Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Grid....(Redesign)  (Read 8635 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
Re: The Grid....(Redesign)
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2018, 01:20:52 pm »
Too close to the crazies in San Francisco/Silicon Valley.  People are dropping their souls and every stock option they have to buy a house, itís insane.  Iíve seen almost $2,000/ft in some areas.
This is one of the reasons I left SF aside from the brutal commute, and the cut-throaty ladder-climbing people. The cost of living is just out-of-control, and I was working at Apple at the time, so the money I was making was really good. But unfortunately the price to live there negated any chance of saving for a home.

Now I live in Southern Cali, took a 40% paycut and now am actually able to save money each month.  :lol  The Bay Area sucks!

Glad to see some updates, Arroyo!

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2018, 01:25:42 pm »
Now I live in Southern Cali, took a 40% paycut and now am actually able to save money each month.  :lol  The Bay Area sucks!

No Robotron lessons then?  Shouldíve called you sooner, thatís a bummer.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2018, 01:49:06 pm »

Yeah, sorry bro :(
We had to get out of there. I was miserable at work, my commute was 3 hours a day, and with no prospect of being able to get ahead financially it just didn't make sense to stay in that area.  Plus SF is not very family friendly, it's more of a city for yuppies or DINK (Dual income no kids) couples.  Quality of life is definitely better for us down here.

If you're ever down in Orange County, I'd be happy to give you some Robotron lessons :)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2018, 02:08:24 pm »
If you're ever down in Orange County, I'd be happy to give you some Robotron lessons :)

Iíll make it happen, be on the lookout.  If not before, then maybe at Zapcon 2019

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
    • Bella's Arcade
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2018, 03:33:40 pm »

We had to get out of there. I was miserable at work, my commute was 3 hours a day, and with no prospect of being able to get ahead financially it just didn't make sense to stay in that area.  Plus SF is not very family friendly, it's more of a city for yuppies or DINK (Dual income no kids) couples.  Quality of life is definitely better for us down here.

Sounds like the bay area is a lot like NYC.  I took a 40% cut a few years ago to get out of the long commute and hyper competitive environment I was in and have never been happier.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2018, 04:44:08 pm »

Sounds like the bay area is a lot like NYC.  I took a 40% cut a few years ago to get out of the long commute and hyper competitive environment I was in and have never been happier.
Yeah, it's actually not that different from what I heard. Our neighbours in SF were from NYC, and they love living in the Bay Area. But they're a rich Jewish couple, Capital Investment type folks, so for them it's no burden to live there.

Glad to see another person choosing Quality of Life over commutes and high paying salaries. Life's too short to waste time on commuting back and forth between home and a high-stress job.  Now I use that 3 hours I gained back (since I live 5 mins away from my work now) to work on projects, art, and spend time with family.   Next will be -- buy a house, eventually, get some workshop space, then finish my Alpha One project.

Sorry to derail your thread, Arroyo.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2018, 04:55:33 pm »
Sorry to derail your thread, Arroyo.

I brought it up, and itís a huge topic of interest at my house.  Glad to see others are figuring out that quality of life trumps all, just wish we could have kept you in the Bay.  You are the only one I knew in the area on these boards.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2018, 06:18:07 pm »
Too close to the crazies in San Francisco/Silicon Valley.  People are dropping their souls and every stock option they have to buy a house, itís insane.  Iíve seen almost $2,000/ft in some areas.
This is one of the reasons I left SF aside from the brutal commute, and the cut-throaty ladder-climbing people. The cost of living is just out-of-control, and I was working at Apple at the time, so the money I was making was really good. But unfortunately the price to live there negated any chance of saving for a home.

Now I live in Southern Cali, took a 40% paycut and now am actually able to save money each month.  [emoji38]  The Bay Area sucks!

Home prices are one of the reasons I turned down a lucrative offer to move to SF.  I live just outside of Raleigh,NC; bought 1.5 acres and built a 2,300sq ft home for  $200,000 a few years back.

Glad this build is still active.  I'm really looking forward to how it turns out.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2018, 10:45:05 pm »
In contract to purchase a home, this project should get back on track in August.  Looking forward to having my own shop.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2018, 05:08:55 pm »
I'm in the valley and we are getting a ton of Bay Area transplants.  It's starting to make our home prices rise as well.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2018, 07:17:28 pm »
I'm in the valley and we are getting a ton of Bay Area transplants.  It's starting to make our home prices rise as well.

Central or San Fernando?

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2018, 11:51:48 pm »
North Valley, near Sacramento.  A lot of money coming in from the bay.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2018, 12:19:07 am »
North Valley, near Sacramento.  A lot of money coming in from the bay.

Get out, Iím a Davis kid.  Good to know thereís another Northern CA poster on these boards.  Love the tokenization on your build by the way.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2018, 01:38:29 pm »
Thanks!  Davis?  I went to undergrad there!  Lived there about 5 years.  Not much to do, but I had some fun times.  The valley kind of sucks, but it's a good launch pad to go everywhere else.  Cheap cost of living and then we go somewhere else every weekend.   :laugh:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2018, 07:00:12 pm »
Thanks!  Davis?  I went to undergrad there!  Lived there about 5 years.  Not much to do, but I had some fun times.  The valley kind of sucks, but it's a good launch pad to go everywhere else.  Cheap cost of living and then we go somewhere else every weekend.   :laugh:

I think about that every time we try to schlep the kids to Tahoe.   :angry:

Valley is awesome, good quality of life, if there were more jobs Iíd probably have gone back.

If you ever haul that machine to a local place let me know Iíd love to check it out.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2018, 11:55:11 am »
I went back through the first pages of your project.  Kudos, you've got some ambitious electronics in this one!  I'm glad someone is keeping the rotating monitor alive.  I wanted to try one but simply did not have the room for it.  Your servo bracket looks really sharp.  That's a nice looking servo there; I like the Pololu servo controllers too, great company with great customer support.  Can't wait to see it in action.

For the discs, if they're single color, you might just hard wire or to a simple switch since LEDBlinky would only be blinking them off and on.  Save a little complexity?  :dunno

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2018, 04:49:09 pm »
For the discs, if they're single color, you might just hard wire or to a simple switch since LEDBlinky would only be blinking them off and on.  Save a little complexity?  :dunno

Yup, good catch.  I did the part about the transistor without realizing that the iPac Ultimate can handle a 12V supply (duh!).  So now the plan is to use that for both the discs and the Tron stick UV lighting to ride the 12V rail as the LED strips I could find for UV lighting and for the correct color of white weíre all 12V.  This of course assumes the draw on the strips wonít exceed the 1amp makes on the I/O board.....

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2018, 01:55:01 am »
Are you talking about those two auxiliary-like ports it has?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2018, 08:21:14 am »
Are you talking about those two auxiliary-like ports it has?

The upper right hand corner:

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2018, 04:45:24 pm »
OK, yeah, that's what I thought you were referring to.  My recollection could be off, but that port might be a little bit "experimental".  If you haven't already, look into it.  I'll try to find if I had older posts about it (vs email exchanges).  I know I had a weird issue of color blending on some of the other regular ports and it was solved by disabling the high current output...

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2018, 06:04:08 pm »
OK, yeah, that's what I thought you were referring to.  My recollection could be off, but that port might be a little bit "experimental".  If you haven't already, look into it.  I'll try to find if I had older posts about it (vs email exchanges).  I know I had a weird issue of color blending on some of the other regular ports and it was solved by disabling the high current output...

Ah good to know.  Iíll have to dig into that a little deeper when the time comes.  Thanks for the heads up.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31