Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Non-wood alternatives?  (Read 4038 times)

DssTrainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2018, 11:10:12 am
Non-wood alternatives?
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:52:50 am »
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on other non-wood alternatives to the usual plywood/birch/mdf.

I've seen a couple make of clear acrylic to get that see through effect, and a set made from 1/2" PVC sheets. Any other ideas? There are so many plastics out there it's hard to know what is strong enough to be a viable wood replacement, all while keeping the price down.

JamesTKirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2018, 09:09:02 pm
  • Boldly go .....
Re: Non-wood alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:00:13 am »
I've considered building out of solid phenolic panels before. Something like Wilsonart SPC. They are solid phenolic with almost any plastic laminate decorated sheet fused to the surface. The 1/2" thick stuff is what I've seen cabinets and lockers built out of. Only trouble with the stuff is it is not cheap, it is heavy, and you need carbide tools to fabricate it with. But it is practically bulletproof and can be very good looking. Formica has a similar product and so does Trespa.

Wilsonart's website says:
Wilsonart SPC is a HPL compact board with high impact strength, particularly high
resistance against water, steam, and moisture; therefore, it is suitable for both interior and
exterior works (exterior grade). All the variety of designs can be chosen to make one-sided or two-sided SPC. The designs are varied from solid colors, woodgrain, stone and graphic designs. Due to the excellent
material characteristics described above, Wilsonart SPC can be used almost without restrictions
for various applications such as interior wall feature, exterior wall, claddings, bathroom furniture,
shower room partitions, toilet cubicle, elevator walls, escalator claddings, balcony cladding,
partitions, kitchen countertops, shelves, doors and direction signage.