first gear, you have to remember to hit downshift 4 times. Anyone know a workaround? I tried setting up a ahk file to send four down shift keystrokes to Mame (or even better the “i” key corresponding to first gear) and it works in notepad but it never sends the downshift or 1st gear directly to Mame. I also tried Powershell and same thing. I think h2seq only works with Mame and model 2 based on the confit file setting. Manually hitting downshift four times (or “i”) as soon as the Mame game starts does work but family and friends will not know to do that before every race. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 12:04:42 am by jorgenjl2 »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2023, 02:43:24 am »
Boomslangnz's FFB plugin has the control options for m2emu to make H2seq obsolete. Might be worth a shot. You won't need the FFB if you don't have the wheel for it, of course, but it should still work...

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:10:47 pm
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2023, 11:56:55 pm »
Boomslangnz's FFB plugin has the control options for m2emu to make H2seq obsolete. Might be worth a shot. You won't need the FFB if you don't have the wheel for it, of course, but it should still work...
Interesting I didn’t know that. Does it also work for Mame? I want to say Supermodel works already but I need to validate. I also wonder if setting keyboardprovider dinput instead of auto in the Mame.ini may fix the ahk command issue but I can test it tomorrow

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2023, 03:37:22 pm »
Does it also work for Mame? I want to say Supermodel works already but I need to validate.
I don't think so. I know Demul has inputs and so does M2 - i think Boom chose games that had big input problems to focus on and fix, but i have no idea if he's planning to expand to more games.

What were you meaning about Supermodel?

I also wonder if setting keyboardprovider dinput instead of auto in the Mame.ini may fix the ahk command issue but I can test it tomorrow
It did for me. Well, if you mean that AHK keypresses weren't seen in mame before that change, yes, it did :) From memory though, i also had to set a 50-100ms keypress time for some games, as presses of zero duration often didn't register.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 08:11:56 pm by buttersoft »