Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo Gamecube component cable - heads up $$$  (Read 5624 times)

smass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
Nintendo Gamecube component cable - heads up $$$
« on: January 18, 2018, 11:01:21 am »
So this just happened.  I saw a post on my FB feed from one of the classic games groups that I joined - a guy was selling a set of Gamecube component cables for $250.  I thought it was a joke.  I checked ebay, and sure enough, these cables are selling for that amount regularly.  I knew I had a set somewhere - found the set that I ordered years ago and never opened and never used - and posted on Ebay for $265 shipped.  I had a buy it now buyer within 5 minutes of uploading the auction....

WTF?  I literally had this thing laying around in a junk drawer in my basement.  I wanted to pass on the info in case any of you were not aware and had one lying around like me. :)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Nintendo Gamecube component cable - heads up $$$
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 11:06:30 am »
People are crazy.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:52:14 am »
Good timing with the sale. There's a new HDMI device for $100 which will be shipping any day now that will make the component cables unnecessary and thus drive their price way down.

https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:00:19 pm by gamepimp »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:31:45 pm »
My mom was going to throw hers away a few years ago. Glad I saved it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:47:57 pm »
I lost mine in a flood.  It sucks. 

The thing is though, except for the gba player they are 100% worthless thanks to the wii.  Component is built in as is a frikkin gamecube. 

Sometimes I really get collectors and sometimes I just shake my head.  The whole paying too much for a solution to a problem that is much easier to solve has always been a bridge too far for me. 

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 02:04:47 pm »
I think the bigger story here is:

People still play the Gamecube?
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:43:09 pm »
Don't worry, that bubble will pop with some of the HDMI solutions being developed right now for the GC. Sell them while you can folks!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:44:21 pm »

Yup, it's still a valid console, especially for playing your original GBA carts on a TV. That's the primary reason I still have it around. For playing actual GC games I just use my Wii.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 03:03:02 pm »

Yup, it's still a valid console, especially for playing your original GBA carts on a TV. That's the primary reason I still have it around. For playing actual GC games I just use my Wii.

Actually...that's a really good point. I always forget that the GC can play GBA carts on the TV.

Like Howard said...I just figured that people played GC games on a Wii because component was already there. (Even HDMI, with an adapter)
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 03:16:25 pm »
Its definitely crazy to pay this price.  I get it in the case of rare consoles or even rare games - but a freaking cable? 

I posted to alert folks - sell 'em if you got 'em :)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 03:25:51 pm »

That's only because you're showing off that ---smurfy--- Metroid game to house guests.

;D

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 03:39:40 pm »
Fool that ---smurfy--- Metroid game is on 3DS! Try to keep up.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 03:54:14 pm »
Well you can excuse him for not knowing what system it's on seeing as how only three people actually bought the game and only one of those guys actually bothered to play it. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 03:54:50 pm »

Just broke mine out the other day to play some Rogue Squadron.   :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 04:01:44 pm »
Its definitely crazy to pay this price.  I get it in the case of rare consoles or even rare games - but a freaking cable? 

I posted to alert folks - sell 'em if you got 'em :)

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm going to sell at least one of the mine.   :cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 04:50:45 pm »

That was my Christmas present when that thing came out... Gamecube and Rogue Squadron.  Probably the best looking game on that system.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 04:54:44 pm »

That was my Christmas present when that thing came out... Gamecube and Rogue Squadron.  Probably the best looking game on that system.

Yeah it really is a great looking game and is still fun to play.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 05:41:51 pm »
Well you can excuse him for not knowing what system it's on seeing as how only three people actually bought the game and only one of those guys actually bothered to play it.

The cuts are deep man.  :cry:

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 11:09:30 am »
I remember passing on one back in 2008 because it was $70 and I thought that was too high.

Surprised no one has managed to re-implement a clone and sell it by now.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 11:53:14 am »
Gamecube stuff got retarded expensive awhile back.  I bought a few games on clearance, never played them, found them on a shelf long after I sold my Gamecube, and made like $200 flipping them on ebay.  Given that all the games can be stolen and played 100% on the Wii, I was a little bewildered.  Especially since the Gamecube entries in the usual Nintendo series are the worst (Golf, Zelda, Kart).

Still hanging onto an unplayed Resident Evil 10th Anniversary collection.  Pretty sure I paid $5 for it.   :lol  Early retirement, here I come.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 01:14:52 pm »
I literally bought a gamecube to play one game...Resident Evil 4.

Great game but I never finished it. I got all the way to the end and rage quit the final boss. That game got really cheap towards the end.

Anyway, I sold the console on eBay and never looked back. I quite literally skipped that entire console. For me, I never found anything on it worth playing.

The Gamecube was an awkward console for Nintendo. It's not like it was bad or anything but it just lacked a specific Nintendo charm/gimmick they usually have.

I still think the N64 is Nintendo's worst console..but the Gamecube was probably a close 2nd, IMO.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 01:54:37 pm »
I've always bought Nintendo consoles first, but when they showed the original xbox I decided not to for the game cube.  It was actually a few years later that I actually bought one and for me it was resident evil 4 as well, but it's actually the console that re-introduced me into Zelda games.... where WW  focused primarily on action and dungeons I was all over it.  I agree though, it was their weakest console by far and the software for it was also petty much the worst iterations for each franchise. 

According to interviews by Nintendo execs, the gamecube was by far their worst console financially and the great risk they took with the wii was because they had to.... they were bleeding money left and right no matter what conventional options they tried during the lifespan of that console.  I'm sure the switch was the same way.... they took a big risk combining their portable and home console markets because they had to.  Also smash bros. be damned, I still say that the gamecube controller was the worst gamepad they ever created.

The n64 was actually one of their more profitable consoles.....  a lot of it had to do with high accessory sales (now kids needed 4 controllers and memory packs and rumble packs, ect.) the color variants of both the console and the controllers, and the fact that they owned the company that manufactured the carts, so they got a licensing fee AND a manufacturing fee from every third party title.  So I always chuckle when people say that not having a cd drive was a mistake.... they were laughing all the way to the bank.  From a consumer standpoint it was a great console as well.... most games were 4 player and the best iterations of many franchises were on that console.  Hell, Mario 64 was so good that I think it's just now been de-throned by Odyssey as the best single player 3d Mario.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 02:28:15 pm »
I really loved my Gamecube. I got mine around launch, for free, kinda.  At the time the company I was working for had a bad fiscal year, and couldn't afford to give out their regular Christmas bonuses. Since it a game studio, they got deals on bulk console purchases and gave every employee a choice between a Gamecube and Xbox as a bonus.  If you guys remember, they were launched around the same time that year, and the launch titles for the GC seemed so much better than Xbox. Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Squadron:Rogue Leader, and Tony Hawk 3 were the titles that interested me. Compared to Halo on Xbox that was the only game that I was remotely interested in.

Later on having RE4, Wind Waker, the Metroid Primes and Soul Calibur 2 (Playing as Link in a fighting game was one of my dreams!) along with being able to play GBA games solidified my choice. Honourable mentions: Ikaruga (probably the best port of the game because of all the added features), Mario Sunshine, Double Dash, RE0, Resident Evil: Code Veronica (port), and Paper Mario.

The controller never really bothered me as much as the three-pronged fisher price toy of the N64. With the GC's vastly better analog stick that is still working 100% today, you can't say that about the N64 stick.  Especially since the Wavebird was the best option for wireless controls for any console at that time. But in good ol' Nintendo fashion they tried pushing that GBA connectivity gimmick, which only a handful of games bothered using. I remember it being kinda neat in Wind Waker, but no other game other than Pacman Vs. made a solid attempt at integrating that feature.

The gamecube may have been one of Nintendo's biggest failures, but the games library on it was top notch. I put it in the same category as the Dreamcast. Great system, great games, but a business failure.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:30:12 pm by opt2not »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 02:47:20 pm »
Soul Calibur 2 (Playing as Link in a fighting game was one of my dreams!)

That was the only reason I even considered one. I ended up getting one long after the life cycle ended, for free, with some games. The WWF game I had was pretty weak for GC, but I liked Mario Kart and SCII enough. I didnt keep the console long, if memory serves I gave it to one of my nephews and they destroyed it within weeks.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:16:47 pm by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 03:06:30 pm »
When I was burning discs, Gamecube was awesome for multi platform games because the downloads were smaller and usually the only thing different was a down sampled cut scene.  But then I threw a large hard drive in the Xbox and that was the end of that.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 04:21:05 pm »
When I was burning discs, Gamecube was awesome for multi platform games because the downloads were smaller and usually the only thing different was a down sampled cut scene.  But then I threw a large hard drive in the Xbox and that was the end of that.

Exactly.  This was still a generation where 99% of the titles were cross platform, so the console with the highest specs was obviously the better choice.  It sadly started the two console model for future generations though as you still had to buy a gamecube to play Nintendo games. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 05:06:38 pm »
I've still got a pile of sealed mini-DVDRs that I bought for Gamecube.  Hell, I think they're re-writable even.  I ended up buying one of those hushtrap cases that could accomodate a full size DVD.

voltz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2018, 01:17:59 am
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 02:17:31 am »
Wii's component is unfortunately fuzzy by comparison. 
Moff's the Stuff!