Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.  (Read 157880 times)

bperkins01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
Re: New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2018, 12:24:17 pm »
Thanks everyone - I like posting these types of threads because I've learned from them myself.
Posting mistakes helps everyone too - I wish I saw more of it in threads.  Everyone who has done a great cab has mistakes. Getting good at something is knowing how to fix them!

I was thinking about that style of cutter/nipper.  It looks like the same think they use for sheet metal - which I have needed more than once.  I wasn't 100% sure they would work on laminate, but didn't know I needed them until 2 days ago!  The Depot has some that I bet will work fine - trip tonight to get/test them..  I have plenty of stock to try them out.

I used Wilsonart Laminate  its $42 per sheet.  Mine were damaged at the edges so they marked them down to $32.  Perfect for me.

My cab is 3/4" plywood.  The Laminate is 1/32" thick.  I need to make a test piece and cut the T-Slot.  The T-Molding guy sells 13/16" stock.  So it will be either 3/4" or 13/16".

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:29:22 pm by bperkins01 »
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2018, 12:38:55 pm »
Yes they are the same as sheet metal shears, harbor freight has a cheap one, that's what i bought and have had it for years. 

oowee you are using the thin laminate, you will will love those shears, with that stock for sure.

Also look into abs plastic sheets, those for 25.00 a sheet.

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2022, 10:33:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2018, 12:55:36 pm »
thanks for sharing the laminate info.

I am a noob, so your comments and pics on your progress will be very helpful.
 :cheers:

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2018, 12:58:14 pm »
Perfect - that's good news.  I figured they were the same.  The Air powered ones are pretty inexpensive - so I'll be going that way. 
I'll post a video of it in action one I get set up.

Straight cuts are simple - table saw made everything I needed.
Curves are the issue - so I'll give it a shot.
Thx
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 05:36:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 02:21:36 pm »
Bummer about the busted laminate. I used the same black Wilsonart stuff on my build - figured $42 was worth it in comparison to the cost of paint, primer, and the arduous task of getting a perfect finish.

Never used them myself, but I hear the laminate scissors are clean and easy to use. I ended up using my Dremel with a multipurpose cutting bit. Made a huge mess, but resulted in a clean cut.

Looking good!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2018, 09:33:54 pm »
Ok - went out and got an air sheer at the Depot and gave it a quick test drive: Air Sheer Video

On a small piece of scrap like this it was a bit tricky to get the cutting angle correct, you have to point it downward more than you would think to get it moving.
But - it will cut out curves just fine for what I need.  I've been eyeballing one of these tools for a while and will find more uses for it.  I wish I had it when I was putting in my dust collection system..

Straight cuts will still be on the table saw - but for roughing out curves - this will be the way to go.

Even better - the Depot got a fresh shipment of sheet laminate in..  So I get to try again very soon   :dunno
Thanks for the help here all!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:48:39 pm by bperkins01 »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2018, 11:53:42 am »
Thanks everyone - I like posting these types of threads because I've learned from them myself.
Posting mistakes helps everyone too - I wish I saw more of it in threads.  Everyone who has done a great cab has mistakes. Getting good at something is knowing how to fix them!

I was thinking about that style of cutter/nipper.  It looks like the same think they use for sheet metal - which I have needed more than once.  I wasn't 100% sure they would work on laminate, but didn't know I needed them until 2 days ago!  The Depot has some that I bet will work fine - trip tonight to get/test them..  I have plenty of stock to try them out.

I used Wilsonart Laminate  its $42 per sheet.  Mine were damaged at the edges so they marked them down to $32.  Perfect for me.

My cab is 3/4" plywood.  The Laminate is 1/32" thick.  I need to make a test piece and cut the T-Slot.  The T-Molding guy sells 13/16" stock.  So it will be either 3/4" or 13/16".

I was planning on doing the same thing, the math I had was 0.706” for the plywood (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prefinished-Birch-Plywood-Common-3-4-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-703-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-971080/203005208), and Wilsonart Vertical grade black matte at 0.028” (https://www.wilsonart.com/black-1595).  If I laminated both sides I came up with a total thickness of 0.762 which would be an overlap of 0.012 which would be less than 1/64”.  I figured this small of an overlap would be fine with 3/4” T-Moulding.  Am I off base?

For cutting the laminate, most folks I’ve seen were using a router with a flush trim bit and following the wood edge.  Are the cutter/nippers for areas where this isn’t an option?  If so where is that coming up?

Also the cost that the home depot website had for the laminate was $58/sheet, is that the tax for a California address, or are you getting this price somewhere else?

Cheers, thanks again for the posts. :cheers:

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2018, 12:42:28 pm »
hmm... Somehow I put a bad link in for the Wilsonart (Just fixed it)  But it is $42 per sheet here..

I made a test block laminated both sides for setting up the T-Slot bit on the router.
It is exactly 25/32" thick.  So right between 3/4" and 13/16"

Coin toss...

The reason for the nippers is to break down the 4x8' sheet into more manageable sizes AND cut curves while doing it.  An Alternative (which I may do) is to get a half sheet of 1/2" foam board insulation - then just use a plunge bit and cut it with a router on the bench top..  The nippers are not for the final finish trim operation that you would do with a flush trim bit.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2018, 01:09:12 pm »
hmm... Somehow I put a bad link in for the Wilsonart (Just fixed it)  But it is $42 per sheet here..

I made a test block laminated both sides for setting up the T-Slot bit on the router.
It is exactly 25/32" thick.  So right between 3/4" and 13/16"

Coin toss...

The reason for the nippers is to break down the 4x8' sheet into more manageable sizes AND cut curves while doing it.  An Alternative (which I may do) is to get a half sheet of 1/2" foam board insulation - then just use a plunge bit and cut it with a router on the bench top..  The nippers are not for the final finish trim operation that you would do with a flush trim bit.

I guess this is another privilege of being a CA resident:

So just to clarify the Wilsonart website shows the thickness of their laminate offerings being:

Does that mean the Vertical grade is not really 0.028" like the website says but is actually 1/32" or 0.03125?

Thanks again.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2018, 01:18:31 pm »
I just put my calipers on the stuff I have.. it is a just a hair over 1/32"  (They are my woodworking calipers - not machinist - they are 1/64" spacing on the dial)
The plywood/glue/laminate layer are going to be use case specific (wood is the big variable obviously)
Which is why I waited on the T-Molding..   I got 3/4" and 13/16" Samples to test to see how it will look.  I'll be ordering that stuff any day now.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 03:33:37 pm »
I just put my calipers on the stuff I have.. it is a just a hair over 1/32"  (They are my woodworking calipers - not machinist - they are 1/64" spacing on the dial)
The plywood/glue/laminate layer are going to be use case specific (wood is the big variable obviously)
Which is why I waited on the T-Molding..   I got 3/4" and 13/16" Samples to test to see how it will look.  I'll be ordering that stuff any day now.

That’s great info, thanks!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:10:33 pm by Arroyo »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2018, 07:53:01 pm »
Nah man, those are choppy, the electric ones from harbor freight are way smoother less fighting and way easier to control.  It's like cutting it with a hot knife.

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-gauge-4-amp-heavy-duty-metal-shears-68199.html

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2018, 08:12:40 am »
Completed the last of the messy work this weekend.
One of he last of the lamination steps - covering the inside edges of the sides.  Glue, stick, trim with a patter bit on the router table.

It worked out that the only place there will be  seams is this little 4" section on the top/ back of the cab..  I can live with that.

Back to cutting the laminate - layout done..

Cutting with shears - done.  No problem this time.  In the end - I'm  pretty sure I would have needed 3 sheets to do what I wanted to do anyway.  I just had a little more waste than expected.

Inside and outside lamination complete - along with about an hour of shop cleanup.  I had thought I'd decided on a T-molding color, then looked one last time and have 2 more samples coming.  I'll install them before setting up the cabinet.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2018, 11:24:47 pm »
Small update tonight:

So I decided on grey T-Molding.  (Boring?)  I cut the 1/16" slot with the standard slot cutter and a router.  Before I installed the molding, I used a long pin with a piece of tape as depth gauge and followed the slot all the way around to make sure the router didn't wander.  The cut was so smooth it was hard to tell if the bearing was actually touching at all times.  Pulling off the molding to recut the slot is what I wanted to avoid.  Good news - I cut it right the first time.

I used a carving mallet to tap the T-Molding in. Here are the snips needed to get around the inside and outside corners so the stuff doesn't buckle

I found even the mallet seemed to be marking the plastic a bit - old sock here to help soften the blow.

Completed installation. 

Cabinet assembly is up next. 

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2018, 11:34:02 pm »
Looks sharp, nice work :applaud:

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2018, 09:58:48 am »
Using a pin to test your depth is a neat idea.  I have had to re-cut my slot once or twice before.

I like the gray t-molding.  It looks different than what you normally see.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2018, 11:57:56 am »
OOOOOOOhhhhhhh.... that has 90's love all over it... Reminds me of the Air Raids!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2018, 12:04:12 pm »
Thanks guys -

I'm no artist - when its done - it could be a big clashing mess..   hopefully not.
I just thought the edge banding shouldn't be distracting or loud since it will be in a normal living area and not a 'Game Room'  :)

and - I'd wear those   :applaud:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:06:52 pm by bperkins01 »

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2018, 12:08:03 pm »
To clarify... I am a Huge fan of those shoes.  :D
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

DeeDub76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2018, 02:12:23 pm
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2018, 09:13:59 am »
Great looking cab!

This is well thought out and executed. I really appreciate the ease of access to everything as well as the colors.  I am looking forward to seeing this finished out

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2018, 09:53:22 am »
Will you have to take off the t-molding to cut your vinyl when you apply it?

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2018, 09:56:30 am »
ahhh - Geez - I hope not..  Did I get that out of order? 
That's going to make for a tedious install.. 
In hindsight - I can see how it would be easier..

oops..

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2018, 12:36:16 pm »
ahhh - Geez - I hope not..  Did I get that out of order? 
That's going to make for a tedious install.. 
In hindsight - I can see how it would be easier..

oops..

Haven’t done it myself but everyone I’ve watched online seems to put the vinyl on and use a new Exacto knife and follow the edge of the wood, with that technique at least it might be hard with the t-mounding installed.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2018, 12:37:42 pm »
Yea - count that as inexperience...  oh well..  I'll make it work.. :dizzy:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2018, 10:02:10 am »
How is this coming along? You inspired me to mount my router to my table saw extension.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2018, 10:21:22 am »
Hi Mike,

Glad I inspired you  ;)

I've been sidelined the past couple of weeks with other stuff (sadly) - I will have some updates very soon.
The cabinet is starting to go together - But I haven't stopped!
thx!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2018, 07:19:14 pm »
Time for a real update - the cabinet is together.

I got started on the bottom panel first..  My cabinet will be for Mame games (maybe others?) but it also has the potential to be a jukebox too..  So I put in an inexpensive subwoofer just in case something in the future can take advantage of it – speaker fabric, faced downward, insulation and will be enclosed.

Black screws are hard to find, but simple to make.  Just a detail..  These are for the wheels for when I tilt/roll the cabinet.

Shiny black screws that no one will ever see – much nicer than silver colored screws that no one will ever see.

My top panel has cooling fans and hand holds.  Not sure the fans will even be necessary or if it will get hot inside the cabinet..  They are very quiet so it certainly can’t hurt.

I didn’t take pics of the cabinet going back together – all of the parts were fit prior to adding the laminate.  Here is a small shelf to mount the PC..  Haven’t quite decided if I’m going to drill holes and screw the PC on ..  or just make straps.

Here is is set up – I went with 1/4″ grey tempered glass.  Not CHEAP!  But it really looks nice..  The control panel blank just clicks in place with the European hinges.

The top speakers will also be insulated and in a box.  My monitor mount is quite simple – wood clamps to hold it in place.  Here I have the power sensing strip in place and the rear power connector set up.

On the lower blocks on the mount – I tapped in a couple of bolts as adjusters to level the monitor in the bezel.  Left and right adjustment is a matter of just moving it left and right.  Then I just tighten all of the mounts to lock it in..

Here is the monitor with the bezel removed and the LCD flipped over off of the backer panel.  The LCD was not sitting flush against my bezel and I needed to add a backer to the existing frame to move it out a bit.

Here is a thin 1/8″ strip of adhesive backed felt (blue) that I added to the existing edge gasket.  I used compressed air to get every spec of dust out of the monitor, then cleaned the LCD and the tempered glass and quickly got it all together in the cabinet so that there would not be any trapped dust.

Note:  The first time around I just mounted the monitor to the bezel.  Unfortunately the LCD slides all over the place.  So I had to take the monitor back off and tape the edge of the LCD in place so that it could not move..  For this type of monitor and mounting method – its a must.  I happened to have foil tape (used for duct work – but not Duck tape).  The foil tape is perfect for this..

I went with a smart strip and the panel mount switch.  Connectors, heat shrink insulation.  I rather like this part of the process – getting all of the wiring in place.

This next part I will go into a lot of detail – not necessarily because it is particularly complicated – but because I could not find this information anywhere – I scoured the internet and found nothing on this specific type of power switch..  So Google, Bing and any other search engines – find this so it can help some others out!

The PC I got is a Dell Inspiron 3668.   My plan is to put a lighted LCD switch below the CP.  One switch powers on the PC – the power strip senses the power coming on and turns on everything else in the cabinet.

The internal switch on the PC is an 0HKFHK7 (Above).  All of the Dell power switch connectors I found documentation on were 10 pins.  This is an 8 pin power switch connector.

Below is the connector on the PC for the power switch that I could not find the pinouts for.  But… I was able to figure out what the pins do to set up my remote switch.

1 –  LED negative

2 –  LED 5V+

3 – Momentary switch

4/5 – Unused

6/7 – Momentary Switch (must be tied together or the BIOS will report defective switch hardware)

I cut the original switch off, saved the connector and added dupont pins.  Cutting open the switch and a little testing got this part figured out.

I'll add proper connectors, mount the PC and get the remote switch set up next.

(more to come…)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2018, 08:04:29 pm »
That is some nice work. You might want to see a mental health professional about that OCD.  :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2018, 12:27:17 am »
Nice work, it’s coming along very nicely.  One thought on the Sub woofer, while I’m no audio expert you may want to consider drilling a hole in the box you have enclosing it to act as a port.  Most subs have this as I believe that when the sub pushes in, the air then bounces off the enclosure forcing the subwoofer back out which may conflict with the sound.  I believe this is where you here people refer to the bass as sounding tubby....just a thought.  You could always test the sound and drill incrementally larger holes until it sounds better if necessary.

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2018, 09:54:08 pm »
I do the same paint trick with screws and other hardware... I keep a few shoeboxes handy at all times for that purpose :)  Sometimes your driver bit will chip the paint as you install... I find that Plastidip on the screws or on your bit works really well to keep that from happening!

Porting a sub can be a frustrating exercise for the uninitiated... it's a relatively scientific procedure to get good results.  I would recommend sealing and living with it for a bit before you add any ports.  If you need an amp, some cheap class D boards can be had from Parts Express.

Mike

You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2018, 08:27:38 am »
Thanks Arroyo and rave0035 on the subwoofer advice.  I do have a small amp that will separate out bass and the top speakers.  Once its all hooked up I'll see what happens in the music/jukebox department.  Really not expecting a Bose speaker system here..  But I don't like crappy bass either.. 

My other plan is I got a small rocker switch that I'll connect to the Ultimate IO card and map it to the keyboard volume+ and volume- keys...  hopefully that works out.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2018, 07:32:56 pm »
hey check your PM so we can follow up. my customjoystick gmail got banned lol ???

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2018, 07:35:10 pm »
also very cool project :applaud:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2018, 07:45:39 pm »
    Jukes don't usually use sub enclosures, If you decide to run that much power, remote speakers would be a better option.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2018, 09:24:47 am »
No - not a lot of power at all.. I have a small 2.1 AMP that maybe cost $40.. 
The 'Jukebox' mode will be more of a background music setting - not an entertainment center. 

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2018, 11:42:53 am »
Quick mid-week update:

I got the connectors all set up after some fiddling around.  The remote power switch (also called a vandal switch it seems) has an LED ring that can run 5v or 12v.  The 12v is a little brighter of course.  I wanted it set up to be lit all the time, however the PC switch LED was only lit when the PC was on.. 

That said - PC's have standby power when the machine is off so that the power switch can trigger the rest of the machine to turn in..  Standby power is normally 5v.  I got a little lucky in that my power supply has 12v standby power..  So I tapped into that for the LED ring..  I also crimped on a couple of connectors so I can get everything apart easily.

I had some cheap harbor Freight tool box liner which is a thin foam material.  The PC shelf, side and top got it to insulate any vibrations so the cabinet didn't develop a hum over time..

To secure the PC - I ended up making a cap out of scrap wood that snugly holds it in place.  The strips go around the side and front and the cap has some of that foam in it.  I put some on the blocking that attaches the cap to the side as a gasket..  just in case some PC vibrations decided to use the side panel as a giant sounding board. 

All that for a little LED ring..

I'm planning on getting the speakers and marquee LEDs in place this weekend.. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:18:28 pm by bperkins01 »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2018, 10:51:40 pm »
You keeping us in suspense on the art?

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2018, 08:24:33 am »
Haha..

No - I've been working with SNAAKE for a while on the art.  I'm pretty good with the woodworking and building - I'm no artist.. We will see how the design comes out.  It will be a theme cabinet .. (Lakeside Arcade) of course..   I'll be happy with 'Not goofy looking'   :laugh2:

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2018, 06:36:32 pm »
Haha..

No - I've been working with SNAAKE for a while on the art.  I'm pretty good with the woodworking and building - I'm no artist.. We will see how the design comes out.  It will be a theme cabinet .. (Lakeside Arcade) of course..   I'll be happy with 'Not goofy looking'   :laugh2:

Snaake did a great job with mine! Good job snagging him!

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2018, 08:37:35 am »
This project is looking great!
No doubt you are experienced in wood working.
I wish I knew 1/4 what you do.