Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [6/29/19]*Alpha w/ Optical Support*-Major League SkeeBall -- SkeeBall Controller  (Read 90736 times)

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:26:06 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Spent some more time this morning before work and on lunch break to implement a working version of this.

InGame Screenshot:

Video:

Currently missing:
  • Game over indicator
  • Player Turn Change Indicator
  • Winner Indicator
  • Sounds

Dakotajp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2023, 02:03:04 pm
This looks Awesome!!

funbobby

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2022, 12:16:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Looks Great! 

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
EightShot Changes:
  • Added game over graphics
  • Added player change graphics
  • Added Winner indicators

Missing:
  • Sounds

Video:

OmahaPaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2022, 08:21:09 am
Looks Great.  The look is very similar to my beerball.  The name is clever too.  I like it.  I can't wait to try it out .  Keep us posted on finished product.  I have another donation coming for you as well.  If you wanted another game to implement i have an antique one that is a 6 player and scores kind of like bowling but with some bonus mulitplyier scoring.  It is also a 3 ball rotation per round.  I have another friend that really likes it and would be wiling to donate toward the creation of it.  It sounds like you are pretty busy so maybe after the first of the year or whenever it slows down for you we could touch base if you wanted to do it.  If not the 8 shot fills my need and is much appreciated.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
OmahaPaul - Dump any specifics you can about how that game works and I'm sure i can get something implemented for you guys.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
So, I could really use a graphic designer because my score graphics SUCK... but here's EightShot with sound and some pop-up score indicators.

EDIT:

There are still some bugs.  timing is off too--.  I don't love the player change "banners" that much anymore.. I'm thinking I should have pop-up notifications for player change.. And the Scoring should't pop up and overlay -- I'm almost thinking I should wait until the score indicator disappears before showing the player change banner.

I'm open to suggsestions/thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:15:39 am by nipsmg »

Dakotajp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2023, 02:03:04 pm
Completely agree with you on the Popup and overlay.

MotoGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2022, 01:14:58 pm
I've got Skee Ball Too with a bad display and in my hunt for one of those

If you still want a replacement display check out http://www.kahr.us/  Rob made a very nice direct replacement with LEDs.  I have it on my Model S and it is awesome, very very simple to install.

djb_rh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 03:50:18 pm

If you still want a replacement display check out http://www.kahr.us/  Rob made a very nice direct replacement with LEDs.  I have it on my Model S and it is awesome, very very simple to install.

Thanks, but Skee Ball Too uses a DMD of sorts, not the same display as the S. But I seriously don't even care now...just need to find the time to do this upgrade instead.  I'm sorta waiting until it runs on an rPi easily, though.

--Donnie

stangx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2024, 08:50:30 am

Thanks, but Skee Ball Too uses a DMD of sorts, not the same display as the S. But I seriously don't even care now...just need to find the time to do this upgrade instead.  I'm sorta waiting until it runs on an rPi easily, though.

--Donnie

I would just keep your eyes open for a laptop with a busted screen. You're using a monitor or tv as the screen for this project anyways, and can be had for super cheap. That is what I am using now. Picked up for 20 dollars. Install windows and you're off to the races. I mounted mine on the side and have mouse and keyboard controls if needed. I was using a Zbox but that is in another project now. Any questions on setup, optical sensors power supply, or anything to get you up and going, just ask. This software is amazing and windows make it a snap. You will be up and playing in no time

djb_rh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 03:50:18 pm
I hear you, and while I’m sure I could get it to work under Windows, the fact is I hate Windows and I’m much better on pretty much any other OS than I am Windows. And I’m just not in a hurry to get to this project right now as I have a few other more pressing projects to get through first.

Believe me, I *can* do it that way.  If I wanted the machine now, I would do it that way.  But ultimately, once someone gets it working on an rPi, that will be an even more simple way to do it.

—Donnie

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Well, until I get it on another OS (which is #6 on my priority list at the moment), grab an Atomic Pi if you want a cheap solution.  My machine is running on a $35 Atomic Pi.

It will likely be running on an rPi4 if at all.  There are too many hoops to get MonoGame working properly on an rPI3, especially with the audio and OpenGL ES drviers.  And MonoGame runs dog slow in non-accelerated mode, even for a completely 2D experience like I have.   I've toyed with moving it to FNA, which would require very little code rework, but there are some thing I need to understand about it, and for that I need time, and time is the one commodity I'm very short on these days.

NadasRevenge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2020, 03:52:19 pm
  • Skee Skee
Hi Nipsmg
I can't PM you for somw reason.   Could you PM me, I have some questions, and would like to share
What you've inspired me to build, I'm pretty proud. 😁
Nada

After purchasing a SkeeBall Model H and following the Skee-Ball threads on BYOAC, I've started creating a suite of SkeeBall games to run in my cabinet.  This thread will chronicle progress on the software.  I plan on eventually releasing it publicly.

Most of the games ideas were taken from other software that's been developed by other members including ThatPurpleStuff and a posting by SJAAK.  Others come from dart games.

Want to be a tester??
Info here : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156300.msg1646011.html#msg1646011

Want to try out the Alpha SDK and E-Book for Creating Add-On Games?
Info here :
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156300.msg1655066.html#msg1655066

Download the software with optical support -- alpha release
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156300.msg1690637.html#msg1690637

Features:
  • Resolution Independence - Defaults to 720p but will letterbox for any 4:3 resolutions
  • Cross Platform - Made as a DesktopGL MonoGame project, it can be complied to run on Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.
  • High-Score Keeping
  • In-game instructions and game information
  • Attract Mode
  • Developer SDK (Developers can create new games and extend the platform via an SDK to be provided at release)

Video

Is youtube embedding broken?!

Alpha Gameplay Demo
Graphical Menu Implementation
Attract Mode Demo
Games:
Bowling
Number of Players
1-4 players (selectable)
Game Description:
Bowling plays and scores just like normal bowling.  The 10 - 50 hole award 1-5 pins respectively with the 100 pockets being an automatic strike or spare.  There is a constantly rotating number of extra pins that can be added to a throw, indicated by a Extra Pins indicator on the game screen (idea taken from ThatPurpleStuff's bowling implementation)
Game Features:
  • 1-4 players selectable at round start.
  • Exciter Animations (With sound) for Strikes, Spares, Turkey, and Gutter balls
  • Ambient bowling alley background sound

Screenshot:

Classic
Number of Players
Game Description:
Classic SkeeBall.
Get the highest possible score in 9 balls
Game Features:
  • Authentic SkeeBall Sound Effects

Screenshot:

Skeeball Bonus
Number of Players
Game Description:
A riff off of FreeSkee by ThatPurpleStuff.
Classic Skeeball Gameplay with a bonus multiplier! Hit the same pocket repeatedly for up to 5x bonus!

Game Features:
  • Classic Gameplay
  • Bonus Multipliers by hitting same pocket multiple times.

Screenshot:

Skeemax
Number of Players
Game Description:
A riff off of FlashPoint by ThatPurpleStuff.
Classic Skeeball Gameplay with a bonus multiplier! Time your shots for maximum bonus!

Game Features:
  • Classic Gameplay
  • Constantly rotating bonus multiplier

Screenshot:

Stanger in the Alps
Number of Players
Game Description:
This is essentially the Cliffhanger game from ThatPurpleStuff's skeeball software with a name change (an ode to Lebowski fans).
Progress from 10 through 100 in a few balls as possible before time runs out.

Game Features:
  • background music
  • Sound Effects

Screenshot:

Whack-A-Hole
Number of Players
Game Description:
Whack-A-Mole. 
Score the most points in 9 balls by trying to hit the mole.  Only balls that hit the mole score.
Game Features:
  • Background music
  • Mole Sound Effects

Screenshot:

Skricket
Number of Players
2 (not selectable)
Game Description:
A riff on the classic dart game, cricket.
Each players gets 3 tries to attempt to hit the numbers listed on the left.  After hitting a number 3 times, the player "closes" that number.  If other players have not yet closed that number, the player can hit it again and gets the value of the hole added to their score.  The object of the game is to close all numbers first with the highest score.
Game Features:
  • Sound Effects from Scorpion 9000 Cricket

Screenshot:

X10
Number of Players
1-4 (selectable)
Game Description:
A riff on the classic dart game (3/5/7/901).

All players start with 310 (or 510,710,910 depending on the game variant).  The goal is to get to 0 first, hitting zero exactly.  Each player takes turns throwing 3 balls each round.  If a player goes under zero, their score gets reset to the score they had at the beginning of the round.  The winner gets to 0 (exactly) first.

Game Features:
  • Sound Effects from Scorpion 9000
  • Number of players selectable at round start
  • Game Variant (310/510/710/910) selectable at game start.

Screenshots:

X20 ZAP
Number of Players
1-4 (selectable)
Game Description:
A riff on 321 ZAP from Merit Games (a popular game on the Scorpion 9000 Arcade Dart Board).

All players start with zero, and the goal is to get to the game score (320/520/720/920 depending on the variant) by hitting holes and adding the value of the hole to your score.  Each player throws 3 balls each round.  If the player goes over the game score, the overage gets subtracted from their round starting score, and they lose their turn.  The winner gets to the game score first.

The Twist:  If at any time while playing your score exactly matches another player's score, that player is "zapped" back down to zero and has to start from zero.
Game Features:
  • Sound Effects from Scorpion 9000
  • Number of players selectable at round start
  • Game Variant (320/520/720/920) selectable at game start.

Screenshots:

Riskee
Number of Players
Game Description:
This is a riff off "Skeel of 40s" from FreeSkee.

There is a "Bonus Chooser" to the right of the scoring area that starts off with the following bonuses:
  • 2 Balls
  • 4 Balls
  • 6 Balls
  • 8 Balls
  • Clear Bombs
  • 250 Points
  • 500 Points
  • 750 Points
  • 1k Points

Scoring works as standard scoring with the following additions:

If you hit any hole other than 40, your score increases by that amount, and one of the open bonuses is replaced with a bomb.
If you hit 40, the bonus chooser spins.  You are either awarded a bonus, or hit "Clear Bombs" or hit a bomb.

Clear Bombs will remove any of the bombs in the bonus chooser.
A bomb will force the bomb defuser to pop up.  It will count down from 5. 
If you hit a 100 pocket before time is up, the bomb will defuse.  If you hit any other pocket or time runs out, the bomb goes off and you lose all your points.

Game Features:
  • Animated graphics and sound effects.
  • Bonuses (extra balls AND/OR points)
  • High Scoring Ability

Gameplay Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssnRh9_296I&feature=youtu.be

Screenshots:

ToDo
  • Add in high-score system
  • Add final sound effects for classic
  • Sound Effects for 310/320ZAP
  • Game Over graphics for classic
  • Add a sound effect for going over the game score in zap/x10
  • Convert bowling scoring grid into drawable components (fixes text overlay on top of bowling exciter animations)
  • Implement FreeSkee variant
  • Implement FlashPoint variant
  • Remove text-based menu and implement graphical menu
  • Finish attract mode implementation
  • Implement system-wide game instructions functionality
  • Add system-wide game-over drawablegamecomponent
  • Add system-wide "You're up player X" component.
  • Code clean-up and refactoring
  • Create sample game project for SDK
  • Blog post for Game Creation
  • Add round displays for x10 and zap

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
I can't PM you for somw reason.
Now that you're a Jr. Member, your PM system is enabled.   :cheers:

Scott

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Hey guys, I’ve stalled out a bit on this as I’m just finishing up the new community server to enable tournaments for  PGA Tour Team Challenge edition.  Should be launching that this month, then I will circle back to this.

NadasRevenge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2020, 03:52:19 pm
  • Skee Skee
Thank you Scott, much appreciated.  Bare with me as I try and learn how this forum works.  I've got a model H that I've been working on and would love to share with you guys.  Everyone here has been inspirational on my journey into the world of Skee-Ball
Nada

I can't PM you for somw reason.
Now that you're a Jr. Member, your PM system is enabled.   :cheers:

Scott

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
This would be sweet on a Golden Tee cab. I've written a rudimentary bash script that interfaces with the I/O board to read trackball, buttons, etc. Interested in getting this to run

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
This would be sweet on a Golden Tee cab. I've written a rudimentary bash script that interfaces with the I/O board to read trackball, buttons, etc. Interested in getting this to run

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

how would you intend for that to work?  This doesn't allow for a virtual ball to be rolled.    You need a real physical skeeball machine for this, scoring is measured by the ball activating the hole switches.

drwatsonii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2021, 11:55:55 pm
Here are some pics of my setup. You can see the bracket inside the hole that houses the optical sensor. (every hole the same) Close up Sensor bracket pic is pointed down inside ball return lane for the gutter ball count. Arduino for lighting, ( still want to do more with the lighting) Pic of power supply I am using to power optical sensors hooked up to Ipac II. Joystick, Start(enter), exit button on side and volume control Pic. Also LED black light to make the playfield pop. Also gave the balls a coat of fluorescent paint and clear coat to give it a lava effect under black light. Also a pic of a smart controller. Hook computer to master and everything else will power on and off with the computer. I also added skeeball exe to windows startup so it will auto boot into the skeeball games menu when you power it up.

I just picked up a Skee Ball Lightning and I was wondering if you used the stock optics that came with the machine?  I am sure i will have more questions later on.

Thanks

stangx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2024, 08:50:30 am
Yes, I used the stock optics. A new power supply and Ipac II connected to the computer.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Anyone who's actually using this have any suggestions for new games, features, etc?
I'd like to pick this back up at some point this summer -- I'd love some input.

jimdeprado

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 01:48:44 pm
Anyone who's actually using this have any suggestions for new games, features, etc?
I'd like to pick this back up at some point this summer -- I'd love some input.

What about some sort of tug-of-war game.  You could have each person throw 1 to 3 balls each and the score would move the other team closer to the pit in the middle. 

I am not a programmer, but I am more than willing to help in any way that I can.

Jim

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
That’s actually the sample game in the SDK.  I never released it but people can build it from scratch following the guide.  I can always add that in...

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2020, 03:44:53 pm
I use it all the time and really like it!  Building one for a friend now, is the alpha code still good to use?  Last time I downloaded it was a year ago.

Thx

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Should be.  I found a bunch of bugs I want to fix, so maybe a new release sometime this summer if I can find the time.

jwilling

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2020, 12:31:51 pm

After purchasing a SkeeBall Model H and following the Skee-Ball threads on BYOAC, I've started creating a suite of SkeeBall games to run in my cabinet.  This thread will chronicle progress on the software.  I plan on eventually releasing it publicly.

Greetings;

Would very much to join your testing group for this project!  If you could let me know what is required to do so.

<a day or so later>

OK, had time to actually read through the entire thread and found the links!  This should be fun!
Thanks!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:41:29 am by jwilling »

Skeepatrol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2020, 03:30:50 pm
Should be.  I found a bunch of bugs I want to fix, so maybe a new release sometime this summer if I can find the time.

So my wife was pissed when I brought home a Skee Ball machine. Now, she's hooked. She asks at dinner every night if we can go down and play after we put the baby down. She's hooked. I need to strike while the iron is hot to get another one.

I am going to keep my model S as is, but just picked up a 13 footer that I want to convert to this. Before I started I wanted to download the software to demo it.
Excellent job!
I am a newbie. I'm not going to even pretend to be savvy. But I want to help any way I can.
There's quite a few things that I've noticed while going through keystrokes on my keyboard. Before I make a list of everything that I noticed, I was curious if there was a newer version?

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
No new versions yet, but I did just recently make some bug fixes and there is a good chance this will be getting a massive overhaul this winter so stay tuned!

Irata

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 07:55:32 pm
Hi!

I was wondering if you could help point me in the right direction with what to do with your files? I'm used to things being a little more plug-n-play, but not afraid to rll up my sleevs.

I've had a home built skeeball for 2 years now, just hadn't worked up the initiative to wire up electronic scoring.

I've picked up an Atomic Pi, and have that running, downloaded the Optical Support 'MLS' files that are for OpenGL (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryh8buo4b6t5nkq/MLS-OPTICAL-DesktopGL.zip?dl=0), and I believe I have monogame installed per the directions on monogame.net, though I'm not entirely confident I do. That's where it gets fuzzy for me - no programmer, but I've been my RPi arcade cabinet, and Visual Pinball Cabinet

I guess I'm wondering what file(s) of yours do I need to open, and in what to get it running? Hopefully this isn't way too much of a tech support issue for you. I'd love to move beyond the paper and pencil scoring method.

Whatever help you can provide would be appreciated. I'm planning on doing a build thread, and I hope I can get the scoring figured out to finish it up.

Thanks!

Here's what it looks like without any technical wizardry:

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
My kids play it a lot.  One thing I suggest is changing it so you can't exit the game entirely.  My kids do this and then can't relaunch it.  Basically a key for back and a separate key to escape the game.

I'm building a second one for a friend.   This is a 13' model with the traditional plastic funnel catch.  I think I'll be using the configuration for physicalSwitches.  Do I need a ball drain for that?  Looks like I do.  So can I use the existing wiring and map all the holes to "A" for 10pt (then 50pt for the tops), or do I need to rewire them individually? Edit: Had to do them individually then mounted a ball drain at the bottom.

One comment.  Mine works fine with no ball drain switch in OpticalWithGutterDetect, I never figured out how to add one, and with some of the games where speed counts more than anything, I don't think I'd want one based on my set up.  Basically gutterballs are freebees.

Especially with the 13' model, I've found it best to use 2 KeyWiz's from Groovey Game gear.  One for the controls, one for the holes.  Worth the extra $40.

Looking forward to an updated version!

Another request:  On the Exit page where it says hit the yellow button, my button is white, would be nice if you could select the color via config file.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 03:43:42 pm by Gumpyme2 »

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
I tried the Pi route but found it very easy to just use a $100 Windows PC stick.

Irata

• Offline Offline
I tried the Pi route but found it very easy to just use a $100 Windows PC stick.
Yeah, I might be getting to that point. I've gone pretty far down a bunch of Linux rabbit holes with no success. Seemed like if I could get Wine running Monogame, I should be able to open the MLS .exe file, but I've hit wall after wall. Like I said, I'm no programmer. Got the program running on a neighboring PC, but that's not going into the skeeball.

I was hopeful I could get it running on the Atomic Pi, but so far, no dice.

Irata

• Offline Offline
So I've abandoned the idea of getting this to run on the Linux Atomic Pi.

I've gone and installed Windows Lite on the APi instead, and after a day of wrestling with driver issues, finally have it running with audio on the APi. Now to reconfigure my controls and get the IR sensors wired.

Dread In The Shed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 09:36:25 am
I am currently making plans to build a skeeball this summer I just grabbed the bulk of wood, bwith all my builds I like to start with the system prior to the woodworking.

I'm wondering how do I get this software? Is it available, I would love to run it.

The work you have put in is quite amazing.

Thanks in advance

tho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 06:09:47 pm
Hi, thanks so much for creating this software and making it available.  I have a couple of bugs and a request if that's ok.

0. In Skeeball, the screen reads Balls Played, but counts down to 0 instead of up to 9.  It's been a while since I've played actual Skeeball, but is that how it normally goes?  I would think that it should count up to 9 for balls played.
1. In Skeemax, if you take 2nd place, it shows up as 2rd.

My request is, in Skeeball, is it possible to have it configured to have the Free Game blink when the game is not in process?  I didn't add a coin/mech so it's always free.

Thanks!

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
0:  I noticed that.  Should be an easy fix when I get to it.

1:  that’s awesome.

— I can try.  I won’t have time to work on this for a while though.  I kept hoping I would get to it but work has been insane. .

I am currently making plans to build a skeeball this summer I just grabbed the bulk of wood, bwith all my builds I like to start with the system prior to the woodworking.

I'm wondering how do I get this software? Is it available, I would love to run it.

The work you have put in is quite amazing.

Thanks in advance

Send me a private message and I’ll get you a build.

mcdaigle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2022, 10:32:25 am
This development is great, please keep up the good work. I helped a co-worker get this up and running for a machine that they had but did not have all the controls for. I found the forum to be a great resource. It does take some tinkering but I cannot wait to play it when it is reassembled. I recently created a Visual basic app to help assist in restarting the program when you back out, and if it is just running on a Windows box without a mouse/keyboard it is only possible to restart with a power cycle. 

Mostly wanted to give kudos to nipsmg, for all the wonderful effort they have put into this project. I am super interested in the SDK builds and working through the ebook but it appears I need a few post before I can PM!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
it appears I need a few post before I can PM!
You should be good to go now.   :cheers:

Scott

Bumstead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2021, 06:59:50 pm
So, I could really use a graphic designer because my score graphics SUCK... but here's EightShot with sound and some pop-up score indicators.

I can assist you with the graphics. Tell me what you need and I can produce them!! This is a great project. I'd love to get the latest release. I plan on modding a 10' Barrington Billiards Roll and Score Game.