Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Converting Xtension CB to Xinput - need advice  (Read 1498 times)

jjk73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 03:31:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Converting Xtension CB to Xinput - need advice
« on: January 07, 2018, 10:01:17 pm »
I'm starting from scratch with my PC arcade cabinet UI, and working towards having a handful of Steam games, and Retroarch powering a few mame and console classics, all via BigBox.

Setting up the Steam games controls on my current CB, I'm finding many instances where the keyboard inputs from my Ipac are not supported by the games we'd like to play.  Seeing how most steam games support Xbox controllers, and Retroach too seems to be very friendly towards xbox controllers, I'm coming to the conclusion that utilizing xinput will be more robust and widely supported then keyboard commands from an IPAC.

I have a full cabinet, a Win10 PC, and a Xtension Emulator Edition 2 player CB.  I believe that this CB has the Mini-Pac with wiring harness.  The CB has a trackball mouse.  It was purchased in Dec 2016 http://www.xtensiongaming.com/products/xtension-two-player-control-board-emulator-edition-2/ .  I also have a few old xbox 360 wireless controllers lying around, and a PC/USB wireless adapter that lets them connect to this PC, although I havn't played around much with that aspect yet as I'm still struggling to get the main CB the way I want it.

In my head, I'm envisioning the CB acting always as player 1 and 2, being recognized in RA and steam games as Xbox controller 1 and 2, and when we want to have 3 or 4 players join in, we turn on one of the wireless Xbox controllers and it then gets recognized as player 3 and or 4. 

Thoughts on the best way to accomplish this?  Pitfalls i'm not aware of when going to this setup?

I know there's a console adapter sold, but that's only for the IPAC2.  Is best bet to buy an IPAC2 and 2 of those?

I found the UHID on the Ultimac site.  Is this my solution?  It seems to say I could use this to output gamepad, keyboard etc.  Seems I can keep my trackball functional, LED's lit, and it even looks superficially to be the same pin layout as the Mini-PAC so I could use the same harness and just swap that board out.  Could it be that simple?  Does this UHID output 2 different Xinput (player1 and player2) controllers over the one USB?

theolditguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2023, 02:39:20 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Converting Xtension CB to Xinput - need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:38:26 pm »
I am in the EXACT same boat, xtension controller looking to convert to x-input for modern steam games. I might be one step ahead as I actually purchased the I-PAC ultimate in hopes I can turn it into two input devices but I have yet to tear my xtension controller apart.  Someone has to have tried this or solved it differently already?