Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Grid....  (Read 182409 times)

bperkins01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
Re: The Grid....
« Reply #520 on: March 11, 2020, 08:16:10 am »
Excellent update   :applaud:
Some fine woodworking skills.

At minimum...  you need to commit to having the cab in one piece by Zapcon!
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #521 on: March 11, 2020, 08:18:22 am »
Zapcon 2035 maybe.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #522 on: March 11, 2020, 08:20:50 am »
Zapcon 2035 maybe.
I'll set it up... you knock it down..
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #523 on: March 11, 2020, 10:37:10 am »
Looks really nice.  Creative solution on trimming that laminate in the corner - not sure what I wold have done other than curse up a storm.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #524 on: March 11, 2020, 06:08:34 pm »
Biggest challenge was keeping the contact cement from getting between the acrylic and the laminate backing.  Actually had to pull off the acrylic while the contact cement was curing and clean it off before putting it back and laying down the laminate.  When I did the top piece I put a small strip of painters tape to cover it so it wouldn’t happen again.

Need to do this same treatment to the marquee sides and then this should start really coming together.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2020, 10:37:12 pm »
I guess the one good thing about this virus is that I got a lot of free time in the shop this weekend  ;)

Finished off the panel mount USB’s to make em flush:

Used a 28mm wood template that I spent quite a lot of time aligning with the existing hole in the middle to try and get it centered for the tracer bit on the router to do its work.  Came out good:

Installed the remaining DC barrel connectors for power (next to the USB, still need to paint the wood around them), and a headphone jack below the PIR plastic dome.

Then I wanted to get some laminating done so I mostly finished the upper marque area panels.

This time instead of using the PVC pipes and pressing the laminate down from on top, I just laid the wood down on the laminate using the hinge method and applied pressure with my hands on the wood:

When trimming the angled sides I decided to try to match the angle of the cut with the angle base of the router I got:

Worked well, but it DOES create a hell of a sharp edge.  The plastic on the laminate surface turns into a virtual razor blade (got the blood stains to prove it).

Marquee sides got the same treatment as the lower sides with addressable LED strip and P95 Acrylic inlay.  It was fun cutting the path for the wiring:

Put it all together just to feel some sense of accomplishment (still looks funny without a control panel):

Lastly was playing with the addressable LED lights on the disc that I picked up to see how fun that could be:

Wife’s patience is getting thin (she wants her parking spot back), need to wrap this build up……and I haven’t even started the control panel  :-[
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:25:51 am by Arroyo »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #526 on: March 18, 2020, 05:16:22 pm »
Looks great - the quarantine is treating you right!  Lots of intricate stuff going on here and you have made each part of the cabinet unique.  Can't wait to see this finished!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #527 on: March 18, 2020, 05:21:58 pm »
MikeA was wrong..  It will be done before Zapcon..  or..  his shop space will be in the driveway..  with a futon..    :cheers:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #528 on: March 18, 2020, 09:38:28 pm »
I love those LED's on your disc!  It is seriously "lit" as the kids say.  Nice job Arroyo.

yrrkoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 11:46:51 am
  • I like to build things
    • arcadecabinetproject.blogspot.com/
« Reply #529 on: March 27, 2020, 12:47:05 pm »
Hey Arroyo where did you get the USB port on your test CP shown on page 4 of this thread?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #530 on: March 27, 2020, 12:55:38 pm »
Cheers fellas.

Hey Arroyo where did you get the USB port on your test CP shown on page 4 of this thread?

You mean this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQFGH80/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_a-IFEbKCFQ3KK

yrrkoon

• Offline Offline
  • I like to build things
« Reply #531 on: March 27, 2020, 01:00:26 pm »
Cheers fellas.

You mean this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQFGH80/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_a-IFEbKCFQ3KK
no, on the backside of your test CP panel where you drilled a hole out with a forester bit you installed a USB port presumably so that you could connect all the internal electronics to your PC. It even glows.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #532 on: March 27, 2020, 01:12:52 pm »
no, on the backside of your test CP panel where you drilled a hole out.

Ah.  That’s this guy:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTg2dOS

yrrkoon

• Offline Offline
  • I like to build things
« Reply #533 on: March 27, 2020, 04:28:52 pm »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #534 on: March 27, 2020, 04:48:08 pm »
no, on the backside of your test CP panel where you drilled a hole out.

Ah.  That’s this guy:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTg2dOS

That's a nice find.  :applaud:

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #535 on: April 02, 2020, 11:52:56 pm »
I'm curious on the dimensions of the side profile.  With that base to hold the CP it looks like it would be too big to fit through a large 32" doorway?  Wheres the machine going when finished?  BTW I love the test light animation for the sides even if just for fun.  A soft pulsing blue animation could be stellar.  Oh and thanks to you I've been contemplating changing up many things on my build.  Curse you and your ambitious originality. ;)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #536 on: April 03, 2020, 08:22:00 am »
I'm curious on the dimensions of the side profile.  With that base to hold the CP it looks like it would be too big to fit through a large 32" doorway?  Wheres the machine going when finished?  BTW I love the test light animation for the sides even if just for fun.  A soft pulsing blue animation could be stellar.  Oh and thanks to you I've been contemplating changing up many things on my build.  Curse you and your ambitious originality. ;)
It definitely is with the control panel on.  It is designed to be able to pull it off as it will be screwed into threaded inserts on the cab.  This will be the same process as how I attached the sides to the lower half and the marquee box.

With the control panel off its 32” from triangle point to the back.  The width from left to right is 33.75”.  The couple of “standard” doors that I have are 35” frame width with about 33” from
door frame to exposed door side (in other words, with the door on).  My main doors are much larger at around 42”, and I have a lot of sliding doors, so it should be pretty easy to move.  However I would probably need a dolly to go through a standard door frame bringing it from the side as I don’t have wheels that move that way.

I’d say this is one of the design challenges of working with a LCD in the horizontal position.  It forces your cab width to be inherently wide (unless you rotate it vertically which I think is a better idea).  This means in order for it to get through a standard doorway it has to be fairly shallow from front to back. 

I really liked learning how to play with servos and get the rotating monitor going.  And it will mean I get to do something fun with the area behind it (hence the spikes of death ).  However as I mentioned above, if I were using an LCD again (and I won’t, only CRT’s going forward) then I would rotate it vertically so that the dimensions of the cab, specifically the width, were more like original machines.  See Laythe’s Mimic, or Maximus’s Marvel vs. Capcom V2 for examples.

Lastly, you clearly have the skills on the computer to come up with something on your own.  Whether you do it on your first one or save it for later, you definitely should. 

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #537 on: April 04, 2020, 02:34:46 pm »
I really liked learning how to play with servos and get the rotating monitor going.  And it will mean I get to do something fun with the area behind it (hence the spikes of death ).

I gotta admit, I'm dying to know what those are for.  Waiting on the edge of my seat here for the reveal.   :D

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #538 on: April 06, 2020, 12:54:22 pm »
I gotta admit, I'm dying to know what those are for.  Waiting on the edge of my seat here for the reveal.   :D

Cheers buddy, yeah me too.  I only hope it looks like IRL what it does in my head.

Been quite busy in the background and wanted to post once I had a little more progress but next post will be too long if I do.

Laminated the exteriors:

Installed the subwoofer:

Finished installing the addressable LED’s in the two discs

and mounted them both & the speakers in their permanent position (well on the board not the floor) ;):

Bought 22 gauge 4 conductor wire that keeps the wiring neat and minimal (see black coiled cable above).  This allows a 12V rail for both sets of LED’s and a “data” line for the addressable.  Much better than having all those wires with different colors and keeps them bound together.

Little demo of the LED’s installed:

Taped off everything for painting the T-Molding face in case the T-molding isn’t perfectly aligned or gets nicked in the future so that the bare wood doesn’t show underneath:

As most of you already know the thin piece of tape in the middle is to block the slot for the T-molding from getting paint.  I have painted all the sides now, so glad to have that behind me:

Cut out the bottom portion of the back that will go below the door.  Cut out the wheel wells and laminated it and the interior of the marquee sides that will be exposed when the marquee graphics are installed (will make more sense later).

Now for the real effort.  I wanted to do something different for the ventilation.  My thought was, instead of cutting out some holes why not make a design.  The intention was to keep the disc thing going.  Busted out the circle jig from before:

Then used a forstner bit to finish off the ending curve (thanks for the tip Javery).  Came out pretty clean:

However I wanted a speaker grill installed to keep too much dust from coming in and I wanted to reinforce it as it’s a bit fragile.  So I got to routing out the wood:

As I wanted to laminate over this it was going to be a bit of a process as I didn’t want the laminate sticking directly onto the speaker grill.  I wanted a smooth surface, so picked up 3/16” of Acrylic.

May not be totally obvious from the picture, but the acrylic was pattern cut to the design.  All the screws hold the acrylic and speaker grill in place, and I wanted to make sure my depth was accurate.  The plan is to take out the speaker grill, lay down some laminate (before using contact cement), and pattern cut the laminate.  I was al set to do this and then flipped over the piece to see this:

I had originally thought I liked the idea of the mesh being close to the surface, but after seeing this I think I like the depth better.  Maybe it’s because of the contrasting colors :dunno.  With cut wood interior being exposed though it means I have to paint it.  In general I don’t like painting.  But I’ve already masked it off so we’ll see where this goes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:54:35 pm by Arroyo »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #539 on: April 06, 2020, 01:03:07 pm »
Looks very nice  :applaud:   - Must be near the end of the laminate work!

The Youtube link is broken  :(

Why tape off the T-molding slot?  Not sure I understand that.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #540 on: April 06, 2020, 01:27:45 pm »
Looks very nice  :applaud:   - Must be near the end of the laminate work!

The Youtube link is broken  :(

Why tape off the T-molding slot?  Not sure I understand that.

Just this back door and then laminate work should be done (well until I get to the control panel).

Fixed the link, thanks for pointing that out.

Taping of the T-molding slot is to prevent paint from getting into the slot and therefore screwing up the precise width it is supposed to be to match the t-molding spline, it can also screw up the depth.  Sounds like you didn't have any trouble doing it without it?

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #541 on: April 06, 2020, 01:35:58 pm »
I used oil based Rustolium and brushed it on and make it all black..I suppose latex could potentially gum up the works..  but there is no need to paint inside the slot at all. 
Just paint over it with a roller..  There is nothing precise about T-molding.  If fact - on particle board it tends to push it apart (causing the sides to bulge a bit) until the splines compress after a day or so..)  The plywood is a little stiffer.. But you may see a little bulge until the splines I(and wood) compress on it too..

Great detailed work  - I'm a fan :)

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #542 on: April 06, 2020, 01:38:33 pm »

This looks very nice.  Much better than what I fumbled together.  Is that foam on the back of the lights?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #543 on: April 06, 2020, 01:42:54 pm »
Is that foam on the back of the lights?

Actually it's the plastic "C-Ring" that came with the SoulInertia kit.  Didn't have that when you bought yours?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #544 on: April 06, 2020, 01:52:00 pm »
Is that foam on the back of the lights?

Actually it's the plastic "C-Ring" that came with the SoulInertia kit.  Didn't have that when you bought yours?

Well it was a long time ago and apparently I forgot.  Looking through my build log I did indeed have the same C-Ring. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #545 on: April 06, 2020, 03:19:15 pm »
 :lol  "C-Ring"...

(sorry, apparently I'm 12)

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #546 on: April 06, 2020, 05:01:50 pm »

I really like how this turned out.

UnclearHermit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 06:42:54 pm
  • Finally started building 2019,est. completion 2036
« Reply #547 on: April 06, 2020, 05:22:14 pm »

Likewise, looks really good.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #548 on: April 06, 2020, 07:39:02 pm »
Arroyo - top notch work as always.  Very exciting to see the cabinet laminated and standing up.  You must be getting close to getting it playable and then disappearing for a while! 

:laugh2:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #549 on: April 13, 2020, 02:52:46 pm »

Likewise, looks really good.

:cheers:

You must be getting close to getting it playable and then disappearing for a while! 
:laugh2:

If I had my way I’d keep building, but I think I need to buy some political capital from the wife when this things done.  There’s going to be a lot of “yes dear” for long time me thinks.

Wrapped up the back door this weekend.

A LOT of work for something few people will see :dunno

Wanted to paint the interior and stupidly started priming:

Got what I deserved. 

Reached out to OND as he is my paint hero (among other things).  Got a good chuckle out of him when I sent the above pick.  So yeah, lots of sanding and filling was in my future.  But how to sand this thing hmmm…..

120 grit glued to 1inch dowel held in place by rubber bands until it dried.  After many hours of using this and bondo, and wood filler I got this:

Getting a smooth surface on all of those surfaces means many a sore shoulder.  Ideally I would have had the dowel screwed down onto another piece of wood so I could ensure it would stay at a right angle to the piece at all times, but I didn’t have the patience. Took a lot of focus to keep myself from wobbling the dowel while sanding. :stupid:

Anyway applied the laminate to the side that I didn’t cut the inlay on:

Then I wanted to pre-cut the other side as I didn’t trust the flush trim bit to not take off some paint if I waited to do it later:

Masked off the area for painting (black):

then white:

I learned a lot from this painting experience. 

#1) It takes a lot of time and patience (sanding, bondo, priming, sanding, & cure times for paint)
#2) It’s easy to spray too much paint.
#3) Put your money into your primer.
#4) the lighter the mist of spray the more even your paint job will be.
#5) Read the instructions carefully.
#6) Oil vs. latex.  So far in my limited experience oil seems to get a nicer more durable finish, however it come with terrible VOC’s, and you need to make sure you have a good respirator.

Anyway moving on.

Lined up the precut disc laminate with the embedded acrylic and grill:

Purposely only did this half first so that we (need two people on this one) could keep clamps on the rest of the piece to maintain the alignment of the discs.  Marked off where to put contact cement on both sides, and drilled holes in the corners and tied them to the top of the clamps to keep the pieces separate while drying. I had the acrylic and speaker grill off to the side to prevent the contact cement from getting on it, and applied to the acrylic face only.  Then put back in place and screwed everything down.

When doing the other side had to use a paint brush to get into the corners while it was tied up:

Came out good on this side (hadn’t cleaned the laminate yet):

And for the paint side which had been drying for 24 hours:

Pulled off tape and used Exacto blade to flush trim excess build up:

And final:

I think both actually look nice, still trying to decide which one should face outwards.  Opinions?

No paint side:

Paint side:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:55:49 am by Arroyo »

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:53:28 am
« Reply #550 on: April 13, 2020, 03:15:17 pm »
Looks beautiful. I gotta go with no paint side out. Looks too open with paint side out. Like it could be broken off.

J_K_M_A_N

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #551 on: April 13, 2020, 04:00:11 pm »
Nice backside   :laugh2:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #552 on: April 13, 2020, 04:31:25 pm »
Ring side out.

I want one of your kids wearing that ring like a hat 5 minutes after you roll the cab out.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #553 on: April 13, 2020, 06:02:14 pm »
Looks beautiful. I gotta go with no paint side out. Looks too open with paint side out. Like it could be broken off.

J_K_M_A_N

+1

But this is so freaking beautiful.  You should make it your new avatar picture.  It looks like you somehow got white Nintendo flat t-molding in an impossible space.

Cutting that laminate first and then gluing it?  Impressive...most impressive.   :applaud:

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #554 on: April 13, 2020, 06:52:36 pm »
I'm bucking the trend, I like paint side out.  That structure is beautiful with the mesh behind. I'd want to show it.

(To be fair, though, I'm known to make some questionable design choices, I wouldn't consider me none too sane, here.)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #555 on: April 13, 2020, 11:26:15 pm »
Cheers boys :cheers:

Seems the voting is about the same as it is at home, almost split down the middle.  I’ll keep this open until the weekend when I gotta make the decision and move on to the next bit.

Appreciate the feedback!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #556 on: April 14, 2020, 09:31:50 am »
Arroyo you are officially crazy.  We always knew it but I'm declaring it.  Awesome work.  A couple of things:

1.  The balls to cut the laminate and THEN try to line it up for the contact cement.  Damn.
2.  Spending all this time and effort on something only you will know is even there - love it.
3.  I like the ring side facing out with the mesh recessed.  You have crossed over into art territory and this piece looks really cool.  It will also be easier to dust occasionally.

You are motivating me to get going again.  Been a little bummed out during this quarantine to do much of anything.  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #557 on: April 14, 2020, 10:30:56 am »
I thought the paint side in looks better and that was my opinion before reading any responses.

tomton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:38:30 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #558 on: April 14, 2020, 11:44:54 am »
Beautiful!

Amazing attention to detail and how you managed to create all the complicated elements without using CNC router is just mind boggling to me. Respect.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #559 on: April 14, 2020, 02:48:18 pm »
Arroyo you are officially crazy.  We always knew it but I'm declaring it.  Awesome work.  A couple of things:

1.  The balls to cut the laminate and THEN try to line it up for the contact cement.  Damn.

I'm considering doing all my laminating like that now.   ;D

Seriously that is just bananas Arroyo.