Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So how are you guys doing on Mario Odyssey?  (Read 7044 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
So how are you guys doing on Mario Odyssey?
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:53:32 am »
So the game was great... I spent two weeks on it and I'm still not 100% complete.  I'm on the final level..... I can make it about 3/4 of the way through now.  I don't think I can stomach collecting all 999 moons though.  The game doesn't feel nearly as big as we were made to believe from the previews, but the worlds are very rich and unique from each other.  It really has a Mario 64 vibe to it, which isn't a bad thing at all.  I also like collecting clothes far more often than I should. 

So far the switch games are great but you know, I can't say I'm very fond of the console itself.  The two console gimmick is great.... if you want two consoles.  I just want a home console for the most part.  I find the joycons to be too tiny, and I've got really small hands.  That coupled with the extreme width of the tablet makes it very unwieldy in portable mode.  I got a pro controller and I've used that almost exclusively.  Also the portable-centric design makes the home console experience kind of sub-par.  The tablet kind of wobbles in it's dock, getting game cards out is a bit fiddly, getting sd cards out is impossible without removing the console, ect.  I've gotta say, I liked the wii u better.  It looked and played rather unremarkably, but the tablet controller was thick enough to hold onto with buttons large enough to use easily. 

Ultimately the games are the important thing and the switch certainly has those, but I think in a lot of ways this console was a downgrade.  I do like the hd rumble and it has a good quality screen in portable mode. 

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: So how are you guys doing on Mario Odyssey?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:44:48 am »
Thanks for the Mini review Howard.
I was toying with the idea of getting one for shiz n gigs when the prices come down on them.

Ime in no hurry my PS4 keeps me busy lol

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:16:08 am »
I really enjoy it but i hardly get to play. My wife wanted to play with me (not 2 player, just taking turns) so now i can only play when we both are home at the same time, but also home together early enough to play before one of us habing to go to bed for work. She works mornings and i mostly work afternoons.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:26:52 am »
Those Amiibos work with that game?

Dont have a switch, dont know if I will. Right now there's only a handful of games on the system I want, and I don't want them bad enough to get a switch right now. I'm enjoying Tales of Berseria right now on PC and I still need to go back and finish Blood and Wine on the greatest game ever made, the Witcher 3.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:46:47 am by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:39:03 am »
Report I’m getting from the one friend that’s actually played it - the controllers are terrible and Mario Odyssey is really easy. 

The graphics on that game look terrible.  It’s going to be a long time before I buy one and I’m one of those early adopter suckers.

:dunno

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:47:20 am »
Picked one up along with Mario Odyssey over the holidays and love them both.

I think the 'two console gimmick' is fantastic, I enjoy it more than I than I thought I would. I never take it out of the house but have played in several locations around the house and find it liberating to be able to move the console around so easily.

I like the fact that it doesn't lock into the dock because it's easier to remove. Yes, the joycons are a bit small (kids were a consideration I'm sure) but there are multiple ways to change them up to fit your needs. Plus it's great not having to hunch over a controller and playing with them split is super comfortable. I prefer the sleekness of it compared to the fat Wii U both aesthetically and functionally. The graphics terrible on Odyssey!? Uh, no.

Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 02:50:33 pm »
Good graphics in a mario game? Who needs it. Looks fine to me. It could be a polygon mess, but as long as the gameplay is fun i will bite.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:57:57 pm »
Good graphics in a mario game? Who needs it. Looks fine to me. It could be a polygon mess, but as long as the gameplay is fun i will bite.

^^ Yup and the gameplay is spot on.

Even subjectively though I'm not sure how someone could look at the Odyssey graphics and say they're terrible, that isn't a complaint I've heard. I don't find the controllers terrible either, I rather like them, but I can understand how some wouldn't.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 05:08:43 pm »
Yeah pbj must need glasses again.  Odyssey looks and plays amazing and if he thinks it's easy, I'm guessing he hasn't collected enough moons.....you need 500 to get to the final stage.  I just wish it were bigger is all.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 05:10:49 pm »
Those Amiibos work with that game?

Dont have a switch, dont know if I will. Right now there's only a handful of games on the system I want, and I don't want them bad enough to get a switch right now. I'm enjoying Tales of Berseria right now on PC and I still need to go back and finish Blood and Wine on the greatest game ever made, the Witcher 3.

Yes they work great thank you for sending them.  Wedding Peach is particularly useful because she gives you a heart every time you scan her, even if it's in the middle of a stage.  I've been using her to practice on the final stage, which I still can't beat yet even with the help. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:24:20 pm »
As previously stated, I haven't played it, just repeating what I heard on a 4 mile pokemon walk with a friend.  The graphics are Xbox 360 level, though.   :lol

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 05:35:17 pm »
Yeah pbj must need glasses again.  Odyssey looks and plays amazing and if he thinks it's easy, I'm guessing he hasn't collected enough moons.....you need 500 to get to the final stage.  I just wish it were bigger is all.

I'm finding the difficulty about right, challenging but not frustratingly so. You can up the challenge by exploring and collecting more. I just finished New Donk City which was particularly impressive, running Mario around an urban environment with humans is good times. The game mechanics with the hat controlling objects is clever and varies the gameplay quite a bit, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

As previously stated, I haven't played it, just repeating what I heard on a 4 mile pokemon walk with a friend.  The graphics are Xbox 360 level, though.   :lol

So Xbox 360 graphics were terrible? I think you're getting spoiled, I haven't seen truly 'terrible' graphics in a game for at least 10 years. 

Also... 4 mile pokemon walk?  :laugh2:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 08:18:02 pm »
It’s 9 stops on a half mile loop.  Though I do enjoy the irony of a grown man ridiculing another one’s choice in baby toys.  Both enduring and perpetuating.   :lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 09:44:17 pm »
Well the point is man, your buddy has poor taste... don't listen to that guy. ;) Most people are calling breath of the wild game of the year with odyssey coming in a close second and I would say that is pretty accurate.  There aren't a lot of first party games on the switch yet, but they frikkin nailed the ones they did release.  The only problem is a lot of them were released on the wii u, so if you already have a wii u, you might not be as impressed. 

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 01:11:00 am »
It’s 9 stops on a half mile loop.  Though I do enjoy the irony of a grown man ridiculing another one’s choice in baby toys.  Both enduring and perpetuating.   :lol

Haha, touché. I'm not sure where pokemon walking is on the nerd scale but it's probably more defensible than most since you're at least getting exercise. Actually I probably wouldn't have mentioned it but for the fact that you're one of the bigger ridiculers on here so I find your comment about the irony of it ironic. Do what you dig bro, do what you dig. :cheers: 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 11:47:57 am »
Well the point is man, your buddy has poor taste... don't listen to that guy. ;) Most people are calling breath of the wild game of the year with odyssey coming in a close second and I would say that is pretty accurate.  There aren't a lot of first party games on the switch yet, but they frikkin nailed the ones they did release.  The only problem is a lot of them were released on the wii u, so if you already have a wii u, you might not be as impressed.

We all know I'll eventually get one.

I'd give the GOTY nod to Horizon Zero Dawn, personally.  I can recognize that Breath of the Wild was an interesting take on Zelda but that was not the game for me.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 03:07:23 pm »
For me it was time.   I can't justify the bigger gaming purchases year round and by this time next year I might be wanting the xbox one x upgrade or something.  It really depends upon if this tv craps out or not.... I'm certainly not going to buy another 1080p tv when I can get a 4k for pretty much the same price. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 08:47:24 pm »
I got to the dessert level then couldn't get past the giant bullets stage. lol.
Yes, I suck at video games.
well the coordination it takes to do the moves.
I can usually figure out what I need to do but but I always overshoot my mark and ping-pong all over on games like this one.

My youngest loves it.
I was impressed by the level with the singing and the donkey kong game.
well mostly just the singing act.
It was like a cut scene but you were playing through it.

last i saw my kid had mario in a space suit.

I like you can pick it up and take it with you.
the controllers do seem a bit small but i can use them.

I saw skyream is available for switch.
that i could get into.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 09:58:58 am »
I might have to pick up a Switch. The last console I owned was the NES.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:00:32 am by Mike A »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 10:03:09 am »
that i could get into.

I didn't know the switch had adult games. ;D

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 10:06:26 am »

You are dead to me.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 10:17:24 am »
 :'(

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 10:20:37 am »
I was a computer gamer. I loved my C64 and my Amiga.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 11:05:47 am »

You missed out on many good games!!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 11:16:16 am »

I am sure I did. There are only so many hours in a day. I  spent most of them outside as a kid.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 11:17:58 am »

I am sure I did. There are only so many hours in a day. I  spent most of them outside as a kid.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I did also but ime not a kid anymore and prefer to laze around in the warmth and comfort of my house lol

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:31 am »
I haven't missed out on consoles entirely. My college roommate has a SNES. We played that some. We tended to gravitate to the PC. X-wing and Star Control 2 were played a lot. Doom was big when I was in college. I bought my son a Wii several years ago. I played that a little. After that I bought him an Xbox 360. I tried playing FPS games. It wasn't pretty. So I guess I technically own those 2 consoles. I just play them very little.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 12:21:44 pm »
that i could get into.

I didn't know the switch had adult games. ;D

me neither. if it matter's you can use amiibo's to change your characters clothes.

Same.
C64 > Amiga > Windows 95 gaming when my Amiga said adios and nobody was left to fix it.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 12:50:47 pm »

You are alive to me

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 07:20:35 pm »
I feel like people spend too much time looking for the bad in things these days. Its like my brother that hates every movie he sees. I can watch any movie and find some good in it, same with games. I have never hated a game, i have found some less enjoyable than others. Even the worst games can be fun to play and make fun of.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 10:58:11 am »
Taking my time with it, but its hard to stop playing.

I dragged my feet getting a Switch. I wish I hadn't. It's fantastic.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 12:31:03 pm »
I feel like people spend too much time looking for the bad in things these days. Its like my brother that hates every movie he sees. I can watch any movie and find some good in it, same with games. I have never hated a game, i have found some less enjoyable than others. Even the worst games can be fun to play and make fun of.

^^ Agreed

I dragged my feet getting a Switch. I wish I hadn't. It's fantastic.

Same boat, I waited awhile thinking the price might dip but it didn't and now given the popularity I doubt they will for awhile. They just announced some interesting games and DLC too, I like Mario Tennis but Soccer is probably 10x more popular in the world so where's the new Super Mario Strikers announcement!!  :lol

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 11:24:38 am »
I heard about it