Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.  (Read 157876 times)

bperkins01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.
« on: January 08, 2018, 02:39:26 pm »
Project Name:  Lakeside Arcade

I've spent the better part of the last 8 months planning and collecting components to build my own cabinet.  Finally I got around to completing my design and completing another project before getting to building my cab. 

My final revisions to the Sketchup plans were focused on trying to eliminate some oddball measurements where I could and creating a design that I could build a cabinet that could be disassembled if needed using threaded inserts, etc.

I made a rookie mistake and didn't take that final step of creating a cutlist style layout in Sketchup.  Had I done this - I would have easily fit both side panels on a single sheet of plywood..  I trimmed the height first and ended up needing to cut into a second sheet. DUH!

Here is a side panel all set up - Sketchup measurements made it all simple to do and even though I had specific angles for the control panel and screen angle - I was able to plot points and just connect dots to make it all work.  I did double check them however..

First panel completed.  I used the plunge saw for the majority of the straight cuts and the jigsaw to get close to the curves.  Then I cleaned them all up to fair lines with a drum sander, rasp and block plane to get it as clean as possible.

Making the second panel is ultra-simple.  Trace the original in pencil, cut outside the line with a jigsaw and double stick tape them together.  Using a pattern bit (spiral down cut is best for this) - just duplicate it with a router.  Less than 10 minutes on the second panel.

I want a clean bezel to side panel joint - using the plunge router and guide fence let me add this detail.

I see many questions on the forums on cutting large circles.  The best way is to get the Jasper circle jigs for your router and cut them that way..  It is a clean,  simple cut and you can cut many size circles.  Big hole saws are clumsy and expensive by comparison.  The have a small hole and large hole version..  Worth every penny.

Power jack added

Part of my philosophy is to create a 'kit'.  Get all of the panel blanks built up and labeled..  then customize them as needed..

Here are the top panels getting fit into place.  The are going into threaded inserts that are in blocks glued to the side panels.. 

Bottom panels with a vent holes in the rear and a 7" hole for a subwoofer.  My cab will have jukebox mode and the amp should have enough smarts to break out a little bit of bass (I hope!)

First assembly with enough parts to make it cabinet shaped.

It is a bit wobbly at this point - I think a few more components and the CP design will stiffen it up nicely once it is all build up.

more to come...

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:38:43 pm »
Cabinet looks good so far. 

I've never tried pattern-routing a panel that big with a router table.  How does that compare to using a hand router?

You have a very nice looking workshop.  This does not seem like your first woodworking rodeo.  Keep the pics coming.   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:50:59 pm »

I've never tried pattern-routing a panel that big with a router table.  How does that compare to using a hand router?

You have a very nice looking workshop.  This does not seem like your first woodworking rodeo.  Keep the pics coming.   :cheers:

It’s not a table, he’s using a jig.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 06:15:09 pm »
It's actually a router table insert off of the extension on my table saw.  Which made it easier.  I would have done it freehand if I didn't have a large surface like that..
Woodworking is the 'relatively' easy part. 
The items I've spent time on is CP layout and ergonomics.. 
and I'm no artist either - there are so many creative cabinets out there..  I just want mine to look acceptable.
I'll be going Pro for side and CP graphics.. 
Thanks!
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:39:15 pm »
I was asking about this picture.  Looks like he is copying the second side using a router table.  Hadn't seen that done before.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:41:01 pm »
You have skills and this should be a fun project to watch. 

I would suggest you host your pictures on the BYOAC site.  We have had a lot of project threads destroyed when third party hosting went away.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 07:26:06 pm »
I was asking about this picture.  Looks like he is copying the second side using a router table.  Hadn't seen that done before.

Ok, I see that now. Wow, yer right!! :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:08:41 am »
I've always liked threads with lots of pics.. So I'll keep adding them.  If anyone ever wants more detail - let me know.  I have a lot of woodworking experience and happy to help.

Last night I got a couple of small items done.

Rear panel blocking with threaded inserts already in place..

I added the upper back panel in place.  Its not necessary to have a nice tight fitting miter joint..  but it certainly looks nice.

The marquee shelf went together quickly.  I'm using a 15 deg tilt for the monitor.

I've been using my table saw as a bench.  The actual bench is covered with other parts.  The easy way to line up the shelf is to clamp a straight edge in place..

Here are the threaded inserts..  Best way to make the holes is to use a 3/8" Forstner bit to drill a clean hole.  Then screw them in..

10-24 Machine screws with finish washers hold the shelf in place.  I drilled the  holes in the shelf at 1/4"  to allow for some adjustment.  Its nearly impossible to line the holes up perfectly otherwise.

This stiffened it up a little bit.. 

I can't seem to figure out how to save the pictures to the forum and use them - If someone points me in the right direction I will do that.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:00:25 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 09:50:36 am »
In 'project announcements' there is the NOT A PROJECT III - Thread for Posting Images to Link in our project threads - sticky. Post a reply in that thread, go to 'Attachments and other options', you can attach up to 8 pics. After that, you can use the links to the pics in your thread.

To post a pic, click on the leftmost button in the second row

and insert the link.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:51:38 am »
Tonight I added more holes to the cabinet.  Below is a closeup of the hole jig for the router.  It will cut any size hole in 1/16" increments up from 1".  Drill a 1/8" hole and insert the pivot pin... 

To cut the hole - align the pin on the jig to the correct diameter - plunge and cut the hole. 

I saw a cabinet that had hand holds for tilting and rolling the case.  They cost under $10 and I figured it was a simple addition.

The speakers I chose came with a gift!  They had the perfect sized trim rings that I could use as a template to cut out the speaker holes.  I aligned them per my plans

Before cutting them out on the router table - I removed the center to make less work for the router bit.

Perfect oval ..

I still need to decide if I will use grills or speaker fabric over the whole panel.  These are very middle of the road speakers ($54)   -  I'm certain they will play Mame games just fine.   If I have an ok background music jukebox mode, that will be an added bonus.  Or maybe some more modern games with bigger sound at some point.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:37:30 am »
Those handles will come in handy.  They are nice for tipping the cabinet backwards.

You are making me want to get a router table.   :cheers:

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 09:42:43 pm »
Loving this build!  Oh how I envy you guys with these nice shops.  All I had for my build was a 12v drill, cheap circular saw, and a hand router. Lol

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 06:33:20 am »
That is pretty much all you need to build an arcade machine.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:54 pm »
Thanks - and I agree.  Having a nice shop is not a requirement for this type of construction, but it makes things faster and more accurate in a lot of ways.
A drill, router, circular saw would be the minimum.. 
a jig saw would be a huge help too.

I'll keep pics coming as I make progress - I've always appreciated when others puts many pics.  I've copied plenty of ideas from them.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 06:45:40 pm »
Made some more progress over the last couple days.

My plan all along was to box & insulate the speakers.  Here I added rails and a back panel to enclose the top coaxial speakers.

A box within a box.

Same plan for the subwoofer (also quite inexpensive)

Simple 12 x 12 x 4 box over it.  They will get wired and insulated during final assembly.

My next task was to create a bezel for the monitor (32" LCD)..  I was able to gently pop off the bezel for the monitor itself.  This will allow it to mate up flush to the 1/2" MDF I'm using in the cabinet.

The plan was simple - draw the line on the MDF blank that I needed - precut with a jig saw - the finish cutting on the router table using a fence to get it straight.

Here you see the fence on the left - cutting a straight line.. and...

The router bit grabbed because I was going against the cutter direction and pulled right through the bezel...  ok  .. Now I'll do it the right way..  after a trip to the Depot to buy another 2x4x1/2" MDF.

This time I double stick taped guide blocks to the (new) cutout.

Then used the pattern bit to follow the guide to get my opening..

Since I was able to get the bezel off of the LCD - I wanted my bezel to have a little bit of angle on the opening..  I had a 14deg dovetail bit. 

I'm doing the exact thing that caused the first MDF failure - using the fence and trying not to accidentally pull the work into the bit..  Howver - I'm taking off much less material with the dovetail bit.  I'm making sure the piece can't lift with the feather board..  and.. I'm routing in the proper direction with the bit.
I started in a corner, started the router and lowered the bit down to get the cut profile.

I was very careful to keep it tight against the fence and create the profile.

Then you have to stop in the corner, turn the router off, move the fence, turn the piece to the new side against the fence and repeat for all 4 sides.

The color is off for some reason - I used some blocking and mounted the monitor directly to the bezel and connected the PC to it..  I'll be painting it black and covering with a smoked tempered glass..   

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 09:39:22 am »
I suppose at this point of the project - this thread could be in the woodworking forum - but I'll keep going here.  ;)

I’ve started working on the control panel box.  It is a standard design except I wanted to add one nice (but unnecessary detail) of a curved front.  The curve will match the leading edge of the CP itself.  To be sure to make it symmetrical – I made a template out of 1/4″ hardboard scrap.  It is one side of the curve of the inside of the front curved component.  That piece will be made of laminated 1/8″ plywood.

First step is to make a form to bend the plywood on..  I have some scrap 3/4″ particle board.  Double stick tape the pattern to the board aligned at the center..

Then I trimmed close to the pattern with the band saw and finished the first side with the pattern bit at the router table.

Next, flip the pattern and cut the opposite site – perfectly symmetrical form.

After the first one – the remainder are simple.  Screw the next blank to the first pattern, trim close with the bandsaw (or jig saw).  The complete with the pattern bit on the router table.

Repeat..

A stack of 6 gives me the form I need to mold the front panel.

Hopefully I get to glue up the lamination later today.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 05:41:39 pm »
Okay this is interesting.  I'm curious what comes next with that curve.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 09:43:44 pm »
Today's update:  Gluing up my curved control panel front.
Disclaimer: The curved front is just a little something I wanted to do to break up a boxy cabinet a bit..  It can be done with clamps very easily.  I've done a lot of vacuum veneer work and had all of the stuff to do it this way.

I double stick taped the form to an old laminated shelf. There is a center line on the form and on the four 1/8" planks to help me line them all up.  The plastic can be any type really..  best if duct tape sticks to it.  I got as much of the setup staged as I could before gluing up the planks.

The whole purpose of this step is to make my own piece of curved plywood.

Here are the planks - To laminate curved wood - you need to use a glue that dries hard.  Regular wood glue is very soft and the boards will slip over time.   A thin coating with a foam roller on the mating surfaces is all it takes.

I missed a few pics in between because my gloves were covered in epoxy.  The 4 planks were centered and tacked in place at the centerline with a couple finish nails.  That keeps everything from sliding around.   Then I covered the whole thing with some nylon fabric and some plastic screen..  Epoxy will not stick to the fabric and that way I do not glue the screen to the plywood.  The screen give the air an exit path to the vacuum pump.

The remainder of the plastic vacuum 'bag' is taped down.  You want the plastic to be as loose as possible so there is no bridging of gaps..  every little corner wants to be sucked in as best as you can get it..

Here is the curved front piece being clamped onto the form with vacuum.  Why do it this way?  The gauge shows 25hg, which is approx 12 psi.    These planks are 5"x32" (or 160 sq inches)..  12 psi x 160 = 1,920 pounds of total clamping pressure in the exact shape of my curved control panel front.  Can this be done with regular clamps?  Absolutely..  Vacuum just does a much better job.  Plus - I had all of the equipment from other projects.

A quick video showing the pump getting turned on:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 09:52:55 am »
Thanks for posting that video.  I've seen pictures of that method before but never a video.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 09:34:28 pm »
Thanks wp34 -
I'm not going to get to work on it until next week.

More to come  :)

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 06:12:23 pm »
This is impressive.  Thanks for being so thorough in documenting... it's a fun thread to follow. 

As others have said, nice shop.  A well-lit, organized place to work makes these kinds of projects go faster and, frankly, make them more fun.  These threads always make me wish I wasn't so terrible at woodworking! 

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 01:48:48 pm »

This is impressive.  Thanks for being so thorough in documenting... it's a fun thread to follow. 

As others have said, nice shop.  A well-lit, organized place to work makes these kinds of projects go faster and, frankly, make them more fun.  These threads always make me wish I wasn't so terrible at woodworking! 

Mike
   Its not the shop that makes it fun or easy, woodworking is a skill , something you learn from as you do it getting better with time.... What your looking at here is somebody who is not only afraid to buy the right tools for the job, but obviously likes quality....Love the Delta, little jealous ::)   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:53:47 pm by jennifer »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 11:21:31 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words  :) 
I worked part time at a woodworking store for a number of years - they had a fantastic employee discount.

I finally got to work on my cabinet again this evening

The curved front came out pretty nice.  I ran the bottom edge across the jointer to clean it up and trimmed the ends to fit inside the CP box.  Using the form I vacuumed it on to cut the ends made it real simple.  I used the table saw miter gauge and trimmed each end so that it fit tight on the ends.  Here it is a still tall.. cutting it so the control panel will lay flat along the entire curved face is tricky.

Here is how I did it..  I screwed a couple of stop blocks to the exact width of the CP box (31" in my case)  onto a piece of scrap plywood.  The idea is to keep the curved piece from flattening out and changing the cut.. 

This shot is after the cut, the blade tilted and the flat side up against the fence..

One (what turned out to be) a small screwup here..  I had the blade tiled to 12 degrees which is the angle the box sides meet the back face of the curved part..  It SHOULD have been tilted to 5 degrees, the angle of the down slope of the control panel...

The outcome was that the curved panel met the underside of the control panel tight at the ends and had a 1/8" gap in the center - NOT what I wanted!  After being a bit angry at myself for the mistake - the solution turned out to be quite simple.  I re-adjusted the blade to the 5 degree angle and bumped the fence in 1/4" and re-cut the panel.

The result is a nice tight fit where the CP meets the curved face.  Phew..

Here I'm gluing/clamping on a 1/4" plywood spacer to the bottom of the curved piece.  The upside of my mistake is that I could have messed this up more than once, re-cut the curve and added more to the bottom.  So in the end, not a big deal.

Next, trim off the excess on the front with the bandsaw - get it close w/o touching.. Also notice the tight lamination of the 4 x 1/8" plywood.. Vacuum clamping at it's best!

Back to the pattern bit at the router table and trim the face of the CP box flush.

Curved part completed.  It will end up laminated and not all that visible.. But it takes a little bit of the boxy cabinet look away..

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 08:44:54 am »
Looking good sir, very nice wookwork.

But unless that thing breaks back down easily or your not gonna use tmoulding, rookie mistake #2, you forgot to cut your t slots for the moulding before you put it together.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 08:55:08 am »
Been there.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 09:17:09 am »
Thanks guys -

The whole cabinet will come apart by design.  I have threaded inserts all over it. In fact - it has to come apart or I can't get the bezel in.
My plan is to use Formica on the sides and front facing panels.  Once they are all in place - I'll cut the T-slots.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 05:36:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 04:18:31 pm »
Clean lines and tight joints - this is my kind of build. Looks like it's coming along very nicely!

What kind of router table insert are you using? Are you happy with its accuracy?

Keep up the nice work!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 05:13:18 pm »
Thank you   ;D

The Router lift is pretty old - its on my table saw extension.
Something on this idea: Router Lift

What's nice about them is that its easy to pop the router out and change bits.  Also that the tablesaw itself turns into a large table for big awkward parts.
I use it for pattern bit and edge molding work mostly. 

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 01:00:08 am »
Nice work bperkins, thanks for sharing the wood skills, definitely taking notes in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 04:15:08 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Small update - no real complicated woodworking or anything..  Just working my way toward cutting and drilling the control panel.

I wanted a drawer for the mouse and keyboard.  Not sure if it will even get a handle - its really just storage for that and maybe some papers/diagrams I may need down the line.
Nothing complicated about it.. Drawer box and bottom.

Using scrap as guides helps with alignment of the drawer slides.  Use the guide to draw the center line on both sides of the cabinet w/o trying to measure and get the lines squared up.

Hides underneath the CP nicely.

Next up the coin door - I have two European hinges on it and plan to add a center one because the door/coin door are a bit on the heavy side.   These hinges are very adjustable to control the gap around the perimeter. Great to work with this style hinges.

While the door was mounted - I made a scrap template that matches the size of the opening needed for the coin door.  My design called for the coin door to be ~2 1/2" from the top of the door - using the template - I taped it to the door and found it looked a little nicer at 3 1/2" from the top edge..  So I went with that.

I cut the hole using a jig saw and dropped the coin door in place..  It uses 10-24 carriage bolts.  It would be best if I could use the drill press to get a nice perpendicular hole..  But the door is to big - a block pre-drilled at the press is a nice guide to make sure the hole does not get off course..  Slightly crooked carriage bolt heads are a small detail - but annoying to look at!

Mounted in place..

Here's where I'm at now..

I'll paint the carriage bolts black for final assembly..

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 08:30:38 am »
First update in a couple of weeks - work and life got in the way!  But back at it last night.

Another good use for the European hinges:  Everyone is going to want to see inside the control panel and I'm certain I will have it off and on dozens of times during construction & wiring.   It happened to work out that they close at greater than 90 deg of a traditional door and swing an extra 5 deg.  They are quick release so they click apart/together easily.

Waiting on artwork before final cutting and drilling the panel.

My original design was to have a full length door to access the rear.  But once it was all together I realized a couple things.  First - I have considerable access through the front with the coin door, drawer and control box being removable.  Second, the cabinet seemed a bit wobbly and a fixed panel in the back would add rigidity.  Second - I would have had to purchase another sheet of plywood for a full panel.  But I did have scrap to create a fixed lower panel and a door for behind the monitor.

Trick for any screws - lubricate them with a toilet bowl wax ring.  These threaded inserts were going into the stop blocks real hard..  Add wax and they spin in nice and easy.  This ring is probably near 20 years old.  For $3 - its worth having one around.

Door and fixed panel.  I'll go back and modify the plans to match.

95% of the woodworking is complete now.  I have a few adjustments to make here and there.  The plan is to disassemble, paint some areas and laminate the sides and front facing parts. 

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2022, 10:33:09 pm
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 01:47:05 pm »
Loving this project so far. Pretty much I would be following you, when I start my own project.
Thanks for posting all the detailed pictures, as I can planned ahead what I will be doing as well.
 ;)

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2018, 01:04:02 pm »
This thing is beautiful.  I love that you're building in plenty of 'easy access' points - this will save you a lot of headaches along the way! 

What are the holes behind the marquee for?  Ports?  More speakers?  Fans?  Skeeball?

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2018, 08:42:26 pm »
Thanks for the kind words and following along -
The round holes are for ventilation.  I'll put fans up top if it gets too warm in there - better yet - it they made a little thermostat to kick them on .. hmmmmmm

I've taken the cabinet apart to work on painting and laminating the parts.  The interior will remain bare wood.  There are many edges where painting them flat black has the potential to cover up any mistakes.  I'm going to laminate the back panels, but there really is no need to do edge banding on them..  Those edges get paint.  I'm painting the side panel edges black so that if the T-Track has any small gaps, they will be black like the side panels.  I also painted the inside of the speaker and fan openings.  The bottom of the control panel box got black paint.

The drawer and coin door get edge banding - since they are most likely to be seen opened.  I started with the panel sides and will do the top and bottom once the sides are trimmed.   A trim router in a necessity for this type of work.

My side panels can be fit together to conserve materials.  Use a 1" (or so) block and trace around the panels on the back of the laminate.

Now the tough part - I tried cutting the material using a jig saw using the gap between the benches.  One side fell, tore and that was that.  I tried to cut the other side and had another sawing mistake and essentially ruined the entire sheet of laminate.   So much for conserving material.   There is enough left that I can use it for one of the large panels, etc..  But I will come up with a better way to do this without destroying the next sheet..

Bare wood is best with 2 coats of contact cement due to absorption.  I put one on, let it dry 30 minutes, then add a second coat to the wood and a single coat on the laminate pieces and allow it to dry 30 minutes.  Contact cement should be slightly tacky to the touch, like a PostIT note,  not wet like glue.  Its amazingly strong when lined up to stick to itself this way.

Once dry - you get one shot at attaching the laminate.  Best to line up larger sheets on long sticks/dowels - then pull them out one at a time and stick the sheet in place.  Use a J-roller to apply pressure to finish laminating the panel.

Here is part of the trimming process.  Router table and flush trim bit to clean up all of the overhang and openings.  It makes quite the mess.  The contact cement gums up the bearing on the router bit and clumps end up on the edge you are trying to cut.  You end up making a rough first pass - cleaning everything away - cleaning the edge and bit with acetone and then making a finish pass.

Inside the speaker opening, inside edge painted black.

Speaker panel all trimmed and cleaned up.  My build has lots of panels and edges. 

Here most of the work is done.  I have to do the sides and one more back panel.  Then the cabinet can go back together.

Laminating all of these parts isn't particularly difficult - it is time consuming..  I have 10-15 hours into it with more to go.  Probably still a better look than just paint.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 09:49:54 pm »
Great post, love the details and the fact you are not afraid to post the mistakes, helps the rest of is inexperienced folk learn a lot.  Keep it coming :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 05:44:03 pm by Arroyo »

martin35

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 09:55:29 am
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 11:32:41 pm »
Great post, I'm really looking forward to see how you will cut your next sheet of laminate. I will face the same problem soon.

Thanks

Martin

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2022, 10:33:09 pm
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2018, 11:44:31 am »
Thanks for the update on your project.

Not sure if you mentioned it already, but what kind of laminate are you using?
I am planning on painting my cabinet but if the laminate looks better like you said, I'd like to have a look if I can put it in my budget.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 11:55:34 am »
These guys work magic on laminate, cuts it like butter.  I call them laminate scissors, as you can coutour cut etc.  Add this to your arsenal or you may have one already.

And these are my best friends for inner edges that i can't band.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 12:00:32 pm »
Those laminate scissors are sweet. 

After a few close calls cutting my laminate I ended up using painter's tape to keep the laminate from splintering.  Not unlike using tape to keep plywood from fraying.

These guys work magic on laminate, cuts it like butter.  I call them laminate scissors, as you can coutour cut etc.  Add this to your arsenal or you may have one already.

And these are my best friends for inner edges that i can't band.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 12:03:36 pm »
Thanks for the update on your project.

Not sure if you mentioned it already, but what kind of laminate are you using?
I am planning on painting my cabinet but if the laminate looks better like you said, I'd like to have a look if I can put it in my budget.

Laminate does look better, but at 70.00 a sheet it tends to get pricey.  You also have to build your cabinet out of 5/8 ply if use the 1/16 vertical grade laminate, so you tmoulding sits flush on both sides.  Another option if you are a router guy like the OP, mdf core black on black melamine is the way to go, usually around 50-60 a sheet, no painting , no laminating and the finish is superb.

if you use the 1/8 laminate the sides will sit a little proud of your tmoulding but it's very durable.