Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Grid....  (Read 181570 times)

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: The Grid....(Redesign)
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2018, 12:13:18 pm »
Just finished a full writeup (tutorial) of the rotating monitor in case anyone wanted to see the details:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156671.0.html

Redid the back plate as I wanted to add a bearing to the shaft:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:05:37 pm by Arroyo »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2018, 09:10:43 am »
Big fan of all the fun stuff you are doing - thanks for the pics!
I didn't play the Tron game..  I have to figure out what the discs are all about  ;)
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2018, 12:01:18 pm »
Loving that new design.  Let's see some sawdust.   ;D

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2022, 10:33:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2018, 12:11:51 pm »
omg!! that is so cool.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2018, 11:01:12 am »
Big fan of all the fun stuff you are doing - thanks for the pics!
I didn't play the Tron game..  I have to figure out what the discs are all about  ;)

It's only the coolest game ever!  Discs of Tron was a pretty unique game it had a two way mirror for the display, and a TV below that displayed the video game.  The two way mirror allowed the background graphics (which was detailed artwork that a video game couldn't have produced at the time) to act as a backdrop for the "arena" where the characters moved around.  You have to see one in real life to really get it, but it was pretty awesome.

Loving that new design.  Let's see some sawdust.   ;D

I know right?  Definitely getting the itch to get going, but the idea you gave me requires a little more research, I've been in contact with a near by vendor to test this out.  Once I know if it will work then I can finalize the design (currently working on the control panel), and get started.

omg!! that is so cool.

It’s not as hard as it looks, just takes some time and patience.  It’s pretty cool in person when you get it going.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2018, 08:51:47 pm »
This could prove interesting:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:45:50 pm by Arroyo »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2018, 12:51:40 pm »
This could prove interesting:

That looks cool.  For the glow in the corners?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2018, 01:28:13 pm »
That looks cool.  For the glow in the corners?

Yup.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2018, 08:39:07 am »
What little bit of experimenting and testing are you working on now?  Since ..you know... full scale construction hasn't started.   ::)
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2018, 01:19:34 pm »
What little bit of experimenting and testing are you working on now?  Since ..you know... full scale construction hasn't started.   ::)

Hehe, great choice of words. 

I'm trying to prove out a number of things I've got in my head, hadn't had anything too interesting to post yet, but here's a preview:

Marquee in action:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:46:17 pm by Arroyo »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2018, 01:46:32 pm »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2018, 06:15:22 pm »
Okay I like that!

Cut from the same cloth wp34.

So I decided it was time to get my hands dirty.  I did a quick SketchUp of a simple control panel box so that I could practice wood working, laminating, drilling, and the plans I have for a lit control panel.  I have virtually zero woodworking experience so I thought it would be helpful to post what I've learned in the same thread as I would have liked it when I was doing my research.

Sketchup:

First thing was build the box, simple right? Yeah no, not at all, this -steaming pile of meadow muffin- is hard.

First attempt:

Note the splintering near the bottom.  This can be minimized by making sure your saw blade is only just high enough to clear the top of your wood surface.  When you have the table saw teeth too high you get a lot more of this.  Also cutting across the grain like in the front panel on the picture is more likely to have this effect then cutting with the grain.

Side shot:

I wanted to practice beveling corners.  So I picked up a 1/2” round over bit to practice.  (Side note, don’t do what I’d did and buy a 1/4” collett router, buy the 1/2”, gives you more flexibility to  use 1/4” and 1/2” bits).  Made the mistake of cutting the sides before doing the rounding, this made it next to impossible to cut the round over due to the short length.

So, I had to redo the front and back plates by first rounding over the sides:

Once that was done it was a lot easier to cut the front and back parts to size:

I wanted to practice getting an angle on the box as that’s my plan for my control panel.  The  front and back pieces are easier as you just set the table saw to angle (8 degrees in my case).  The sides are a bit harder as you need to use a miter (mine came with one as do most I think):

You feed you piece at an angle and keep the table saw straight.

When cutting angles you have to know what the highest and lowest point of the cut will be.  SketchUp really helped for me on this, however just using the closest connecting piece to the angle will also work.

Here’s where I’m at:

That’s two days of work and I’m obviously far from finished.  If I’d have seen this post before trying this out I’d have thought, ok, it’s a box, no big deal.  As many in here have said, it’s a lot harder than it looks, but also incredibly satisfying when it fits together.

Won’t be able to tackle more for a couple of weeks. But looking forward to continuing, as bringing this off the computer is very exciting
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:47:32 pm by Arroyo »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2018, 07:25:58 pm »
Looks good. I’d use pocket holes and glue to eliminate that bracing. Looks thick and heavy.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2018, 11:19:12 pm »
Good call doing some R&D first.  I did the same with my first build.  Plus woodwork is the best part of a build.    :cheers:

I agree with Yots about pocket holes.  Once you go Kreg you never go back. 

monkeydlenny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2018, 10:30:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2018, 11:40:54 pm »
Definitely gonna keep my eye on this project. it's looking AMAZING even in the early stages  :notworthy:

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2018, 08:27:12 am »
Kreg jig and pocket holes will work great for this type of joinery.  They have a large assortment of jibs..  I use the Mini 99% of the time..  it costs $14

If your plywood is splintering on the table saw - you should get a zero clearance insert.  It comes blank and you raise the blade through it.  That way as the blade cuts downward, the insert supports the cross grain and prevents tear out.

It appears you used the router table with the fence closed? and put the wood in between the fence and the bit?  (hopefully not)
Do not use the router table that way - open the fence and adjust so that the bearing is flush with the front of the fence.  The you can put the piece through right to left.  The bit should be half hidden inside..  Much safer, less likely to throw the part..  and you can now use a block to support the piece vertically and slide it along the fence with the work piece.  The bit will not be in the way..  Hope this make sense.

Once you get to the real control panel... get cabinet grade plywood if you can..  It is far superior to the stuff you are using..  super flat and stiff..
Keep up the testing!!  Good post.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2018, 02:00:33 pm »
Looks good. I’d use pocket holes and glue to eliminate that bracing. Looks thick and heavy.

I’d been handed one of those by my coworker and the thought hadn’t even occurred to me.  I’ll definitely go that route based on everyone’s recommendations for this box. 

I was using these 3/4” battens as practice as I was planning on using them in the body of the cab.  Is that still overkill in that application?

I agree with Yots about pocket holes.  Once you go Kreg you never go back.

Sounds like a unanimous chorus.  I’ll do that.

Definitely gonna keep my eye on this project. it's looking AMAZING even in the early stages  :notworthy:

Thanks but as I’ve mentioned to some others I’ll bank any praise once I can get this thing actually built.  Good luck on your  DK project.

Kreg jig and pocket holes will work great for this type of joinery.  They have a large assortment of jibs..  I use the Mini 99% of the time..  it costs $14

If your plywood is splintering on the table saw - you should get a zero clearance insert.  It comes blank and you raise the blade through it.  That way as the blade cuts downward, the insert supports the cross grain and prevents tear out.

Good to know, thanks!
It appears you used the router table with the fence closed? and put the wood in between the fence and the bit?  (hopefully not)

Uhhhh...nooo?    Yes, that’s exactly what I did😋.
Do not use the router table that way - open the fence and adjust so that the bearing is flush with the front of the fence.  The you can put the piece through right to left.  The bit should be half hidden inside..  Much safer, less likely to throw the part..  and you can now use a block to support the piece vertically and slide it along the fence with the work piece.  The bit will not be in the way..  Hope this make sense.
Took a minute after reading this but now I understand what you mean.  Thought hadn’t occurred to me that you could split the fence like that, and yes I had to hold tight on the part to make sure it didn’t leap from my hands (probably should have figured that was a sign of a problem🧐).  Lesson number two:  If it takes a lot of force to do, I’m probably doing it wrong.

Once you get to the real control panel... get cabinet grade plywood if you can..  It is far superior to the stuff you are using..  super flat and stiff..
Keep up the testing!!  Good post.

Thanks again, yes this was a quick dry run, I was eyeing what appeared to be better stuff at the Depot.

Landed in Japan late last night, it’s 3am here and jet lag sucks.  I’m already scheming the bribes it will take to make it down to Kyoto and visit Nintendo.  Definitely post some picks if I can make it happen.

Also couldn’t pass this up....they have real life Mario cart on the streets of Tokyo, no joke:

YOUTUBE video:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:48:07 pm by Arroyo »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2018, 10:19:55 am »
Project is looking good!
Get them taxes done? LOL

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2018, 01:02:19 pm »
Notice of Health and Safety Violation

Sod's law dictates:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2018, 12:07:32 am »
Project is looking good!
Get them taxes done? LOL

Heh, good one.  I wasn't able to get much done last weekend (so much time spent learning how to use equipment properly), practiced some pocket holes:

and gluing and screwing.  Also cut the plastic pieces to fit the top:

Next is figuring out postforming laminate around a 1/2" curve.  I've been having a helluva time trying to buy the right contact cement.  Apparently California has implemented some tuff VOC standards, and you can't buy traditional contact cement.  From what I can tell they won't even ship it into the state.  I got a hold of the folks at Formica and they directed me to the people that make their cement a company called Choice Brands (nice and generic).  The guy in the lab "Jerry" was awesome and explained more to me about contact cement than I'd ever hope to know.  He pointed me to Formica F-270 which I can get up here in Northern CA, so going to order that stuff.

Still have a lot of research going on, and I'm stubborn about asking for help. ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:48:38 pm by Arroyo »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2018, 12:08:19 am »
Notice of Health and Safety Violation

Sod's law dictates:

Flipflop's with a beer in hand, it's the only way to build.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:10:03 am by Arroyo »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2018, 11:49:43 am »
That VOC thing seems to have been issue, with paint, and ink  too, (and the recycled water thing in the sceenprint industry, gets so stinky it drives customers away) apparently not all counties are the same however and you may possibly get it elsewhere relatively close.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2018, 01:16:31 am »
Finally got some time to get something done.

For the newbs like myself I thought it might be helpful to continue documenting what I've learned, so.......

Pocket joints as mentioned above, they are made with the Kreg Jig:

Holes look like this:

Drill slowly on both the pocket hole, AND when you drill the pilot hole for the screw or else you can get some of the head of the screw sticking out:

You can use a Dremel to take it down so not the end of the world.  They also sell pocket hole fillers, but for me I will just be using wood filler to smooth it out until I can get the laminate over it.

Next I figured I would just use European hinges to have the lid open as it was what I was planning on doing with the main control panel......so yeah I'm really glad I'm practicing.  You can use these hinges if you don't have an overhang on your lid.  It will work if the lid is either flush or inset from the edge of the box, so big fail:

In doing research I came across these:

They are Soss hinges and they are pretty fantastic.  I really wanted a hinges that was invisible from the outside, and I like these even better than the European Hinge.  They wouldn't normally be that difficult to install, however because my box is on a slope it made it challenging.
Thankfully they come with a handy template:

Guy at the local Rockler store gave me the "Pro Tip" of first drilling a small pilot hole and put in some brad nails, then use a Dremel to cut the tops off:

This is so you can make an imprint on the lid and have a perfect alignment.  Sounded pretty good but I almost got caught losing the brad nail in the wood from pressing the lid on.  Barely fished them out with the needle nose.

ANWAY, I marked off the positions of the shallow and deeper holes you need to cut for this to fit:

Because the lid was on a slope I couldn't use the fence on the router table, but I did realize that if I put the whole box together it would form a smooth surface to slide back and forth.  I ligned up the marks with the center of a 3/8" straight router bit (this a requirement for the proper holes).  I used wood blocks to prevent over cutting left and right and a block in the back for depth.  I did have a helluva time figuring out the depth to the fence because as I mentioned the slope created a gap between the fence and where I needed to route.  That meant I had to offset the distance:

You have to make two passes, one for the shallow depth and one for the deeper part of the mount in the center:

I was doing shallow first then deeper, however in retrospect I would reverse that, because you can overshoot your depth on the deep hole, but you need to be accurate on the shallow hole depth so it lines up correctly. 

Cue the better outcome of the two:

You can see how far this swings out, in fact if you don't have too much of an overhang you could get 180 degrees.

I'm definitely digging these a lot.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:49:41 pm by Arroyo »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2018, 09:07:40 am »
That's a pretty cool looking hinge.  Nice routing work too.   :cheers: 

Welcome to the pocket hole club.  No more gluing.   ;D

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2018, 10:52:18 pm »
That's a pretty cool looking hinge.  Nice routing work too.   :cheers: 

Welcome to the pocket hole club.  No more gluing.   ;D

Still needs some work, and I think I’ve got a better way to route that inset (it’s a little to close to the edge).  Those things are shockingly strong, definitely the wood would fail before the hinge.

Pocket holes are smurfin awesome, simple, quick and consistent.  That was good advice from the three of you.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2018, 08:37:27 am »
Is this project still alive?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2018, 07:05:34 pm »

Is this project still alive?

Awww Mike didn’t know you cared, being an LCD, LED build an all. ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:08:25 pm by Arroyo »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2018, 07:32:18 am »
Once someone makes their mind up about that (CRT) I am trying to back off. I want to see people finish their builds, as long as it isn't one like that wall hanging turd machine that was posted recently.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2018, 08:30:23 am »
Once someone makes their mind up about that (CRT) I am trying to back off. I want to see people finish their builds, as long as it isn't one like that wall hanging turd machine that was posted recently.

Heh, just kidding with ya.  I like your passion for the CRT, if I can get to build number two that’s actually the plan.  To answer your question, no, builds definitely not dead, and I will finish no matter what.  I’m stuck in apartment land and every time I want to build I have to pack up 3 bags worth of stuff and drive 10 miles to a buddies place where my equipment is to get anything done.  Made some progress the other week but also some mistakes and was going to post after I got more done.  It’s actually been good because it’s forced me to finalize the design in SketchUp and figure out the details of building.  For now here’s a sneak peek:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:42:14 pm by Arroyo »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2018, 08:33:05 am »
Glad to hear the project is not dead.

I like your passion for the CRT, if I can get to build number two that’s actually the plan.

I can only plant the seed and hope it grows.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2018, 08:36:59 am »
Nice Sketchup work  :)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2018, 09:11:19 am »
Nice Sketchup work  :)

My 7th grade woodshop teacher is laughing at me in my dreams: ”Told ya you should have paid attention”
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 05:55:30 pm by Arroyo »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2018, 09:18:15 am »
I don't really use the materials like you did - except for the glass - that one is pretty cool.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2018, 09:33:33 am »
I don't really use the materials like you did - except for the glass - that one is pretty cool.

I’m a Californian, image is everything

Wouldn’t have the confidence to start if I didn’t model everything out.  I’m impressed by the people that just build the sides and front and figure out the rest on the fly.  That takes some balls.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:43:21 pm by Arroyo »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2018, 09:36:53 am »
oh - I put in every detail - I just didn't break out the crayon's and color it in..  mine is pretty much black&white..  :P

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2018, 09:48:15 am »
oh - I put in every detail - I just didn't break out the crayon's and color it in..  mine is pretty much black&white..  :P

No doubt, I’ve seen others that are just able to build, (I’m looking at you Maximus), and I don’t know how they do it.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2018, 09:52:56 am »
Wouldn’t have the confidence to start if I didn’t model everything out.  I’m impressed by the people that just build the sides and front and figure out the rest on the fly.  That takes some cojones.

Wait, I'm supposed to have a plan???   ;D

Your cab looks like it will be really cool.  I love the rotating monitor - always wanted to try but not sure I have the skills.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2018, 10:06:42 am »
Wait, I'm supposed to have a plan???   ;D

Yeah you too javeryh, stop making it look so easy, at least post some sweat pics.

Your cab looks like it will be really cool.  I love the rotating monitor - always wanted to try but not sure I have the skills.

Posted a tutorial:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156671.0.html

Sweet theater room by the way, that’s also in the works if we can ever buy a house in this damn insane real estate market here:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:50:46 pm by Arroyo »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2018, 11:06:34 am »
Thanks man - the theater took a part of my soul.  Where are you located?  Real estate is absolutely nuts around me too.  Believe it or not, my theater is in the basement of a very tiny house so I'm proof that you don't need much room.  Part of the fun is seeing people's reaction because from the outside it looks impossible for something like that to exist.  My entire lot is only 50' x 120' (0.14 acres) and the footprint of the house when we bought back in 2004 was 22'x25'.  I know people with living rooms bigger than that!  We have since expanded by adding about 12' to the back of the house which made all the difference in the world but even still it is barely big enough for the whole family.  That said, I'm pretty sure I could get close to $1M if I tried to sell it based on my proximity to NYC (and a train station), which is just insane for the little amount of house you'd get.  I'm never selling though so it doesn't matter. 

By the way, that is a sick tutorial - makes me think I could actually pull it off!  :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2018, 11:40:09 am »
Thanks man - the theater took a part of my soul.  Where are you located? 

Too close to the crazies in San Francisco/Silicon Valley.  People are selling their souls and every stock option they have to buy a house, it’s insane.  I’ve seen almost $2,000/ft in some areas.

Believe it or not, my theater is in the basement of a very tiny house so I'm proof that you don't need much room.  Part of the fun is seeing people's reaction because from the outside it looks impossible for something like that to exist.  My entire lot is only 50' x 120' (0.14 acres) and the footprint of the house when we bought back in 2004 was 22'x25'.  I know people with living rooms bigger than that! 

Wow....just wow.

By the way, that is a sick tutorial - makes me think I could actually pull it off!  :cheers:

DaOldMan made me do it.

If I can do it anyone can.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:06:11 pm by Arroyo »