Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Grid....  (Read 182645 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
Re: The Grid....(Redesign)
« Reply #200 on: May 29, 2019, 11:28:44 am »
Garage is clean.....so there's no more excuses. 

should get to cutting soon, hopefully this weekend. 

Let's GO!  Pretty sure you will finish before I do...  :cheers:

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #201 on: June 10, 2019, 11:47:29 am »
Javery – you damn well better finish before me, no one is going to break my record for longest build ever.

Bought wood, printed plans, and setup the tools.

As mentioned bperkins01 has been a huge help to me in the background answering all of my silly questions.  Just to give reference on how inept my wood skills are here’s my shining achievement before building the little control panel:

7th grade wood shop, should’ve taken more notes.

Anyway I had decided prior to consulting bperkins that I was going to print the plans on a 1:1 scale and cut it out and then trace it.  This actually went fairly well, although the first print had been rolled for me tightly by the folks that work at Fedex/kinko’s print, and she threw on some tight rubber bands.  This actually made the longest part of the print off by close to 1/8”.  I had traced the print onto some Masonite (3/16” hardboard) from Home Depot, as I thought I was supposed to.  Turns out I didn’t understand what bperkins was saying.  After realizing I needed to transfer this to the ¾” Maple Plywood that I bought I figured I would try a re-print and control the roll job.  This turned out much better, the plans I quickly got home and laid flat overnight.  All of the measurements were spot on, but I decided it would still be best to draw the straight lines by using the corners of the print for reference and straight edge and pencil:

That’s actually the Masonite, as I had already drawn onto the Plywood, I was using it again to draw the curves as this was going to be the focus for the first challenge, cutting the arcs.

He gave me good advice and although I didn't follow it to a T, I largely borrowed his ideas.

I bought some bender board from the Depot in the molding section:

Bought a bunch of L brackets and screwed them into the bender board being careful to make sure the other side of the L bracket would sit flush with the Masonite.

As was suggested I then used my jigsaw to rough cut as close as possible to the lines I had drawn on the wood:

In order to screw in those L brackets I needed to put some scrap Plywood underneath so that the screws wouldn't show through on the other side.  You can see the rough cut below. 

From there I had to flip it over to use the flush trim bit with the Router and use the bender board as the guide so that I could get the smooth accurate cut I was looking for:

You can see I had to Dremel off some of the screws that came with the L brackets as they were too long and were going to get in the way of the bit.  Not ideal, but I was trying to avoid another trip to the store and lose more time (my biggest problem).

Anyway I was very pleased with the results:

I try to find a way to use the router to make every cut as I love the smooth, consistent finish.
Here are the two templates finished that have the three curves that I needed (all cuts on the right ignore that mistake on the left side). 

This weekend I hope to double stick tape the templates onto the Maple and finish the straight edges and have the sides completed.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #202 on: June 10, 2019, 11:50:28 am »
Javery – you damn well better finish before me, no one is going to break my record for longest build ever.

Why what's your record?  I started my MAME cab in 2014 and its still just a frame.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #203 on: June 10, 2019, 12:03:06 pm »
Javery – you damn well better finish before me, no one is going to break my record for longest build ever

Coming up on eight years for me.  Twelve if you count my first parts order.   :cheers:

I like what you did with the angle iron and the bender board for that curve.  I've been playing around with the an aluminum bar similar to what OND did and having mixed results.

Glad to see you making progress!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #204 on: June 10, 2019, 12:34:50 pm »
Progress!   
Nice work sir.
We will all nudge you along so we can see the final result of the CP.

Then I'll want to redo mine  :P
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: June 10, 2019, 03:49:59 pm »
Good progress Arroyo!  Nice job on the curves - those are the trickiest parts for sure.  Once you get the cabinet assembled things will start moving because you will have something to actually work on.  Don't forget to cut the t-molding slots first though.

I think I'll finish before you - I need 1 more day to get it up and running but until school is out for the kids my free time is non-existent.  Hopefully before the July 4 holiday.   :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #206 on: June 10, 2019, 04:26:17 pm »
Well maybe I’ll have to settle for second or third place.  :P

@bperkins01 – Thanks again, I’m sure I’ll keep lighting up your inbox with some more hand holding. 
We will all nudge you along so we can see the final result of the CP.
I’ll be interested to see if you still think it’s the most interesting thing by the end ;), haven’t pulled all the tricks out of my sleeve yet.

@javery – Thanks for the reminder on the t-molding, I’m already dreading that day. Looking forward to your progress, curious to see how the dust washer comes out.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #207 on: June 10, 2019, 04:30:39 pm »
I like the lighted CP futuristic look you have been working on..  My cabinet is so modular that I can pop of my current CP and pop on a new one if I wanted to down the line.. 
If they ever make a reasonably priced LCD for the marquee - I'd do that too!

Feel free to blow up my inbox..
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
Re: The Grid....
« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2019, 01:11:56 pm »
Wife: So what would you like for Father’s Day honey? 
Me: Time to myself  :o

Got time on Sunday to work on the sides.

Was debating on how I wanted to cut the straight parts, and ultimately settled on using a straight edge metal ruler and a flush trim bit (with the bearing on the top).  I wanted to be as precise as possible so didn’t want to flip the piece over every time to use bottom bearing flush trim bit.   Here’s a picture so you get the idea (I used many more and stronger clamps than in the pic):

And here is how the cuts came out:

Because the ruler wasn’t that thick, there was a little lip where the bit wouldn’t quite cut the top part which meant I would come back with the bottom bearing bit and finish it off smooth.

As before I ruff cut everything with the jigsaw and a straight edge:

Then use the ruler and router.  I really like the way the finish of a router cut looks and feels compared to other methods:

For the curves I laid down the templates that I made last week, clamped them down good

I then flipped the piece over from here and cut with the bottom bearing flush trim bit with the router.

Made a copy by placing the finished piece on top of blank sheet, drew an outline and then ruff cut with the jig saw and then used the router with the flush trim bit (rinse repeat, rinse repeat).

And the sides are finished:

I’d probably be wondering ??? how the hell any control panel would sit on that 2” shelf.  I promise it will make more sense over time.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 03:43:43 pm by Arroyo »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:47:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2019, 01:17:45 pm »
lookin good.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2019, 01:23:26 pm »
Wife: So what would you like for Father’s Day honey? 
Me: Time to myself  :o

Got time on Sunday to work on the sides.

Such a simple thing, but yeah, I think most of us Dads would rather have Me Time than just about anything else.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2019, 01:23:41 pm »
Side #1 - days of thinking and worrying...
Side #2 - 5 minutes 

:applaud:

Nice job  :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #212 on: June 17, 2019, 01:27:01 pm »
You may have mentioned this before, but how does this fold into the wall? Where are the handles so you can carry it to a friend's house? I am very confused. It looks like that cab is just going to sit where you put it. That's crazy talk.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2019, 03:37:34 pm »
You may have mentioned this before, but how does this fold into the wall? Where are the handles so you can carry it to a friend's house? I am very confused. It looks like that cab is just going to sit where you put it. That's crazy talk.

The bottom of the sides looks a bit rounded, and I immediately pictured a rocking chair cab.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #214 on: June 18, 2019, 12:59:02 am »
@ Yotsuya - Is it bad if that’s what I want all the time?

@bperkins - I think by know you know how much I over think these things.  Feeling more confident though to get things done after yesterday.  I think I’m finally getting a feel for this woodworking stuff.  Thanks again for your council.

@Mikey - Ok so you finally figured it out, it’s actually a transformer cab. Folds down to briefcase size, and I specifically designed it to meet carry-on dimensions as I didn’t want any hassles with checking bags. Very mountable as well.

@gingecko - Hehe, not sure I can unseen that now. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #215 on: June 18, 2019, 04:41:50 am »
Very mountable as well.
:o

Luigi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 11:28:40 am
  • Collecting/restoring cabs
« Reply #216 on: June 18, 2019, 07:15:21 am »

I'm sorry mate, I cannot follow this build any longer...this is just too much pr0n for me  :dizzy:

Seriously, this is A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!

The (unexpected) mirroring of the PLAYER 1-font is simply amazing.

Great job, keep going....I will take a look after taking some stuff to lower my blood pressure  :laugh:

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2019, 07:29:23 am »
I LIVE to overthink it too - you are in good company  - that's what we engineers do.  :)

Nice work!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2019, 08:31:38 pm »
Seriously, this is A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!

:cheers: I’ll bank it until I get this thing built.  But helps keep me motivated, so arigato!

@bperkins - glad to be in good company.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2019, 11:28:12 am »
Somehow I always have it in my head that I’m going to knock ten things out on the weekend and I’m lucky if I get 2.  I keep fooling myself about time, and I’m learning that prepping during the week is sooo important to be able to get anything done on the weekend.

Had to spend time playing Tetris with the pieces to make them fit on the remaining stock of wood.  I should have done that from the get go, but hey ya live ya learn.

I continued the 1:1 print  process, and I was reminded this weekend of how frustrating  it can be to get that done in Sketchup, so I figured I would post the process in case it’s helpful to someone.

First you have to isolate the images you are interested in printing, meaning in a new file, otherwise it will try to print everything.
Next you have to select under Camera --> Parallel Projection:

Then File --> Export --> 2D Graphic:

Then choose what format you want to output (PDF is probably easiest for printing):

And probably the most CRITICAL PART.  You selected Parallel Projection to open up the image scale fields as they are greyed out by default:

Here is the CRAZY part, even though it will say 1” for both they AREN’T.  You have to click in them and when you do it will jump to some other number.  Make them both say 1”, and you are good to go.  Always good to check in an image program with a ruler and make sure, but if you follow those steps you should be good.

I thought I would have 10 pieces cut this weekend forgetting that I actually need to draw them on wood first so I really ended up doing mostly that.  I used the print out mostly for the layout on the remaining wood so that I didn’t waste any stock.   I ended up using an Exacto knife to cut out the corners to give references from which to draw. 

On more complex pieces I cut them out and did some tracing/drawing as I seem to CONSTANTLY make errors in reading measurements and then end up doing a lot of erasing and losing time.

Going to work during the week to get things sketched out so that I can hopefully cut again soon, maybe this weekend.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:41:28 pm by Arroyo »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2019, 11:34:00 am »
I plan on playing that cab in December. :bat

no pressure >:D

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2019, 11:40:07 am »
I plan on playing that cab in December. :bat

no pressure >:D

You and the wife.  She has demanded that I have it finished in time for my 40th.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2019, 11:41:19 am »
Somehow I always have it in my head that I’m going to knock ten things out on the weekend and I’m lucky if I get 2.

Isn't that the truth?!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2019, 12:37:39 pm »
Somehow I always have it in my head that I’m going to knock ten things out on the weekend and I’m lucky if I get 2.

Isn't that the truth?!

2?  Why the rush?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2019, 01:35:10 pm »
Well I didn’t knock out 10 but I beat my previous 2 record with 3 panels in one day, so top that Javery  :P

Been progressing along with cutting rectangles.  Am I the only one that thought this would be the stupid easy part only to find that both drawing and cutting exact all around 90 degree’s rectangles is actually pretty tough?  I tried a T-square which seemed great at first until I realized that relies on the edge of the wood being straight.  Then I tried drawing with a right angle, but just getting a little bit off on the angle over a long enough line can really screw that up.  In the end I mostly used the measuring tape, with the right angle to get direction of the lines and then straight edge to connect measured points. 

I found it comical at times all the ways that I had to sometimes set things up just to get a stable cut:

I was getting tired of using my jig and router technique (slow) so I tried the table saw above.  This thing has turned out to be pretty worthless.  The fence on it only extends 12” and you can see there isn’t a lot to stabilize the pieces when feeding it in.  In addition here was the result I got with the cut:

Look at all of that lovely chipping :angry:.  I’m sure there is a way to get it better (I’ve read making two cuts, one pass halfway through the material then run it through again after rasing the blade), but in general this thing stinks.  I guess there is a reason it costs $125.  If I were to do it over again I would skip the cheap table saws. 

It ended up being a blessing though as I hadn’t noticed that the 4’x8’ had warped on me:

Bperkins asked if it might have made contact with some water on one side, and then I remembered that when I moved it I temporarily set in on the grass when opening the side gate, so yeah don’t let your wood touch the grass.

Managed to salvage some parts on the end but lost a lot of material :angry::

These saw horses have been helpful with the groves cut out:

Allowed the jigsaw to pass through and support the piece on the side, and used the wood to keep a piece from sliding (actually fits two pieces of ¾” material perfectly, figured that out after taking the pic.)

Anyway it was back to jigsaw and router, but I wanted to try and speed things up so I tried double stick taping the straight edge to the bottom of a piece cause I got tired of moving clamps to make the cuts (as I showed in the previous posts).

Was going well:

Cut went much faster and was fairly simple to setup until:

When I pulled apart the tape from the straight edge it lifted the maple veneer.  Oh well glue and clamps overnight:

So I went back to my previous method although I think if you paid attention to the direction of the grain and peeled apart from the center of the piece towards the edge rather than the opposite, you probably wouldn’t have this problem  :dunno

Managed to cut out several pieces (back door, marquee top and bottom, speaker panel, and interior braces):

One thing I was super paranoid about was having all of the interior horizontal pieces be all the same width.  Knowing that even being off by 1/16” can affect the rigidity I came up with a good method with the tools I’m using.  I thought ahead and cut the largest pieces that I’ll be using (length wise) that have the same horizontal width.  In this case it was the back door and bottom panel.  After cutting those I then lined up any pieces that needed that width and simply used the router and flush trim bit to get an exact width:

Above pic is lining up the top wood and clamping it down onto the bottom panel and then flush cut it with the router to make the width be identical.

I’m sure that’s enough for now.  Any guess as to what this is for?

Damn I'm sore, nobody ever talks about that.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:50:39 pm by Arroyo »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #225 on: July 08, 2019, 01:47:10 pm »
Nice work.

A good table saw with a good fence and a good blade would help a bunch in the future.

Ask for one for Christmas.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2019, 02:24:18 pm »
Nice work :)

Tough to make many of those cuts without a full sized table saw as Mike A. said - A circular saw with a good blade and a guide fence is reasonably close second place..

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2019, 03:58:24 pm »
Damn I'm sore, nobody ever talks about that.

;D

Great work and perseverance! Accurate cabinetry without a good table saw can be pretty tiring (and slow).  When you start using one, the greater ease  accuracy and speed are really enjoyable.  Thanks for posting lots of pics and covering your challenges in detail.  Things like warping ply or splintering are really common issues when you're getting started in woodworking. 

Those triangular braces are for the special treatment behind the monitor?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #228 on: July 08, 2019, 05:06:12 pm »
Just looked up prices of a good table saw :scared

At those prices I feel like I might want to dump it into a good CNC machine. :dunno

I do enjoy the time outside to myself but damn it's taking a long time to get these cuts made.  I'll have to think about this one.

Those triangular braces are for the special treatment behind the monitor?

Didn't even break a sweat guessing eh?  Nailed it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:53:22 pm by Arroyo »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2019, 06:16:33 pm »
I just did some quick table saw shopping...  They really are big money now..  if your plans do not include any *real* woodworking in the future.. they are a lot of $$$

This here:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/model-ts-55-req-f-plus-plunge-cut-saw-with-55-rail
Is the best (IMHO) alternative and will allow precision cuts - and is reusable!  I own this one (well an earlier version) - Its indispensable..

I've never used this variant:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/kreg-acs-saw-plus-guide-kit-kreg?via=573621bd69702d0676000002%2C573621e069702d0676000f61%2C5764019669702d6582000ed1
But it appears the patents have run out on the Festool since everyone is making tracksaws now..

Finally - I've seen many "Build your own" tracks for standard circular saws that will work just as well and can be made from Masonite and other odd scraps.

The track saw will be WAY simpler than straight edges and routers for your initial cuts.  The router is good for duplicating completed parts that need to be identical (left and right panels for instance).

*good* table saws can be had on craigslist now and then - but they are far between and take up space.  And of course... If a woodworking future isn't a destination.. then still a big expense.

Keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:03:26 pm by bperkins01 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #230 on: July 08, 2019, 06:56:33 pm »
You’ll find a hundred uses for a good table saw that don’t involve bideo gamez. Open the wallet.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #231 on: July 08, 2019, 09:48:29 pm »
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:57:54 am by Arroyo »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #232 on: July 08, 2019, 09:59:55 pm »
First time looking at this since the redesign... The little CP/fightstick is tits! :applaud:

Tron still sucks.
%Bartop

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #233 on: July 08, 2019, 10:29:56 pm »
Pretty lights and a shallow storyline what else could a 12 year old want?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #234 on: July 08, 2019, 10:33:10 pm »
Thanks for the Table Saw research bperkins, I’ll scratch the noggin a time or two.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #235 on: July 08, 2019, 10:36:56 pm »
Pretty lights and a shallow storyline what else could a 12 year old want?

I meant the actual game. Burn them all!!! ;)

Dragon's Lair too!
%Bartop

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #236 on: July 08, 2019, 10:46:34 pm »
I meant the actual game. Burn them all!!! ;)

If I’m honest then yeah Tron game play does kinda suck, shame it was wasted on a beautiful cab design.  I’m down with Discs of Tron, but again prettier cab then amazing game.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #237 on: July 09, 2019, 04:04:18 pm »
Looking good Arroyo - I find that even getting a straight cut with my tablesaw can be a challenge so most of the time I use a flush bit and my router.  Getting the fence exactly parallel to the blade is tough for some reason.  Maybe it's because the fence that came with my saw seems cheap - it can wiggle ever so slightly even when locked in place.  It's been so long since I've even played with it - I probably need a new blade and the whole thing needs a good cleaning.

I also find that working with MDF is easier... but MUCH heavier.  For interior support pieces I just go to Home Depot (or whatever big box store is nearby) and have them cut a bunch of strips to the exact width I need.  Then I cut those strips as necessary to make the top panel, front panel, CP, speaker panel, etc. 

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2019, 06:00:35 pm »
For interior support pieces I just go to Home Depot (or whatever big box store is nearby) and have them cut a bunch of strips to the exact width I need.  Then I cut those strips as necessary to make the top panel, front panel, CP, speaker panel, etc.

Well damn, that just makes too much sense.  Now he tells me... :laugh:

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2019, 08:07:43 pm »
Eh, the home improvement stores around here have started to phase out the "cut to size" service. I ran into this with 8-2 wire. Had to buy 50' more than I needed. YMMV.
%Bartop