Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Grid....  (Read 181567 times)

bperkins01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
Re: The Grid....
« Reply #360 on: September 30, 2019, 12:31:56 pm »
Yea...  I'm just instigating...
(always buy more tools)
 :P
 :cheers: Mike A
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #361 on: September 30, 2019, 12:47:15 pm »
If he listens to me he will be living on the street. Huddled under a tarp tied between his unfinished cab and an Asteroids cab that he was specifically instructed by me to purchase.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #362 on: September 30, 2019, 12:53:49 pm »
"I think your new friends are a bad influence..  I don't want you hanging around with them any more...."
but .. but.. but ...  but .. but...

:angel:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:25 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #363 on: September 30, 2019, 12:55:33 pm »
Man. There's some skilled builds happening at the moment. This one passed me by for some reason but consider me subscribed!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #364 on: September 30, 2019, 03:23:13 pm »
If you already have a cordless drill that works you really have no need for a drill with a brushless motor. Don't fall for marketing hype.
If you need more power than your cordless can provide than just use a corded drill.

Good advice, I only thought of it cause the battery isn't holding a charge as well as it did (It's about 11 years old now), and figured it may be a good long term investment.....I'll hold off until the wife is out of town ;D.

Man that looks nice---especially when the picture is expanded to full size.  Looking forward to seeing the carcass put together.   :cheers:

Cheers wp34.  It feels like it's never going to end, but being able to put parts together without errors from previous work is making it all worth it.

I think if you screw the coin door in place, use some foam across the length of the curved area and then a board across that.  You can use some clamps on the side and some zip ties to pull the board into the clamp for pressure while the glue dries. 

As always good advice bperkins, I gotta get more details from you.  I hope to tackle this one soon as it would feel really good to put this challenge behind me. 

If he listens to me he will be living on the street. Huddled under a tarp tied between his unfinished cab and an Asteroids cab that he was specifically instructed by me to purchase.

Give me an outhouse and a gas stove to go with it and no nagging, and I might just reach Nirvana.

Man. There's some skilled builds happening at the moment. This one passed me by for some reason but consider me subscribed!

Cheers Mark, I've taken many notes watching your builds, still have them bookmarked for reference.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #365 on: September 30, 2019, 05:41:24 pm »
Just started to dawn on me that there is Arcade Cab building and then there is Arcade Cab BUILDING.

I've always just seen it as a means to play some video games, but with skillz it becomes an art all by itself. Keep it up man!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #366 on: October 07, 2019, 12:28:32 pm »
Wasn’t able to get a whole lot done this weekend.  I prioritized picking up an Asteroids cabinet yesterday and am pretty chuffed about it.  There really is no comparison to seeing it on a vector monitor vs. a raster in Mame.  The bullet shots are stupid bright, almost like a firework.

Anyway I did manage to practice with the new circle jig that I bought for the Makita Palm router.  Here’s a shot of the underside:

The metal cylinder sticking out (silver next to the red bit) acts as a pivot point.  You measure from the outside of the blade to the middle of the metal cylinder and you can get your perfect circles.

First one came out OK, biggest challenge was lowering the bit down steady.   You can see the challenge I has on the left side:

You may be able to tell from the picture, but there is a separate metal cylinder, that you place below so that the pivot point doesn’t move once you get close to completing the circle.  Works surprisingly well once you get the lowering part down:

I also managed to shop for the 3inch PVC pipe I will use to secure to coin door curve against the 11 curvey things and get it glued down with screws and zip ties (thanks bperkins!).  Hopefully I can get to it on Sunday.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #367 on: October 07, 2019, 12:42:53 pm »
Gonna have to get myself one of those circle jigs - I'm forever hacking stuff together to make proper circles - lids, tin cans etc.

One question - is it awkward to move around with the cable hanging from the router? I've recently picked up a little router that's a great little tool when you don't want the weight of a full size one but I'm assuming that using this the whole router is doing a 360 when you cut a circle?

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #368 on: October 07, 2019, 12:43:04 pm »
Nice circle cutter..  WAY better than hole saws..
Good work  :applaud:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #369 on: October 07, 2019, 12:49:07 pm »
I prefer a hole saw for circles up to 5 inches. There is no setup time and it cuts fast and clean. I can see its usefulness for larger circles or cutting arcs.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #370 on: October 07, 2019, 01:00:03 pm »
Gonna have to get myself one of those circle jigs - I'm forever hacking stuff together to make proper circles - lids, tin cans etc.

Would have never guessed it based on the quality of your work. :cheers:

One question - is it awkward to move around with the cable hanging from the router?

The most awkward part was the vacuum hose attachment.  As it is much stiffer and larger it likes to catch on edges, but it really didn't end up being a big deal.  The electrical cord I hardly noticed.

I've recently picked up a little router that's a great little tool when you don't want the weight of a full size one but I'm assuming that using this the whole router is doing a 360 when you cut a circle?

Yup, you spin it around that pivot point, and because the pivot point is secured to a sacrificial piece of wood below it is very stable.  A bit of a setup, but gives you a lot of confidence in making the cut.  BTW this cost me $15 on Aliexpress (well $30 once you count shipping).  I just looked up my model and they have the holes pre-drilled for mounting, but also highlighted that you can drill your own with a blank version.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #371 on: October 07, 2019, 01:05:17 pm »
Nice circle cutter..  WAY better than hole saws..
Good work  :applaud:

I prefer a hole saw for circles up to 5 inches. There is no setup time and it cuts fast and clean. I can see its usefulness for larger circles or cutting arcs.

I'm a fan, but then I'm kinda anal about clean edges.  Mike is right though it does require a lot more setup time.  This hole was 8 inches so kinda necessary.  I also have large holes to do for the speaker cut outs so this tool should pay for itself in spades down the line.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #372 on: October 07, 2019, 01:07:54 pm »
Secure the pivot point below the table?
really?

Mine (may be) a little different..

I just drill a hole in the center of my circle to match the pivot - then plunge the router into the work and cut..  I will often plunge for 1/2 the thickness, cut once, then plunge again and finish.. 
Still a fan of the circle cutters  ;)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #373 on: October 07, 2019, 01:17:43 pm »
Secure the pivot point below the table?
really?

The video online seemed to suggest it wasn't needed:
but when I didn't secure it my router drifted away (only at the very end) and screwed up the circle cause the pivot point wood was no longer attached to anything  :dunno (didn't take pic)

I suppose if you move fast at the end you might be able to whip through the last bit of wood before the pivot point loosens, but I didn't want to chance it.  Granted this was on that very small circle (3 inch), so on a larger circle it may not be an issue, as you could hold the pivot point wood down with your hand.

EDIT: BTW - what I like about this Jig style is not only can it cut holes about as small as possible (considering the width of the bit of course), but it isn't in fixed positions, so there's no limit on getting a specific size.  A lot of circle jigs have fixed mounting point positions, and while this makes it quicker to setup on a predetermined width, it is limiting, especially if something calls for a metric size.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 01:36:01 pm by Arroyo »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #374 on: October 07, 2019, 01:27:25 pm »
oh.. I see..

You can drill right through the part and into the backer board..  and the pivot stays still...
Now I understand..

I did have to do a hole once where I couldn't drill through (boat transom)
This is what I did:

There are 2 small tabs..  I finished cutting them with a small saw by hand..

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #375 on: October 07, 2019, 01:34:11 pm »
oh.. I see..

You can drill right through the part and into the backer board..  and the pivot stays still...
Now I understand..

It may look confusing from my pictures cause the pivot point isn't long enough to go through the wood and into the sacrificial board.  There is a second piece (you can see it in the beginning of the video I linked to), that I used to secure the wood to the sacrificial wood below.  I don't even know if it's designed to do that, but it worked well (the thing doesn't come with instructions).

Nice solution on your boat hole, I'd have scratched my head for awhile on that one.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2019, 02:16:55 pm »
Circle jigs are also a lot more fun than hole saws.   :cheers:

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2019, 05:35:41 pm »
Ah, that's cool. Didn't realize it was adjustable at first, but that makes sense.

Yea, I find that the vacuum hose is usually the thing that gets in the way as well. And then there are the vacuum hose adapters....don't even get me started...

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #378 on: October 07, 2019, 05:53:08 pm »
One question - is it awkward to move around with the cable hanging from the router? I've recently picked up a little router that's a great little tool when you don't want the weight of a full size one but I'm assuming that using this the whole router is doing a 360 when you cut a circle?

Dewalt has come out with a cordless router that I really want but do not need.

https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCW600B-Compact-Router-Tool/dp/B07KSRTDML/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=DEWALT+CORDLESS+ROUTER&qid=1570485002&sr=8-1

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #379 on: October 11, 2019, 06:53:32 pm »
Oooh yeah. The circles I would cut with that thing.  </lies down>  ;D

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #380 on: October 23, 2019, 05:46:45 pm »
Last couple of weekends I’ve been out of town, so I’ve been shifting to trying to get things done during the week.  Bperkins said it best on a couple of other posts….. just getting in the garage and pulling off one thing per night is the way to go, even if it’s only 10 min.

The little progress starts to feel bigger once you can put things together.  I managed to get the rest of my blocking down on the base:

AND…..because of that I was able to finally test the bend on my coin door:

When I clamped that and stood up to see it holding in place without any cracking I was like:

Before I had put the door on I knew I needed to finally do some slot cutting.  I have been dreading this for a long time, as I had issues with drifting when I cut my little control panel box.  On the small box I had used the router table and moved the piece.  The table doesn’t have a perfectly level surface because it has an insert that is adjustable that I have never been able to level. 

Initially I tried the Whiteside 3 wing Arbour that I bought from t-molding.com in my Ryobi, but noticed that the package mentioned the maximum RPM of 16,000, my Ryobi is fixed speed at 24,000, and it felt SCARY.  Decided it would be better to use the new Makita as it has variable speed settings.  Only problem was the standard base it comes with makes it easy to tilt and not stay level with a big bit like that.  So I had the idea to use the same circle jig I bought and it worked great:

This allowed me to confidentially bring the router to the edge with no vertical movement.

To get the correct depth, I used my digital calipers to measure the thickness of the wood (side note this piece actually varied from 18.4mm on one end to 17.7mm on the other).  For this piece I had to take an average.  But I would take the thickness, subtract the bit size (1/16” in this case), and then divide by 2.  I’ve noticed that for Plywood the thickness of each piece can vary and it’s important to measure and adjust your depth if necessary.  Also quick side note I learned the hard way that t-molding can have different spline width’s, and the slot cutter you need to buy is NOT the width of the spline, it’s usually 1/32” less (website you order from usually tells you, I bought form t-molding.com).

Anyway, taking pictures just to confirm before cutting helps:

Always good to see it line up visually.  And after it’s cut:

Lastly had to slap the sides on for a little motivation just to see how it looks:

More to come……..

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #381 on: October 23, 2019, 06:21:59 pm »
Looking great!

How's that little Shop Vac?! Looks so tiny! But must be nice for hauling around.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #382 on: October 23, 2019, 06:43:25 pm »
Great work Arroyo.  That bend in the front turned out great.   :cheers:

Your idea to use the circle jig to support the router is brilliant.  I will be stealing that.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #383 on: October 23, 2019, 07:14:55 pm »
Looking good sir!

Here is the lazy mans way of cutting that slot:

Grab a piece of scrap wood
Put the router up to it and manually adjust the bit until it looks like it is in the middle
Cut a test slot
Flip the board over, move the router over to the slot and see if the bit slides in easily
  - if it does - you are centered - cut away
  - if not - move the bit 50% of the difference and repeat.

No math or calipers.
Loving the work!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #384 on: October 23, 2019, 11:55:30 pm »
Looking good brother.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #385 on: October 24, 2019, 11:22:17 am »
Cheers fellas  :cheers:

How's that little Shop Vac?! Looks so tiny! But must be nice for hauling around.

MikeA suggested I get the strongest Shop Vac I could find, ironically the smaller one they had at Lowe's was the most powerful at 6HP.  It holds 5 gallons, but yeah the long term plan is to buy a much larger Dust extractor/separator like a Cyclone or something.

Your idea to use the circle jig to support the router is brilliant.  I will be stealing that.

It works surprisingly well, I have always worried about the router tilting on me when making cuts (it really hasn't been a big deal), but with this attached it feels rock solid approaching a cut.

No math or calipers.

No math?

Looking good brother.
   :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #386 on: October 24, 2019, 11:37:22 am »
If you have a good cyclone hardly anything will end up in the shop vac.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #387 on: October 24, 2019, 01:42:15 pm »
Looking good Arroyo!  Starting to really come together.   :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #388 on: October 25, 2019, 08:24:22 am »

Do I dare ask about Jack Attack?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #389 on: October 28, 2019, 02:09:12 pm »

Do I dare ask about Jack Attack?

You may not.   ;D 

My daughter's room is almost finished.  One more coat of paint.  Never again - WAY too big of a project for me to juggle with job, kid activities, etc.  It looks nice though.   :cry:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #390 on: November 01, 2019, 05:09:24 pm »
My daughter's room is almost finished.  One more coat of paint. :cry:

Better post some pics on the Jack Attack thread so Jack can remember why he didn't get his machine on time  >:D

Kids had soccer games all weekend so I only got a window of time to work on the hinges that are for a flap on the Marquee.  Used the same SOSS hinges that I did on the small control panel.  This time though I used different techniques for cutting them so I figured I’d post as they came out much better.

Cut those using the same circle jig that I recently picked up.  It has two metal circular stubs that you screw in and use to keep the router in center line on a flat surface (see the video I linked to above to see it in action):

Couldn’t use the same tool for the piece that it connects to because it has an angled cut.  So I used the tilting base of the router and some wood blocking as a guide:

Came out good, but not quite as good as the other:

Here it is closed:

And opened:

Also picked up this flexible drill extension.  I was getting tired of having to screw the blocking in and out by hand with a ratchet and extension.  I didn’t have much hopes that this would work well but it actually worked surprisingly well.  You need two hands, but it works for unscrewing and re-screwing, probably not so great for the initial screw.

Should get some time this weekend to make more progress.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #391 on: November 01, 2019, 06:57:42 pm »
Screwing is difficult with a bent and wobbly shaft. You know they have a pill for that.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #392 on: November 01, 2019, 07:21:42 pm »
You need two hands, but it works for unscrewing and re-screwing, probably not so great for the initial screw.

%Bartop

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #393 on: November 01, 2019, 07:49:58 pm »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #394 on: November 01, 2019, 08:15:09 pm »
You really did ask for that..   :o

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #395 on: November 02, 2019, 09:20:51 am »
Love those hinges.  Where did you come across those?
Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #396 on: November 02, 2019, 10:30:07 am »
Love those hinges.  Where did you come across those?
Mike

A guy at Rockler turned me on to them.  They scale all the way up to a standard door size (in fact I believe that’s where they made their mark).  The company has been around a long time and has a lot of street credit, again according to Rockler. 

Here’s the company’s website:

https://www.soss.com

And here’s a link to the ones I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008C7BMP0/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_UezVDbJ9EX0EE

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #397 on: November 04, 2019, 11:47:41 am »

Couldn’t use the same tool for the piece that it connects to because it has an angled cut.  So I used the tilting base of the router and some wood blocking as a guide:

Okay that is cool.  Did that base come with your router?

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #398 on: November 04, 2019, 12:19:53 pm »
That's damn slick. Is that for the top of the cabinet, not sure which part you are hinging?

The hinges on my control panel are not so complex,  but I was pretty happy with how they lie pretty close to flat.

You also reminded me that I *NEED* to buy one of those bendy screwdriver attachments. Where'd you get yours?

Awesome work, man.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #399 on: November 04, 2019, 12:59:28 pm »
Okay that is cool.  Did that base come with your router?

Yup it's part of the "package" for Makita's palm router if you buy the multi base set.  Here's a link:  Makita Palm Router

In retrospect I would probably just buy the "kit with one base" which comes with the plunge base as well and then buy the titling base separately....although you don't get the cool carrying bag  ::)

That's damn slick. Is that for the top of the cabinet, not sure which part you are hinging?

It's the very front of the Marquee.  I'm installing to allow access for cleaning as the marquee image will be recessed from the front glass.  It will be a 3d angled image with a gap to the front.....will probably make more sense when I get to that stage and can post pics.

You also reminded me that I *NEED* to buy one of those bendy screwdriver attachments. Where'd you get yours?

Yeah they work surprisingly well, definitely a little lighter on overall torque, but with the distance I suppose that's to be expected.  I got them here
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 02:59:12 pm by Arroyo »