Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Grid....  (Read 182462 times)

bperkins01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
Re: The Grid....(Redesign)
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2018, 08:22:20 am »
Very cool!  I had too look at it a few times to see what you were doing..  Maybe you can get someone with a CNC router when it comes time to make the full sized panel?
If I ever build a new CP - I want to do this  :)

Keep going!
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2018, 03:34:03 pm »
That looks amazing Arroyo.  You really hand-routed that with a Dremel?  Most impressive.   :cheers:

Actually wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be once I cut out the plastic on the Polyurethane, kept me from going outside the lines.  That Dremel work was probably about 30-45min, not too bad.

Very nice!!!  :applaud:

Thanks bud.

Very cool!  I had too look at it a few times to see what you were doing..  Maybe you can get someone with a CNC router when it comes time to make the full sized panel?
If I ever build a new CP - I want to do this  :)
Keep going!

What I like about this is that the black areas stay completely black, and only the areas you want to glow do.  As with most of these things it’s hard to photograph, but it is exactly the look I was going for.
I may have a line on a place that can laser etch a large area, I’m talking to them about doing a test with this control box, if all goes well I can ditch the Dremel work, I’m not much of an arts and crafts kind of guy.  :angry:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2018, 03:39:08 pm »
How large of an area do you need to laser etch?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2018, 03:58:46 pm »
How large of an area do you need to laser etch?

Control panel width, so at least 17”x 35”.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2018, 04:08:47 pm »
If you can't find someone I might be able to pull that off. My laser has a pass through. The problem is that the adjustable height bed has play in it. I am working out a solution. Right now I can't index a spot move the piece further in and retain positioning.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2018, 04:18:31 pm »
If you can't find someone I might be able to pull that off. My laser has a pass through. The problem is that the adjustable height bed has play in it. I am working out a solution. Right now I can't index a spot move the piece further in and retain positioning.

Gotcha, let me know if you think you can pull it off.  Thanks for the offer!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2018, 10:04:26 pm »
Wow - haven't checked in here in a while... this is so cool.  The etching looks awesome and the whole thing is super clean.   :applaud:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2018, 03:41:15 pm »
My laser work area is 19 inches wide. The laser needs to swing at least an inch past the etching by an inch on each side to slow down and reverse direction. I can override that by slowing the laser head down. I am going to rig up a solid non moving base for the pass-through. I will know by the end of the weekend if this will work. My laser machine adjusts the Z height by moving the floor up and down. It is not rigid like a CNC Z axis. Once I have the floor immobilized I will be able to index and pass longer stock through. In theory I will be able to do your etching. I will keep you posted.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2018, 01:59:01 pm »
I have stabilized my Z axis. I think I can do that CP for you. Send me the appropriate files and I can give it a shot.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2018, 03:53:00 pm »
Wow - haven't checked in here in a while... this is so cool.  The etching looks awesome and the whole thing is super clean.   :applaud:
Thanks bud, it’s a work in progress but I’m digging it so far.

I have stabilized my Z axis. I think I can do that CP for you. Send me the appropriate files and I can give it a shot.

PM sent.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2018, 09:23:48 am »
MikeA came through big time!

Laser etched the image:

Graphics applied:

Close up so you can see the contrast:

Unintended cool byproduct is a reflected image off the Acrylic that gives it a 3D look (didn't bother to clean up the dust sorry about that):

Assuming we can pull this off on a larger scale I'm running with this technique.

Thanks Mike!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2018, 09:33:26 am »
That is crazy good work! 

Great collaboration!  love it.
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2018, 09:40:21 am »
Looks fantastic.   :cheers:

Scotty_C

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 02:54:51 pm
  • The addiction is strong!!
« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2018, 09:54:47 am »
Now that looks bad ass!!!  Nice job

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2018, 10:21:55 am »
That looks way better than I thought it would.
That is a very creative idea to merge laser etching with conventional artwork.  :notworthy:
I look forward to helping you kill some of those brain cells at Zapcon. I hope you like bourbon.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2018, 07:33:59 pm »
Cheers fellas. :cheers:  I’m diggin it.

@MikeA - will definitely drink bourbon or anything put in front of me... ;)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2019, 12:43:00 am »
Well I guess I wasn’t lying when I said I would post at a slow pace :-)

Spent a lot of time thinking about how I wanted to move forward and been doing a lot of experimenting.  Got some results I like and almost getting to the point of calling it done so I can move on to ya know building an actual arcade cabinet.

First thing was securing the screws into the mounting plate so I can swap out controllers.  Considered welding at one point, but it’s complicated without using the same materials (i.e. all steel, oh and I don’t own a welder might be a problem as well…hmmmmm), so instead started researching epoxies.  Seemed pretty good from what I read so decided to give it a shot.  First thing I read was that you get a stronger bond with a roughed up surface:

Busted out the J.B. Weld slow drying epoxy:

Mixed equal parts, used a piece of Acrylic to mix it together (wood stick probably would have been better), applied to the countersunk holes in the mounting plate and put the screws through till they were flush.  Noticed that I got some epoxy on the threads of the screw and quickly wiped off (would have been better to have used some plastic wrap to protect the threads).  Let it dry over 15 hours and:

Man this stuff is crazy strong.  It held up well to multiple attempts to over tighten the wing nuts I’m using

Side note: to quickly cut the Acrylic I used this tool that I picked up from Tap Plastics:

Instead of needing a special blade on a table saw, you just use this and a straight edge.  Make a few swipes till you get a decent depth, and then snap the remaining part over a straight ledge.  You get a very clean cut.

Anyway….

Needed to drill out the hole in the center of the mounting plate because I needed to fit the addressable (WS2812) ring LED that I will be using to light up the center of the joysticks.  Made a 1 1/8” forester hole through wood as a guide, and then used a 1 1/8” hole saw to make the cut (I did this before the epoxy FWIW):

With that out of the way, I put the mounting plate back into the CP wood to finally be able to make a permanent install:

I’ve been using a white piece of paper behind the laser etched Acrylic (thanks again MikeA!), but needed something more permanent.  Picked up some Oracle 651 Matte White Vinyl:

Did what most guys do and used a sharp Exacto knife and followed the edges to cut it to size:

Cut out the etched Acrylic using the router mounted to the router table and used a flush trim bit to follow the wood outline:

I think I mentioned it before, but I love using this double sided adhesive (3M Scotch double sided mounting tape), it’s crazy strong, so much that you only need just a little before it becomes almost impossible to pull it back apart.  It makes pattern cutting very easy though.

Next I put the etched acrylic on top:

Then applied the graphics between the two pieces of acrylic and used the same Exacto knife then to cutout the holes:

I forgot to mention that while I was routing the etched Acrylic I had to do two things.  I needed to shave off around 1/32” all around so that it would create a gap between the top layer acrylic and the wood layer:

You can see that ever so slight offset of the lower plastic from the top and bottom above, that where the edge lighting from the LED’s is accounted for so as to not bulge the T-Moulding. 

Also broke out the Map Gas Torch to make the edges optically clear for the LED’s (no I did not do it this way, the flame is far from the stuff around it) ;D

Next was putting the buttons in.  The buttons act as a clamp for all of the layers and hold things together.  The only problem I had was getting the lighting I wanted on the buttons.  The side lighting from the LED’s lit up the buttons from the sides and washed out the colors from below.  Looks cool without the buttons in:

It seemed simple enough to line the hole with some Oracle 651 matte black vinyl to block the light.  It worked, however I got a tunnel problem on the buttons where the light wouldn’t spread out to fill the edges:

I thought to use some mirror vinyl to help, and it did but still not quite perfect:

It got better as I lowered the mirror vinyl down from being flush with the surface allowing the light to bounce more to the sides and reach the edges of the buttons.  Still not being satisfied I decided to break out a router bit I’d been meaning try.

1/16” roundover to give a smooth edge to the button holes helped a lot (I tired many other things including black vinyl rings below the graphics, and all sorts of combos), this worked best:

I also used the roundover on the joystick hole so that it would have a smooth edge and not markup a clear dust washer.

More to come………
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:47:41 am by Arroyo »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2019, 05:05:42 am »
Nice work.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2019, 11:33:44 am »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2019, 12:05:03 am »
Nice work.
That looks so fantastic.   :applaud:

Cheers fellas.

Continuing with buttoning this up, I needed to get the side lit LED’s mounted into the sides while not compromising the T-moulding.  As mentioned on my previous post I used the wood sides and shortened the middle layer of etched acrylic by roughly 1/32” on all sides to allow a channel for the LED’s to sit so they wouldn’t bulge out the sides and push out the T-moulding:

This is a cool white 24V LED strip I got off of AliExpress and it fortunately is just the right width to fit. 

As I laid down the LED strip in the channel I braced it with black vinyl to hold it place so that I could apply the T-moulding.

Then I came around with the T-moulding:

Got a little tricky around the routed area for the hinges and the corners, but as others have done I cut the spine to make it fit.

Slapped in a Sanwa JLF just to see how it all looks:

You can see the LED ring around the joystick which fits perfectly in a 1 1/8” hole.

To try and keep this all compact I ordered a NanoLED addressable LED controller from Ultimarc.  I hadn’t really seen anyone use one in a build before. What I found out was that it wasn’t quite working with LED blinky.  I’ve been helping Andy and Arzoo with some testing in the background and we’ve made pretty good progress.  The WS2812 ring LED works perfect, and I’m experiment with some individual WS2812b LED’s under the buttons.

What’s nice about using addressable LED’s vs non is that you can get a clean wiring job (albeit a pain in the ass):

I’ve found that it’s always best to pre-solder the pads, and the tips of the wires (so the strands don’t fray).

I used 22AWG wire and then sleeved them with some heat shrink tubing:

Unlike the ring LED’s I’m having troubles controlling the individual WS2812b ones, it may be a bad solder joint we’ll see.

I also wanted to mess with how to handle the dust washer.  The plan was to use the same ring graphics and light them different colors underneath but I’m not sure if it works:

I had the idea to try some diffusing Acrylic, and picked up some 69% transparency white acrylic that matches the existing white ring.  I’m thinking of burying this just above the ring LED and putting a clear dust washer over the top. Cutting the acrylic that precise that small probably can only be done with a laser cutter……MikeA is becoming my new best friend. ;D

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2019, 06:44:04 pm »
You got some good stuff happening there.  I perk up when I see led work.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2019, 08:11:34 pm »
Very nice  :)   

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2019, 12:51:46 am »
Great innovation on the  lighting module built around the stick.  I have used those same surface mount LEDS in other projects myself, fiddly but great for tight spaces.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2019, 08:31:48 am »
Cheers fellas :cheers:

So I’ve finally finished this thing…..1 year for a control panel box.  Lets see, add the 5 carry the 2…..looks like I should have this build buttoned up by 2040.  :laugh2:

Anyway.

I wanted to keep the lighting really confined to just the graphics.  It’s really easy to get light bleed on the edges so I bought some Black 2.0 (supposedly the blackest paint you can buy), and painted the outside edge of the top layer of Acrylic, and the inner ring around the joystick:

I should have used black acrylic paint which I only later found out when talking with folks at Tap Plastics.  The other thing I will change when building the actual panel is not cutting the graphics so close to the edge.  There is still small areas of light bleed, that had I left the graphics to stick out some it would have covered over the LED’s better and not allowed any light in.

Got to wiring.  I needed to get 24V from my power supply down to 5V for the USB hub and for the lighting in the buttons and joysticks (the cool white LED’s around the edges are 24V).  I bought these cool DC to DC power converters off Amazon:

Theres a potentiometer at the top that you use a screw head to dial the voltage you want.  I used 2 so I could also adjust the lighting for the panel (full 24V is a little too bright). 

Had to cut, strip, and solder the USB mount to make it all fit:

One of the things I really wanted to do with this and the build is make hot swapping joysticks easy.  I put in the universal mounting plate to make that easy, and I also am using wing nut screws so you can pull out and swap a joystick without needing any tools.  The only problem was handling the wiring.  So based on what I had read on Nephasth’s posts in his Two Headed Beast log, I went hunting for Molex parts and picked these up:

I bought a couple of crimpers and a wire stripper.  The wire stripper ended up being terrible, at least for 22AWG wire which I used throughout.  Don’t buy this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072J62TBN/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But one of the crimpers I bought ended up being perfect for crimping the Molex connectors and 0.187" Quick disconnects:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMM4YUY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Completed wiring with heat shrink tubing (some not shrunk yet in pic):

That's the Ultimarc NanoLED controller in the middle that controls all of the button and joystick lighting, and the Ultimarc MiniPac for the controls.

And completed panel:

Lit:

Now it’s clean out the garage, and this office I’ve been using, head to Zapcon, and start working on the actual build when I get back.

Also don't think I mentioned it before but I'm keeping track of all of the parts I'm buying and have built an Excel sheet with links, descriptions, pictures, and cost that I plan on uploading when completed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:17:15 pm by Arroyo »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: April 10, 2019, 09:44:02 am »
WOW this came out sick looking.  Really nice job - the lighting effects are super cool.  I also like how neat you were with all the wiring... something I'll have to aim for.   22 gauge wiring must have been a pain to get just right.  How many times did you cut the wire in half when you were just trying to strip it?  Seems to happen to me a lot more than it should!  :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: April 10, 2019, 11:35:45 am »
That looks amazing!  Just brilliant.     :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

I'm going to go throw rocks at my CP tonight.    >:D

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2019, 07:11:36 pm »
22 gauge wiring must have been a pain to get just right.  How many times did you cut the wire in half when you were just trying to strip it?

If those damn strippers would have worked it would have been a breeze :angry:  I ended up using my Exacto which is accurate but slow.

I'm going to go throw rocks at my CP tonight.    >:D

LOL, I love your panel, inspired me to build this one!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: April 11, 2019, 09:44:51 am »
If those damn strippers would have worked it would have been a breeze :angry:  I ended up using my Exacto which is accurate but slow.

Always blame the strippers!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2019, 10:07:22 am »
NEVER blame the strippers. You will wake up in a bathtub full of ice.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: April 11, 2019, 10:34:53 pm »
Nice work  - Inspirational  :applaud:

Now - a little faster please - 2040 is way after Year 2038 problem and the internet will be dead...

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2019, 09:11:58 am »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2019, 12:19:17 am »
Garage is clean.....so there's no more excuses. 

Been consulting with bperkins01 on some wood working stuff (dude built a boat :o), should get to cutting soon, hopefully this weekend.  Plan is to start with the sides:

Gotta buy wood, print plans, and setup the tools....for some reason starting is the hardest part.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2019, 01:40:09 am »
The Titanic was a boat.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2019, 01:44:22 am »
The Titanic was a boat.

Don’t you sleep?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2019, 01:46:30 am »
My sump pump alarm went off 30 minutes ago. I had to clean the water sensor contact off. I get up for work in another two hours. I might just go in now.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #195 on: May 29, 2019, 01:48:47 am »
My sump pump alarm went off 30 minutes ago. I had to clean the water sensor contact off. I get up for work in another two hours. I might just go in now.

Uh huh, did somebody have a couple cocktails tonight?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2019, 01:51:08 am »
No. You posted that you were going to actually start building something and it woke me from a dead sleep.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2019, 03:37:25 am »
That lighting setup is elaborate and awesome, and the resulting effect just looks beautiful.  Great work, from design through execution.   :cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #198 on: May 29, 2019, 05:05:31 am »
Looking forward to the upcoming woodwork pics, brother!  :cheers: Good luck!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #199 on: May 29, 2019, 10:36:38 am »
No. You posted that you were going to actually start building something and it woke me from a dead sleep.

Love you honey, sorry I woke you…….. :-*

That lighting setup is elaborate and awesome, and the resulting effect just looks beautiful.  Great work, from design through execution.   :cheers:

Well at least it’s different.  I wanted to make sure the lighting went all the way to the edges of the panel, and I also wanted to eliminate any shadowing of Joysticks, and trackballs that I’ve seen when people have done this from lighting underneath.  Also gives a nice color contrast in the controlled lighting with the laser etching.

Looking forward to the upcoming woodwork pics, brother!  :cheers: Good luck!

Cheers brotha, I’ll try not to disappoint.