Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: looking for a monitor that will fit in bartop  (Read 4046 times)

TeutonicDarkness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2019, 10:54:16 pm
looking for a monitor that will fit in bartop
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:54:11 pm »
Hello,

First of all I have haven't been on here in ages so I apologize if I posted in wrong section (moderators feel free to move).
Due to my recent layoff from a 40+ something hour job back in October I have had plenty of time on my hands to play.
I have began to build my 1st Bartop Arcade I would say I am 3/4 the way done. I am stumped as what to use as a monitor
as the size needs to be 9 1/2 inches X 9 1/2 inches It can be a little smaller but this is as big of a screen as it can accommodate.
After looking around I am stumped as I can't seem to find anything that will fit! :angry:
I know somebody has to have been down this road before so any suggestion?
(Also I will try to upload some pics in a day or so)

Thanks

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: looking for a monitor that will fit in bartop
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:57:55 am »
After looking around I am stumped as I can't seem to find anything that will fit! :angry:

this is why we choose the monitor first and build around it.

also...  :dunno maybe...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/12-Inch-HDMI-BNC-AV-VGA-Input-4-3-16-9-TFT-LCD-Monitor-Computer-Display-Screen/322988313936?hash=item4b339a8d50:g:~e4AAOSwZA1aUhhY

not sure exactly the dimentions of the panel are but it could be small enough.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:44:55 pm »

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/12-Inch-HDMI-BNC-AV-VGA-Input-4-3-16-9-TFT-LCD-Monitor-Computer-Display-Screen/322988313936?hash=item4b339a8d50:g:~e4AAOSwZA1aUhhY

I'd be careful on the one linked -- they normally sell for around $75 - $100 and every one that is around that $15 price is a brand new account with no feedback and it is the only product listed for sale by that account -- So buyer Beware !!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:53:03 pm by JDFan »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 04:05:43 pm »
I'd be careful on the one linked -- they normally sell for around $75 - $100 and every one that is around that $15 price is a brand new account with no feedback and it is the only product listed for sale by that account -- So buyer Beware !!

oh yeah for sure. I just picked one out at random from the results.

TeutonicDarkness

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 11:59:01 pm »

Well it is my first build  :dunno
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:08:32 am by TeutonicDarkness »

TeutonicDarkness

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:18:34 am »
  I would really like a laptop/ netbook option. I really wanted this build to be PC based and a Already assembled PC
 would simplify things I just may have to remove and slightly relocate display.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 04:50:20 am »
  I would really like a laptop/ netbook option. I really wanted this build to be PC based and a Already assembled PC
 would simplify things I just may have to remove and slightly relocate display.

MDF is cheap enough that the best option might be to just start over --- Get the monitor and PC/Laptop you want to use first and then design the case with the knowledge of how much room you need to fit both inside the unit - that way you know you will have the space needed - Looking at the build you have right now - you are going to have a hard time finding any laptop/pc mobo that will fit inside and still have room for the buttons/joystick and monitor. Much cheaper to source a cheap monitor and PC/laptop and then rebuild a new MDF build around them than to try nd find a specific Laptop/monitor setup that will fit the build you already started. 

IF you really want to use what you have so far - you might be able to fit an RPI3 and 7" - 9" lcd - but from the pic you posted even that might be hard to fit in there. IF it were me I'd probably start over and get the monitor and laptop/PC that I was actually wanting to use and then build around their dimensions since it's only a few $ worth of MDF - and the work you already put in is not a waste since practice never hurts !
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:03:25 am by JDFan »

TeutonicDarkness

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 06:52:52 am »
 I started this project and I had a goal of a projected size in mind.  I may get criticism or abandonment/ no help at all ...
 but I had to freelance most of this because I could find no 1 player bartop plans that met my criteria. I'm going to see this
through no matter how long it may take I do not give up easily!!! :)
So I would only hope out of all the people passing by this thread...
somebody who has built a similar project can pull out a tape measure and provide a reference to a product
that will meet meet criteria ::)

I will try and post pictures of my progress
( should I start another thread elsewhere of my progress with pictures ?)
I will have to do a little wood filling but I plan on painting soon!

Thanks,

Teutonic Darkness   

TeutonicDarkness

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 07:07:55 am »
MDF is cheap enough that the best option might be to just start over --- Get the monitor and PC/Laptop you want to use first and then design the case with the knowledge of how much room you need to fit both inside the unit - that way you know you will have the space needed - Looking at the build you have right now - you are going to have a hard time finding any laptop/pc mobo that will fit inside and still have room for the buttons/joystick and monitor. Much cheaper to source a cheap monitor and PC/laptop and then rebuild a new MDF build around them than to try nd find a specific Laptop/monitor setup that will fit the build you already started. 

IF you really want to use what you have so far - you might be able to fit an RPI3 and 7" - 9" lcd - but from the pic you posted even that might be hard to fit in there. IF it were me I'd probably start over and get the monitor and laptop/PC that I was actually wanting to use and then build around their dimensions since it's only a few $ worth of MDF - and the work you already put in is not a waste since practice never hurts !

Actually I could fit several RPI3's in there but that is  a separate build and another thread and the joysticks/push buttons buttons fit quite
fine. I will post more pictures soon  ;)

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 10:44:05 am »
I started this project and I had a goal of a projected size in mind.  I may get criticism or abandonment/ no help at all ...
 but I had to freelance most of this because I could find no 1 player bartop plans that met my criteria. I'm going to see this
through no matter how long it may take I do not give up easily!!! :)
So I would only hope out of all the people passing by this thread...
somebody who has built a similar project can pull out a tape measure and provide a reference to a product
that will meet meet criteria ::)

I will try and post pictures of my progress
( should I start another thread elsewhere of my progress with pictures ?)
I will have to do a little wood filling but I plan on painting soon!

Thanks,

Teutonic Darkness

That's fine and I don't think anyone here would criticize/abandon helping but like I mentioned it might wind up cheaper starting over and designing around the parts you decide to use - If you really want it that size then that's fine and it will just take searching to find parts that can fit inside and it might wind up costing more since you are limited to products that will fit the dimensions, connector type - rather than being able to source less expensive parts that might not fit.

What games do you plan on playing (ie. vertical or horizontal) - 4:3 layout or 16:9 widescreen ?

Are you using a PC inside and what connector types does it have ? ( will need a monitor that has VGA or DVI input in most cases)

Or using a RPi3 ? ( would need a monitor with HDMI or AV inputs )

Or a laptop display ? ( would need a driver board if not using the entire laptop )

Do you plan on running the monitor on 5V, 12V, or a laptop monitor that has it's own PSU/battery pack ? Each of those have different requirements and some monitors will only fit some of the designs ( ie. a portable DVD slave screen could easily be used and are fairly cheap to source but only accept AV input, which would work with a RPI3 but would need a fairly expensive/bulky converter for PC usage, a Computer monitor may only have VGA or DVI connectors so will need the PC to have the proper output for that monitor input or again adding a converter which requires more space.

Once you know what parts you need it will be much easier for us to suggest parts that fit the need but until then it is hard to provide relevant info without knowing a bit more of what you are wanting to build.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:45:55 am by JDFan »

TeutonicDarkness

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 07:37:32 pm »

That's fine and I don't think anyone here would criticize/abandon helping but like I mentioned it might wind up cheaper starting over and designing around the parts you decide to use - If you really want it that size then that's fine and it will just take searching to find parts that can fit inside and it might wind up costing more since you are limited to products that will fit the dimensions, connector type - rather than being able to source less expensive parts that might not fit.

What games do you plan on playing (ie. vertical or horizontal) - 4:3 layout or 16:9 widescreen ?

Are you using a PC inside and what connector types does it have ? ( will need a monitor that has VGA or DVI input in most cases)

Or using a RPi3 ? ( would need a monitor with HDMI or AV inputs )

Or a laptop display ? ( would need a driver board if not using the entire laptop )

Do you plan on running the monitor on 5V, 12V, or a laptop monitor that has it's own PSU/battery pack ? Each of those have different requirements and some monitors will only fit some of the designs ( ie. a portable DVD slave screen could easily be used and are fairly cheap to source but only accept AV input, which would work with a RPI3 but would need a fairly expensive/bulky converter for PC usage, a Computer monitor may only have VGA or DVI connectors so will need the PC to have the proper output for that monitor input or again adding a converter which requires more space.

Once you know what parts you need it will be much easier for us to suggest parts that fit the need but until then it is hard to provide relevant info without knowing a bit more of what you are wanting to build.

Ok where to start...
Ok I would love to use a 4.3 aspect but that will be determined by the laptop/netbook etc that I end up using.
If I use the existing monitor I wont need an additional one just have to dissasemble/relocate.

NO..NO..NO
No Rasberry Pi here I have a separate project that will use one based on a ICade. There are still a few things that RPI's cant
do so this is why I am making my 1st primary build based on a PC.

One again the voltage is not limiting factor will use laptop/netbook power supply/ batteries.

I will say this once again I am simply looking for a laptop/ netbook that meets my dimesnsion
everything else is covered

TeutonicDarkness

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 08:19:28 pm »
 I think I have found something that will work: Dell Venue 10 PRO 5055
I just snagged one off of ebay. I will report my findings when it arrives.

Jeez I don't know why I am even wasting my time on here...
Years ago when I was active on here people actually helped  each other out.
So am I really to believe that out of all the people who have built bartops nobody has used a
screen this size? seriously :dunno

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 08:59:11 pm »
I think I have found something that will work: Dell Venue 10 PRO 5055
I just snagged one off of ebay. I will report my findings when it arrives.

Jeez I don't know why I am even wasting my time on here...
Years ago when I was active on here people actually helped  each other out.
So am I really to believe that out of all the people who have built bartops nobody has used a
screen this size? seriously :dunno

Don't think it is going to fit since the dimensions are stated as :
( Source : https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Venue-10-Pro-5055-Convertible-Review.141653.0.html )

Size
height x width x depth ( 0.39 x 10.34 x 6.92 in )
-- And 10.34" is bigger than the 9.5 x 9.5 inches you said you have in the system you built  - which could be why no one has suggested it ! - That and the fact your original post only mentioned a monitor not a full system :dunno
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:04:42 pm by JDFan »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 09:56:49 pm »
this would likely be de-cased anyways. at least I would anyway. who needs 3 inches of plastic?  :dunno

TeutonicDarkness

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 10:49:32 pm »
this would likely be de-cased anyways. at least I would anyway. who needs 3 inches of plastic?  :dunno

Exactly my though and if I have to dig out the router a bit that is fine too!

and you know what @ JDFan
you have done nothing but give me grief throughout this entire thread.
If you can't provide any useful information quite being a troll  :angry:
so kindly move along now  :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:05 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 07:21:16 am »
You might want to reread JDFan's posts.
He has been trying to help you. If you don't like his advice don't use it. Don't give him crap for trying to help you.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 08:31:58 am »
You might want to reread JDFan's posts.
He has been trying to help you. If you don't like his advice don't use it. Don't give him crap for trying to help you.

Exactly. JDFan is probably one of the most helpful guys on the site. Not sure why this guy is slinging mud at him.

I ---smurfing--- hate when people come on here and get all pissed off because they assume we have all the answers to their questions. If no one posts in your thread, it’s because they don’t know the answer to your question. It’s not because we’re trying to be big fat meanies. JDFan was being more than helpful and honest and you’re going to treat him like that? Good luck with your build.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 10:39:05 am »

Exactly my though and if I have to dig out the router a bit that is fine too!

and you know what @ JDFan
you have done nothing but give me grief throughout this entire thread.
If you can't provide any useful information quite being a troll  :angry:
so kindly move along now  :)
No problem - Was just trying to let you know that we can't really help unless you provide information - IF you read your first post the only thing you ask is :
I have began to build my 1st Bartop Arcade I would say I am 3/4 the way done. I am stumped as what to use as a monitor
as the size needs to be 9 1/2 inches X 9 1/2 inches It can be a little smaller but this is as big of a screen as it can accommodate.
After looking around I am stumped as I can't seem to find anything that will fit!

So you ask about a monitor that is around 9.5" - No details on what type of connection is needed - no details on what system is in place for it to connect to - so the answers you get are pretty much telling you that is why you need to plan the build before cutting the wood - then you get a link to a monitor that might work but As I mention in my next post the one linked is a scam seller designed to get your personal info and never ship a product so I mention that you should be Wary of ordering from a listing selling a $75 - $100 product for $11 !

THen you reply with a few pics of the build with a ruler at an angle that is hard to tell the exact dimensions from and mention :
 would simplify things

First time you mention wanting a prebuilt full system not just a monitor that will fit - So how were we supposed to know to suggest a $100 - $200 netbook or similar when all you originally wanted was a Monitor that would fit your 9.5" space. ( Are we supposed to read your mind and realize you don't have any of the build parts yet and do not have everything in place except the monitor - Guess that explains why you did not give info on what connector type you need on the monitor since you don't have the parts yet - but we don't know that so AGAIN hard to provide help without info.

At which Point I suggested it might be better and much cheaper in the long run to just scrap what you have ( A few $ worth of MDF) and get the parts together and then start building rather than having to try and source parts to fit.

You then reply that you don't want to do that as you had a specific size in mind for the build but still provide no info on what you already have and what you still do not have - so we are still left not knowing what type of budget for parts you have or what exactly you are looking for (Again we can't read your mind so can't help without INFO ! )

At which point 2 days into the thread you finally start to provide a small amount of info saying you don't want to use a pi and that you would like a 4:3 or 16:9 monitor but that will depend on which Laptop/netbook you find ( Again Are we suggesting monitors still or should we be suggesting full systems including a monitor ? )

Then you post you have found something to use and when I notice the dimensions are about an Inch over what you had mentioned needing so may not be useable - you decide I'm trolling ( Again we aren't mind readers and can only go byt the limited info you are providing so perhaps the help you are getting is not useful because the info you are providing is not useful ! )

Good luck with your build and hopefully it will all work out and you are able to fit everything into the build you have started without spending excessively just because you want to stick with it no matter what.