Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [6/29/19]*Alpha w/ Optical Support*-Major League SkeeBall -- SkeeBall Controller  (Read 91109 times)

jimdeprado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 01:48:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need Help Testing Optical Support

If anyone is willing to help me test optical support, even just with their keyboard simulating the pocket hits, please let me know.
I can definitely help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:47:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
How about adding a gutterball playfield with enough clearance on the underside and a backstop-wedge across the top-back of the ramp and rails?

The backstop-wedge would have to be short enough to not block a 10-ring shot and the playfield side would have to be tall enough to stop gutterballs from coming back down the lane.

You could also make the gutterball playfield slightly V-shaped with the hole near the middle to almost double the angle, compared to a flat playfield.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 09:16:36 am by PL1 »

stangx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2024, 08:50:30 am
I can say that once I tell people to not throw your next ball until it hits a hole I have not had any problems with not scoring. It does not take long at all for the ball to get to the ball count (gutter ball sensor). I will try to pull the machine apart and get pics of my full set up using the optical sensors, I-pac, power supply, Arduino for lighting. I am also just using a Zbox mini (40 bucks used) with Windows 10 running the software. I also have everything hooked up to a smart power switch. Computer plugged in to master so when you turn it on it will turn everything else on. Joystick with start and exit button just below where you grab a ball from the return lane.

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:05:56 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
I’m definitely curious about the lighting.  I was toying with adding LED support for game mechanics/enhancements but am now sure how to programmatically interface with them. 

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
*Alpha w/ Optical Support* - Major League SkeeBall -- SkeeBall Controller
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2019, 02:59:19 pm »
Public Alpha Release with Optical Support

For whoever wants to test, here's an Alpha release with optical support:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4nn0ceotqgchye/MLS-OpticalSupport.zip?dl=0

Want to help out?
.NET Developer?
I'd love help from .NET developers if you want to help improve the software.  PM me

Got game ideas?
Let me know!! I'm looking for ideas for new games to add.  Let me know if you have any ideas!

----------------------------------------

The following are new entries in the config.json you should be aware of.

Game Mode
Configures the software for various physical setups
Supported Values:
  • PhysicalSwitches - Stock model S or model H setup where the ball hits multiple switches on the way down the center chute.
  • OpticalWithBallDrain - Setups with optical switches (or physical rockers) where the ball only hits one pocket switch, but hits a common "ball drain" switch in the rail
  • OpticalWithGutterDetect - Setups with optical switches (or physical rockers) where the ball only hits one pocket switch, and there is a single optical or physical switch to detect a "gutter drain"...  no common rail switch is hit by all balls.

Some notes on the game modes.
Physical Switches
Once a ball hits a pocket, no other scores will be recorded until the  ball drain switch (the one in the rail) is hit.

OpticalWithBallDrain
Each time a scoring pocket is hit, a counter in incremented.  Once a ball goes through the ball drain, that counter is decremented.  A "gutterball" will be recorded when a ball goes through the ball drain and the counter is 0. 

OpticalWithGutterDetect
Pockets and gutters scored instantly.

fullscreen & borderless
For the windows version:

fullscreen=true - This is the true fullscreen mode .  Borderless switch has no effect.
fullscreen=false, borderless=true - This is borderless fullscreen mode.. Use this if you're having issues with sound in fullscreen mode. set resolution to OS resolution.
fullscreen=false, borderless=false - windowed mode.

For the DesktopGL version on *nix, OSX (not yet released)
fullscreen=true, borderless=true, turns off hardware mode, effectively setting up borderless fullscreen.

Other Notes
BY default, they keymap is:
A=10
S=20
D=30
F=40
G=50
H=Left 100
J=Right 100
N=ball drain
up=up
down=down
left=left
right=right
info(blue button)=I
select(green button) = Enter
back (yellow button)=ESC

Debug - set Debug = true in the config.json to see the values of all the game variables.  Set to false to disable variable display.  This will be helpful to see the value of the counter in optical mode. -- you'll be looking at the value of 'OpticalScoreCount'

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:36:48 am by nipsmg »

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2020, 03:44:53 pm
Lookin' good!
Using it without changing any configuration settings I noticed the following:

Doesn’t open full screen.
Skeeball Bonus, WackaMole and Riskee- close the application while loading
If you don’t use “N” consistently, it may take a few times for it to register a gutter-ball

I am going to try to get it to work on a Pi3+ and will report back.  (Windows OS).

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Gumoyme:

I’ll look at the crashing this morning..

The ‘N’ is by design.  The game mode is ‘OpitcalWithBallDrain’ by default. Hitting a pocket scores the pocket and increments a counter.  Hitting ‘N’ (Ball Drain) acts as the ball rolling down the chute and clearing the drain.  A gutter all can only be scored when that counter is 0.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Lookin' good!
Using it without changing any configuration settings I noticed the following:

Doesn’t open full screen.
Skeeball Bonus, WackaMole and Riskee- close the application while loading
If you don’t use “N” consistently, it may take a few times for it to register a gutter-ball

I am going to try to get it to work on a Pi3+ and will report back.  (Windows OS).

The link has been updated with an updated version that fixes the issues you identified.  Redownload from the link above.

stangx

• Offline Offline
Amazing. I just played 10 games of original skeeball throwing the balls as fast as I can and all balls registered without flaw. Had to set debug to false as it showed the config on screen over the game's screens. I have people coming over Saturday so will give it a really good test. Gutter and all holes score as they should. Start holidays next week so will get some pics of inside my machine and links to LEDs and power supply I used off Amazon. Note to anyone transforming skeeball machine that has sensors all ready, they can be used rather than buying the ones from Adifruit. I hooked all mine back up with same power supply I was using for the adifruit ones. Very easy now to transform your skeeball machine using this great software. Thanks again nipsmg :cheers:

stangx

• Offline Offline
Riskee had a couple issues, crashed on last ball trying to hit the 100 after hitting the 40 countdown began to hit 100 then explosion sounded twice and the program stopped. (have not been able to duplicate again) Also, you cant hit the 40 too quickly in a row. If you do the 40 will no longer register on any of the remaining balls and game will freeze after your last ball. Have to exit and restart.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Interesting.  Something is messed up there with game state or something.  I’ll look into it.  Riskee is the most technically complicated game —. I probably hosed something when converting it for optical sensors. I will look into it this weekend for sure.

stangx

• Offline Offline
Also, Skricket is counting score and a drain on the first ball thrown, thereby. scoring only 2 balls. Slowing gameplay down in Riskee solved the issues with the 40 not being registered. But it does crash every time if your last ball hits a 40 countdown begins, throw another ball it will crash. Don't throw another ball and the game will end normally.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:57:52 am by stangx »

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Which game mode do you have it in? (check your settings.json).

stangx

• Offline Offline
Which game mode do you have it in? (check your settings.json).
  OpticalWithBallDrain

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Ok thanks.  God knows with those two games specifically I was scratching my head a bit. I’ll get it fixed this week.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
I've fixed skricket but riskee is pretty hosed with the optical changes.  It's been a while since I wrote it, so I'm trying to re-map out how all of the asynchronous stuff runs in what order, and why if I hit 40 when spinner is running it won't spin again and the game will not end.  Very odd.  Will hopefully get it fixed today and back out for testing. Stay tuned...

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
So I'm interested in feedback.

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN if you hit a 40 pocket while the spinner is going?  Should it just score 40 and place a random bomb? That's what i'm thinking here...

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Link updated with newest build. 

Should fix the issues posted by stangx. 

In riskee if you throw a ball while the spinner is running, you score the holes value.  That's it.

stangx

• Offline Offline
So I'm interested in feedback.

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN if you hit a 40 pocket while the spinner is going?  Should it just score 40 and place a random bomb? That's what I'm thinking here...
Yes that is a great idea. kind of a penalty for throwing before it's done picking a box. So I just played skricket and it works as it should. But Riskee will still crash if your last ball hits a 40 and it picks a bomb. If you get extra balls or a score it will reward you with what it landed on. But if you hit a 40 with the last ball and it lands on a bomb the countdown will begin, If you throw anther ball including hitting the 100 the game will crash. Maybe adding 1 ball to the game if you hit the 40 on your last ball and land on a bomb. As it sits now you really don't have another ball to throw during the countdown as it shows 0. So if you don't throw during countdown game ends normally and you can start up next game.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:00:48 pm by stangx »

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Thanks..Needed that scenario.  Will look into it.

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
I set it to open in full screen mode and it opens briefly then minimizes so it's only on the task bar.  When I set fullscreen back to false, it works just fine.

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
Bowling, Skeeball, Riskee, Whack-a-mole - info button doesn’t cycle the instruction menu off screen.  Goes from Instruction to High Score then back to Instruction, I think the third time should go back to the game play, that would be a similar user experience to the games without a high score.  They go from Instruction pop-up then back to game play.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
I set it to open in full screen mode and it opens briefly then minimizes so it's only on the task bar.  When I set fullscreen back to false, it works just fine.

Is borderless set to true or false?  Try switching that toggle and let me know what happens.  I have not been having issues with fullscreen mode.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Bowling, Skeeball, Riskee, Whack-a-mole - info button doesn’t cycle the instruction menu off screen.  Goes from Instruction to High Score then back to Instruction, I think the third time should go back to the game play, that would be a similar user experience to the games without a high score.  They go from Instruction pop-up then back to game play.

I *think* this is by design, (hit "back/esc" to close the popup), but I will review.  Thanks for the reports!

stangx

• Offline Offline
Here are some pics of my setup. You can see the bracket inside the hole that houses the optical sensor. (every hole the same) Close up Sensor bracket pic is pointed down inside ball return lane for the gutter ball count. Arduino for lighting, ( still want to do more with the lighting) Pic of power supply I am using to power optical sensors hooked up to Ipac II. Joystick, Start(enter), exit button on side and volume control Pic. Also LED black light to make the playfield pop. Also gave the balls a coat of fluorescent paint and clear coat to give it a lava effect under black light. Also a pic of a smart controller. Hook computer to master and everything else will power on and off with the computer. I also added skeeball exe to windows startup so it will auto boot into the skeeball games menu when you power it up.

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
I downloaded the most recent version and when I set fullscreen to true, with or without borderless set to true, it minimizes itself.  FullScreen set to false works fine.  I am on Windows 10.

I installed Windows IOT on a Pie B (B+ isn't supported fyi), but it wasn't a simple process to install the app (need visual studio etc).  I gave up and bought a Mini PC stick with Windows pre-installed I am going to try.

Great suggestion for master switch!

If you want to set it to open when the computer is booted:

To add an app to Startup:
1.   With the app file location open, press the Windows logo key  + R, type shell:startup, then select OK. This opens the Startupfolder.
2.   Create a shortcut to the app.  Copy and paste the app shortcut to the Startup folder.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Grumpyme2:  I have ABSOLUTELY no idea why this would be happening, as I have not seen this behavior on 10-15 machines that I have tested this on.  This may be a driver specific or machine specific thing, unsure.  I can have you try the DesktopGL version and see if that version works for you, but I've had a lot of toruble with that version playing sound while in fullscreen mode.  I'll put a link here sometime today so you can try that version.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Grumpyme:  Below is a link to the DesktopGL build of the optical build of Major League Skeeball.  This is the build that is cross-platform and should run on monogame on linux as compiled.

Note: I generally recommend that people do not run this build on windows-- the Windows build uses DirectX and is generally more compatible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryh8buo4b6t5nkq/MLS-OPTICAL-DesktopGL.zip?dl=0

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
I got it all working on a PC stick running Windows 10.  Didn’t have the issue with it minimizing in Full screen mode. Full screen mode didn’t have sound so I turned that off and boarders off and adjusted the size and it works great!  Only strange thing is if I have it running and turn off the PC, when it boots back up, no sound!  Also Cliff Hanger doesn’t work.  If I exit and launch the app again, it works normally.  Hoping to get all the holes wired up tomorrow.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Cliffhanger doesn’t work... at all?!
Or in some specific circumstance?

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
I Should have been more specific.  After powering off (with app open)and back on, sound and CliffHanger doesn’t work.  If I close the app and re-open, it works normally.

MotoGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2022, 01:14:58 pm
great looking program!

I was starting to write my own program in Python for a RPi3/4 and saw this thread so maybe not...
Do you have to use the skeeball controller with a pc?  or can you use a Raspberry Pi and its GPIO?

MotoGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2022, 01:14:58 pm
I’m definitely curious about the lighting.  I was toying with adding LED support for game mechanics/enhancements but am now sure how to programmatically interface with them.

It would depend if you wanted Dumb RGB or controllable Pixels.
You could interface with an Arduino and use one of Pixel libraries out there like  fastled.io like this tutorial HERE

or use Adafruit's Neopixel Library Neopixel in git hub

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
I want to thank everyone on this thread.  This is awesome!  I still need to wire up my controls and ball drain, but everything is working great, the holes are working (I used Whisker switches).  I am using a PC stick running Windows 10.
1 suggestion is to make Skricket a bit easier to tell who’s turn it is.  Zap is a hoot with 4 players!

Now I need to figure out how to sell my Model S internals.

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
I see you have this in the .config, what key does it map to?  "Pause: 80", what do you need it for?

Also, I assume these are timeout durations, are they minutes?  If I wanted to not have the application not close for 24 hours, would I set the Menu screen to 1440?  What would be the affect of changing them all to 1440?

"InactivityTimeouts": {
    "MenuScreen": 60,
    "GameScreen": 1024,
    "AttractModeScreen": 25,
    "TitleScreen": 15,
    "ExitConfirm":  15

Thanks!

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
I noticed in the high score config there is CliffHanger (Stranger in the Alps), Zap and X10.  At the end of these games, there isn't a prompt to enter initials.
Also, when scrolling through the menu, until you scroll through it multiple times, the next icon doesn't match the next game that comes up, and it seems to skip some for a while (X10, whack a mole, for example).

Gumpyme2

• Offline Offline
Some ideas:
For Zap, the high score could be a count of wins by 3 letter initial.  If you win, you enter your initials, then that increments a counter for those initials.

For X10, could be least number of throws.

I would like to see the high score list be displayed at the end of every game, even if you didn’t make the list.  That way, everyone gets to see #1 score in classic Skeeball of 1000000 by “Dad Rules” (typed it into configuration file, lol!)

Since I no longer have or need a ball release, I’d love to see another button option that plays the classic Skeeball sound then the sound of balls being being released.  I want to wire it up to the quarter button.  (Searched for sound but couldn’t find it).

Sorry for string messages, loving this.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
I see you have this in the .config, what key does it map to?  "Pause: 80", what do you need it for?

Also, I assume these are timeout durations, are they minutes?  If I wanted to not have the application not close for 24 hours, would I set the Menu screen to 1440?  What would be the affect of changing them all to 1440?

"InactivityTimeouts": {
    "MenuScreen": 60,
    "GameScreen": 1024,
    "AttractModeScreen": 25,
    "TitleScreen": 15,
    "ExitConfirm":  15

Thanks!

so.. Pause is intersting.. Apparently I was toying with adding pause functionality..  Hitting Pause will set the backend gamestatus to "Paused", and only one game (Skricket) even knows about it.  I wouldn't wire up a button for that, it cooul have unintended consequences.

The timeouts denote how many seconds each screen will be shown before something happens:
- Menu screen -- it'll wait for 60 seconds of inactivity before dumping to the title screen
- Game Screen -- If you're in a game and haven't started it, it'll stay in that game fore 1024 seconds of inactivity before dumping you back to the menu screen.
- Attract Mode Screen -- The amount of time it'll sit on a single game when in attract mode and cycling through them
- Title screen -- It'll wait 15 seconds at the title screen before kicking into attract mode.
-- ExitConfirm.  When you hit "back" to fully exit the game, it'll give you a confirmation screen where you have to click "select" or "green button" to actually exit.  If you sit there for 15 seconds, it'll dump you back to the title screen.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Some ideas:
For Zap, the high score could be a count of wins by 3 letter initial.  If you win, you enter your initials, then that increments a counter for those initials.

For X10, could be least number of throws.

I would like to see the high score list be displayed at the end of every game, even if you didn’t make the list.  That way, everyone gets to see #1 score in classic Skeeball of 1000000 by “Dad Rules” (typed it into configuration file, lol!)

Since I no longer have or need a ball release, I’d love to see another button option that plays the classic Skeeball sound then the sound of balls being being released.  I want to wire it up to the quarter button.  (Searched for sound but couldn’t find it).

Sorry for string messages, loving this.

1 suggestion is to make Skricket a bit easier to tell who’s turn it is. 

When it ocmes to high scores, 310, zap, skricket, and cliffhanger don't have high scores.   The reason?  There's no high score in these games.  They all are played in such a way that you are trying to reach a goal.  I suppose I could record game length, or record time to goal or something, but there's no real good "high score" to record.  It was suggested for Cliffhanger that I record #of balls and time and weight that somehow into a calculated score.  I'll look into that.

For skricket -- yeah I changed the colors of the "throws left" indicator to the color of the player, but I fully agree with this suggestion.  I am FAR FROM a graphic designer and created all of these screens in Photoshop with some minimal skills.  If anyone knows anyone who does UI/Graphic design who wouldn't mind making some suggestions I am totally open to any of them!!

I definitely think showing high scores at the end of each game where there are high scores is an interesting idea.  I will definitely look into it.

stangx

• Offline Offline
Just throwing it out there..... An optional credit button would be awesome. Giving all game arcade mode or Freeplay choice in the config file. Would love the ability to use my coin slot for credits or just push of a button for those without a coin door.