Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.  (Read 158219 times)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2018, 10:40:00 am »
This is a great set of documentation for making a template.  As a woodworker always looking to improve I'm really enjoying your build thread.  I wish I would have seen this before I mounted my trackball.

krangbrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 05:36:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2018, 12:04:08 pm »
Great job with the template! I'll be referencing this method for future builds.  :)

My plan is to recess it into the control panel and sand it all smooth and cover it with the artwork.  Hopefully none of it will imprint/show through the overlay - that's the plan anyway..

I always wondered if the plate showed through on other CPs. Your plate looks like it's a perfect fit so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

My current task is to determine how to align the CP overlay to the panel after all the holes are drilled.. I haven't come up with a good way to align it since all of my 'alignment points'  will be drilled out..  If that makes sense...

Thinking out loud, I wonder if you could pre-drill one or two button holes on the CPO to use as alignment points. Might not be accurate enough...

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2018, 12:59:48 pm »
My current task is to determine how to align the CP overlay to the panel after all the holes are drilled.. I haven't come up with a good way to align it since all of my 'alignment points'  will be drilled out..

I would try cutting the artwork to size and then apply it.

- punch a small hole through the middle of each 'alignment point'

- flip the artwork over so that the backside is up

- flip the CP over so that the backside is up

- align the CP and the artwork using the holes as a guide

- use weak double tape or clamps to make sure that CP and artwork stay in place

- use a sharp knife to cut along the edges of the CP

- remove the double tape/clamps

- flip CP and artwork over

- apply artwork

If you can't align CP and artwork properly because one or more holes in the CP are mayhaps a bit off, whip out a ruler, measure where each hole is and adjust your artwork accordingly before having it printed again.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2018, 06:44:51 pm »
    Interesting, and might work, Sewing tape (W/mart) is like a weak 2 sided  scotch tape kinda thing....Personally, I think Jenn would scan that, stitch scans, and print one off on a plot cut, check and move holes in 5 pixel increments in P/shop convert into AI and run another plot test until right. Ultimatly using the edges of the printed art (covered in transfer tape) as the template in the end.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:46:33 pm by jennifer »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2018, 07:54:43 am »
Thanks wp34, krangbrain, yamatetsu and jennifer, 

So far I've used thumbtacks/pushpins to get the overlay lined up.  They all go through the center points where I will be drilling.  My artwork has a ring that goes around the trackball that is maybe 1/4" wide...  So if its off even a 1/16" - its going to bother me!

I might have a clever/simple solution that I need to test to be sure..

Some of it is a couple of ideas I had and some based on your ideas..  and I must have been thinking about it in my sleep..  because it seems a bit simpler now. 
Hopefully I'll get it done in the next couple of days and put together some pics.
stay tuned.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:03:57 am by bperkins01 »
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2018, 02:20:46 pm »
  A bright light will shine through the vinyl if that helps any :-\.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2018, 11:16:49 pm »
I always wondered if the plate showed through on other CPs. Your plate looks like it's a perfect fit so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

I would definitely add some bondo or spackle around the edge of the plate or it will probably shoe though the art.  Unless the art is printed on very think material and even then I wouldn’t risk it.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2018, 09:03:11 am »
My mounting plate required a little fitting and adjusting.  Getting the shape of the recess is relatively simple with the template method above. Getting the depth of the recess to cooperate is a little trickier.  Mine was about a sheet of paper not deep enough.  If you are not sure - then better to make it 2 sheets too deep and shim it from behind than try to remove more material once the template is removed.  Making the depth a little deeper requires a fair amount of hand work with the router and chisels.   

My CP will have the plate covered.  Another thing I should have done first is sand the plate smooth.  You can see the studs had dimples on the surface.  Sand the backside that makes contact smooth too.  Overall this plate was made to very high tolerances - I'm quite happy with it..  Had I sanded it first - my first pass at the recess would have been a bit closer.   All that said - you will still feel the slightest transition from the wood to the plate.  So I'll be skimming in some filler to ease that and hopefully prevent any imprinting from behind.

My cabinet has a bit of a theme - Lakeside Arcade.  The CP specifically draws from my largest project to date - The Miss Sheri Lynn.  Colors and some design thoughts are from the boat.  I also didn't want the CP to be overly busy.  Final location for the entire machine is at the lake house. 
My layout has the trackball centered in the white circle.  The white boarder carries over from the deck design of the 40's runabouts.  Keeping the spacing right has been top of mind.. But I think I have it figured out. 

I used thumbtacks to pin the overlay in place before the trackball mount was routed out.  More tacks = less ability for the overlay to change position.  Every drill point is marked by the thumbtack hole and I can reset the overlay to the exact position.

Next step - I drilled four holes on each side.  They are the furthest apart on either side of the CP.

Next I pinned the overlay down using all of the thumbtack holes so that it was back in its EXACT location.  While there, I carefully cut the six openings on the left and used buttons as clamps to hold the overlay in place.  All six of them together are doing the same work as the tacks - allowing me to position the overlay is the exact same location repeatably.  When the time comes - I can stick the overlay down from right to left - removing my buttons/clamps as I go..  No shifting!

Remainder of the holes drilled.  Next a skim of filler, sealer coat and some paint for the edges and bottom.  If all goes well it will be a wiring weekend!
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2018, 09:09:06 am »
Wow that boat is amazing.   :cheers:

Reminds me a little of the boats in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2018, 09:35:34 pm »
Small update:

Got the overlay on and started on button holes..

I skimmed on some bondo around the trackball plate.  Just a few slight variances as expected. Also added a coat of sealer to fill the grain.

Next I painted the panel black - and discovered that the studs that hold the mounting plate hit the Control Panel box when it closes... ooops...

So I popped the mounting plate out, counter sunk the holes, cut the studs and put it back.

which of course meant I had to reskim the joint with Bondo..  Very little time lost on the redo however.  No need to repaint - its getting the overlay.

Even with my button hole alignment system - I still wanted to check that the alignment of the boarder line was even with the top edge of my panel.  Here is my handy CP overlay alignment gauge (patent pending)..  Check along the length of the overlay.  I got that last little fidgety check in to keep the line even.  Using the buttons as clamps worked well here. 

After that - I stuck the CP overlay down from right to left.  Trimmed the edges and trackball opening.

This is what I was going for (for some reason.. don't know why)  I wanted a white ring around the ball.  I got it to within the width of a pin of variance.  I'll take it.

Trimming the remaining holes with an Exacto knife was going slow and sloppy.. My trim router and a spiral bit with bearing did the job.  Cut a rough opening and clean up with the router.  If you have the tools - this is simple and clean.  I cleaned the bit with acetone after every couple of holes.  The adhesive gummed it up a bit.

No doubt this CP design is not for everyone - its not very 'arcade like'.  It will fit in at the lake house and it is uncluttered - which I like.

(more to come..)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:38:25 pm by bperkins01 »

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2018, 10:07:42 pm »
Looks great.  Well done. 

Nice boat!!
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2018, 01:08:44 am »
Get a amazon echo 40$ and a WiFi power strip 30$. Then set your pc to power on after failure in the bios. Plug the cabinet into that and now you will can turn it on with voice command or use an app on your phone. No pressing a button to turn it on. I have 4 arcade machines hooked to a smart strip that plugs into the WiFi strip. Really handy if you forget to turn it off after your in bed. Grab your phone and shut it off or on from anywhere you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:25:27 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2018, 07:37:16 am »
Get a amazon echo

No thanks. The government already has enough ways it violates my privacy. They already record every phone call, and can peruse my texts and emails whenever they feel like it. I don't need a live mic in my home.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2018, 09:09:13 am »
FINALLY!  got to start wiring. 
All my buttons and controls in place.

Did a check to make sure the CP will fit with everything installed..  Good thing - I had to reposition the IO card so that the power and USB connector wouldn't jam up on the back of the box.

Got through connecting all of the ground wires and continuity testing..  Went better than expected..  Everything worked on the first try.
Next I made a cheat note so that I wouldn't get confused on the button wiring.  Which was writing down the layout and flipping it..

Here I got started wiring -

After this -
Got all the buttons wired up - cut each to length and re-terminated them...  and then realized I should have mirrored the numbers, not flipped them..
grrrrrrr..  re-wired 8 buttons  - rookie mistake..
Pictures to follow.

Player 2 side gets wired tonight..

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:25:27 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2018, 10:03:29 am »
You are coming down the home stretch now. :cheers:

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2022, 10:33:09 pm
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2018, 01:56:19 pm »
Following this project.

Love how it is going.  ;)

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2018, 09:01:54 am »
Here are the tools I've been (mostly) using for the wiring.  Cutters, two types of wire strippers, crimping tool, small torch for heat shrink tubing and most important - tester for continuity.   I made a building stand for the CP so I could flip it, wire, etc..  w/o having it all bouncing around on the bench.  It is a piece of scrap particle board from a prior project, two scrap 2x4's carpeted to support the CP making room for the joysticks and buttons.

Everything pretty much comes back to the Ultimate I/O card.  Using the continuity tester is simple.  Set it to beep when a completed circuit is detected.  Clip one lead to your negative terminal and then push a button while checking its connection on the connector at the card.  There is just enough exposed to do this..  Getting all of them tested now is worth the effort.  You will likely have a bad crimp or connection someplace.  Find them as you make them.

For some reason I want to make sure the CP is modular enough to take apart.  I *could* make interchangeable panels the way I have this all set up..  Pop one off and put a new one on in short order..  That said - I used connectors on the CP box for the USB and the 7 wires I need to get in/out of the CP.  The connector has really small solder points..  My crappy 25 year old Radio Shack soldering iron is not the right one for this..  but I think I have good connections inside the box.

My coin door will work with quarters - maybe someday I'll find tokens and adjust to them.  The coin 'buttons' are on the bottom of the CP box.  One on each side.  The plan is to make them 'switchable' in the event I need to disable children from going crazy  :P

Coin button inside the CP Box.

Here is where I am at this point.. Sticks and buttons all wired up and tested.  I even connected the Servostick USB board to my laptop and changed the sticks from 4 way to 8 way about 10 times for fun.

There are a few more wires to connect and some cable management tasks left inside.   

Final big step - making the connector from the cabinet to the CP box. 

(more to come..)

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2018, 08:41:04 pm »
Well this cabinet is rapidly drawing to a close:

I picked this up at the electronics store.  Does exactly what I wanted.  Connects a bunch of wires to the CP box so that I can keep it modular.

Early on I decided I wanted RGB LED buttons.  Paradise Arcade sells a very nice button with an easy to set up LED..  The cable is GENEROUS at 40" long!  The vast majority of them I only needed to be 6"-8" long.   I chose to cut all of them to proper length and re-terminate them with their 4 pin Dupont connectors.    Wiring isn't for everyone - but this may have been my favorite part of the project.  With mistakes and re-do's - I did over 100 little Dupont pins.

Testing each wire and configuring each LED one at a time was very satisfying.

I popped the CP off the box and zip tied and velcro'ed the harness in place for the coin buttons and the connector coming in the back of the panel.

Everything all wired up and tested.

Same thing - harness all zip tied into position.

Back in place.  It looks pretty official to me.  I suspect I'll be giving a few tours of the inside of the CP, the coin door and inside the cabinet.

Construction completed. 

I have a few wires to tidy up inside the cabinet and then install the rear panels.  I tried to get a decent pic of it in the shop - but its not possible with the lighting and all the other stuff in there..  I'll get some nicer ones once I move it.

My software on the other hand is still a mess...  I have considerable work to do to make the machine 'consumer ready'.   

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2018, 08:58:39 pm »
Sick job.  That's one of the cleanest CPs I've ever seen.   :applaud:

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2018, 01:01:32 am »
The plan is to make them 'switchable' in the event I need to disable children from going crazy  :P

LOL, that's exactly what I did too.  Looks good dude.  I wish my wiring looked that nice and tidy.  :applaud:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2018, 04:56:11 pm »
Update?

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2018, 01:34:00 am »
Yeah, where's the grand finale?

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2018, 02:39:33 am »
Looking good!  I like your workmanship.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2018, 09:19:05 am »
Thanks everyone for the kind words and following along - I wanted to move the cabinet to a better location to get some pics - but it will need to hang out in the shop for a while so I can clean up the software.  That said - the project certainly deserves a construction summary:

My arcade cabinet started as an idea years ago when I discovered MAME and that I could play Centipede (my college game) exactly as I had then..  the desire to build one came and went until last year when I ran into a real Centipede cabinet that was operational but unplayable..  it was infuriating.

I spent about 6 months designing a cabinet in Sketchup, acquiring components and perusing the Arcade Controls Forum formulating and overall design.  In December of 2017 I started the actual cabinet construction.

The design goals were rather simple – build a cabinet that was reasonably modular and that I could take apart if needed.  It has a relatively powerful PC so that I can add newer games down the line.  My research led me to a 32″ monitor to give the height needed for vertical games which seems to be working nicely.

Ultimately the machine will end up at our lake house once I get all of the software sorted.  I’m using Bigbox as the front end and LED Blinky to show us all the buttons and controls for the games I don’t know – the pause/help feature is really useful.  I’m also no artist so the overall look is pretty basic when it comes to that.  The control panel mirrors some design points of a Traditional Wooden Boat – but overall – I didn’t want it to be too busy.

Construction complete!  Shop is all cleaned up and ready for the next project.

Dell PC, Coin door, Arcade power supply and small subwoofer for Jukebox mode.

Coin buttons under the CP on each side, lighted PC power switch and on the right – volume up/down.

Moving handles and cooling fans – so far the fans have not been needed..  I’ll keep an eye on the cabinet heat.  They make a little more noise than I like – maybe there is a variable speed fan controller/thermostat out there I can rig up..

Relatively slim profile – overall less than 28″ deep.

The fun part – wiring up the central nervous system.

Next steps are to start over on the software installation and create a little documentation to keep track of all the little changes and make it a bit more bulletproof.  Right now I have to jump through a bunch of steps to get it ‘ready’ for someone to use.  I’ll be pinging the forum for help on that too.  Maybe add some other emulators?  Not sure which ones even like arcade style controls.

I’d like to create some side art that matches the lakeside theme – that is quite the undertaking – we’ll see if I get that far.

We have a LOT of people who are ready to play some old school games.. I need to get the software done!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2018, 03:42:25 pm »
Nice and clean overall.  Love the coin box, gonna have to steal that one.  Keep the updates coming with the software side and if you decide to put any artwork on the side.  Nice work.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2018, 09:16:44 pm »
Thanks Arroyo
Now your turn!!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2018, 10:05:22 pm »
Thanks Arroyo
Now your turn!!

Hehe, your gonna have to give me some leasons.  Seriously good job.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2018, 10:12:21 pm »
Thanks - its a pretty solid build for a first attempt  :)

My sage advice:  just do a little every day - even if its picking up tools & cleaning for 10 minutes.  The project will never be on the back burner.
You can have all the lessons you want - I've been woodworking for 30 years+  that part's simple for me.  Its why I put so many details and pics in the thread  - I'm guessing the 'gamers' are much better at the games than I am and maybe construction isn't at the top of the list.. So its a good trade! 

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2018, 11:44:58 pm »

You can have all the lessons you want - I've been woodworking for 30 years+  that part's simple for me.  Its why I put so many details and pics in the thread  - I'm guessing the 'gamers' are much better at the games than I am and maybe construction isn't at the top of the list.. So its a good trade!

Yup woodworkings gonna be the toughest part for me, so being able to follow your thread will definitely help.  Electronics/Software is easier for me, so if I can help there let me know, but it looks like you’re on solid ground.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2018, 09:37:49 am »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

GREAT job.  Nice clean lines and a personal theme.  It came out really nice.  Hopefully you will get hours and hours of enjoyment out of it.  The best part is discovering games you never played as a kid and adding them to the regular rotation.   :cheers:

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2022, 10:33:09 pm
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2018, 11:42:31 am »
OMG!! this is so beautiful. This is the model I will follow for sure, I have a model already but I can integrate the woodwork and the details you shared with us here.
And I hope can get it to look nice. If I get like 60% as nice as yours, I can be happy

My sage advice:  just do a little every day - even if its picking up tools & cleaning for 10 minutes.  The project will never be on the back burner.
Yep, I fall in this category, so I will follow your advise here.
 :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:44:12 am by bad_boo »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2018, 12:34:00 pm »
Thanks guys :)

I forgot to add - I uploaded my Sketchup Plans to the SKetchup 3DWarehouse Site.

Lakeside Aracde Cabinet Sketchup - 2017 Model

If anyone makes it - please let me know :)

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 05:36:57 pm
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2018, 12:45:11 pm »
This turned out to be a great, solid build! I like the clean control panel and profile; it's not too slim but not bulky at the same time. Very nicely done!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2018, 09:23:30 pm »
One more feature added:

Keyboard Shelf:

Turns out there is a significant amount of keyboard work that you have to do at the machine so that you can set up Mame Software, the front end, buttons, LEDs, etc..

I had no real good way to use the keyboard and mouse and control panel...

So I came up with this.. A clip-on keyboard shelf.  Made out of all scrap I had laying around and $3.29 worth of 'L' brackets,

The metal 'L' brackets slide over the face of my CP box..

I cut the blocking to match the angle of the CP and carpeted the face of the supports that press against the CP front.  While I was at it - I added a back edge to keep things from sliding off.

Much easier!!  It will fit inside the cabinet for storage too once the keyboard works slows.. (if it ever slows..)

nanoflower

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2023, 04:32:37 pm
  • All Your Base Are Belong To Us
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2018, 04:24:13 am »
(...)My top panel has cooling fans and hand holds.  Not sure the fans will even be necessary or if it will get hot inside the cabinet..  They are very quiet so it certainly can’t hurt.

This is a great looking build, good work  :applaud:

One thing I have to ask though; how did you trim the laminate on the miter cuts?
I'm asking because I laminate my sides first and then make the angled cut to get then sharp - the chipping factor is a nightmare  :-\

/Nano

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2018, 10:08:16 am »
One thing I have to ask though; how did you trim the laminate on the miter cuts?
I'm asking because I laminate my sides first and then make the angled cut to get then sharp - the chipping factor is a nightmare  :-\

/Nano

Cover the edge in painter's tape - this reduces chip out for the most part.  Also, use a router and a 45 degree bit - the table saw teeth will chew it up.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2018, 10:36:45 am »
I had my 45's already cut before laminating.  However  - a sharp carbide blade will cut clean since the tablesaw cuts on the down stroke.

That said -
I added the laminate and cut it close to the sharp edge with the table saw.
Finally I finished with a SHARP block plane set to thin shavings.
If you cut at an angle and down toward the laminate face (it will feel weird since the angle is an undercut) - you will not have any chipping and you are only taking off the underside of the laminate for the most part.. 
Hopefully that makes sense..

roel_v

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2019, 03:41:52 am
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2019, 04:08:37 am »
I'm designing a cabinet and I'm using your measurements as my starting point, thanks for that.

I have two questions:

- in the first post in this thread, it looks like the back of the cabinet is slightly slanted, i.e. sloping inwards from the top to the bottom. The plans and the other pictures don't have that though. I quite like the less boxy look of the slanted-looking first pic. Am I just seeing it wrong though?

- Do you actually use the spinner and trackball? I know it's 'personal preference' thing but I'm kind of put off by the extra work they would bring, and I don't really see the value - but then again it might be one of those 'you didn't know you wanted it until you had it' things so I'm going back and forth on whether I should include it in mine...

Thanks!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2019, 09:22:04 am »
Hi There..

The rear of the cabinet is perfectly vertical.. It may be an optical illusion.  The PDF plans will show the true dimensions.

I use the trackball all the time - my favorite game is Centipede - so the trackball is my primary control.
The spinner is a different story - I do not use it very much at all.  In fact - I had hoped I kept it out of the way - it sometimes interferes with trackball games.  Both the trackball and spinner on my cabinet are currently mapped to be the same exact mouse..  So if you hit the spinner during a trackball game...  it messes things up.   Just last week I found out I can split them so they are *different* mice.  I purchased the adapter from Ultimarc last week, Just waiting for it to show up..

I'd say build the Control Panel to a design you like..  I made a couple mock up on 3/4" particle board and played them on the bench before committing to a final layout..  and even then I should have moved the spinner to the right over the player 2 side..  It is personal preference..  I liked Arkanoid - which is why I have it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:34:20 am by bperkins01 »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2019, 08:16:27 am »
Lakeside Arcade: Modifications after a year of use..

I designed my cabinet for a clean look and uncluttered layout.
With that in mind - I put the power and volume control buttons under the control panel/above the coin door and out of sight since they are used infrequently.  Over time they just felt more and more inconvenient.   I knew where they were - but after months of showing people how to turn it on/off..  how to control the volume.. and just reaching under the CP to change the volume..  It was time for a change.

The good news is my original plan was a modular design.  The control panel comes out by removing a few machine screws, a 7 pin connector and a USB cable.  The volume control is seen below the CP box.

First time I've ever had the CP removed as a single unit like this..super simple.

With the CP out - I used blue tape to mark the positions for the new holes which needed to be cut into the top and front blocking.  The filler panel that the volume control and power button is on was also easily removable.

Here is the start of the power button hole.  I needed to clamp a backer block underneath to get the Forstner bit to cut straight.

Quick fit of power switch..

Getting the switch in and the nut that holds it in was a pain.  I was curled up sitting on my subwoofer box messing with it for a good 20 minutes.

Cutting this square hole was relatively simple.  Drilled a few holes and cleaned it up with a chisel.

This will be sooooo much easier.

Power and volume moved up next to the bezel.  Its already been easier to use this way.  I'm glad they are not on the CP - but happy they are easy to access now.

The original filler panel will get a fresh piece of laminate to cover the old holes. Just like I designed.