Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo LAB0 (Holy crap!)  (Read 8538 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Nintendo LAB0 (Holy crap!)
« on: January 17, 2018, 07:53:52 pm »
Ok first look at this:

I'm not sure if this is the best idea Nintendo has ever had, the worst, or both.  Kids are going to love this stuff, especially the robot.   It looks like they will have two kits, one for 60 bucks that includes a game and all the "toy cons" except the robot for $60 and another for 80 that just includes a game and the robot.  It's a little pricey, but if you take into account the game, it's not much more than the wii era when they were selling us hunks of plastic for 20 bucks a pop.

But why I like it is the potential for hacking.  A lot of these little tricks could be copied and used on the pc for custom game controllers.... the card board gimmicks would just have to be reverse engineered. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Nintendo LAB0 (Holy crap!)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:07:36 pm »
That’s going to be really cool or really lame.  I suppose the headband robot punching game was the augmented reality patents we were all scratching our heads over last year.  I think I’m too old for it but kids might like it.

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:50:37 pm »
well my one kid built a jugger-nog fridge out of a cardboard box and I printed up perk-a-cola labels so he might like this.
doubt the youngest will he only builds the lego dimension kits so he can play the new characters.
I haven't told him he just needs the base. want him to build those things. :)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 11:05:03 pm »
That’s some expensive cardboard.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 12:15:55 am »
It’s nice to see Nintendo focusing on cardboard and not wasting their time on making good games.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:53 am »
You guys don't get it.  Regardless of if this actually turns out to be a viable gameplay experience this will be the next Wii Sports.  Sure it skews young, but parents will like it because it seems educational and kids will love it because kids inexplicably love to play with cardboard, only now, with video games. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:32:29 am »
Oh I get it. It's the same gimmicky ploy that Nintendo gets into now and again. I thought Nintendo was growing more mature with the Switch, but I guess not.

Kids will play with this for 15 mins till it falls apart, or they get bored and revert back to playing Minecraft on their ipads with their friends. 

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 06:44:19 am »
Schools will get wonky for this crap if Nintendo thinks to cater to them. There seems to be an abundance of grade schools with a large "STEM" budget and not enough teachers at those grade levels who entirely know what to do with it.

Makes me think there could be some cool 3d printable flightsticks and other peripherals coming for the switch.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 10:51:59 am »
I'd hate to drop that much on cardboard only to have this happen...

yamatetsu

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:11:16 pm »
Yay! What a wonderful idea! Let's go kill lots of trees and use lots of chemicals to produce toys for spoiled brats that will be destroyed within minutes (the toys, not the brats)!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 01:06:55 pm »
I think it’s a great idea and I think the reason why you guys don’t like it it’s cause you’re not the target audience.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 01:43:31 pm »
Yay! What a wonderful idea! Let's go kill lots of trees and use lots of chemicals to produce toys for spoiled brats that will be destroyed within minutes (the toys, not the brats)!

1.  Trees are a renewable resource.  We can kill all the trees we want without regret so long as we plant more. 
2.  Yes, because the few "chemicals" used to make glue and dye are so bad compared to the hundreds of legitimately toxic chemicals in your average child's electronic toy. 
3.  The cardboard is 100% recyclable, and since you don't throw away the joycons, there isn't any e-waste either.  Again, compare that to your average child's electronic toy.
4.  Also cardboard is very light, so the carbon footprint in regards to shipping is also going to be relatively low. 

Next time think a little before you accuse a product of being bad for the environment please.  It is a legitimate crisis so I take that sort of thing very seriously. 

I would hate being some of you guys.... you've all grown up into boring adults with no sense of whimsy.  You've also become too narrow minded to get that creativity like this will lead to products that are targeted to us as well.  Vigo gets it, as does yots.  I find it particularly sad that somebody that works in the game industry doesn't get it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Nintendo LAB0 (Holy crap!)
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 01:49:56 pm »
Vigo mentioned STEM, as somebody who has had to support those very teachers and students this year, I can definitely see a lot of great applications for this, depending on how flexible it is.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 01:58:09 pm »
I get what Nintendo is trying to do....but what I don't understand is their execution.

With Labo...it's clear that they are trying to encourage crativity by building your own robot, piano, gizmo...BUT you have to do it with Nintendo's pre-cut and determined cardboard shapes.

In other words Nintendo is basically saying "Hey everyone! Look how creative you can be with stuff WE have already made for you"   LOL

Yea I know...people will probably bust out the scissors are make their own switch-enabled toaster. But what's the point? You are still going to be limited by the simplistic software that will interact will the cardboard. Not to mention the fact that people will probably want to publish their cardboard creations for others to use and how are they going to do that? If kids are eating Tide pods, how are we going to expect them to be able to follow dotted lines for bends and straight lines for cuts!!?  ;)

Again, a good idea but the execution isn't possible with the average population's IQ.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:00:56 pm by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

yamatetsu

• Online Online
  • Just because.
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 02:23:36 pm »

1.  Trees are a renewable resource.  We can kill all the trees we want without regret so long as we plant more. 
2.  Yes, because the few "chemicals" used to make glue and dye are so bad compared to the hundreds of legitimately toxic chemicals in your average child's electronic toy. 
3.  The cardboard is 100% recyclable, and since you don't throw away the joycons, there isn't any e-waste either.  Again, compare that to your average child's electronic toy.
4.  Also cardboard is very light, so the carbon footprint in regards to shipping is also going to be relatively low. 

Next time think a little before you accuse a product of being bad for the environment please.  It is a legitimate crisis so I take that sort of thing very seriously. 

1. Yep. We can also kill trees in order to do something useful with them. Replanting trees takes resources, too. Granted, not many, but they are still wasted.

2. Yes, because the few "chemicals" used to make glue and dye are so bad because they are used for a product that nobody needs.

3. The cardboard is 100% recyclable, recycling takes labor, resources and energy, again for something that is not needed.

So, I did think a little before I wrote this, because it is a legitimate crisis so I take that sort of thing very seriously.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 02:29:22 pm »
Vigo mentioned STEM, as somebody who has had to support those very teachers and students this year, I can definitely see a lot of great applications for this, depending on how flexible it is.

Yep! Plenty of stem learning. I agree that there could be good application to this, but wonder if they will get technical enough to really grab the attention of middle school and high school students, hence my jab at grade school stem programs.

I took my kid to a STEM night at his school. Desks littered with snap circuits and no teacher with any know-how on how they work. Felt weird having to teach other peoples kids who were cluelessly beating on them. Then there was the 3d printer that was manned by a teacher who only knew how to run the demo print. Yay! Everybody gets a plastic cube, at least until the extruder jammed! That's the custodian's job to fix. Icing on the cake was the music teacher trying to show kids how to use these little commandable cars and telling kids "that is how computer programs are made". Ugh.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 02:30:13 pm »
With Labo...it's clear that they are trying to encourage crativity by building your own robot, piano, gizmo...BUT you have to do it with Nintendo's pre-cut and determined cardboard shapes.

That model has worked for Lego.

:dunno

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 02:38:38 pm »
I would hate being some of you guys.... you've all grown up into boring adults with no sense of whimsy.  You've also become too narrow minded to get that creativity like this will lead to products that are targeted to us as well.  Vigo gets it, as does yots.  I find it particularly sad that somebody that works in the game industry doesn't get it.
How is this creative for kids? They're following instructions!  It sure is creative for the designers of Nintendo though :lol

See vwalbridge's response below.  He gets it.  This is just IKEA for gaming. Follow the step-by-step assembly instructions and enjoy! Kid's won't learn the fine art of origami from this, they won't learn how to design and shape materials to create something from nothing. All they'll learn is how to put something together that has been pre-made and packaged and sold for $60 a pop.

From a business standpoint Nintendo is laughing. They get to develop a light gaming experience, probably some kind of task-based mini games with a software team that's probably no more than a dozen people, package up cheap cardboard materials, then charge bank for it. As a developer I totally get it. It's a business win because the sheeple will eat this up. As a gamer (I do have to look at things with two sets of eyes sometimes), I think it's just a gimmick that won't have the sticking power of Lego or Minecraft.

I host a bi-weekly Arts & Crafts group for the children of parents of my team at work. We actually create stuff from scratch, with materials that we either get from recycling sources or I ask the kids to bring whatever they want to use that they'd otherwise throw away. That's old school creative learning. Box of materials, some tape and glue, and imagination is all you need.

In other words Nintendo is basically saying "Hey everyone! Look how creative you can be with stuff WE have already made for you"   LOL

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 03:20:34 pm »

Yep! Plenty of stem learning. I agree that there could be good application to this, but wonder if they will get technical enough to really grab the attention of middle school and high school students, hence my jab at grade school stem programs.

I took my kid to a STEM night at his school. Desks littered with snap circuits and no teacher with any know-how on how they work. Felt weird having to teach other peoples kids who were cluelessly beating on them. Then there was the 3d printer that was manned by a teacher who only knew how to run the demo print. Yay! Everybody gets a plastic cube, at least until the extruder jammed! That's the custodian's job to fix. Icing on the cake was the music teacher trying to show kids how to use these little commandable cars and telling kids "that is how computer programs are made". Ugh.

It’s too bad, our STEM program is run by teachers who know what they are doing. In fact, I’m planning and hosting a huge Tech Fair on February 2, and one of the vendors in unveiling a mobile STEM lab. You’d hope such equipment would end up in capable hands, but I dunno.

Personally, as a kid I’d be excited as Hell about something like this. I know a few kids that will be. I see it as an extension of the Switch more than anything else. If Saddam Hussein could turn some PS2s into SCUD Missile launchers, today’s kids could do a lot with this - depending on how open the system proves to be. That’s the clarifier.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 03:21:55 pm »

I host a bi-weekly Arts & Crafts group for the children of parents of my team at work. We actually create stuff from scratch, with materials that we either get from recycling sources or I ask the kids to bring whatever they want to use that they'd otherwise throw away. That's old school creative learning. Box of materials, some tape and glue, and imagination is all you need.

Saturday night at the AirBNB is gonna kick ASS!

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 03:28:35 pm »
I dig the idea and creativity, but they need to come off that price. I would dick around with a set for <$20

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 04:08:17 pm »
Well there is a game in there and Nintendo flat out doesn't sell new games for less than 30 bucks except for very special instances.  So you've got to keep that in mind. 

The speculation is if this catches on they might do single packs for around 20.   

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 05:16:04 pm »

So you have the curriculum of literally every single day care on the planet ever?   :notworthy:

SAVE YOUR PRINGLES CANS!

(I kid -  you keep doing good, bro)

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 11:01:33 am »

1. Yep. We can also kill trees in order to do something useful with them. Replanting trees takes resources, too. Granted, not many, but they are still wasted.

2. Yes, because the few "chemicals" used to make glue and dye are so bad because they are used for a product that nobody needs.

3. The cardboard is 100% recyclable, recycling takes labor, resources and energy, again for something that is not needed.

So, I did think a little before I wrote this, because it is a legitimate crisis so I take that sort of thing very seriously.

Do you throw this kind of tantrum about every product that gets released, ever, or was it simply the best nonsense you could come up with while brainstorming for a reason to complain about a new Nintendo product?

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 11:16:04 am »
I made a Labo meme:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 11:29:45 am »
I made a Labo meme:

Needs to be more dank bro

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 12:40:35 pm »
Should have been "Build what Nintendon't"

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 12:51:33 pm »
Should have been "Build what Nintendon't"

That's perfect!....and I blew it. Shame.  :'(

yamatetsu

• Online Online
  • Just because.
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 01:23:59 pm »

Do you throw this kind of tantrum about every product that gets released, ever, or was it simply the best nonsense you could come up with while brainstorming for a reason to complain about a new Nintendo product?

Nope, that is the first post of this kind I ever made. I didn't throw up a tantrum, I simply stated something I believe to be true and then answered Howard's insult. I don't look for reasons to bash Nintendo products, it just happens to be Nintendo producing this crap. If you think this is nonsense, good for you, I have a different opinion.

dendawg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:16:34 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 12:08:51 am »

IT DOESN'T CATER TO ME SO IT SUCKS!  WAAAAAAAAAAA!!

FTFY

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2018, 11:05:10 am »
I think this is cool.
But i'm not dropping $70 for pre-cut cardboard.
give me free templates and my boys will cut their own stuff out of cardboard.
better yet, just show us the base design needed to perform the gaming function and my kids will customize it themselves.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 01:35:21 pm »
Dude you are paying 60 bucks for a game and 10 bucks for the cardboard.  I can't believe I have to keep explaining this, but the cardboard is USELESS without the GAME that COSTS MONEY. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2018, 10:41:25 pm »
oh.
It comes with a game.
must of missed that part.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2018, 11:48:42 pm »
Yeah and it's annoying that people see the cardboard and they immediately poo poo it off. 

Look at some of the gameXplain and IGN videos.  The motorcycle game is essentially the sequel to excite bike 64, complete with a full level editor that allows you to sculpt the track in 3d by flying a joycon around your room.  If the gameplay is halfway decent I'll buy it for that alone. 

The piano allows you to use samples and you can import/create new samples via drawing them on a piece of cardboard or poster board and inserting them into the piano.  There's going to be a mad following on the net in terms of samples for this particular mini game.  You can also make a player piano note sheet via punching holes.  The tech going on with these things is much more advanced than it is at first glance.

The fishing game looks fairly sophisticated in terms of gameplay and again, you can make fish by cutting them out and scanning them. 

Now there are duds or things that are obviously targeted below our demographic (I'm looking at you cardboard house) but there are also games that we can have fun with, particularly if kids are involved.  I'm not going to run out and buy one day one, but if I can get ahold of a kiosk demo and I like what I see this might be a fun purchase.