Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Grid....  (Read 1419 times)

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
Re: The Grid....
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 10:11:21 am »
I don’t know, some of the cabs I see being built approach the dimensions of one of them at least. ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:22:55 am by Arroyo »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2018, 10:24:58 am »
I don’t know, some of the cabs I see being built approach the dimensions of one of them at least. ;)

Heh. Naw, I wasn’t referring to you. Seriously. ;)

But I have seen cabs here that need to upgrade to the husky size in boys pants.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2018, 10:44:08 am »
Heh. Naw, I wasn’t referring to you. Seriously. ;)

But I have seen cabs here that need to upgrade to the husky size in boys pants.

Couldn't pass up the opportunity for a good meme ;)

Got some parts in yesterday, looking forward to posting some actual build pics and updates, not that I don't enjoy the banter ;D

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 10:58:05 am »
Which is part of the problem because of Killer Queen. Nothing infuriates me more than some hipster trying to recruit me to play that game  with 9 of his/her friend’s. Especially when I’m there to chill, drink beer, and enjoy some single player hi score action. Then say I do cave and join in, the first 15 minutes is them explaining to me how to play the darn thing. Yeah “bruhhh” I’ve played this game before. It’s just “okay”.

^This right here. 
If anyone wants to see how NOT to build an Arcade then checkout a 8 player Killer Queen on side by side 50” screens.

I actually like that about Killer queen. Makes the game impossible to see the "Big picture" Your eyes are so focused on what your guy is doing, you are clueless the the fact about how they are scoring. It would be ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- for any other game to be 10" from a massive screen, but it works with that game.

Plus, I really like playing at zapcon to see those 5th graders shocked they are getting their asses handed to them by middle aged dudes. They they don't realize we had that game when we were their age, just called Joust. To hear their pile of excuses and seeing them blame others is gold to my ears.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 11:01:49 am »
Which is part of the problem because of Killer Queen. Nothing infuriates me more than some hipster trying to recruit me to play that game  with 9 of his/her friend’s. Especially when I’m there to chill, drink beer, and enjoy some single player hi score action. Then say I do cave and join in, the first 15 minutes is them explaining to me how to play the darn thing. Yeah “bruhhh” I’ve played this game before. It’s just “okay”.

^This right here. 
If anyone wants to see how NOT to build an Arcade then checkout a 8 player Killer Queen on side by side 50” screens.

I actually like that about Killer queen. Makes the game impossible to see the "Big picture" Your eyes are so focused on what your guy is doing, you are clueless the the fact about how they are scoring. It would be ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- for any other game to be 10" from a massive screen, but it works with that game.

Plus, I really like playing at zapcon to see those 5th graders shocked they are getting their asses handed to them by middle aged dudes. They they don't realize we had that game when we were their age, just called Joust. To hear their pile of excuses and seeing them blame others is gold to my ears.

We should have enough to have a LOCALS v. OUT-OF-TOWNERS Game again! Huzzah!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2018, 11:59:51 am »
Game on!! Was a great final event when we did it 2 years ago, would love to do it again.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
The Grid....
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2018, 12:13:15 pm »
Game on!! Was a great final event when we did it 2 years ago, would love to do it again.

We’re posting this here to get you pumped about ZapCon ‘19, Arroyo!!! [emoji6]

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 12:37:03 pm »

We’re posting this here to get you pumped about ZapCon ‘19, Arroyo!!! [emoji6]

Step 1: Visit Bank - get LOTS of quarters
Step 2: Head to Brewcade and take lessons from opt2not
Step 3: Book ticket to Phoenix for April 2019.
Got it! 

Actually have clients in Arizona, so it's not that crazy. :cheers:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 02:05:35 pm »
If you're getting lessons from me, you won't need a lot of quarters. ;)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2018, 02:28:56 pm »
I'll bring the notepad and a sixpack 8)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2018, 02:45:07 pm »

I truly can’t wait to see you play Robotron at ZapCon!!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Buy a Multimeter
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2018, 02:55:38 pm »
I second that.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2018, 05:16:55 pm »
I truly can’t wait to see you play Robotron at ZapCon!!

I second that.

I'll try not to disappoint. ;)

I can't wait till Robotron is picked for the high-score comp here again.

It was the #5 comp back in 2008, and I was playing on one of those arcade legends machines, before I was able to acquire my grail cab (and yes, it's an actual grail as it took me years to find the cabaret/mini version, and I drove 6 hours to the middle of Washington farmland to get it).  (+_+) won that comp with a score that I can easily get on proper controls now. Using those old Happ Comps were a real pain back then.  Wico-leafz 4 lyfe son!
#5 - Robotron 2084 - Winner: (+_+), Second: opt2not

1500points

• Offline Offline
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2018, 07:51:18 am »
The robot screen name reminds me of just how long it has been since Marc Fournier was around.  He kind of disappeared from teh interwebz?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 01:01:19 am »
Ok, so I need to outline the project timeline.  I recently sold our home and am renting so the bulk of the project up front will be focused on the electronics as I can't really get wood at the moment (insert joke).  So I am focusing on the electronics for now. 

I figured the most difficult part will be figuring out the rotating monitor, so I thought I would start there.  I actually started a little while ago, and got some additional parts this last week that let me make some real head way:

First off, why do a rotating screen?  I found out early on in my searching that playing vertical games (Donkey Kong, 1942, Dig Dug, etc.) looked really weird on a horizontal screen:

Huge black bars on the sides and generally a squished image.

I originally started with this:

A Hitec 755MG with the Servo Block from Servo City.  Solid stuff, but ultimately I found was underpowered for my application.

I am trying to rotate a HP z30i monitor (30" 16:10 LED LCD), which weighs about 17lb, and while I could turn the monitor it never really worked right:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/C7SjthYmb2M

So I got working on a new servo that came in this last week.

Most people when choosing to do a rotating monitor use a big circle to hide the area behind the screen.  I am choosing to do the opposite and instead highlight the area behind the screen with lit artwork:

So to highlight the artwork behind the screen I am choosing to place the monitor on a stand:

Married to a mounting plate:

Which will attach to a VESA mounting plate that will connect to the monitor:

Drilled for the attachments:

Drilled a hole for the shaft (1"):

End result:

Bought a new motor:

A Channel Mount Servo Gearbox from Servo City with 900oz/inch of torque vs. the previous 180oz/inch.
Side view:

Mounted to a channel carriage:

With an assortment of 1" (diameter) 8 spoke hub shafts of various lengths.
Here it is mounted together:

Side view:

Apply the shaft:

And mount it to the mounting plate after drilling some holes:

(upside down)
Attached:

Check voltage before applying:

Bring 12V down to 7.5V:

Hookup Polulu Micro Maestro to power source and Servo Gearbox for control of the servo:

Mount 3 Neodymium magnets to mounting plate head each side lower half of hub shaft (Servo City):

Side view:

Back angle view:

And use the Micro Maestro Control Center to set some target positions.  Here's a fast example:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LJC8qFKfmoM

And slightly slower with a look at the back:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lhv9vV37Mxw

Still waiting on a 1" bearing to support the hub shaft.  Don't know that it really needs it, but perhaps it will help to relieve some strain on the Servo Gearbox.  More to come....

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:27:04 am by Arroyo »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 01:14:49 am »
Too bad you’re not using a 4:3. I think overall it might work better with what you’re trying to accomplish.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 01:15:28 am »
Having said that, I get the size limitations of a 4:3, but oh well.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 08:47:31 am »
Having said that, I get the size limitations of a 4:3, but oh well.
I hear ya, the purist in me agrees, but it wouldn’t match as well with the dynamic monitor and I would give up modern Steam games.  I figure with it being 16:10 it’s closer to 4:3 and the screen area of the 16:10 will be the equivalent of a 24” 4:3 monitor which as you’ve pointed out is tough to come by.  My hope is that a dark enough plexiglass will hide the bezels and the effect will be the floating monitor in 4:3 or 16:10 depending on the game, surround by a continuation of the theme around it.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 09:34:15 am »
As long as you paint everything black behind the plexi, eliminate any light sources internally, and use a "medium"/"Medium light" grade of tinted plexi you'll be fine.  Obviously non-black things that are hidden behind your monitor, like that bad ass rotational rig won't need to be painted black.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 10:35:51 am »
As long as you paint everything black behind the plexi, eliminate any light sources internally, and use a "medium"/"Medium light" grade of tinted plexi you'll be fine.  Obviously non-black things that are hidden behind your monitor, like that bad ass rotational rig won't need to be painted black.
Hey look at that another early riser!
Thanks for the advice Chance.  My hope is to actually have artwork behind the monitor, light it up subtly with LED strips on the internal braces, and that if everything else is black hopefully it will still hide the monitor, if it doesn't then I can always turn the LED's off and it will hide everything.  I'd love to model it in Sketchup but I don't think you could see all the effects of lighting modeled accurately, gonna have to be a leap of faith on this one I think.  Looking forward to calling this part of the project done and moving on to other cool stuff. Cheers :cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 07:43:15 pm »
This rotator is looking great. Rotating screens were all the rage 15 years ago, we barely see them now-a-days.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31