Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Grid....(Redesign)  (Read 6728 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
Re: The Grid....(Redesign)
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2018, 01:20:52 pm »
Too close to the crazies in San Francisco/Silicon Valley.  People are dropping their souls and every stock option they have to buy a house, itís insane.  Iíve seen almost $2,000/ft in some areas.
This is one of the reasons I left SF aside from the brutal commute, and the cut-throaty ladder-climbing people. The cost of living is just out-of-control, and I was working at Apple at the time, so the money I was making was really good. But unfortunately the price to live there negated any chance of saving for a home.

Now I live in Southern Cali, took a 40% paycut and now am actually able to save money each month.  :lol  The Bay Area sucks!

Glad to see some updates, Arroyo!

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2018, 01:25:42 pm »
Now I live in Southern Cali, took a 40% paycut and now am actually able to save money each month.  :lol  The Bay Area sucks!

No Robotron lessons then?  Shouldíve called you sooner, thatís a bummer.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2018, 01:49:06 pm »

Yeah, sorry bro :(
We had to get out of there. I was miserable at work, my commute was 3 hours a day, and with no prospect of being able to get ahead financially it just didn't make sense to stay in that area.  Plus SF is not very family friendly, it's more of a city for yuppies or DINK (Dual income no kids) couples.  Quality of life is definitely better for us down here.

If you're ever down in Orange County, I'd be happy to give you some Robotron lessons :)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2018, 02:08:24 pm »
If you're ever down in Orange County, I'd be happy to give you some Robotron lessons :)

Iíll make it happen, be on the lookout.  If not before, then maybe at Zapcon 2019

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
    • Bella's Arcade
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2018, 03:33:40 pm »

We had to get out of there. I was miserable at work, my commute was 3 hours a day, and with no prospect of being able to get ahead financially it just didn't make sense to stay in that area.  Plus SF is not very family friendly, it's more of a city for yuppies or DINK (Dual income no kids) couples.  Quality of life is definitely better for us down here.

Sounds like the bay area is a lot like NYC.  I took a 40% cut a few years ago to get out of the long commute and hyper competitive environment I was in and have never been happier.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2018, 04:44:08 pm »

Sounds like the bay area is a lot like NYC.  I took a 40% cut a few years ago to get out of the long commute and hyper competitive environment I was in and have never been happier.
Yeah, it's actually not that different from what I heard. Our neighbours in SF were from NYC, and they love living in the Bay Area. But they're a rich Jewish couple, Capital Investment type folks, so for them it's no burden to live there.

Glad to see another person choosing Quality of Life over commutes and high paying salaries. Life's too short to waste time on commuting back and forth between home and a high-stress job.  Now I use that 3 hours I gained back (since I live 5 mins away from my work now) to work on projects, art, and spend time with family.   Next will be -- buy a house, eventually, get some workshop space, then finish my Alpha One project.

Sorry to derail your thread, Arroyo.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2018, 04:55:33 pm »
Sorry to derail your thread, Arroyo.

I brought it up, and itís a huge topic of interest at my house.  Glad to see others are figuring out that quality of life trumps all, just wish we could have kept you in the Bay.  You are the only one I knew in the area on these boards.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2018, 06:18:07 pm »
Too close to the crazies in San Francisco/Silicon Valley.  People are dropping their souls and every stock option they have to buy a house, itís insane.  Iíve seen almost $2,000/ft in some areas.
This is one of the reasons I left SF aside from the brutal commute, and the cut-throaty ladder-climbing people. The cost of living is just out-of-control, and I was working at Apple at the time, so the money I was making was really good. But unfortunately the price to live there negated any chance of saving for a home.

Now I live in Southern Cali, took a 40% paycut and now am actually able to save money each month.  [emoji38]  The Bay Area sucks!

Home prices are one of the reasons I turned down a lucrative offer to move to SF.  I live just outside of Raleigh,NC; bought 1.5 acres and built a 2,300sq ft home for  $200,000 a few years back.

Glad this build is still active.  I'm really looking forward to how it turns out.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31