Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ultracade vs global arcade classics  (Read 1668 times)

Rexer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2018, 08:18:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
ultracade vs global arcade classics
« on: January 10, 2018, 10:49:26 am »
Hi and sorry that my first post is asking for help, especially as its ultracade related.

I have read lots of posts on the subject but could not find an answer.

Now, i know a little about the joshua OS and that it is very limited in what chipsets it supports but my question is related to a hard drive i have found for sale.

My machine is a global arcade classics and although i love it, it is really limited in games that i actually like playing so i went on the hunt to add more games without going down the mame route.

so i found an ultracade hard drive that has pretty much all the games that were available and the seller has assured me that he has tested it in another ultracade machine and it runs fine on that.

Im not sure what motherboard was in the ultracade machine he tested it with but i know that its running version 3.91.3, im pretty sure that version will work with the older ultracade motherboards but this is where the confusion lies. My machine is running version 3.92.1 which is a later version so im wondering if the support for my later motherboard will be on there.

My gut feeling is that it wont work but is it worth a punt to see if it does. I can find no other thread where this has been attempted so i could alway be the first to try it and at least if it doesnt work i can post about it to save someone else

Anyway, im sure Mr Foley will pop along and give me some info which would be nice but is there anyone else that knows?

I know a while ago on here there was a guy trying to get in to the josua OS to see what was inside but his posts stopped as far as i could tell

Rex

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: ultracade vs global arcade classics
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 02:44:23 pm »
The sheer fact that we aren't all trading Ultracade hard disk images around tells me that it has security that hasn't been cracked and that you can't just drop the hard drive into a different computer and have it work.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Rexer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2018, 08:18:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:03:57 pm »
Yeah that's what i was reading from 10 year old posts but apparently this drive worked in another machine, my question was really just about what way the compatibility goes, if it goes at all. Thanks for the reply though dude   

As far as i have read even global vr don't support the machines now and they have sold it all off....i could be wrong though

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 05:46:42 pm »
Yeah that's what i was reading from 10 year old posts but apparently this drive worked in another machine, my question was really just about what way the compatibility goes, if it goes at all. Thanks for the reply though dude   

As far as i have read even global vr don't support the machines now and they have sold it all off....i could be wrong though

The computer you have is quite a bit newer, it is likely that the old operating system won't have the proper drivers for it, even if security wasn't an issue.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.