Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Grid....  (Read 182471 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Re: The Grid....
« Reply #640 on: August 25, 2020, 02:53:07 pm »
BTW, close up of the top marquee lighting:

I hope you have an audio file of K.I.T.T. playing when this is moving back and forth!

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #641 on: August 26, 2020, 04:32:05 pm »
Outstanding! 

Hall of Fame build here folks.  Didn't think I'd see another one of these.   :cheers:

;)

I hope you have an audio file of K.I.T.T. playing when this is moving back and forth!

For the disks there will be.  I hope to be able to pull it off when the time comes.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #642 on: August 26, 2020, 05:34:39 pm »
That understated lighting looks -slick-.  I love it.   :applaud:

I like how you're using it as an accent, and not as something that looks like a modern ticket redemption machine.  This looks really, really Tron already, and that's even without the full control panel effect. 

I personally think you're on the right track to favor a 16:10 over a gysnc/freesync monitor, but opinions on this can of course vary.

Kingcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2021, 04:33:12 pm
  • Building a steampunk arcade cabinet
« Reply #643 on: August 28, 2020, 01:04:11 am »
Love the lighting effects! I’m jealous of the automatic rotation, but I’m not going to give up my clunky manually rotating CRT for it unless the CRT dies. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KINGCADE - my Steampunk Wild West penny arcade-style cabinet
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161105.msg1697383.html#msg1697383

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #644 on: August 31, 2020, 04:01:24 pm »
That understated lighting looks -slick-.  I love it.   :applaud:

I like how you're using it as an accent, and not as something that looks like a modern ticket redemption machine.  This looks really, really Tron already, and that's even without the full control panel effect. 

I personally think you're on the right track to favor a 16:10 over a gysnc/freesync monitor, but opinions on this can of course vary.

:cheers:  Hopefully I can pull off some interesting subtle animations, still working on getting sound and wiring down, then it's all programming until I work on the control panel and marquee.  Hopefully the monitor doesn't present too many problems with lag, but I've read enough on GroovyMame that it should be fine.

Love the lighting effects! I’m jealous of the automatic rotation, but I’m not going to give up my clunky manually rotating CRT for it unless the CRT dies. :-)

Thanks bud.  If you ever change your mind on the auto rotation, there's a lot of good stuff in Automated Projects, but you knew that already  ;)

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #645 on: September 11, 2020, 02:43:02 pm »
Just so you know, you are causing my build massive delays!  Every time you update I end up drooling and inevitably redesigning something.  :cheers:

I'm curious, do you know what the total power draw is with all your components / lights / computer added up?  I couldn't tell if your power inlet on the back had a fuse on it. Factoring in all the lighting + CP lighting demands I'm debating if running it all from the computers power supply is going to work, or if I have to get an external PSU like you have.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #646 on: September 11, 2020, 03:09:36 pm »
I'm curious, do you know what the total power draw is with all your components / lights / computer added up?  I couldn't tell if your power inlet on the back had a fuse on it. Factoring in all the lighting + CP lighting demands I'm debating if running it all from the computers power supply is going to work, or if I have to get an external PSU like you have.

Hey Vertexguy,

Yeah it adds up if all the lights and everything is on at once.  The biggest power draw will be the sound system if turned up all the way (250 Watts), next would be the computer rated at 230 watts (max draw), then lighting if I used all lights at the same time and with them all being white (RGB lighting would require all lights to be on for white) (154 Watts), then monitor 125 watts (again maxed out brightness).  Then there's the servo, LED's around the USB, and the coin doors (minimal).  So yeah if everything were maxed out at the same time (unlikely as I don't plan on using the white on the RGB LED's or driving the computer that hard), then it would come to roughly 800 watts.  With 120V coming in that would be a little over 6 amps. 

The fuse that came with the outlet was rated for 5.  I bought an assortment of larger fuses and will probably stick a 6amp in there, although that's probably overkill.

The power for these will mostly come from the arcade power supply (5V & 12V), but some lighting (24V) and sound will require their own power supplies (they largely came with the items).  Your computer power supply will unlikely handle any significant wattage although you can look it up in the specs.  I suppose it depends on what you are trying to do.

Happy to help if I can.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #647 on: October 14, 2020, 12:18:58 pm »
Been fussing about with many other things, and had hit a road block in decision making on the project, but finally overcame some hurdles.

First off is I got the Acrylic installed in front of the monitor and pulled off the paper.  I also blacked out the metal frame of the monitor with Vinyl:

It does a nice job of making the monitor look like it’s floating:

(BTW - if you don't know about HLSL or GLSL and you have an LCD do yourself a favor and look into it.  Makes a world of difference in the look of the games to get them to look as they did on a CRT)

I also installed the amplifiers for the two speakers and sub woofer.  The amp turns on and off when a signal is detected and puts out the proper amount of wattage to match the speakers.  The smaller sub amp is connected off of the larger.  It was tough to find amplifiers that would meet the 4 ohm requirement without getting into car amps, but then those run on 12V and need a ton of amperage so you end up having to buy an expensive power supply.  This was the happy medium as there aren’t many options:

As you can see I’ve mounted them (had to get creative on the smaller one):

Still a mess, but I will get it cleaned up.

Still working on learning programming for the Arduino and the relay switch for it….that’s slow progress.

Here’s kind of a current state of things shot:

Here’s a quick video showing the rotation in action behind the Acrylic:

Lastly I have been struggling with moving forward on the Marquee until now.  The artist rendition was kinda funky with the name off to the side and this large light cycle that always felt too literal to the movie for my taste.  So I put on my big boy pants, dusted off the Photoshop and took a crack at the art.  Pretty settled on it unless someone wants to point out a glaring oversight.

Working on getting the control panel acrylic laser etched so hopefully should have a lot of this done soon. 

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #648 on: October 14, 2020, 12:33:13 pm »
Very impressive, I kept watching the video over and over!

uptown47

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 05:46:44 pm
  • Just takin' life one game of Frogger at a time...
« Reply #649 on: October 14, 2020, 01:40:34 pm »
Looks amazing. Really like that rotating monitor! :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #650 on: October 14, 2020, 02:06:28 pm »
Hey bud - looks great.  I love the rotating monitor and the CRT shaders you are using really make it look authentic.  Well done.

As for your marquee... there is a lot of dead space to the left and right of the lettering.  I would start by moving the word "The" to be to the left of the word "Grid" and both aligned at the top and then I would make the "Grid" lettering as big as possible.  Another suggestion would be to make it say "The Grid" all in large lettering to fill that space but I get that you wouldn't want to emphasize the "The" part of the design.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:08:37 pm by javeryh »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #651 on: October 14, 2020, 03:15:26 pm »

(BTW - if you don't know about HLSL or GLSL and you have an LCD do yourself a favor and look into it.  Makes a world of difference in the look of the games to get them to look as they did on a CRT)

Boy howdy!  A couple of those pictures had me thinking I missed you switching to a CRT for a second or two.  Nicely done.   :cheers:

That video of the monitor rotating is something else.  Those discs look amazing too.  I'm going to go throw some rocks at my Tron cabinet when I get home.   >:D

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #652 on: October 14, 2020, 04:24:53 pm »
Very impressive, I kept watching the video over and over!

I find myself playing vertical games the most just to see it turn.  It's fun.   :cheers:

Looks amazing. Really like that rotating monitor! :)

Cheers Uptown, good to hear from you.

Another suggestion would be to make it say "The Grid" all in large lettering to fill that space but I get that you wouldn't want to emphasize the "The" part of the design.

Like this?

Boy howdy!  A couple of those pictures had me thinking I missed you switching to a CRT for a second or two.  Nicely done.   :cheers:

That video of the monitor rotating is something else.  Those discs look amazing too.  I'm going to go throw some rocks at my Tron cabinet when I get home.   >:D

Dude without yours as an example I wouldn't have tried mine.  Love that build, especially the CRT!   

The shaders can be pretty convincing, particularly behind tinted glass/acrylic because then you don't notice the frame of the LCD which is the dead giveaway.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #653 on: October 14, 2020, 04:54:34 pm »
Like this?

Yeah - it's subtle but I think the larger lettering fills the space better.  I think you want to accent the name and have the background... in the background... instead of taking up most of the real estate.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #654 on: October 14, 2020, 05:07:19 pm »
Lastly I have been struggling with moving forward on the Marquee until now.  The artist rendition was kinda funky with the name off to the side and this large light cycle that always felt too literal to the movie for my taste.  So I put on my big boy pants, dusted off the Photoshop and took a crack at the art.  Pretty settled on it unless someone wants to point out a glaring oversight.

Ah crap, I was supposed to get back to you on the marquee.  I'm sorry man, I've been really busy and it slipped my mind.

Your revision doesn't have any glaring oversights, but I do have an opinion on the content.

Like Javeryh said, the title should be bigger.  I would fill up the space with GRID even more than you have it here.  I'd also align the top of THE to the top of GRID.  Also close the gap more between the two words so the bottom of E is a thick hairline in distance from the G of GRID.

For the background, it's a muddy mess. I wouldn't use that background because it's so blurred and has the same tone throughout.

If I were you, I'd create a grid pattern of thin orange lines, deform it so it looks like it's in perspective, then put the title on top of it as if it's resting on the grid.  Then duplicate and mirror the title, blur it out a bit, and deform it so it looks like a reflection off the grid floor.

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #655 on: October 14, 2020, 06:16:38 pm »
Fantastic to see you moving this forward again!  I agree that it's pretty mesmerizing to watch that rotation video over and over.

Regarding the marquee artwork, here's my 2 cents.

While I agree with some of the other perspectives offered on the marquee, rather than deep dive to tell you move this word 30 pixels to the left, I'll offer a different approach.

Having the marquee look impressive on its own is hard but important.  It's the core "billboard" for what your machine is.  In an arcade, unless it was an end machine it's the most prominent thing.  That said, I highly recommend you check your concepts from multiple perspectives.  One that is focused just on the marquee looking great on its own, and one looking at how the design integrates with the entire cab in a render.  Perhaps one from a bit of a distance from the cab too.  This will help you find the balance with the entire cab compositionally.  I found that helped me with word scale and color dominance.  You may not want the marquee to stick out like a soar thumb over everything else, and I found that getting too big with a title, or not balancing the dominant colors correctly will quickly compete with the rest of the cab for your eyes attention.  With a lot of dark background in your current design, it's really the words THE GRID and some subtle teal colors that will stand out the most.  If you don't want the background competing with anything, don't make it too busy or with super strong contrasting colors.  If you'd prefer the full rectangle shape of the marque to appear to be a bit more of a rectangle shape, then you need more color balance with the background elements and less dominance of the words.  Right now the further away you get, all you will see are the words, and that's cool if that's what you want.

You could easily get lost doing 20 more iterations on this thing though.  I know I have.  So balance it with what you feel happy with in the moment.  If you can sleep on it, come back the next day or so and still like what you see, it's probably good enough to move on.  It's really easy to fall in a trap of nit picking and never being satisfied.  That's why I stopped on my theme revisions and am trying not to pick it back up until I have everything else built.  I know in the end whatever you go with is going to look amazing though.  :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #656 on: October 14, 2020, 11:32:29 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Gonna work on this with an old friend who is more of an artist than me and run with these ideas.

uptown47

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 05:46:44 pm
  • Just takin' life one game of Frogger at a time...
« Reply #657 on: October 15, 2020, 02:57:06 am »

Ah crap, I was supposed to get back to you on the marquee.  I'm sorry man, I've been really busy and it slipped my mind.

Your revision doesn't have any glaring oversights, but I do have an opinion on the content.

Like Javeryh said, the title should be bigger.  I would fill up the space with GRID even more than you have it here.  I'd also align the top of THE to the top of GRID.  Also close the gap more between the two words so the bottom of E is a thick hairline in distance from the G of GRID.

For the background, it's a muddy mess. I wouldn't use that background because it's so blurred and has the same tone throughout.

If I were you, I'd create a grid pattern of thin orange lines, deform it so it looks like it's in perspective, then put the title on top of it as if it's resting on the grid.  Then duplicate and mirror the title, blur it out a bit, and deform it so it looks like a reflection off the grid floor.

I'm absolutely pants at design but thought I would throw a suggestion in for the 'real' designers here to consider...

What about having the "The" running upwards? So it's the same height as the "Grid" lettering?

I just thought the "THE", when rotated, looks a bit 'grid like' in that it's all straight lines... the font might need tweaking to do this but not sure...

Anyhoo... it was just something which occurred to me and may not look very good in reality but thought I'd throw it in the mix as an idea :-)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #658 on: October 15, 2020, 12:20:27 pm »
You could easily get lost doing 20 more iterations on this thing though.  I know I have.  So balance it with what you feel happy with in the moment.  If you can sleep on it, come back the next day or so and still like what you see, it's probably good enough to move on.  It's really easy to fall in a trap of nit picking and never being satisfied. 

Oof.  I feel this.   ;D

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #659 on: October 15, 2020, 06:58:55 pm »
Nice job!!  :applaud: :applaud:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #660 on: November 01, 2020, 09:22:17 am »
Minor update. 

Marquee is finished, hope you like it cause I ain't change it at this point:

Also ordered all the artwork including the sides, front panel, Marquee, control panel, and to be revealed Monitor surrounds.

Mike and I are giving another go at getting the laser etching going.  If we can't make it work this week, I have a back up with a local company.  Once I get the etching figured out then I should start to make real progress and finish this thing off.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #661 on: November 01, 2020, 12:11:12 pm »
Minor update. 

Marquee is finished, hope you like it cause I ain't change it at this point:

1000% better than where you started.  I really like this and your art now meshes with the name.   :applaud:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #662 on: November 01, 2020, 03:15:03 pm »
Lookin’ sharp! I like it.  :cheers:

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #663 on: November 01, 2020, 05:15:40 pm »
Also ordered all the artwork including the sides, front panel, Marquee, control panel, and to be revealed Monitor surrounds.

Nice!  The marquee looks great!  Who did you end up going with to print the art?

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #664 on: November 01, 2020, 05:47:16 pm »
Yessss.  That's the marquee.  Good work! 

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #665 on: November 02, 2020, 08:20:01 am »
Cheers fellas.  Big shout out to Opt2not for giving me the ideas on the design, it’s always better when you consult a talented artist.

Nice!  The marquee looks great!  Who did you end up going with to print the art?

For the sides and front panel I went with Szabo’s Arcades.  I’ve been impressed with the quality of Vinyl print that he does.

For the Control Panel and Marquee I went with Blue River Digital:

https://blueriverdigital.com/duratrans

They specialize in backlit prints, and in my testing, hands down produced the best color reproduction and contrast when being lit.  Other prints I had done the colors were washed out when light was applied and the resolution of the print wasn’t as good either (pixelated even in some areas).

The type of print material that I used is their Duratrans.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #666 on: November 02, 2020, 02:14:22 pm »
Cheers fellas.  Big shout out to Opt2not for giving me the ideas on the design, it’s always better when you consult a talented artist.

For the sides and front panel I went with Szabo’s Arcades.  I’ve been impressed with the quality of Vinyl print that he does.

For the Control Panel and Marquee I went with Blue River Digital:

https://blueriverdigital.com/duratrans

They specialize in backlit prints, and in my testing, hands down produced the best color reproduction and contrast when being lit.  Other prints I had done the colors were washed out when light was applied and the resolution of the print wasn’t as good either (pixelated even in some areas).

The type of print material that I used is their Duratrans.

:cheers: you're welcome, friendo! Any time.

Good call on Szabo's Arcades for the side-art. He's the best in the business right now for quality prints, whether  reproduction art, or custom.

I have never heard of blueriverdigital , but this is good to know. Interested in seeing how the marquee turns out.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #667 on: November 02, 2020, 05:18:15 pm »
Interested in seeing how the marquee turns out.

Me too :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #668 on: November 02, 2020, 07:03:14 pm »
That marquee looks great.  Nice work.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #669 on: November 13, 2020, 09:13:34 am »
Nice Marquee. It is giving good "cycle on the grid" vibes.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #670 on: January 19, 2021, 10:10:20 pm »
Too long.  Time to get back on track:

Still two more panels to get laser etched. 

Hope to pick these up soon and get back to work.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #671 on: January 19, 2021, 10:29:44 pm »
Wow. That's impressive.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #672 on: January 20, 2021, 07:15:18 am »
YES!  Looks sick.  Can’t wait to see it all lit up - I’m especially curious about the marquee - does the art just go behind the etching and the whole thing is backlit or are you placing LEDs in specific places to get some sort of effect?

Let’s go Arroyo - keep going!

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #673 on: January 20, 2021, 10:12:42 am »
That's gonna look mental :)

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #674 on: January 20, 2021, 02:44:58 pm »
Outstanding.  Chuffed to see the update!   :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #675 on: January 21, 2021, 08:21:59 am »
Cheers guys, looking forward to picking this stuff up and getting back to work.

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:00:22 pm
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #676 on: January 21, 2021, 08:55:41 am »
Great work man!  I'm in the beginning planning stages and am definitely not attempting something this difficult.  Kudos to you!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:52:37 pm
« Reply #677 on: January 21, 2021, 08:58:32 am »
Good work Arroyo, following...  8)
Check out my completed projects!

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #678 on: January 21, 2021, 11:10:43 am »
Those etchings look amazing!  I didn't realize you were etching the marquee too... this is gonna be bad ass!  :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #679 on: January 21, 2021, 12:19:07 pm »
Those etchings look amazing!  I didn't realize you were etching the marquee too... this is gonna be bad ass!  :cheers:

I missed that about the marquee as well.  Really looking forward to seeing this one all lit up!