Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.  (Read 607 times)

bperkins01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.
« on: January 08, 2018, 02:39:26 pm »
Project Name:  Lakeside Arcade

I've spent the better part of the last 8 months planning and collecting components to build my own cabinet.  Finally I got around to completing my design and completing another project before getting to building my cab. 

My final revisions to the Sketchup plans were focused on trying to eliminate some oddball measurements where I could and creating a design that I could build a cabinet that could be disassembled if needed using threaded inserts, etc.

I made a rookie mistake and didn't take that final step of creating a cutlist style layout in Sketchup.  Had I done this - I would have easily fit both side panels on a single sheet of plywood..  I trimmed the height first and ended up needing to cut into a second sheet. DUH!

Here is a side panel all set up - Sketchup measurements made it all simple to do and even though I had specific angles for the control panel and screen angle - I was able to plot points and just connect dots to make it all work.  I did double check them however..

First panel completed.  I used the plunge saw for the majority of the straight cuts and the jigsaw to get close to the curves.  Then I cleaned them all up to fair lines with a drum sander, rasp and block plane to get it as clean as possible.

Making the second panel is ultra-simple.  Trace the original in pencil, cut outside the line with a jigsaw and double stick tape them together.  Using a pattern bit (spiral down cut is best for this) - just duplicate it with a router.  Less than 10 minutes on the second panel.

I want a clean bezel to side panel joint - using the plunge router and guide fence let me add this detail.

I see many questions on the forums on cutting large circles.  The best way is to get the Jasper circle jigs for your router and cut them that way..  It is a clean,  simple cut and you can cut many size circles.  Big hole saws are clumsy and expensive by comparison.  The have a small hole and large hole version..  Worth every penny.

Power jack added

Part of my philosophy is to create a 'kit'.  Get all of the panel blanks built up and labeled..  then customize them as needed..

Here are the top panels getting fit into place.  The are going into threaded inserts that are in blocks glued to the side panels.. 

Bottom panels with a vent holes in the rear and a 7" hole for a subwoofer.  My cab will have jukebox mode and the amp should have enough smarts to break out a little bit of bass (I hope!)

First assembly with enough parts to make it cabinet shaped.

It is a bit wobbly at this point - I think a few more components and the CP design will stiffen it up nicely once it is all build up.

more to come...

My Arcade Build and other projects here:
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • 8 Bit...16 Shy
Re: New Cabinet Build: Lakeside Arcade - plenty of pics.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:38:43 pm »
Cabinet looks good so far. 

I've never tried pattern-routing a panel that big with a router table.  How does that compare to using a hand router?

You have a very nice looking workshop.  This does not seem like your first woodworking rodeo.  Keep the pics coming.   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:50:59 pm »

I've never tried pattern-routing a panel that big with a router table.  How does that compare to using a hand router?

You have a very nice looking workshop.  This does not seem like your first woodworking rodeo.  Keep the pics coming.   :cheers:

Itís not a table, heís using a jig.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 06:15:09 pm »
It's actually a router table insert off of the extension on my table saw.  Which made it easier.  I would have done it freehand if I didn't have a large surface like that..
Woodworking is the 'relatively' easy part. 
The items I've spent time on is CP layout and ergonomics.. 
and I'm no artist either - there are so many creative cabinets out there..  I just want mine to look acceptable.
I'll be going Pro for side and CP graphics.. 
Thanks!

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • 8 Bit...16 Shy
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:39:15 pm »
I was asking about this picture.  Looks like he is copying the second side using a router table.  Hadn't seen that done before.

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • 8 Bit...16 Shy
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:41:01 pm »
You have skills and this should be a fun project to watch. 

I would suggest you host your pictures on the BYOAC site.  We have had a lot of project threads destroyed when third party hosting went away.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 07:26:06 pm »
I was asking about this picture.  Looks like he is copying the second side using a router table.  Hadn't seen that done before.

Ok, I see that now. Wow, yer right!! :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:08:41 am »
I've always liked threads with lots of pics.. So I'll keep adding them.  If anyone ever wants more detail - let me know.  I have a lot of woodworking experience and happy to help.

Last night I got a couple of small items done.

Rear panel blocking with threaded inserts already in place..

I added the upper back panel in place.  Its not necessary to have a nice tight fitting miter joint..  but it certainly looks nice.

The marquee shelf went together quickly.  I'm using a 15 deg tilt for the monitor.

I've been using my table saw as a bench.  The actual bench is covered with other parts.  The easy way to line up the shelf is to clamp a straight edge in place..

Here are the threaded inserts..  Best way to make the holes is to use a 3/8" Forstner bit to drill a clean hole.  Then screw them in..

10-24 Machine screws with finish washers hold the shelf in place.  I drilled the  holes in the shelf at 1/4"  to allow for some adjustment.  Its nearly impossible to line the holes up perfectly otherwise.

This stiffened it up a little bit.. 

I can't seem to figure out how to save the pictures to the forum and use them - If someone points me in the right direction I will do that.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 09:50:36 am »
In 'project announcements' there is the NOT A PROJECT III - Thread for Posting Images to Link in our project threads - sticky. Post a reply in that thread, go to 'Attachments and other options', you can attach up to 8 pics. After that, you can use the links to the pics in your thread.

To post a pic, click on the leftmost button in the second row

and insert the link.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:51:38 am »
Tonight I added more holes to the cabinet.  Below is a closeup of the hole jig for the router.  It will cut any size hole in 1/16" increments up from 1".  Drill a 1/8" hole and insert the pivot pin... 

To cut the hole - align the pin on the jig to the correct diameter - plunge and cut the hole. 

I saw a cabinet that had hand holds for tilting and rolling the case.  They cost under $10 and I figured it was a simple addition.

The speakers I chose came with a gift!  They had the perfect sized trim rings that I could use as a template to cut out the speaker holes.  I aligned them per my plans

Before cutting them out on the router table - I removed the center to make less work for the router bit.

Perfect oval ..

I still need to decide if I will use grills or speaker fabric over the whole panel.  These are very middle of the road speakers ($54)   -  I'm certain they will play Mame games just fine.   If I have an ok background music jukebox mode, that will be an added bonus.  Or maybe some more modern games with bigger sound at some point.

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • 8 Bit...16 Shy
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:37:30 am »
Those handles will come in handy.  They are nice for tipping the cabinet backwards.

You are making me want to get a router table.   :cheers:

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 09:42:43 pm »
Loving this build!  Oh how I envy you guys with these nice shops.  All I had for my build was a 12v drill, cheap circular saw, and a hand router. Lol

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Buy a Multimeter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 06:33:20 am »
That is pretty much all you need to build an arcade machine.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:54 pm »
Thanks - and I agree.  Having a nice shop is not a requirement for this type of construction, but it makes things faster and more accurate in a lot of ways.
A drill, router, circular saw would be the minimum.. 
a jig saw would be a huge help too.

I'll keep pics coming as I make progress - I've always appreciated when others puts many pics.  I've copied plenty of ideas from them.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 06:45:40 pm »
Made some more progress over the last couple days.

My plan all along was to box & insulate the speakers.  Here I added rails and a back panel to enclose the top coaxial speakers.

A box within a box.

Same plan for the subwoofer (also quite inexpensive)

Simple 12 x 12 x 4 box over it.  They will get wired and insulated during final assembly.

My next task was to create a bezel for the monitor (32" LCD)..  I was able to gently pop off the bezel for the monitor itself.  This will allow it to mate up flush to the 1/2" MDF I'm using in the cabinet.

The plan was simple - draw the line on the MDF blank that I needed - precut with a jig saw - the finish cutting on the router table using a fence to get it straight.

Here you see the fence on the left - cutting a straight line.. and...

The router bit grabbed because I was going against the cutter direction and pulled right through the bezel...  ok  .. Now I'll do it the right way..  after a trip to the Depot to buy another 2x4x1/2" MDF.

This time I double stick taped guide blocks to the (new) cutout.

Then used the pattern bit to follow the guide to get my opening..

Since I was able to get the bezel off of the LCD - I wanted my bezel to have a little bit of angle on the opening..  I had a 14deg dovetail bit. 

I'm doing the exact thing that caused the first MDF failure - using the fence and trying not to accidentally pull the work into the bit..  Howver - I'm taking off much less material with the dovetail bit.  I'm making sure the piece can't lift with the feather board..  and.. I'm routing in the proper direction with the bit.
I started in a corner, started the router and lowered the bit down to get the cut profile.

I was very careful to keep it tight against the fence and create the profile.

Then you have to stop in the corner, turn the router off, move the fence, turn the piece to the new side against the fence and repeat for all 4 sides.

The color is off for some reason - I used some blocking and mounted the monitor directly to the bezel and connected the PC to it..  I'll be painting it black and covering with a smoked tempered glass..   

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31