Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PC Hardware Help  (Read 1612 times)

Blux

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:49:33 am
PC Hardware Help
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:25:49 pm »
I have 2 sets of motherboards/cpus to choose from out of spare stuff I have.   Just need suggestions on which would be better.

Phenom II x4 840 @ 3.2GHZ, 16GB DDR3 + GIGABYTE GA-880GM Mobo.

or

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 8GB DDR2 (Maybe DDR3? Can't remember) + Dell Factory Mobo

Going to be pairing either of these with an NVidia 6800GS (S-Video Output) and a 27" Sony Trinitron CRT with S-Video input.

I want fighting games and classics.  I would love to be able to play Soul Calibur 2 Arcade Edition, but that seems to be way too much game for either sets of hardware here, so any of the older fighting arcade games would be good.

What version of MAME would you recommend for this hardware?

thorr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2022, 05:57:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: PC Hardware Help
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 12:39:05 am »
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X4-840

The Phenom is slightly better.  Also take into consideration the fan noise if they are any different.  Either motherboard would probably work fine.  I would recommend to start with the latest version of Mame and see how it runs.  Mortal Kombat plays perfectly on my much slower Raspberry Pi, so I think you will be fine for many of your games.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:38:33 am »
I have 2 sets of motherboards/cpus to choose from out of spare stuff I have.   Just need suggestions on which would be better.

Phenom II x4 840 @ 3.2GHZ, 16GB DDR3 + GIGABYTE GA-880GM Mobo.

or

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 8GB DDR2 (Maybe DDR3? Can't remember) + Dell Factory Mobo

Going to be pairing either of these with an NVidia 6800GS (S-Video Output) and a 27" Sony Trinitron CRT with S-Video input.

I want fighting games and classics.  I would love to be able to play Soul Calibur 2 Arcade Edition, but that seems to be way too much game for either sets of hardware here, so any of the older fighting arcade games would be good.

What version of MAME would you recommend for this hardware?

You can install multiple versions of Mame if you have to. My general rule is to use a Mame version that was current around the time your PC would have been new.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:23:43 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 04:29:41 pm »
The Phenom will be about about 50% faster so definitely use that one! And just use the lastest version of mame, it will be quick enough for any 2D game at least.