Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.  (Read 157878 times)

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.
« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2019, 10:55:48 am »
Ok,  that’s got me thinking about my own placement of those, they do look like good positions.  Hmmmmm...

max.r.mccarty@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2020, 03:50:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2020, 04:13:09 pm »
Hi Bperkins01 - quick question - how did you end up wiring it so that the power strip would be powered upon the start-up of the computer?  I didn't see any mention of how you tied the powerstrip or power supply.

I went with a smart strip and the panel mount switch.  Connectors, heat shrink insulation.  I rather like this part of the process – getting all of the wiring in place.

This next part I will go into a lot of detail – not necessarily because it is particularly complicated – but because I could not find this information anywhere – I scoured the internet and found nothing on this specific type of power switch..  So Google, Bing and any other search engines – find this so it can help some others out!

The PC I got is a Dell Inspiron 3668.   My plan is to put a lighted LCD switch below the CP.  One switch powers on the PC – the power strip senses the power coming on and turns on everything else in the cabinet.

The internal switch on the PC is an 0HKFHK7 (Above).  All of the Dell power switch connectors I found documentation on were 10 pins.  This is an 8 pin power switch connector.

Below is the connector on the PC for the power switch that I could not find the pinouts for.  But… I was able to figure out what the pins do to set up my remote switch.

1 –  LED negative

2 –  LED 5V+

3 – Momentary switch

4/5 – Unused

6/7 – Momentary Switch (must be tied together or the BIOS will report defective switch hardware)

I cut the original switch off, saved the connector and added dupont pins.  Cutting open the switch and a little testing got this part figured out.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 10:52:39 am
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2020, 05:17:01 pm »
In case he doesn't answer, looks like he used a smart power strip. It works like this: Plug computer into special outlet on the strip. Plug everything else in the reaming outlets. When you boot the computer up, the "smart" outlet detects that and then provides power to the remainder of the strip.

I've had varying degrees of success with them - probably depends which one you get

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2020, 05:21:00 pm »
In case he doesn't answer, looks like he used a smart power strip. It works like this: Plug computer into special outlet on the strip. Plug everything else in the reaming outlets. When you boot the computer up, the "smart" outlet detects that and then provides power to the remainder of the strip.

I've had varying degrees of success with them - probably depends which one you get

This exactly - I used a smart power strip.  That was the easy part.  The hard part was making the lighted remote switch on that PC.
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 02:03:14 am
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2020, 07:47:34 pm »
Fantastic build so far!  Really appreciate all the wood working details too.  Gonna follow this thread closely!  :cheers:

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2020, 08:13:29 pm »
Fantastic build so far!  Really appreciate all the wood working details too.  Gonna follow this thread closely!  :cheers:

Go back to the beginning - this one has been done for over a year.  But thanks  :) 
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 02:03:14 am
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2020, 11:18:36 pm »
Lol, that explains how I missed this thread.  I was expecting finishing shots at the end too and didnt see it as I skimmed.  Somehow I missed page 4.  Now I gotta take a closer look from the beginning again.  Nice details regardless.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:29:53 pm by vertexguy »

max.r.mccarty@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2020, 03:50:13 pm
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2020, 08:54:15 pm »
Thanks bperkins and meyer. 

Two follow up questions -

It looks from the photos that the "smart" power strip is still what is connected to the power on/off switch on the back of the arcade, is that correct?

Also, did you use a standalone power supply for your powered devices that required 12v and that type of terminations (led strips, fans, etc), and was the use of terminal blocks because you didn't have enough connections on the power supply?

Also, with the standalone power supply in the cabinet for powering the

This exactly - I used a smart power strip.  That was the easy part.  The hard part was making the lighted remote switch on that PC.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2020, 09:20:10 pm »
It looks from the photos that the "smart" power strip is still what is connected to the power on/off switch on the back of the arcade, is that correct?
Yes, the smart strip ("Cabinet Power" on the diagrams at this link) gets power from the IEC power inlet.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Wiring#IEC_Fused_Power_Inlet_with_a_Lighted_Switch

Scott

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2020, 09:18:48 am »
I used this as the power for the Ultimate I/O and 12v.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M99A2RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used terminal blocks because connecting everything to just 2 screws is difficult and looks horrible. The strips are easier in the long run.

I used this smart strip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006PUDQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They make a smaller one – I ended up having more outlets than I needed. But it’s worked great from day 1.

GBNE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2021, 01:30:16 pm
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2020, 01:48:40 pm »
I've really enjoyed reading through your thread - it's given me loads of ideas for the details of my first build.

I've been prototyping with controls and getting a feel for the computer / electronics bit, but I'm getting close to grabbing a monitor, and kicking off with building a big box for it all!

I know it was a while ago you put this together, but if possible, could I possibly have a copy of your schematic, just to get more ideas. My control panel will be slightly busier, but that aside it's similar to what I'm looking to build.

Imgpoz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 09:50:05 am
  • Building what I didn't have as a kid!
« Reply #171 on: June 12, 2020, 09:23:31 am »
Wow - an amazing build, you did an outstanding job with this.  I made an arcade machine a few years ago and have considered going back and making a new, cleaner, better one now that I have more experience, but this really ups the bar.  Hope you enjoy it & get many years use out of it!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2020, 09:05:43 pm »
I've really enjoyed reading through your thread - it's given me loads of ideas for the details of my first build.

I've been prototyping with controls and getting a feel for the computer / electronics bit, but I'm getting close to grabbing a monitor, and kicking off with building a big box for it all!

I know it was a while ago you put this together, but if possible, could I possibly have a copy of your schematic, just to get more ideas. My control panel will be slightly busier, but that aside it's similar to what I'm looking to build.

Thank you for your kind words. 
I know one person for sure has built this cabinet based on my plans... But I think there are a few more out there I don't know about..  Changing the CP layout is a given.  Everyone should test their own variants..   
I started by collecting parts - eventually you just start building..  its a fun process.

I never made a full blown schematic - there isn't a lot of room to do different things electrically..  The Ultimate IO card is all programmable and everything else is pretty much give it power.   The power and ground rails I used were helpful..  its better than trying to connect 5 wires to one screw on the power supply..  But after that its not that hard..

Looking forward to your thread!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:08:13 pm by bperkins01 »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2020, 09:10:04 pm »
Wow - an amazing build, you did an outstanding job with this.  I made an arcade machine a few years ago and have considered going back and making a new, cleaner, better one now that I have more experience, but this really ups the bar.  Hope you enjoy it & get many years use out of it!

Thank you - My goal was clean lines and simple..  its held up...  I never even added side art..  But its in a family room area and side art would have been too much..  I may change the marquee and CP some day...  but its a bit off....

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2020, 10:11:34 pm »

I saw that you did this, next go around try these,  this way you dont ruin a 40.00 smartstrip, and way easier to replace the smartstrip should you ever need to.

Cut it in half, used female side to plug in smartstrip now you have your bare wires for the cabinet plug with the smartstrip still in tact. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:16:27 pm by rablack97 »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2020, 10:06:53 am »

I saw that you did this, next go around try these,  this way you dont ruin a 40.00 smartstrip, and way easier to replace the smartstrip should you ever need to.

Cut it in half, used female side to plug in smartstrip now you have your bare wires for the cabinet plug with the smartstrip still in tact.
Thanks - but the smart strip is part of the cabinet and the adapter is just a failure point to me.. If it fails - its getting replaced.  Also notice I cut off a good 3-4 feet of extension cable on the smart strip.  I prefer a clean wiring job.
  Thanks for the suggestion however.  You read through a lot of pages to get to that part   :)

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2020, 07:53:13 pm »
Great build, thanks for sharing.

What advice do you have for threaded inserts?  For me I had to be really precise drilling perfectly downward and then twist-in the insert perfectly downward.  Anything off center and the machine screw might do a lousy job joining wood.  This was especially hard for me on an angled piece of wood for my cab.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2020, 08:51:56 pm »

On the threaded inserts I used a forstner bit for clean holes and toilet bowl ring wax to lube the insert...
After that - push straight down hard with the T-wrench on the insert to get it to start straight.

The last thing I did is all the holes for the machine screws are drilled oversized so they have some wiggle room..  The oval head screws and finish washers hold everything very tight.
 After all this time - I've only removed the CP once and nothing else  - but if I decide to make an upgrade at some point - I can get it apart pretty easily.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2020, 09:55:21 pm »

On the threaded inserts I used a forstner bit for clean holes and toilet bowl ring wax to lube the insert...
After that - push straight down hard with the T-wrench on the insert to get it to start straight.

The last thing I did is all the holes for the machine screws are drilled oversized so they have some wiggle room..  The oval head screws and finish washers hold everything very tight.
 After all this time - I've only removed the CP once and nothing else  - but if I decide to make an upgrade at some point - I can get it apart pretty easily.

Oh that's really neat, I didn't think about it that way.  So if you don't drill perfectly straight down with the forstner, the larger hole for the machine screw will allow the machine screw+washer to screw in tight even if at a slight angle.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2020, 10:36:25 pm »

Oh that's really neat, I didn't think about it that way.  So if you don't drill perfectly straight down with the forstner, the larger hole for the machine screw will allow the machine screw+washer to screw in tight even if at a slight angle.

Yup - you got it.  Or if you miss by a fraction of the width of the screw..  Or if the panels need to wiggle just a little bit to get them to square up.  There are a bunch of reasons to allow some room for adjustment.

Maupoie74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2020, 01:37:51 pm
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2020, 02:42:54 pm »
WOW,

This is exactly the cab I have in my mind to build.
Only a fraction less deep.
I'm just wondering: What are the measurements of your CP?

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2020, 04:18:52 pm »
WOW,

This is exactly the cab I have in my mind to build.
Only a fraction less deep.
I'm just wondering: What are the measurements of your CP?

You can download my plans here: https://bperkins.wordpress.com/downloads/
Everything you want to know is there.  Let me know if you build one :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 08:32:36 am by bperkins01 »

Devistation76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2020, 10:37:28 pm
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2020, 05:21:44 pm »

WOW this is great.   

I'm planning to start one using the plans this weekend and I am really excited to get going.

If you were to start over what would you change?   

I plan to simplify some of your plans for convenience, using some usb speakers, but I was wondering if you found the sub-woofer added a lot to the sound?   I could add a sub with a three piece system and still have it work.  Do you like the sub or could it be fine without? 

Also I saw you took off the protective sides on the tv.  Do you think this was a needed step or could have you just set it behind the bezel without noticing much of a difference once you added the front glass?

Thanks for your advice

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2020, 09:13:50 am »
Hi there

I'd love to see a new build thread on my design.  So if you go that way - start one up.

I wouldn't change much - maybe eliminate the threaded inserts?  Its never coming apart ..  that would simplify a couple things.  The speaker box above the screen isn't really required if you use USB speakers either.

The subwoofer doesn't do much of anything for game play - I only run old arcade games and they were all mono signals that went to an plain speaker.
I added the speaker boxing / sub woofer for more of a jukebox mode..

The curved CP front is optional too obviously ..  You just need to plan your space accordingly.

You can mount the monitor any way.  I wanted mine to be perfectly flush - but even if it wasn't - the smoked glass would hide it..
Hope that helps!

Devistation76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2020, 01:09:07 pm »
Thanks,  I will post some pics.   

Mine will be simplified of course, My friend an I don't have all the tools and shop available, but we will have a good time none the less.

We are also going to throw a X-Arcade tankstick in there so some adjustments there as well. 

Did you ever get side and front art?   

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2020, 02:26:20 pm »
Yea - you can do anything with the CP really..

Mine is in a family room - I ended up leaving it pretty plain.  I put some small marquee plates on the side..
Its pretty plain in that respect.

timblo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2020, 05:00:13 pm
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2020, 08:47:10 am »
Cabinet looks good so far. 

I've never tried pattern-routing a panel that big with a router table.  How does that compare to using a hand router?

You have a very nice looking workshop.  This does not seem like your first woodworking rodeo.  Keep the pics coming.   :cheers:

Hi - your Arcade Cab great - are there more precise blueprints with more precise measurements? - would be happy about pictures or pdf - best regards Tim

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2020, 03:53:37 pm »
Maybe you missed it..
I made 26 pages of plans here:  https://bperkins.wordpress.com/downloads/
If if that doesn't cover it.. I don't know what will....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 08:29:17 am by bperkins01 »

Devistation76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2020, 04:35:45 pm »
What is the thickness or your MDF bezel?  It looks like the bezel fits in the groves that you made going around the plywood, does the glass fit in there as well?

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2020, 04:44:44 pm »
Hi,

Its 1/2" MDF and 1/4" Tempered glass. 
Both fit in the Dado all the way around so they are a clean fit..
hth

Devistation76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2020, 10:24:52 pm »
So this is my first woodworking project of my life so forgive my poor jigsaw holes  they will be covered by a speaker cover right?  LOL .  But it is coming along!   I was wondering about your fans that you used.,  I want to install 2.  one at the top and one down by the PC.  I was thinking it might be better on the second back panel not the first one just so it is above the PC a bit.   I can't do the Dado cuts so I think we are planning to do some blocks to attach the bezel to and mount the tv.   I hope we can figure it out. 

Thanks for your help with the fans

Devistation76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2020, 11:52:13 pm »
Anyone know why my picture is all squished?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #192 on: August 09, 2020, 12:42:19 am »
Anyone know why my picture is all squished?
Because you're uploading them in someone else's build thread?  jk   >:D

When an attached image looks distorted like that, put the URL in IMG tags and set the width to 1024 (or less) like below.
- Forum image handling plugin has problems with EXIF rotation for very large files.

Code: [Select]
[img width=1024]http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=156272.0;attach=384107;image[/img]

It's best to upload pics to the stickied "Not a Project" thread (who cares if they look squished there  :P) then set the width and embed the URL into your post using "img" tags.   ;D

Scott

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2020, 08:01:42 am »
Hi There,

You should start a new thread for your build.  Its better for people to follow and help and is less confusing overall.

I put cooling fans in my cab and never used them.  Low power PCs don't give off much heat and they were louder than I would have liked.
Put the vend holes in and see how it goes temp wise once you are done.

Congrats on your first woodworking project  :applaud:

Devistation76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2020, 03:00:28 pm »
Do you remember the measurements that you used for the European hinges on the front door?  The overlay chart is a bit confusing that came with the hinges.  They say that the cup hole should be exactly 17.5mm plus C (C being the from the end of the door)  the diagrams are for a flush door not an door set like you did, so I'm not sure what to do.   

Thanks of your advice

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2020, 07:51:43 am »
I don't.. I'm sure there are many videos on it.  I'm guessing they may all be a little different depending on the manufacturer.

Timmos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2020, 12:23:27 pm
« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2020, 09:23:29 am »
Maybe you missed it..
I made 26 pages of plans here:  https://bperkins.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/arcade-machine.pdf
If if that doesn't cover it.. I don't know what will....

Great template thanks for the share!!

Would it be easy to put the measurements in Metric please ie Cms?

Thanks alot

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2020, 10:54:43 am »
Its your lucky day :)

I flipped it to metric in Sketchup and made it metric.
You will have to decide how to round the numbers out.

Let me know if this helps:  https://bperkins.wordpress.com/downloads/

(edited to keep all my links in one spot..)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 08:28:33 am by bperkins01 »

Timmos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2020, 12:23:27 pm
« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2020, 04:05:20 pm »
Its your lucky day :)

I flipped it to metric in Sketchup and made it metric.
You will have to decide how to round the numbers out.

Let me know if this helps:  https://bperkins.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/arcade-machine-metric-v11.pdf

Brilliant thanks alot!!!!!!

Last question of the day!!! I promise

What size where the sheets you bought and how many did you buy for the project?

Thanks again for this thread!!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2020, 06:59:41 pm »
I used 2-3 sheets of 4'x8' 3/4" plywood -
HTH!