Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [4/1/2024] -Pi4/5 Support Incoming -Major League SkeeBall -- SkeeBall Controller  (Read 92226 times)

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:19:42 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
So, I could really use a graphic designer because my score graphics SUCK... but here's EightShot with sound and some pop-up score indicators.

I can assist you with the graphics. Tell me what you need and I can produce them!! This is a great project. I'd love to get the latest release. I plan on modding a 10' Barrington Billiards Roll and Score Game.

That would be awesome.. I want to release a public version of this but I really need to update some of the graphics in the game and to change out some completely.. I'm will try to log into windows tomorrow and get you a windows build. 

hugowhere2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2022, 10:03:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I am building a Skee Ball for my bar in Vietnam. I am building from scratch and the software will be the last step.  I am interested in testing your software. Are there any instructions? Also what computer do you use, etc.

thanks for any information

Rapidflipper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 09:03:57 am
I created an account just to say thanks for developing and sharing this software.  I picked up a 13’ Skee Ball Extreme bowler and plan to install your software package.  My family is going to love multiplayer gameplay.  I will post a followup once complete, and sharing a “before” photo now.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Awesome.  I've been insanely busy with work and a consulting job taking up 100% of my time, so I'm not always online and haven't had made any updates to the software in a while, but it works -- please feel free to reach out here if you have any questions and I'll TRY to respond when I can.

Rapidflipper

• Offline Offline
Awesome.  I've been insanely busy with work and a consulting job taking up 100% of my time, so I'm not always online and haven't had made any updates to the software in a while, but it works -- please feel free to reach out here if you have any questions and I'll TRY to respond when I can.

Hello NIPSMG,
The software is excellent, and my family particularly enjoys the Zapp game.  I’d love to customize the sounds a bit.  For the Classic game, I noticed there are scoring sound clips for each value but they aren’t used in the game.  Am I able to turn those on somehow?

I took a demo video to show a friend, and sharing here so you can see my setup.  I also want to do some cool things with lighting. Thanking addressable LED strips that react when you score.
https://imgur.com/a/gE2qExq

Rapidflipper

• Offline Offline
Side note, I’d also love a copy of the e-book on SDK development.  Would be great to learn!

shimoda

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2023, 09:56:11 pm
Finally found my old kadevice minimus 32 board and set it up for the default keystrokes but wondering how this software will activate a ball release and through what medium (what device will send the signal instead of receiving signals.  Haven't seen how activating the ball release solenoid is done with this software.

shimoda

• Offline Offline

Hello NIPSMG,
The software is excellent, and my family particularly enjoys the Zapp game.  I’d love to customize the sounds a bit.  For the Classic game, I noticed there are scoring sound clips for each value but they aren’t used in the game.  Am I able to turn those on somehow?

I took a demo video to show a friend, and sharing here so you can see my setup.  I also want to do some cool things with lighting. Thanking addressable LED strips that react when you score.

One thing you can do is to use a different sound file - problem is they are xnb format.  Textract will pull wav files from the XNBs for you and you can use a wav to xnb converter (found one somewhere that worked) and then just rename the file to the original sound name.  I tried this out successfully to replace the SkeeBallSong.  Note - longer songs will just keep playing till they are done.  Waiting to get source code so I can make more changes.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Hello NIPSMG,

Addressible LED lighting has been a plan for some time now.  I have already prototyped the hardware using an ESP32 and some custom arduino code along with the .net serial interface to control it.  I just don't have the time to add it.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 11:34:04 am by nipsmg »

shimoda

• Offline Offline
So I was getting multiple switch hits with the software on my custom game that uses mechanical switches for ball scoring.  Ball will only go over the switch for its point value but may bounce and get up multiple 'hits' within less than a second.  Set game mode to 'PhysicalSwitches' in the config.json file but still getting multiple switch hits.  Is there a fix for the multi0ple scoring?  Every target also only counts for 10, rather than 20/30/40/50.  I assume that's the mode but wondering if OpticalWithBallDrain is the better setting...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 05:53:55 pm by shimoda »

Moleburt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 05:40:31 pm
Can this all be played with a trackball?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:35:20 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Can this all be played with a trackball?
Nipsmg's software is for a physical SkeeBall build.

If you're looking for a videogame version of SkeeBall that uses a trackball controller, check out eds1275's Ramp & Roll.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140795.0.html

Scott

Rapidflipper

• Offline Offline
We are still loving the software.  I asked this question previously, but wanted to try again. I was able to swap in some different game start music, but want to enable sounds when the ball scores each time. I noticed there are scoring sound clips for each value but they aren’t used in the game.  Am I able to turn those on somehow?

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 03:52:25 pm
  • Old nerd.
Wow I've been asleep for a while and missed a lot of fun. I will catch up on this thread, but if you need any more game ideas I have so many and I'll never get to them as I've been making Skee Ball games in Adobe Flash for about a decade now. I almost started over and redid them all in Unity, but it is too much work so I am still doing Flash games for my machine. I just added full color lighting to mine, and am currently updating all my games to work in full color. I added high scoring on some of them as well. I'll post when I have enough progress for it to be worthwhile. This looks great keep up the good work. Here is a teaser of my full-color set-up in progress with the first game made specifically to use all the lighting to the fullest. 
https://imgur.com/a/0E1pfQ0
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 10:04:42 am by nickels »
D'oh!

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
cool man .. I'm hoping I can get back to it this summer, and DEFINITELY plan on doing LED integration-- I wrote a ESP32 program that was serial driveable via C# -- I'll have to get back to it.

I'd love to talk about game ideas and see some of yours.   I always wanted to learn Unity as well -- this is done in MonoGame, but I might pivot to unity-- who knows.

This is IF i get spare time-- which is not likely now -- working 2 nearly full time jobs AND taking flight lessons. :-/

Rapidflipper

• Offline Offline
If there are any new releases for custom software, I would love to be a volunteer tester.  Happy bowling all!

ddgreens

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 12:06:58 am
This is awesome, I bought 3 Xtreme Skeeball machines last week and then found this thread.
I have one of them up and running on this software and I love it
A couple of questions
How do i get a copy of the ebook? When I click on the link from the front page it takes me to the summary of chapters but I can not find a download link
Second, when I run the software there is some information in the top left of the screen (resolution, number of players, etc) How do I get that turned off
Great software, I am really enjoying playing with it
Thanks

ddgreens

• Offline Offline
Well I figured out how to get the information off of the top left of the screen.
It looks like this is not being worked on anymore
Thanks for the software, it really is a lot of fun
I would still love to have the ebook if it is still available
Thanks again

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
I still have it, I actually found it this weeken.  I’ll put it somewhere today for download.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Re: Raspberry PI SUPPORT!-Major League SkeeBall -- SkeeBall Controller
« Reply #259 on: November 06, 2023, 01:09:29 pm »
So, I decided to pick this up and do a little work on it.. and I've made some interesting progress:

I've fully upgraded the project to the newest version of MonoGame, and have it running successfully on a Raspberry Pi.  This was really one of the original intentions, to get it running on SBCs for installation in a skeeball cabinet-- and that dream is now a reality.

I've got a little momentum here so there may be more to come..

ddgreens

• Offline Offline
That is awesome!
Let me know if you need any testing done
Love the software

pnut146

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2024, 06:43:45 am
Hello   
I have been trying to get the software running on a rpi3 for weeks now.  I am interested in how you have gotten it to work.  Is there a github that has the complete image to get it up and running?

RobPatton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 29, 2024, 08:58:35 pm
Just found this project and am love the app so far.  Lots of questions:
Is this still under dev?   
Is an ipad-2 the best board?
Is there an pi-3/4/5 image to run this?

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Just found this project and am love the app so far.  Lots of questions:
Is this still under dev?   
Is an ipad-2 the best board?
Is there an pi-3/4/5 image to run this?

1. No, not really under active dev--  I don't have any time to do anything at the moment -- am working 2 jobs.
2. Board doesn't matter, as long as it's a keyboard encoder / can be mapped to keys.
3.  I did recently create version updated to a new version of MonoGame and got it to run on a Pi4, but I don't have an image yet.   Maybe someday in the next few months but I'm not promising anything.  For now it's windows only.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
We are still loving the software.  I asked this question previously, but wanted to try again. I was able to swap in some different game start music, but want to enable sounds when the ball scores each time. I noticed there are scoring sound clips for each value but they aren’t used in the game.  Am I able to turn those on somehow?

No, it was the original intention,  but it got annoying pretty quickly so I removed it. 

rick_bungle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 08:44:54 pm
Maybe a dumb question, but is there a place to edit the text?  As an example I noticed it says "2rd" place.  I don't know anything about programming but I can edit config and XML files!  I poked around but didn't find anything.  I saw it was mentioned in a post from 2021.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Maybe a dumb question, but is there a place to edit the text?  As an example I noticed it says "2rd" place.  I don't know anything about programming but I can edit config and XML files!  I poked around but didn't find anything.  I saw it was mentioned in a post from 2021.

that's a bug.  I'll have to fix that this spring when I get a new final release out.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Re: [4/1/2024] - Pi4/5 Support Incoming this Spring / Summer
« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2024, 08:20:56 pm »

Got my Pi5 in and had to at least get a POC running.  Still have a ton of billing work to do so I wont' have a ton of time to work on it, but I'd like to get to it this spring.