Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How does an LCD monitor work (with groovymame)  (Read 1940 times)

jimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
How does an LCD monitor work (with groovymame)
« on: January 10, 2018, 07:29:20 pm »

What does a typical (fast computer lcd monitor) do with the incoming vga signal ?

I'm hoping/assuming it lights up the pixels as fast as it can following the input signal. So the lag is of the order 7ms behind a crt.

????
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: How does an LCD monitor work (with groovymame)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:54:46 pm »
An LCD monitor uses a scaler to convert everything it's fed with to the panel's native resolution. This step takes time. Additionaly, if you fed it with an analog signal (VGA), it will need to do analog to digital conversion. That's more than 7ms.

The optimal situation of course is to always use the LCD's native resolution through a digital output. I believe that modern G-Sync/Free-Sync monitors should be able to start lighting the pixels as soon as the information is received without any buffering /processing.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi