Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mario Kart Arcade GP DX  (Read 38152 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX
« on: January 07, 2018, 07:02:13 pm »
I thought I'd start a new thread on this game since its playable now and everybody is hyper focused on Daytona. I'm hoping the english version gets dumped but in the mean time its pretty damned cool that this is working. I know a lot of people feel the arcade MK games are too simple, but out of the 3 this is definitely the best one. The fact that networking is working already is huge for me. I've been waiting for a LAN capable MK game for a while now. This will be great for when I eventually finish my 4 player set up.

The only other LAN capable MK game playable on PC is Double dash. While that's my favorite Mario Kart game, the LAN stuff is not ideal. Its a bit of a pain to set up and you cant pick your character ect. Its a bit dwarfed I think because of the limits of the Gamecube Lan adapter. The simplicity of Arcade GP DX is actually a plus if you have people playing it that don't usually play video games. The game is set up so you can just sit down and play with very little practice. That's great for me because most of my friends aren't really gamers, but they do love Mario Kart.

Its a little weird the way the game is set up, really like a single player game. You have to actually unlock everything on the actual arcade machine, so if you sit down and someone hasn't come along before you and unlocked 100cc then you cant play it until its unlocked. There's also a ton of extra vehicles and power ups that have to be unlocked. Plays like a single player campaign...

vice350z

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2019, 08:14:19 pm
  • BRINGO!!!
    • Sirius 66 - The Beat
Re: Mario Kart Arcade GP DX
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:17:22 pm »
This a lot better than MKAGP2 that you can play on the TriForce emulator?

Your last sentence about has to be unlocked by someone...do you mean only on the actual arcade machine?

I was watching the Teknoparrot guy's stream of him playing DX and he was having issues at the end of races where it wasn't saving or something.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:47:35 pm »

Your last sentence about has to be unlocked by someone...do you mean only on the actual arcade machine?

I was watching the Teknoparrot guy's stream of him playing DX and he was having issues at the end of races where it wasn't saving or something.

Yes it is definitly better than GP1 and GP2 in my opinion. It saves fine for me. Either way in the emulator or the Arcade machine, you have to unlock everything... I'm sure there is probably a setting in the test menu to unlock everything but by defualt and in this version it plays like a single player game. When you first start the game you can only play 50cc. You have to beat all the tracks under 50cc before you can unlock 100cc mode and so on. You also have to unlock extra vehicles and power ups by collecting coins on the track. After each race there is a slot machine where you unlock a random yoshi egg that contains a power up or a vehicle... There will be power ups that you see the AI using all the time but you can't use them until you unlock them and create a sort of custom load out of the power ups you want to use during the race. There are also a couple slots for unlockable characters but I'm not sure how you get those.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 07:55:23 pm »
You can see the whole set up in the video below... After looking more carefully it seem the Japanese version may be very different from the American version. It could also be the version number. I heard in later updates to the game they added drifting and what not. So maybe the teknoparrot version is an early version.

vice350z

• Offline Offline
  • BRINGO!!!
    • Sirius 66 - The Beat
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:00:46 pm »

Yes it is definitly better than GP1 and GP2 in my opinion. It saves fine for me. Either way in the emulator or the Arcade machine, you have to unlock everything... I'm sure there is probably a setting in the test menu to unlock everything but by defualt and in this version it plays like a single player game. When you first start the game you can only play 50cc. You have to beat all the tracks under 50cc before you can unlock 100cc mode and so on. You also have to unlock extra vehicles and power ups by collecting coins on the track. After each race there is a slot machine where you unlock a random yoshi egg that contains a power up or a vehicle... There will be power ups that you see the AI using all the time but you can't use them until you unlock them and create a sort of custom load out of the power ups you want to use during the race. There are also a couple slots for unlockable characters but I'm not sure how you get those.

ah, i see what you mean. I was reading it wrong. Will check it out. TP guy was flying the the menus that were in japanese. You'd think there would be a setting to change language.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 08:03:35 pm »

ah, i see what you mean. I was reading it wrong. Will check it out. TP guy was flying the the menus that were in japanese. You'd think there would be a setting to change language.

Yeah I wish, unfortunately there's no way to even get into the test menu so even if there was you cant change it... But still its pretty awesome.

douggle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 08:57:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 08:46:31 pm »
I got this going through Teknoparrot earlier insanely fun

vice350z

• Offline Offline
  • BRINGO!!!
    • Sirius 66 - The Beat
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 07:20:59 pm »
got it up and running...hard to compare to MK8. GPDX just looks like an arcade game, very colorful and stuff....MK8, while still looks good, just something lacking with it compared to GPDX. Unless I'm just blind and psychologically i just assume arcade has to be better/more powerful than Switch.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 07:47:48 pm »
MK8 is a much more complex complete, fully realized game. GPDX is more simple because its an arcade game. I would agree that its hard to compare them. I think that MK8 is a great game. GPDX is also great for what it is. The switch is actually probably more capable than the arcade hardware in GPDX, don't forget the game came out years ago. But it doesn't really matter they are both good for different reasons.

vice350z

• Offline Offline
  • BRINGO!!!
    • Sirius 66 - The Beat
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 07:51:40 pm »
They're both fun. I have the disc for my WiiU but too lazy to move the console to my projector so I just use CEMU there.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 04:42:10 pm »
Decided to give this new version of Teknoparrot a try today. Wow, what a massive improvement! All the games I've been using in previous versions worked first time and no need to mess around with Com2Com anymore to get controls working. Awesome. Lets Go Island also works for me now without having to go through the complicated faff of using DxWnd and I'd say everything in the GUI feels far more streamlined now. Really great work by Reaver.  Also got my old dump of Battle Gear 4 working with it (without music for some reason though) and Chase HQ 2 (I'd never got around to adding the analog control fix to it and now I don't need to bother!)

Agree with all the above comments about Mario Kart Arcade GP DX. It's not just the fact it's running on better hardware, the game definitely feels more polished overall compared to the original Triforce MKAGP games. Now if only Reaver could add H2Overdrive to Teknoparrot...

vice350z

• Offline Offline
  • BRINGO!!!
    • Sirius 66 - The Beat
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 06:29:56 pm »
I rather listen to the female japanese announcer throughout the game vs the annoying male english announcer from the other MK arcade game

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 08:03:28 pm »
Decided to give this new version of Teknoparrot a try today. Wow, what a massive improvement! All the games I've been using in previous versions worked first time and no need to mess around with Com2Com anymore to get controls working. Awesome. Lets Go Island also works for me now without having to go through the complicated faff of using DxWnd and I'd say everything in the GUI feels far more streamlined now. Really great work by Reaver.  Also got my old dump of Battle Gear 4 working with it (without music for some reason though) and Chase HQ 2 (I'd never got around to adding the analog control fix to it and now I don't need to bother!)

Agree with all the above comments about Mario Kart Arcade GP DX. It's not just the fact it's running on better hardware, the game definitely feels more polished overall compared to the original Triforce MKAGP games. Now if only Reaver could add H2Overdrive to Teknoparrot...

Yeah H2Overdrive would be awesome... I'm actually hoping they get networking working with Sonic and allstars... I definitely prefer Transformed, and my plan was to put joysticks on all of my cabs in my 4 player setup so we could play the flight parts in transformed, but GPDX has really made me think. Sometimes simpler is better if you are dealing with people who don't normally play games. I think it would be much easier for someone to pick up and play MKGPDX than it would be for Double Dash. Same goes for sonic. Even though transformed is the better game. I think the original would require less instruction...

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 08:05:46 pm »
I rather listen to the female japanese announcer throughout the game vs the annoying male english announcer from the other MK arcade game

Yeah I think the English version of GPDX has kind of an annoying announcer as well, but I still kind of hope that version comes to Teknoparrot at some point. I've heard in later versions of the game they added real drifting and stuff too. But for now I will take what I can get and be happy to get it.  :)

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 08:11:44 pm »

Yeah I think the English version of GPDX has kind of an annoying announcer as well, but I still kind of hope that version comes to Teknoparrot at some point. I've heard in later versions of the game they added real drifting and stuff too. But for now I will take what I can get and be happy to get it.  :)

From what I've heard the English version isn't as good apparently missing features the jap version got

I just hacked it to get rid of the female announcer. She was annoying

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 08:13:45 pm »
Yeah an English patch would probably be better than the true English release. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 10:33:57 am »

That may be possible, there's a guy on Youtube that has a video about how easy it is to hack the game. I guess the Textures are .DDS files? Whatever that means. And the music is all .WAV packaged in another format.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 11:52:32 am »

Yup totally hoping for this!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 02:33:48 pm »
Been trying to get this to run for me but I just keep getting a black screen after the "loading" screen.
After doing some reading I found you can load it without tekno parrot by deleting the data_jp folder which is located in the the folder is located in the Data / TxtMessage directory.

Then just run the exe.

I still cant get anything other than a black screen but I would be interested to know if it works for anyone else?

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 02:59:30 pm »
Been trying to get this to run for me but I just keep getting a black screen after the "loading" screen.
After doing some reading I found you can load it without tekno parrot by deleting the data_jp folder which is located in the the folder is located in the Data / TxtMessage directory.

Then just run the exe.

I still cant get anything other than a black screen but I would be interested to know if it works for anyone else?

Try reading the Teknoparrot Readme, it has info on getting each game running. I doubt all the controls will work without teknoparrot, so I wouldn't waste too much time on that...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 03:06:22 pm »

Then just run the exe.

Try reading the Teknoparrot Readme, it has info on getting each game running. I doubt all the controls will work without teknoparrot, so I wouldn't waste too much time on that...

I cant see anything in the readme except for it stating bug fixes.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 03:10:07 pm »
did you install the directx 2010 SDK files?

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 03:42:50 pm »

Then just run the exe.

Assuming you are running teknoparrot 1.32 or .33. In one of the readme files there is definitely a section where it explains how to set up the game. Use CTRL+F and then search for Mario Kart. It even has a link to the DX 2010 files

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 03:52:23 pm »

Then just run the exe.

Assuming you are running teknoparrot 1.32 or .33. In one of the readme files there is definitely a section where it explains how to set up the game. Use CTRL+F and then search for Mario Kart. It even has a link to the DX 2010 files

Ime running 1.33.
I have tried to install DX SDK but the install keeps erroring out.

Ive attatched the readme I have but I see nothing obvious in it unless ime reading over it?

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 04:51:18 pm »
Looks like the info was in the readme for 1.32. I haven't changed to 1.33 since there doesnt seem much reason to. You may have to remove some old versions of DX. Watch the video...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 05:37:16 pm »
Looks like the info was in the readme for 1.32. I haven't changed to 1.33 since there doesnt seem much reason to. You may have to remove some old versions of DX. Watch the video...

Thanks ile give it a try tomorrow :)

vice350z

• Offline Offline
  • BRINGO!!!
    • Sirius 66 - The Beat
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:21 pm »

Then just run the exe.

Did you install the 2 items mentioned in the teknoparrot's wiki?

I'd post the link but not sure if we're allowed to but you can easily search it

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 03:27:11 am »
I got it running, and it looks like fun, but it's running slow for me. It's not stuttering - the video is still smooth, but it's like 20% slower than it should be. The dump is Japanese, and I'm in America, so it shouldn't be a PAL-to-NTSC issue, right?
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 06:33:10 am »
I got it running, and it looks like fun, but it's running slow for me. It's not stuttering - the video is still smooth, but it's like 20% slower than it should be. The dump is Japanese, and I'm in America, so it shouldn't be a PAL-to-NTSC issue, right?

Not on a PC based game no.
More likely to be you CPU or GPU not quite keeping up?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 08:12:28 am »
Ive had round 2 with it and still cant get anything other than a black screen after the loading screen.
Installed the SDK, Reinstalled the DX 2010 run times etc etc no dice.

I can only assume its a Spec issue as ime trying it on my laptop.

Might give it a go on the Arcade PC when I get 5 as thats a much higher spec system.

vice350z

• Offline Offline
  • BRINGO!!!
    • Sirius 66 - The Beat
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 11:47:39 am »

Shouldn't be...i'm in 'Murica and it runs just fine for me.

Could it be a bad dump? I couldn't get Sega Rally 3 running on Teknoparrot. Asked in Discord and a bunch of settings/file names weren't right compred to other folks able to play it. Found out I had a ---smurfy--- dump that wasn't set up right off a french emu forum. Found a correct version and played just fine.

Not saying this is the case for your Kart...but you never know. Unless its your PC specs. I'm playing easily on my non-gaming PC that has an i5 2500k and a GTX 1060

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 05:44:32 pm »
I should've mentioned my specs to start with, I'm just not used to them being a consideration - all my other emulation and games run fine. I have an i5-3470,  8 GB RAM, and a GeForce GT 710
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 09:36:30 pm »
I should've mentioned my specs to start with, I'm just not used to them being a consideration - all my other emulation and games run fine. I have an i5-3470,  8 GB RAM, and a GeForce GT 710

That's weird, I'd have thought that should be enough to handle the game full speed.

LimitZer0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2019, 05:49:21 pm
  • ...this course is really tough!
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 10:41:22 pm »
Does anyone have advice on how to get the TeknoParrot UI to recognize my G27 in order to do input mapping?

EDIT: Nevermind. I had to create a "DirectInputOverride.txt" in the TeknoParrot directory with my wheels GUID in it. I have too many direct input devices for it to deal with I guess.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:09:06 pm by LimitZer0 »

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 11:34:37 am »

So my old PC spec is an I5 2400, 8gb and a geforece 750ti. Our processors are very similar, in fact I think yours may be a bit more powerful. However I think the weak link may be your GPU. The game runs smooth for me on this spec except for the occasional hicup.

https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3515&gid2=2889&compare=geforce-gt-710-v2-vs-geforce-gtx-750-ti-inno3d-oc-2gb-edition

The odd thing for me is that the game looks much smoother especially the 2d stuff like character photos when you are selecting a character and the static images that show when the track is loading on my newer PC. On my older PC it looks like its running at a lower res in general. I thought resolution was sort of baked into the exe on this version because you can't change any of the setting in the INIs... I wonder if its just that my newer GPU (Geforce 1050ti) is more advance and performing some kind of automatic smoothing or something.

Sad thing is I may have to upgrade the pcs I'm gonna use in my 4 player set-up. Between this and Daytona Championship having network support. I want to make sure everything runs smooth so I may have to get more powerful PCs for that project. More money...  :-\

RetroRacer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2018, 10:54:30 am
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2018, 11:56:43 am »
Can anyone do a step by step for MKDX LAN play setup?

I have the game running with TP on two machines LAN linked but no clue and can't understand Japanese!

Thanks

nugarp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:34 pm
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2018, 03:05:12 pm »
Can anyone do a step by step for MKDX LAN play setup?

I have the game running with TP on two machines LAN linked but no clue and can't understand Japanese!

Thanks
Hit test menu, go to the second or 3rd option (no harm if you go to the wrong one, you can go back). Look for an option that has a "1" on the right. It's the first option if you're on the right menu screen. Change that to 2. Exit game. Run both games and it should work.

Sorry not that detailed but this is off the top of my head.

I would also recommend getting the Google translate app (that's what I used), which lets you take a picture and translates the text for you!

Edit: to be clear, the "1" that's being changed to a "2" is CabinetId. So only do that on one of the machines!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:05:14 pm by nugarp »
Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

RetroRacer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2018, 10:54:30 am
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 04:41:25 pm »
Thanks fella, currently trying to resolve my sega rally 3 issue but will get to this.  Great tip about google!  Thanks for the fast reply, really appreciate it

bcgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2021, 02:33:37 pm
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 06:21:46 pm »
I’m using teknoparrot and I can’t get to the actual race, I’ve proceeded thru every menu and when I select to what I believe is the actual race I’m stuck at this screen??

It’s not frozen as the music continuously plays and the screen animations keep going but I cannot advance to the actual race

Any ideas?

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2018, 06:36:34 pm »
I have never seen that before while playing the game.