Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Feedback Requested on Cabinet Design  (Read 775 times)

odog8669

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Feedback Requested on Cabinet Design
« on: January 11, 2018, 04:58:35 pm »
Hello,

I have been playing around with some ideas for an arcade cabinet build, and was hoping I could get some feedback from those of you that have actually done this before I get started.  I attached a couple pictures of my initial design thoughts.  Rather than a standard style arcade cabinet, I was trying to come up with something in the style of a mid century woodrail/wedgehead pinball or an early gun game.  Some of the things I am looking for feedback on are:

Will the flat control panel be an issue or uncomfortable to use?
Is the trackball too far from the front edge of the control panel?
Will having the monitor that high up and perpendicular to the control panel be uncomfortable?
The monitor I have to use is a 21" flat panel 4:3 LCD.  My initial thought for the "Backglass" is to sandwich a printed translite (what is show in the pictures is just a design I have been playing around with) between two sheets of thin glass and mount the monitor (with the bezel removed) directly behind it.  Any thoughts on how this will look?
I am planning to run both horizontal and vertical games.  With a 21" monitor, should I consider adding in some kind of rotation capability for the vertical games so they don't look too small?

Thanks in advance for taking a look, any thoughts or feedback anyone has would be welcomed.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
Re: Feedback Requested on Cabinet Design
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:04:54 pm »
Control panel is all wrong. Scratch the rotating monitor idea. Keep it simple. Use a crt. Attach a picture to the post.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroPie all the way!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 09:48:47 am »
Looks really nice imo. 21" LCD is great, CRT definitely not needed. Vertical games on a 20" look fine to me. But a slight slope in the control panel would be a good idea.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:33:42 am »
As long as youíre staying 4:3, you should be fine. Iím a big fan of the older EM stuff, so Iíll watch with interest. But yes, add a slope to the control panel.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

odog8669

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 05:14:37 pm »
Thanks guys.  So which do you think looks better, sloping the whole top, or starting the slope after the monitor mount?

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:01:02 pm »
I like the look of this thing. Nice vintage feel.

I'd slope the entire control panel. I'd imagine that would be a bit easier to build if you didn't have to seam 2 pieces together.

The only other thing you might consider is the legs of the machine. Looks like your feet might bump into the legs a little. Especially with 2 players.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:38:48 pm »
The first design would be easier, but I like the look of the second one.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

odog8669

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 09:01:27 am »
Thanks guys.  I will let you know how I make out.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31