Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Off Road resto- no monitor, no chassis, other options?  (Read 6928 times)

arcadeggedon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2019, 07:50:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Super Off Road resto- no monitor, no chassis, other options?
« on: January 16, 2018, 08:22:22 pm »
Hi, first post here, spent the entire day combing through old threads ... nice to see so many arcade cabs getting some new life.

I picked up a Super Off Road w track pack, the 3 steering wheel version, but it came with no chassis, no yoke, no tube... just the boards ...
I live in the hinterland of Canada and cannot just get a 25" k7000 tube and chassis shipped to me or buy one locally.

Ive been trying to figure out my options for a replacement monitor and am def leaning to a LCD conversion.  I have read MANY threads here and KLOV about dont do it!  CRT are better etc...but please understand I have NOTHING left of the original monitor assembly. Not even the frame.

So I hope that I can use a 28" LCD.  It is the widest widescreen LCD that will fit in the cabinet (cab has approx 26 - 27" max width).
https://www.amazon.ca/ViewSonic-VA2855SMH-1080p-Monitor-HDMI/dp/B00NM76PXY

I was going to use a Gonbes CGA to VGA adapter and yes, I would loose some viewing height vs the original 25" crt but it might be a good compromise considering I have no other options that I know of.

I'm worried that the new LCD linked above will not display 4:3 ...it doesn't really say.  it does have a few different viewing modes.  Ad says 16:9 , but what about the original 25" CRT being a low or standard res monitor and low refresh rate?  will the Gonbes adapter adjust the output signal to work with this new "high tech" display monitor?  I apologize in advance, I really am trying to learn all of this language and skills...I confess I'm not sure I even know what I'm talking about but have to start somewhere.  Looking for a kind person or two to weigh in here with advice - basically ...will my plan work?  I'm not looking for perfection and originality.

Alternatively, if someone in the Pacific NW has a source for a 25" K7000 Monitor and Chassis please point me in this direction.
Much appreciated!  Will post some pics up... cause everyone likes pics right.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Super Off Road resto- no monitor, no chassis, other options?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 06:39:46 am »
 Everyone uses that excuse so they can shove a crappy LCD into a cab that wasn't designed for it. Be patient. find a CRT.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:23:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 03:35:04 pm »
There is just no LCD replacement for a 25" 4:3 CRT. It'll end up stretched or way too small. It would be so cool to get a real CRT in there.

Any standard resolution (which is 90% of what you'll find) CRT will do. You don't need the specific brand or model.

Klaatu42

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2018, 07:24:13 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:34:42 pm »
Hi there. I'm also in the process of restoring a Super Off-Road in Canada (Sudbury). We should connect and compare notes. I just posted a reply to a thread in this forum about Super Off-Road to add my link to the 3D printable encoder wheel I just finished. I'll post a separate thread about it now. If you have any broken teeth on your encoder and have the earlier cup style, this could be helpful.

I don't have much input on the monitor front for you, because my monitor is there and intact and likely just needs a cap kit, so I won't be replacing it.

arcadeggedon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:06:30 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.
Hi Klaatu, thanks for saying hi... It would be great to compare some notes behind the scenes.  I'm trying to figure out what i have and dont have (need) to complete my Off Road.  At a cross roads : collect crt parts or go LCD.  i see new replacement 25" chassis for sale on ebay but I'm lost how to make this work with a 25" tv tube from my local buy and sell?   More research needed.  Will update shortly.  Cheers.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 07:41:54 pm »
look for a 25" CRT TV and get one of these?
https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=RGB2TV

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 05:23:01 pm »
    Canada doesn't have mail trucks? :o.... I would go back to the cat that sold you that cab and see if maybe that tube is on the shelf or something before you get too far into this.

arcadeggedon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:17:54 pm »
Everyone uses that excuse so they can shove a crappy LCD into a cab that wasn't designed for it. Be patient. find a CRT.

I am trying to find a CRT.  But they are not easy to find out in arcade wasteland.  It would help if I knew that any 25" CRT (TV or Monitor) would work ...I have no chassis, yoke or frame.  I doubt finding a 25" CRT at my local recycling depot would magically plug and play into my 3 vacant wiring connectors... (being the 3 pin RGB, the 3 pin H/V synch w ground, and the other one 2 pin I dont know yet what it is).  Tried to upload pics but they are too large a file, so will try again.

arcadeggedon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 11:20:22 pm »
look for a 25" CRT TV and get one of these?
https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=RGB2TV

Thanks NW, I had no idea those even existed until now.  Anyone vouch for success using this product?  Does open up some possibilities (I think). 

arcadeggedon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 11:25:46 pm »
    Canada doesn't have mail trucks? :o.... I would go back to the cat that sold you that cab and see if maybe that tube is on the shelf or something before you get too far into this.

Haha yes Jennifer, Canada does have mail trucks, mind you we are expected to get 2 ft of snow overnight.  Believe me I did ask / beg the cat that sold me this cab to have another look/ give me some details where the monitor and chassis went, but he couldn't remember.  Im thinking its in another one of his machines but regardless, same empty handed result.  I looked at the tri-mode 25" CRT avail from Niemen Displays today online (they are in Canada!  On the other side of the country), and therefore the mail truck will be big bux I'm thinking to ship to me, but nevertheless I will ask them for a price tomorrow.

arcadeggedon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 11:39:59 pm »
I have to admit I am pretty discouraged by this project.  In part because this is my first big arcade project/rescue and dont have the knowledge yet.  I'm coming from pinball background, and monitors/chassis/syncs are a new language. 

I had a few bevvies one night and ordered a Gonbes cga-vg converter as well as a 28" LCD w a vga input thinking this will be a snap.  But after reading a lot more about issues with not being able to get a stable signal on older low res arcade games and frustration using w Gonbes boards I am very nervous about the Leyland machine I have and compatibility w Gonbes adapter. 

I'm also stumped at the horizontal and vertical sync I have (grey and white wires) and making it into a composite sync.  I read a thread on here about one fellow trying to convert a SOR to LCD and that owner sold the machine after frustration trying to make it work.  I usually learn the most expensive way possible, so Im on track  :applaud:  on that anyways.

Thanks for reading along so far.  Your patience is appreciated as well as helpful advice.  As mentioned above I will price out a tri-mode CRT from Niemens tomorrow.   

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 12:16:42 am »
     Discouraged already? Relax, drink a crème soda, grab some cookies or something.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:38:56 am by jennifer »

arcadeggedon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 12:09:44 pm »
Thanks Jennifer for the link.  I went and ate some cookies but see that now you have removed the link...why?

Haven't had a lot of time to dig into this lately.  Right now my priority is to see if I have working cpu boards and spent some time cleaning up the very dusty boards.  I was hoping to have some signs of life like the background music play or take a credit , but nothing when plugged in and turned on.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 09:18:57 am »
Have you looked for a CRT TV at thrift stores?
Ask on FB to see if people have one.

every time I move someone who has been in a house forever I find a few of them in the basement.

arcadeggedon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 11:16:59 am »
Hi , yes in fact I got a free 29" crt sitting on the floor beside the machine, I know it is too big but for testing purposes and use w my Atari 2600 it is fine.  I was hoping for some positive feedback on the rgb to tv converter you posted above before I spend approx $100 on this but it does seem like a potential solution. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:41:37 am by arcadeggedon »

Yamahayz26

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2021, 06:43:14 pm
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 10:01:08 am »
I know this is older, but did you have any success with led/LCD conversion?