Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2018 Chuff thread - is it chuffy in here?  (Read 133873 times)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: 2018 Chuff thread - is it chuffy in here?
« Reply #880 on: December 21, 2018, 03:58:11 am »
Had a productive few days,  Sorted out and wallpapered the spare room downstairs ready for some display cabinets to go in. (Not a job I relished but it had to be done as the Disney collection is getting out of hand). Finally got round to framing up a bunch of coasters the wife bought,  Artist is Angel Egle Wierenga,  Need to adjust beetlejuice slightly but happy with the result otherwise. Oh and the wifes christmas present arrived just in time,  should keep her busy for a while. (I got the full castle kit and the LED addon)

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #881 on: December 21, 2018, 08:19:24 am »
...trying to cure childhood epilepsy.

Your ass better look in the mirror everyday and tell yourself how lucky you are.

It's something I think about daily.  I work in the Texas Medical Center and the experience will make one extraordinarily grateful for their own health.

:cheers:

Having a mild form of epilepsy myself it makes me super chuffed that your wife is doing the work she is doing. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:51:51 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #882 on: December 22, 2018, 07:22:03 pm »
One thing that has been quite surprising is finding out how many people we know that have struggled with it either personally or within their immediate families.  She's doing some fascinating work with genetic analysis of brain and blood samples.  The kind of stuff that was science fiction 20 years ago.

Two other things in my life. Last night I went to a successful defense celebration party. And it was at a mezcal bar. Now I've had mezcal and worm salt and they were amongst the worst things I've ever tasted.

Also, brisket was $1.50/lb today.

Pics related.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #883 on: December 22, 2018, 07:51:35 pm »
So about a month ago my company lost 2 projects that our publishers pull out from. That was a huge blow, that crippled the studio. We had laid off over half our staff, and if we didn’t get another project signed before Christmas break, the studio would have been shut down.

On Friday, our CEO told us he came into the office with the intention of laying everyone off because we weren’t able to get anything signed, until about an hour before his lay-off meeting with us all, he received a call from a publisher we were talking to, and they offered us a contract!! Talk about by the skin of our teeth!
This was definitely a Christmas miracle, and has been a huge weight off my shoulders. I’ve been working crazy hours the last month, from trying to build up demos and pitches, to updating my own portfolio for my contingency plan in case I got laid off. I was pulling off consistent 14 hour work days, and sleeping maybe 4 hours a night.

I’m chuffed I have a job waiting for me when we get back from break, and I get to spend the holidays relaxed and worry-free with family. *phew*

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #884 on: December 22, 2018, 08:48:04 pm »
Damn, son.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #885 on: December 23, 2018, 09:26:17 am »
Also, brisket was $1.50/lb today.

Every once in a while I'll buy a mini brisket out of the discount bin and smoke it on a gas grill with a smoke tube.
Not ideal, but the last few turned out pretty good.

A few weeks ago I tried to do one in sub-freezing temperatures.  I went by the thermometer in the top of the grill which in retrospect was a LOT colder than grill level.
I caught on about an hour later because the edges were curling up and the bottom was charred.  The internal temp was actually good, but the meat was as tough as shoe leather because it didn't have time to break down.
Here is the reason I share this story:  Supposedly a sous vide will never overcook because it never goes above finish temperature.
48 hours at 155° and my brisket was salvaged.  The inside was still just as pink as when it went into the sous vide.
So if you ever have a brisket turn out tougher than you'd like, throw it in a sous vide bath for a couple days.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #886 on: December 23, 2018, 09:52:23 am »
So about a month ago my company lost 2 projects that our publishers pull out from. That was a huge blow, that crippled the studio. We had laid off over half our staff, and if we didn’t get another project signed before Christmas break, the studio would have been shut down.

On Friday, our CEO told us he came into the office with the intention of laying everyone off because we weren’t able to get anything signed, until about an hour before his lay-off meeting with us all, he received a call from a publisher we were talking to, and they offered us a contract!! Talk about by the skin of our teeth!
This was definitely a Christmas miracle, and has been a huge weight off my shoulders. I’ve been working crazy hours the last month, from trying to build up demos and pitches, to updating my own portfolio for my contingency plan in case I got laid off. I was pulling off consistent 14 hour work days, and sleeping maybe 4 hours a night.

I’m chuffed I have a job waiting for me when we get back from break, and I get to spend the holidays relaxed and worry-free with family. *phew*

Wow, I had this kind of work environment for several years. It scarred me permanently. I will always keep a healthy emergency fund and anytime we have company meetings and some executive gives a speech on how great things are going, I never believe them and start thinking I need to look for a new job.

Good job on a restful holiday!

I am also looking to make a job shift. I am switching jobs in January and enjoying my holiday break off. I'm super excited about it!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #887 on: December 23, 2018, 10:37:17 am »
For awhile, my family was on this kick of leave a brisket in an oven overnight at 200 degrees, and then basically throw it on a grill and scorch it to get a bark. And that trick actually turns out decent brisket.

One day, I thought, how about I blacken it first and then bake it.

The brisket caught fire. I put the lid on my charcoal smoker. The temperature needle spun around twice. Then the dial went black. Then the paint on the smoker burst into flames.

I went in there with long tongs and pulled it out. We cut off the ash and put the rest in the oven.

It came  out kinda okay.

Also, Texas football double header. This is why pedestals are best.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 02:59:50 pm by pbj »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #888 on: December 24, 2018, 12:18:19 pm »
I finally got to post 1337 and  I get to have two days off work when it isn't just a weekend  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2

Not sure if chuffy or not, But after 34 years I have only just noticed the time machine gag in Gremlins.  I'd always been so distracted by Robby the robot that I hadn't noticed it in the background and then not in the background  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

This was also post 888 in the thread, how lucky is that :)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #889 on: December 30, 2018, 05:06:14 pm »
Family vacation, away from it all.  That,s some random lady kayaking in front of me. Looking forward to numerous projects in the new year and seeing some of you as well.   :cheers: